Exactly what is the point of the camera facing you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I mean besides for online. Can it be used for facial recognition so that only you could access your save file? Or how about for controls, like maybe a wario ware game would make you blink and wink in a certain pattern. Or maybe it could tell when you're smiling and when you're frowning, and change what is happening in the game accordingly(Probably optional). Feel free to share your ideas!
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

I think it's so you can take pictures of yourself without having to guess where you're pointing the lens

Sorta like closing your phone and using the screen on the outside.

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts

idk maybe it will work like the gb camera

gonzales1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gonzales1
Member since 2003 • 2591 Posts
Yeah what Nintendo is doing is really just taking something that they have released years ago and improving/implementing the functions on a new handheld console.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
It reminds me of all the smartphones that have front-facing cameras for video conference calls (particularly over in Europe), but I never heard anything about the DSi being able to do that. Still, the ideas the TC posted look like they could work out for a new Wario Ware or something. Also, I suddenly remembered about the cameras on Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (or did I mix up two of the words?) that take pictures of your face and insert it into the game on the rankings. It wouldn't surprise me if they integrated that into a future DS game...F-Zero DS, perhaps? (They already made Mario Kart DS, and I don't think they'd make another one. OTOH, I have yet to hear anything about a DS version of F-Zero. Still, I'd like to race around and see my face at the top of the rankings with a Captain Falcon helmet superimposed on it.)
rockwii13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 rockwii13
Member since 2007 • 611 Posts
Maybe they will have some Eye-Toy like games.
tim_aka_link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 tim_aka_link
Member since 2006 • 507 Posts

I think it's so you can take pictures of yourself without having to guess where you're pointing the lens

guitarist4292

yeah that's what I'm thinking, but your ideas are good too.

dandymarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 dandymarsh
Member since 2003 • 958 Posts
There's also some sort of a Japanese Camera DS game already out, I believe, and this was before the DSi was announced. The game comes with a camera peripheral. So I guess games like that can be (I mean, definitely will be) implemented on the DSi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_accessories#DS_Camera
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts
There is lots of potential with both of these cameras. For instance, The exterior camera could be used for FPS games to calculate movement based on where you point it. Or more interestingly (though slightly less realistically), to take real locations displayed on your screen have graphics rendered over them in real time to make the local park appear as part of the game world, or something like that. While I think it likely will never see that sort of advanced innovation, I could easily see specific games having editing functions so you could take pictures of your friends and edit them to have distinct characteristics or garmets of video game characters ( like how you could put Mario's nose on your face in GB camera. And of course, we've already seen the possibilities of putting your own face in the game with the inside camera, where all that would be necessary is for the user to align his face within a an oval target and take the picture. The cameras will more or less allow gamers to incorporate more of their "real" world into their games and vise versa.
Avatar image for duble_Needler23
duble_Needler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 duble_Needler23
Member since 2004 • 5200 Posts
Anyone that has a Mac knows ;)
Avatar image for duble_Needler23
duble_Needler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 duble_Needler23
Member since 2004 • 5200 Posts

Yeah what Nintendo is doing is really just taking something that they have released years ago and improving/implementing the functions on a new handheld console.gonzales1

Dramatically improving it....photo editing is different than putting a mustache on things. lol :P

aznstyle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 aznstyle11
Member since 2008 • 1125 Posts
What does 0.3 MP look like?
dandymarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 dandymarsh
Member since 2003 • 958 Posts
so it is true. I thought I read 3 MP. I believe 0.3 mp is something like this. without the red lines. that's photoshopped.
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"]

tim_aka_link

yeah that's what I'm thinking, but your ideas are good too.

Seems to make since considering what they said about wanting the DSi camera to be your "everyday camera"

Doesnt sound like their really looking into gameplay implication

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

I mean besides for online. Can it be used for facial recognition so that only you could access your save file? Or how about for controls, like maybe a wario ware game would make you blink and wink in a certain pattern. Or maybe it could tell when you're smiling and when you're frowning, and change what is happening in the game accordingly(Probably optional). Feel free to share your ideas!Head_of_games
I mean besides for online. Can it be used for facial recognition so that only you could access your save file? Or how about for controls, like maybe a wario ware game would make you blink and wink in a certain pattern. Or maybe it could tell when you're smiling and when you're frowning, and change what is happening in the game accordingly(Probably optional). Feel free to share your ideas!Head_of_games

or to appease egotist

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guitarist4292

so it is true. I thought I read 3 MP. I believe 0.3 mp is something like this. without the red lines. that's photoshopped.  dandymarsh

I thought it was 3 MP not .3
If it's .3 then dang, that sucks
But if its 3, my first digital camera was 3.3 and it was great

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
The camera on the outside is 3 megapixels, the inside camera is .3 MP for pictochat. We won't ever need to have to use Skype cause you can talk to people for free.
five-zal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 five-zal
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

3mp outside

0.3mp inside

Master_Saibot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Master_Saibot
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

The camera on the outside is 3 megapixels, the inside camera is .3 MP for pictochat. We won't ever need to have to use Skype cause you can talk to people for free.DSgamer64

Huh? Skype is free.

