External storage solution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

treepop99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 treepop99
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

I am looking for the best bang for the buck external solution for my wii u. I was thinking of a flash drive since it wouldn't take up extra space, but didn't know how reliable it would be, how much storage I could put on one (128gigs?), or how fast the read/write would be (affecting load times).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Usb flash drives would take up the least amount of room, and they should work, but despite this Nintendo reccomends against it. The better question is what exactly do you plan to do with your Wii U, are you going to be digital only? Or are you going be mostly retail? or half and half? If mostly retail, then you shouldnt need a hard drive larger than 300 gigs I would think. If half and half then 500 or 600 should do you well unless your digital purchases are the digial versons of retail games which can go anywhere from 10 gigs to currently 25 (though I dont think any game is that large within the launch titles). If you go all digital then I would reccommend a 1 tb or 2 tb drive. It never hurts to have more than what you need. Better than not having enough.

Im sorry but I dont really know of what brands to reccomend since when my 32 gigs run out I'll be buying my first HDD too.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
My western digital mybook 500gb looks like it was made to go with the wiiu. Glossy black, close style, blue led. It was like 90 bucks 4 years ago when I bought it. It's kinda large but I like it.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

My western digital mybook 500gb looks like it was made to go with the wiiu. Glossy black, close style, blue led. It was like 90 bucks 4 years ago when I bought it. It's kinda large but I like it.AutoPilotOn

I use 500 gigs like its nothing. Not all for gaming, but I do use it.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
I was planning on getting 500 gigs, that seems like enough memory for going half digital half retail. then again once the VC comes wit hthe GC games idk... lol :/
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I was planning on getting 500 gigs, that seems like enough memory for going half digital half retail. then again once the VC comes wit hthe GC games idk... lol :/Bangerman15

VC games shouldnt be any larger than a couple of gigs, I imagine that most, with the exception of a few Wii and gamecube games, should all be pretty small compaired to retail downloadables.