DSi sells over 170K in two days

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

From Gamespot news-

Though Americans and Europeans won't see it until well into next year, the DSi went on sale in Japan over the weekend. Today, Enterbrain reported that the latest version of the handheld--which is now the top gaming portable in Nintendo's history--sold 170,779 units in its 48 hours in stores. According to the publisher of the popular Japanese magazine Famitsu, initial shipments of the ¥18,900 ($179) handheld almost completely sold out within minutes.

The DSi is big in Japan.

Reports of brisk DSi sales must be music to the ears of Nintendo, which unveiled the souped-up handheld last month. Unlike ithe DS Lite, the new model sports a Web browser, music playback, an SD card multimedia storage, a 3-megapixel camera, a smaller inward-facing camera, photo editing software, and larger and brighter dual screens. The new functionality comes at the expense of the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, which is absent altogether.

Nintendo's introduction of the DSi comes as the DS platform is losing ground to its rival, the PSP. Sony's handheld, which boasted Web-browsing and multimedia functions from the outset, has seen its sales explode in Japan thanks to the craze surrounding the multiplatinum title Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. A localized version of the Capcom game will be released in the US under the moniker Monster Hunter Freedom Unite next spring.

For more on the DSi, check out GameSpot's coverage of Nintendo of America's fall media briefing. Also, recent reports peg a new WarioWare game as being in development for the handheld.

Source-http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200582.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

---

Even if this phenomenom occurs in the states, it's still a "no" from me.

CraigNinten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CraigNinten
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
cant wait for DSi coming to my country!! :D
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

losing ground to the psp? is it that much of a threat to the DS that nintendo have to design a multi-function handheld? or is this just about cashing in on the psp's market?

but sony are doing the exact same thing by making a motion controller for the ps3. so, whatever. maybe it's just all about market share.

Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts

losing ground to the psp? is it that much of a threat to the DS that nintendo have to design a multi-function handheld? or is this just about cashing in on the psp's market?

but sony are doing the exact same thing by making a motion controller for the ps3. so, whatever. maybe it's just all about market share.

just_nonplussed

It doesn't have to be that Nintendo are trying to cash in on the psp's market; Functionality is just a good idea, whether the psp had it first or not...

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I thought the camera was .3 megapixles, but they said it was 3 megapixles. How many megapixles does it actually have?
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
the 2 things that i only liked about the dsi is the sdhc support and the bigger screens,im definitely getting this
xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts
its been reported numerous times the external camera is 3mp. the inward cam is supposedly .3mp
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
I thought the camera was .3 megapixles, but they said it was 3 megapixles. How many megapixles does it actually have?monkeytoes61
The one on the outside of the shell is 3, the one on the inside is .3.
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

I thought the camera was .3 megapixles, but they said it was 3 megapixles. How many megapixles does it actually have?monkeytoes61

I'm sorry, but your sig is so wrong and ignorant I'm kinda speechless

Anyway, I can't believe Japan fell for it. Doesn't everyone already own a DS over there? I thought thats why psp sales were on the rise.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Anyway, I can't believe Japan fell for it. Doesn't everyone already own a DS over there? I thought thats why psp sales were on the rise.

TalesofRaGnArOk
Monster Hunter is possibly the biggest franchise in Japan and the PSP has it. The game sold over 2 million units there if I'm not mistaken.
aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
[QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

nintendofreak_2

Monster Hunter is possibly the biggest franchise in Japan and the PSP has it. The game sold over 2 million units there if I'm not mistaken.

Not really, I kind if believe that Dragon Quest is still the most popular game in Japan.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
That many people didn't know they're getting ripped off? Wow.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Well, the only thing that stood out in that article was the price- 180$. If they bring it down to 150$ or so, I believe Nintendo of American could recieve the same sales results.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

aquajet16

Not really, I kind if believe that Dragon Quest is still the most popular game in Japan.

It was in the past but not now, the remake of both DQ 4 and 5 each sold for just over a million while Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G sold over 2 million.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="aquajet16"][QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

danny5329

It was in the past but not now, the remake of both DQ 4 and 5 each sold for just over a million while Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G sold over 2 million.

Yeah, but to be fair, they're "re-makes." DQVIII sold 3 million in its first week! DQVII was the best-selling PS1 game of all-time in Japan.

So when DQIX comes out, it will make Monster Hunter more like "Cockroach Hunter."

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FILIPINOMAZTER
[QUOTE="danny5329"][QUOTE="aquajet16"][QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

ASK_Story

Yeah, but to be fair, they're "re-makes." DQVIII sold 3 million in its first week! DQVII was the best-selling PS1 game of all-time in Japan.

So when DQIX comes out, it will make Monster Hunter more like "Cockroach Hunter."

yes

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FILIPINOMAZTER

hmm what is your sig trying to say?

sorry i dont get it

smfes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smfes
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
Must have DSi nooow ! plz come to denmark!