Famitsu scores: Tales of Graces 9/9/9/9

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendo-wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendo-wins
Member since 2009 • 162 Posts
Hello, This is to let everyone know that the upcoming Wii game, "Tales of Graces" received the score of 9/9/9/9 (36/40) from Famitsu magazine. The game will be released next week in Japan. Unlike the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Graces received a better score and perhaps better sales as it is a high-profile Tales game. We may not know until next week, but like Samurai Warriors 3, it will be bundled with the Wii console. Link: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/28712/
suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

I think Famitsu is being too lenient lately. Too many scores of 40 or near 40.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

suntaice

There was never any written rule that states that perfect scores should only be passed out after a certain amount of years or once a generation. If they feel a game is good, then that's just how they feel. Also this game got a 36, 4 short of perfect. That's still damn good coming from Famitsu.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I can't wait for this game. I really hope it gets localized for the States and soon. I love the Tales of series, so I'm naturally looking forward to Graces very much.

nintendo-wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nintendo-wins

suntaice
Correct, and often the written reviews do not show why the four editors gave their scores as they each consist of a sentence or two. Having four games (Dragon Quest IX, Monster Hunter 3, Bayonetta, and now New Super Mario Bros. Wii) receiving 40/40 scores in 2009 shows that Famitsu is becoming too lenient. I wonder why, as more than 50% of Famitsu's 40/40 club came from games released from 2008 to the present. I would not be surprised that another high-profile game (I know that game is) will become the fifth game to receive the score this year. It seems to me that often the high-profile Japanese and Western games receive the high scores regardless of their noticable flaws, but the low-profile games often do not and Famitsu rate them harshly. Rarely do a high-profile game even receive a score below 32-30/40. Let us hope that next year, Famitsu will not give out too many 40/40 scores as this year has enough of them.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

I hope they localize this soon...if not, it's another import for me :P.

Zebradude911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zebradude911
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
While I don't really have a stance on the whole Famitsu scoring leniency, I do think they at least have a reason for giving it a score that high. And as others have said, it is a whole four points short of perfect. Sure, it is only four points, but that means the game isn't perfect.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

Does anyone know if this is the highest scoring Tales game yet? The other two Tales games I've played, Symphonia and Vesperia, were both very good (I would have given Symphonia a 10 if I had reviewed it).

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
For anyone interested in the review... here's a crappy translation of summary (It was first in Japanese, then translated into Korean, then i translated it to English) keep in mind that i had to change around the sentence to make it flow better and etc. Clear time 40~45 hours. Doing additional sidequests and etc, 80 hours+ Systems like battles and cooking are boldly renovated, and it gives a fresh twist to the tried-and-true Tales formula The battles are fun to fight strategically Cooking and making items are automatically done, and it's convenient DS connectivity is satisfying Most of the game systems are redesigned (renovated) and have fresh feeling It is surprsingly deep in terms of gameplay systems, But it also hits the balance by allowing it to be played rather casually Battle is more fast-paced, and encrouages player to develop their own unique strategy on approaching enemies The side-stepping adds twist to dodging, and the action and strategy for the battle has been upgraded Battle tempo is impressive It is fun to maximize the perimeter and the damage of your attacks by gaining titles There are tons of stories and events for each of the characters, but sometimes they feel little too average? Battle is surpringly fast-paced with lightning speed and it is refreshing There are a lot of features and it takes a while to master them all But the game is designed in a way that it allows casual play, while rewarding strategized approach with satisfying experience It takes all the classic Tales features, such as battles, cooking, skits, titles, etc, and re-examine & reinvent to make it a refreshing entry to the series
Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts
36/40's a good score, one point higher than both versions of Tales of Vesperia. Here's hoping that Namco releases it in the US.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#11 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

For anyone interested in the review... here's a crappy translation of summary (It was first in Japanese, then translated into Korean, then i translated it to English) keep in mind that i had to change around the sentence to make it flow better and etc. Clear time 40~45 hours. Doing additional sidequests and etc, 80 hours+ Systems like battles and cooking are boldly renovated, and it gives a fresh twist to the tried-and-true Tales formula The battles are fun to fight strategically Cooking and making items are automatically done, and it's convenient DS connectivity is satisfying Most of the game systems are redesigned (renovated) and have fresh feeling It is surprsingly deep in terms of gameplay systems, But it also hits the balance by allowing it to be played rather casually Battle is more fast-paced, and encrouages player to develop their own unique strategy on approaching enemies The side-stepping adds twist to dodging, and the action and strategy for the battle has been upgraded Battle tempo is impressive It is fun to maximize the perimeter and the damage of your attacks by gaining titles There are tons of stories and events for each of the characters, but sometimes they feel little too average? Battle is surpringly fast-paced with lightning speed and it is refreshing There are a lot of features and it takes a while to master them all But the game is designed in a way that it allows casual play, while rewarding strategized approach with satisfying experience It takes all the classic Tales features, such as battles, cooking, skits, titles, etc, and re-examine & reinvent to make it a refreshing entry to the seriesfunsohng

Thanks!

I was hoping to see the review. It sounds fun. I'm just coming off of Tales of Vesperia right now and I don't plan on playing Dawn of the New World for my Wii. But waiting for Graces sounds like it'll be worth it!

