Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thesplitz
Member since 2015 • 51 Posts

Hey guys,

Decided to power the switch on while waiting for far cry 5 to release, and out of boredom. It's been a little while since I played the switch and I'm quite frankly surprised at how underwhelming the eshop channel still is. There's still no virtual console, no music or different look, just bland and lacking. It didn't bother me before when the console was new, but it's been out a year now and still no major system update for eshop, or overall menus (I want some themed backgrounds and sound!!). Does anyone know if virtual console will ever come to switch? If any major console update will happen? Hell just compare Wii U's and 3DS's eshop and overall menus with switch. I was under the impression the Nintendo Switch would be the "end-all" Nintendo console, with full virtual console, its entire IP and library available including gamecube (one could only dream), but yet a full year of being out and still no major system updates. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Thoughts or comments?

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I too am waiting for the Switch interface overhaul. Every menu on the Switch is boring to go through. I made a thread before about how I think it is not nearly as lively as the menus in previous consoles like the Gamecube, DSi, Wii, Wii U and 3DS. All of them have some type of background music and animations going on. The Switch main menu and eshop still look like they're in beta testing mode by being so simplified and bland.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Desperately.

The Switch e-shop and the other menus in general for Switch are the worst they've ever made. Nintendo usually have really nice and fun menus, and now they decided to remove everything cool, have a super boring main menu, and an ultra-boring eshop where it's also hard to find games. I have no idea what happened or why. It's like they decided that their early build for Switch UI was "fine" and didn't bother with it anymore, or they went "we'll maybe fix it later", or something.

My personal favourite console menu is the GameCube. That was fucking awesome.

thesplitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thesplitz

@-paranorman-: I'm glad it's not just me on this, I didn't want to come off like I was nitpicking. Like I said, it was fine at release; but there should be no reason there isn't at least a major system update within a year. I'm hoping Nintendo will address this at some point, but it seems they're having a hard time letting go of the 3DS, like why is luigi's mansion on 3DS (other than they used the same engine as Dark moon). Those are the kinda games we need on the switch. I really thought the Switch would be the end-all console. I mean I appreciate NES/SNES classics that they have released but I didn't want those to replace VC entirely on the Switch.

Edit: Original Luigi's Mansion "will be" on 3DS, it isn't yet.

thesplitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thesplitz

@Litchie: Agreed. Maybe it was just my age at the time but Gamecube was one of my favorite Nintendo consoles, with an awesome menu.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i like the simple menu. some people like the quiet. it makes it a more zen or relaxing type vibe. ever since zelda with the commercial of the guy playing it in his room. its very quiet and relaxing.

however if they bring out themes that would be good. i would buy one. but i dont care about having eshop and menu music really.

as for the eshop? its fine and functional imo. its got a sales section. ..a whats new.... coming soon....top downloads....search function... what more do you want lol. i think its much more direct and less confusing than the wiiU one.

the virtual console? nintendo said its coming in september with the paid service. greatness awaits

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

I'd rather have the menu be incredibly fast and efficient like it is now instead of slow, sluggishly "fun" like the Wii U for example.
Also, the GameCube menu didn't even show up unless you held a specific button, and there was barely anything to do...

thesplitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thesplitz

@Sgt_Crow: I think thats the point of the gamecube menu though, as a kid I wasn't even aware of the menu for the first while I owned it, so discovering it was cool in and of itself. And at the time owning a console that went straight into the game with the option of holding a button to bring up the menu was nice (or button mashing, I can't exactly remember), rather than PS2 for example where every time you booted it up you had to watch the "falling into the blue abyss cinematic" then clicking "browser" and starting the game up from there. But I get what you're saying with the Wii U menu; it was far from revolutionary, where you were always beleaguered by a hundred little miis. But take 3DS, I wish the switch followed a template similar to that, with themes and backgrounds (Majora's mask theme is my favorite). Nintendo will always be "weird" and gimmicky, and thats what makes it Nintendo, thats its strength. A serious and subdued menu/eshop like on Switch just isn't doing it for me a year later.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

For my part the only thing I would like to see for the eshop is a browse kind of thing. Right now if you are looking for something you really have to know what you want... sometimes I just browse the PSstore and sometimes something grabs my attention can't do that right now with the Switch unless I'm stupid and didn't see it.