Etrian Odyssey 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lweinste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lweinste
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Etrian Odyssey 3 is out today in North America. Is anyone playing it? My copy should be arriving from Amazon at any moment (of course, I am at work, so I will have to wait to get home anyway).

For people who aren't familiar with this series, it is basically a throwback to old PC RPGs like Wizardry and The Bard's Tale. In the old days, when you played those games, you would have to map the dungeons on graph paper or become hopelessly lost. In Etrian Odyssey, you do the mapping on the DS's lower screen.

There are a surprising number of games of this style on DS (minus the stylus mapping) -- Orcs & Elves, The Dark Spire, and SMT Strange Journey, for example. I wrote an article about this genre, which I am calling grid-based dungeon crawler RPGs. Read it if you are an RPG nerd like me and interested in this sort of thing!

If you're playing the game, how do you like it so far?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#2 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
If it is in today then I should be getting it
MuppetusG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MuppetusG
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
This is the first I have heard of the series and I am immediately interested. It looks like only the first Etrian Odyssey made it's way to the UK sadly, but I will hopefully pick it up before long. Thank-you for the heads-up! Great article by the way! Good website all round :)
lweinste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lweinste

This is the first I have heard of the series and I am immediately interested. It looks like only the first Etrian Odyssey made it's way to the UK sadly, but I will hopefully pick it up before long. Thank-you for the heads-up! Great article by the way! Good website all round :)MuppetusG

Thank you for the compliment, MuppetusG. I'm glad you liked the article!

eggbenedict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eggbenedict
Member since 2010 • 121 Posts

it looks great and the other 2 got great reviews but i just can't get into first person view rpg games, only old might and magic 3,6 i liked, but wizardary games and others i jsut never got into

Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

I recently became atlus B*** so I pre order next all of their games, even if they only localized a game
tho since it is a import I wont get it until 3 days - several weeks

Vivienne7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vivienne7
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Time for more FOE! FOE! FOE! FOE! FOE!
lweinste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lweinste

Is it possible that there is no key to explain the map icons in this game?!!

I created my ownEtrian Odyssey 3 Map Icon Keyto try to find and share this information. Please stop by and let me know if I have the symbols right. Thanks!

jormi_boced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jormi_boced
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I picked mine up yesterday and am loving it!

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I really like this series but it'd be better if it was completely 2D. Get a little more use of your imagination, like back in the day :)
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I'm buying the game later this year.

I don't really feel like playing a grind-hog right now. love the franchise but I hate that it takes forever to do anything in these games thanks to the slooooow grinding you have to do.

lweinste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lweinste

Part 2 of my unofficial guide to the map icons is up! This one covers the Etrian Odyssey 3 Ocean Icons. Some of these symbols are just crazy -- what do they mean?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8787 Posts

I too had it pre-ordered on Amazon. However, I chose free shipping. So it should be here at around the 30th or so. I'm busy beating the 2nd one anyway. :P

Alex_Thomson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alex_Thomson
Member since 2010 • 313 Posts

I just got Etrian Odyssey III in the mail a day or two ago, I haven't had a chance to play it yet since I've been pretty busy with school/work but I'm really looking forward to it, it looks like a really cool game and I've always been a pretty big RPG-game fan. The Etrian Odyssey series always seemed interesting to me but I missed out on the chance to play the first two games, so this time around when I heard Etrian Odyssey III was coming out and I saw some videos of the gameplay I was convinced I needed to get it to see what I'd been missing out on, the pre-order artbook didn't hurt either. :P Thanks for creating a thread about it, I feel like this is a really underrated series on the DS that doesn't get the attention it deserves since it doesn't have the name recognition/popularity of some of the other DS games/series.

lweinste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lweinste

I'm glad to see people are playing this. I really like this style of game and wish more of them would be released.

What I would really love would be remakes of some of the early CRPGs like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder. These would work great on DS (or even iPhone), in my opinion!