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Hmm... here's hoping it'll come out here, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 suntaice

For anyone interested in the review... here's a crappy translation of summary (It was first in Japanese, then translated into Korean, then i translated it to English) keep in mind that i had to change around the sentence to make it flow better and etc. Clear time 40~45 hours. Doing additional sidequests and etc, 80 hours+ Systems like battles and cooking are boldly renovated, and it gives a fresh twist to the tried-and-true Tales formula The battles are fun to fight strategically Cooking and making items are automatically done, and it's convenient DS connectivity is satisfying Most of the game systems are redesigned (renovated) and have fresh feeling It is surprsingly deep in terms of gameplay systems, But it also hits the balance by allowing it to be played rather casually Battle is more fast-paced, and encrouages player to develop their own unique strategy on approaching enemies The side-stepping adds twist to dodging, and the action and strategy for the battle has been upgraded Battle tempo is impressive It is fun to maximize the perimeter and the damage of your attacks by gaining titles There are tons of stories and events for each of the characters, but sometimes they feel little too average? Battle is surpringly fast-paced with lightning speed and it is refreshing There are a lot of features and it takes a while to master them all But the game is designed in a way that it allows casual play, while rewarding strategized approach with satisfying experience It takes all the classic Tales features, such as battles, cooking, skits, titles, etc, and re-examine & reinvent to make it a refreshing entry to the seriesfunsohng

What is the DS connectivity component? Is there a Tales game on DS?

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 X-Remnant

suntaice

Yes, two or three I believe. Which is why I'm not expecting this to leave japan.

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 suntaice

What a shame if it will not be released outside Japan. The Wii lacks quality RPGs.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

hope they're right about this game

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
first, 8/7/8/7 IS a good score. why people are treating everything under a 9 as a 2... they liked FFCC, they think it's good, just not perfect. second, that's a great score. but the game looks really good, so i'd guess it would receive good scores.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Everything I've seen of this game embarrasses the titles being released today.

DS downloadable dungeon crawl (yes that's what it is), system techs, customization, a full card game (hint: the cards are nostalgia), 4 player support, and an original soundtrack.

As for the DS games, Square is releasing Itadaki Street (called Dragon Quest Party, sadly) to America, at this point anything has a chance.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

They better release this game outside of japan, I like the Tales of series! :o

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X-Remnant

What a shame if it will not be released outside Japan. The Wii lacks quality RPGs.

suntaice

D= Indeed.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
i hope we get this game, buut since we get the axe so often...At the other hand, Namco often gets good profits on Tales series on the wii so this might see its chance.After all, Namco ALSO knows the RPG wii market is not saturated with competition. So, localization ASAP please.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Great news... now where's the localization. :P

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zeus-Guy

[QUOTE="suntaice"]

X-Remnant

Yes, two or three I believe. Which is why I'm not expecting this to leave japan.

Isn't that just some downloadable mini-game for the DSi? And why would that have any impact on a US release?

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

suntaice

ya they should be more like gamespot,

oh wait, isnt gamespot the site that gave like 9.0-9.5 to about 10 sequels in the past month? =O

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
YAY! Im sure its probably overated (cause i hate weird colored haired main characters (especially if male)) but now i know i will probably get it :D
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funsohng
[QUOTE="Zeus-Guy"]

[QUOTE="X-Remnant"]

[QUOTE="suntaice"]

Isn't that just some downloadable mini-game for the DSi? And why would that have any impact on a US release?

Tales of Hearts (anime, CG-cutscene versions), Tales of Innocence, and Tales of the Tempest were released on DS only in Japan and yeah you are right, it won't impact NA release because the DS connectivity is with DSiware ToG original mini-game
Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zeus-Guy
Tales of Hearts (anime, CG-cutscene versions), Tales of Innocence, and Tales of the Tempest were released on DS only in Japan...funsohng
Did they ever give a reason as to why? I heard Tempest never got a US release because it did very poorly in Japan, but I never heard a reason for the other two.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Tales of Hearts (anime, CG-cutscene versions), Tales of Innocence, and Tales of the Tempest were released on DS only in Japan...Zeus-Guy
Did they ever give a reason as to why? I heard Tempest never got a US release because it did very poorly in Japan, but I never heard a reason for the other two.

i dont think any tales game ever was a hit in US
nintendo-wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendo-wins

What is the DS connectivity component?

suntaice
You must be thinking about the DS minigame Kamenin Merchant which is downloaded from Tales of Graces to a DS using DS Download Play. The game has nothing to do with Graces or the Tales series. Link: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/02/tales_of_graces_update/
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeus-Guy"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Tales of Hearts (anime, CG-cutscene versions), Tales of Innocence, and Tales of the Tempest were released on DS only in Japan...funsohng

i dont think any tales game ever was a hit in US

im pretty sure symphonia was a hit seeing as it was one of the only rpgs on the gamecube. I also thought that a lot of people liked the ps1 ones. Mind you, i only have legendia, abyss, symphonia and dawn of the new world ( and of those i have only finished and liked the symphonia duo because of story cause abyss had fine gameplay but i hated its story and legendia was boring and short so i gave up in the character chapters).

EDIT: symphonia also got one of those platinum releases so im guessing it did fine

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts
Looks and sounds incredible, better than Vesperia. Importing ASAP