Nehine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Nehine
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

no offence but the idea of smiling and frowning, then the game adjusting accordingly is just stupid... its going to be just like the camera phone's and thats it. i don't even think they'll make motion control games. blinking and wink would be stupid because if you blink/wink normally it would screw up the game. and it won't use eye toy stuff because if you need to move your arms around you'll have to be too far away to see whats going on in the screen. the point of the camera is to take pictures and put them on as a "gamer picture" it would probably be like the xbox 360 with a gamer profile, that way people online may be able to look at your games you've played. they won't be able to have streaming video online i doubt it would be powerful enough and through wifi it wouldn't work good either. it's going to be a basic camera for photo's... isn't that "exactly what the point of a camera" is?

Avatar image for Mii_Wii_and_RPG
Mii_Wii_and_RPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mii_Wii_and_RPG
Member since 2007 • 722 Posts

Anyone that has a Mac knows ;)duble_Needler23

Agreed :) Maybe something like Photo Booth or something similar where you can swirl, pull, distort your face using the stylus.

I also think it will be used for things such as a user icon (that will show up beside your messages in pictochat), maybe some games will use it for leader boards/rankings (as a poster further up already said) and other games might use it as a texture mapped to the main characters face (like what you could do in the original Sims game maybe?)

MetaKnight50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 MetaKnight50
Member since 2008 • 3533 Posts

I think its just just another reason for consumers to buy it.

Either that or for online rankings, ect.

zipzipzippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zipzipzippo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
pretty dumb question imo. its for taking self portraits -_-". pretty much any game that uses the camera is going to suck cause teh camera function in a game would be too unpredictable to program
japanesegoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 japanesegoth
Member since 2004 • 2164 Posts

There is lots of potential with both of these cameras. For instance, The exterior camera could be used for FPS games to calculate movement based on where you point it. Or more interestingly (though slightly less realistically), to take real locations displayed on your screen have graphics rendered over them in real time to make the local park appear as part of the game world, or something like that. While I think it likely will never see that sort of advanced innovation, I could easily see specific games having editing functions so you could take pictures of your friends and edit them to have distinct characteristics or garmets of video game characters ( like how you could put Mario's nose on your face in GB camera. And of course, we've already seen the possibilities of putting your own face in the game with the inside camera, where all that would be necessary is for the user to align his face within a an oval target and take the picture. The cameras will more or less allow gamers to incorporate more of their "real" world into their games and vise versa.BobbyBobby85

that is completely absurd. every bit of it.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BobbyBobby85

[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]There is lots of potential with both of these cameras. For instance, The exterior camera could be used for FPS games to calculate movement based on where you point it. Or more interestingly (though slightly less realistically), to take real locations displayed on your screen have graphics rendered over them in real time to make the local park appear as part of the game world, or something like that. While I think it likely will never see that sort of advanced innovation, I could easily see specific games having editing functions so you could take pictures of your friends and edit them to have distinct characteristics or garmets of video game characters ( like how you could put Mario's nose on your face in GB camera. And of course, we've already seen the possibilities of putting your own face in the game with the inside camera, where all that would be necessary is for the user to align his face within a an oval target and take the picture. The cameras will more or less allow gamers to incorporate more of their "real" world into their games and vise versa.japanesegoth

that is completely absurd. every bit of it.

The technology exists to do everything I just theorized:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UQQtZh2iA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XqoMeprqRM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Mcne5xHK4

You were saying? :|

M4192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 M4192
Member since 2007 • 688 Posts
Instead of having a 0.3MP camera inside and a 3MP camera on the outside, wouldn't it be better to have the better quality camera, a rotating camera that you can switch from outside to inside, like some phones?
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BobbyBobby85

Instead of having a 0.3MP camera inside and a 3MP camera on the outside, wouldn't it be better to have the better quality camera, a rotating camera that you can switch from outside to inside, like some phones?M4192

That wouldn't make sense on the DS, since the screens are on the inside, unlike some cell phones that have a screen inside and screen outside. Sure, they could've put a single camera on the outside and enabled users to take pictures of themselves while the lid is closed with the R button, but again, it raises the issue of not being able to see the the screen. Adding a "rotating" camera would add an appendage to the DS design that would stick out and take away from its rectangular form factor. In the end, Adding two cameras seems like the only logical step to make things easier for the user.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
This has to be a joke topic.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

[QUOTE="M4192"]Instead of having a 0.3MP camera inside and a 3MP camera on the outside, wouldn't it be better to have the better quality camera, a rotating camera that you can switch from outside to inside, like some phones?BobbyBobby85

That wouldn't make sense on the DS, since the screens are on the inside, unlike some cell phones that have a screen inside and screen outside. Sure, they could've put a single camera on the outside and enabled users to take pictures of themselves while the lid is closed with the R button, but again, it raises the issue of not being able to see the the screen. Adding a "rotating" camera would add an appendage to the DS design that would stick out and take away from its rectangular form factor. In the end, Adding two cameras seems like the only logical step to make things easier for the user.

I think he means something like on one of the Nokia tablets (N800 or N810, I don't quite remember exactly which one, but I think it's the N800), where the camera pops out of the handheld on a little nub that can be rotated to face toward or away from the user. Sony's clamshell CLIE variants also had a rotating camera, this time in the hinge. Perhaps that design could've worked out for the DS.