This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpartanJakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SpartanJakey
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I got my DS really wet and now it wont turn on and it only shows the orange light... AND ITS ONLY 1 DAY OLD!! Please tell me how I can fix this and how to remove the battery
saul714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 saul714
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts
put it in the oven but DONT!! turn the oven on. Ovens normally stay kina of warm and it should dry up ur DS pretty good and it should work unless the screen is messed up :-/ let me know how it goes ;)
Mia26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mia26
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
use a hair dryer and screw driver for battery, although i think it is supposed to stay put
JGram33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JGram33
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts
put it back in the box very carefully, return it to the store, get your money, walk out like nothing happened, then go buy a ds somewhere else.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Remove the battery with a screw driver and leave it to dry for a day or two. If the device hasn't shorted (though it might have, if you tried turning it on while it was wet) then it'll be fine.

brawl_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 brawl_96
Member since 2008 • 3953 Posts
i dont now about the ds but the games always work. like at camp my friends threw my friends games in the toliat and he used them and they worked
Metal-Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Metal-Guard
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
well you should be able to return it, after all it's only been one day!
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
nintendo gives you a 1 year warranty so they should fixit
silent_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silent_h3ro
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

The thing with electronics is that as long as they get wet while they are off, they are still able to be fixed. If it was off I recommend letting it dry for a few days. Do NOT use a hairdryer on it to dry it. Be patient. Although you did say that all you see is an orange light so I'm assuming that you did turn it on.

Also, there is a water damage indicator on the inside of the DS, under the battery I believe. If the circular sticker is still white than you are safe with returning it.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
Waiting to the water to dry up is the best solution as pointed out, it works with most eletronic devices.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Kind of surprised at all the people suggesting a switcheroo at the store...that's really dishonest at best, and at worst it's fraud. If you're comfortable with that, then I guess it's fine, but it doesn't take a whole lot of decency to realize that neither the store not Nintendo is responsible for the fact that you got your DS wet (which admittedly does suck).
Anyway, the first rule of wet electronics is DON'T turn it on. Take it apart as best you can, and then leave it sit in the sun for a few days, perhaps a week. Putting it in the oven may work...if you decide to turn it on to quicken the process, just leave it at the lowest heat setting. But that's risky. If you have a food dehydrator, you could put it in there. A blowdryer on LOW HEAT works as well. Hight heat, or extended time with the blowdryer will kill your DS.
The thing to realize is this: water itself doesn't usually physically damage electronics. The reason wet electronics is bad is because water conducts electricity, so it can short out the circuitry when current is routed by the water to places it shouldn't go. Hopefully the fact that you turned it on didn't screw you from the beginning...but it may have. You can try returning it on warranty, but it's hard to say if they'll take it back. Good luck.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts
Well it shows you cannot take care of anything.
DK_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 DK_47
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts
Open Your DS battery cover and battery and all game paks/cards. Then put it in front of a warm area, like IN FRONT of a toaster oven while its on and move rotate it 90 degrees every 15 minutes for about 6 hours. Then use a hair dryer on low to air out all cracks and slots and the battery slot. This should work.
viewtifullee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 viewtifullee
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
warrenty i guess
DsAccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DsAccount
Member since 2008 • 543 Posts

Open Your DS battery cover and battery and all game paks/cards. Then put it in front of a warm area, like IN FRONT of a toaster oven while its on and move rotate it 90 degrees every 15 minutes for about 6 hours. Then use a hair dryer on low to air out all cracks and slots and the battery slot. This should work.DK_47

Sounds so dangerours

aries8269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aries8269
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts

[QUOTE="DK_47"]Open Your DS battery cover and battery and all game paks/cards. Then put it in front of a warm area, like IN FRONT of a toaster oven while its on and move rotate it 90 degrees every 15 minutes for about 6 hours. Then use a hair dryer on low to air out all cracks and slots and the battery slot. This should work.DsAccount

Sounds so dangerours

Theoretically, what this would do is expand the components providing for a little bit of airflow (as well as evaporating the water on the inside). The toaster oven would have to be set at a low setting (operating temp is like 35F to 135F or close to that). Anything outside of that, it will work but damage may occur). A little on the dangerous side, yes...and may not even work. It was stated that the DS got wet and you attempted to turn it on. Turning it on may have fried some components causing irreparable damage.

CharlieStinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CharlieStinks
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts

Also, there is a water damage indicator on the inside of the DS, under the battery I believe. If the circular sticker is still white than you are safe with returning it.

silent_h3ro

I don't know why, but thats good to know. Interesting.

wogboypaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 wogboypaul
Member since 2008 • 1139 Posts

i really wouldnt trust it in front of the on toaster hahaha

but drying it should work it worked before.. good luck, tell us how u went

aries8269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aries8269
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts

No nono...theres a difference between toaster and toaster oven. Granted...though theoretically sound, I wouldnt consider performing that action.

Koto2291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Koto2291
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
i couldn't tell u how to fix it, but i hope u can. a day old? that really has to suck. you should be more careful, like don't drink around your DS. but accidents happen, so it's not ur fault. the return thing is a really good idea, and so is the hairdryer. the oven and toaster don't sound all that bright though.
tmaytmay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tmaytmay
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I realize it's been quite a while, but I thought I'd post for someone who might have a problem later. Try putting it in rice for 24 hours, the rice will pull the wetness out, it will work better if it hasn't been turned on.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I realize it's been quite a while, but I thought I'd post for someone who might have a problem later. Try putting it in rice for 24 hours, the rice will pull the wetness out, it will work better if it hasn't been turned on.tmaytmay
It's better to just make a new thread about the issue if you need to, rather than bumping a thread that's more than 3 years old.