DS problems Which DS should I buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for dragonmsster765
dragonmsster765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dragonmsster765
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'm looking to buy a new DS. On my old one, the hinges are broken, the L and R buttons work on and off, and the right speaker never works. What do you think? Should I stick with a DS lite? Or spend a little extra to buy a DSi? The original DS is too bulky, and the DSi XL is too big to comfortably fit in my pocket. What are the pros and cons of both? I need help deciding.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
This is just my judgment, but it depends on your budget. I had a ds lite, then a dsi, and the dsi was somewhat better for me, but it didn't have a gba slot. But, it's screen were a little bigger, the buttons were clickier, i like the dpad's clickiness, etc. But it's worth somewhat more. However, have you taken time to think about not getting the XL? If i were you, I would get it. I've heard the bigger screens are very nice. And, it's only about $20 more than the dsi.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

I just bought a new DSi today and I think it's great. I highly recommend it! If you can, find the DSi that comes with Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. It's the same price as a DSi with no pack-in.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

I'm looking to buy a new DS. On my old one, the hinges are broken, the L and R buttons work on and off, and the right speaker never works. What do you think? Should I stick with a DS lite? Or spend a little extra to buy a DSi? The original DS is too bulky, and the DSi XL is too big to comfortably fit in my pocket. What are the pros and cons of both? I need help deciding.

dragonmsster765

Well you could go check the other threads that are only 2 to 3 pages back...there's about 10 of them within 5 pages or so.

hamhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hamhero
Member since 2008 • 201 Posts
i know some may say its retarded but i still buy and play gba games. i do not own a gba but i do own a ds lite. i also have a dsi with has a camera i never use and dsi shop i dont recommend using since the games are stuck on that system.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Given the fact that the 3DS is coming out in less than a year personally I would be to just go with the cheaper DS Lite. Maybe even try to find one in good condition used.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'd reccoment the DS Lite.

I still find the GBA slot very useful

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86

BuryMe
personally i don't like playing gba games on the lite. So when i got a dsi, and my ds lite broke, i just got a game boy advance sp. but i guess each person has his/her own preferences.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

hydralisk86
personally i don't like playing gba games on the lite. So when i got a dsi, and my ds lite broke, i just got a game boy advance sp. but i guess each person has his/her own preferences.

The slot isn't just for GBA games.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]

ThePlothole

What else is it for?
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

hydralisk86
What else is it for?

The rumble pack included with Metroid Prime Hunters (which is also supported in some other games), guitar grip for Guitar Hero: On Tour, and a few other game accessories (most of them only sold in Japan).

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

ThePlothole
What else is it for?

The rumble pack included with Metroid Prime Hunters (which is also supported in some other games), guitar grip for Guitar Hero: On Tour, and a few other game accessories (most of them only sold in Japan).

I knew it was used for rumble pack, but what is your point?
hamhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hamhero
Member since 2008 • 201 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

What else is it for?

and how else would you transfer those pokemon from emerald to pearl? yes i know i used the P word.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ThePlothole
I knew it was used for rumble pack, but what is your point?hydralisk86

Uh, that "the slot isn't just for GBA games." :roll:

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]I knew it was used for rumble pack, but what is your point?ThePlothole

I never said it wasn't. TC didn't specify that he wanted the gba slot for guitar hero or transfering pokemon. I offered my opinion and info, saying that if you wanted to play the gba games, it might be better to use the game boy advances out there.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"]I knew it was used for rumble pack, but what is your point?hydralisk86

I never said it wasn't. TC didn't specify that he wanted the gba slot for guitar hero or transfering pokemon. I offered my opinion and info, saying that if you wanted to play the gba games, it might be better to use the game boy advances out there.

But you were replying to BuryMe's comment that he still finds "the GBA slot very useful". And he never specified whether this was just for the sake of playing GBA games.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

But you were replying to BuryMe's comment that he still finds "the GBA slot very useful". And he never specified whether this was just for the sake of playing GBA games.

You're right, i apologize. I didn't understand that he said that to include the gba slot's other uses.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

dragonmsster765

Wait till E3 and see how much money the 3DS will cost. The DSi and the XL seem rather pointless to buy at this point in time, given their price tags. It's likely the prices of the current lineup of DSs will drop when the 3DS is announced. I'm thinking $99 for the DSlite, $129 for the DSi, and $149 for the XL.

vgamefreak225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vgamefreak225
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

ThePlothole

What else is it for?

Also a game called Tony Hawks Motion. It needs a motion pack that fits in the Gameboy slot.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

dragonmsster765

Get it fixed or replaced for $75. Save like $50 and get it fixed. If you get it replaced, its a brand new system. If you get it repaired, its ytour old one coming back new.

HungryLuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 HungryLuma
Member since 2009 • 1131 Posts

If you like playing GBA games, or you use it to transfer pokemon to DPP or HGSS, then I suggest staying with a DS Lite. If you could careless about the GBA, then I suggest getting a DSi.

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonmsster765"]

Heirren

Wait till E3 and see how much money the 3DS will cost. The DSi and the XL seem rather pointless to buy at this point in time, given their price tags. It's likely the prices of the current lineup of DSs will drop when the 3DS is announced. I'm thinking $99 for the DSlite, $129 for the DSi, and $149 for the XL.

I don't agree. Just yesterday I bought the DSi + Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story package for $179 CDN, which is a fantastic deal. I definitely recommend purchasing the same if you can find it. Sure, maybe the 3DS will come out this Fall, but if you want a DS now, you may as well get one now. Why hold back on something that you want?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="dragonmsster765"]

thebisonx

I don't agree. Just yesterday I bought the DSi + Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story package for $179 CDN, which is a fantastic deal. I definitely recommend purchasing the same if you can find it. Sure, maybe the 3DS will come out this Fall, but if you want a DS now, you may as well get one now. Why hold back on something that you want?

Because in 2 weeks E3 happens. What if they do announce a price drop? I was in the same situation a few months ago. I went with a dslite. I figured "why buy a dsi/xl if I'm probably going to buy a 3ds as well." Also, two weeks is not that long.

lewispetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lewispetty
Member since 2009 • 417 Posts

dragonmsster765

stick with the ds lite