DS Lite or DSi? Which?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blazingneo32089
blazingneo32089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blazingneo32089
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts
Discuss.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

There is already a stickied thread about this, you can read about it there.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26677437&tag=topics;title

Sorry, don't know how to link it.

Golgotha237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Golgotha237
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

I just bought a couple of days ago a DS LITE. I already had a Prehistoric DS xD but I was thinking in one of those 2 consoles. And finally I decided for the Ds Lite. The only thing I was looking forward for the nintendo DSi was the internet browser (which sucks in a regular ds) but it seems that internet browser in DSi sucks too so... I wont spend more money in something I wont use.. For example: camara? Even a watch nowadays has a camara. We all have one in our cellphones. Why do we want more? And I dont really think they're tking that much camara using games...

Avatar image for blazingneo32089
blazingneo32089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blazingneo32089
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts

I just bought a couple of days ago a DS LITE. I already had a Prehistoric DS xD but I was thinking in one of those 2 consoles. And finally I decided for the Ds Lite. The only thing I was looking forward for the nintendo DSi was the internet browser (which sucks in a regular ds) but it seems that internet browser in DSi sucks too so... I wont spend more money in something I wont use.. For example: camara? Even a watch nowadays has a camara. We all have one in our cellphones. Why do we want more? And I dont really think they're tking that much camara using games...

Golgotha237
I'm thinking of getting a DS Lite. The DSi has so many useless features. I have an ipod touch for mobile internet and music playing. The camera is really useless for me. Also, I miss some GBA games I want to play.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="Golgotha237"]

blazingneo32089
I'm thinking of getting a DS Lite. The DSi has so many useless features. I have an ipod touch for mobile internet and music playing. The camera is really useless for me. Also, I miss some GBA games I want to play.

The DSi has the ability to download DSiware. Also, I'm not sure if this is still true, but there will be dsi exclusive games in the future, meaning that there could be games being sold in stores that have features that only the DSi use, or games that will only work for the DSi.
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

[QUOTE="blazingneo32089"][QUOTE="Golgotha237"]

hydralisk86

The DSi has the ability to download DSiware. Also, I'm not sure if this is still true, but there will be dsi exclusive games in the future, meaning that there could be games being sold in stores that have features that only the DSi use, or games that will only work for the DSi.

Yes they are still planning on releasing some exclusives in the near future.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
The DSi is the superior system so go with that one.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86

The DSi is the superior system so go with that one.Rocky32189
I like the dsi better, but if he can't pay the extra money for it, then the ds lite might be the better purchase. Same for the ds phat.

GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
Dslite
Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#10 Robbie8912
Member since 2006 • 2299 Posts

Picture this: You go out and buy a DS Lite. You are happy as can be with your new handheld. You play with it for months, thinking it to be the coolest toy ever. Then suddenly, the DSi starts getting more features, and more exclusives. You start to think "That's okay, that's not much" But suddenly, some of the best DS games are being released as DSi exclusives, and your favourite classic game is now on DSiWare! You start to wonder if you should have bought a DSi when you had the chance. But now you have to buy a whole new one. Another $170 to spend on something you could have avoided by buying it in the first place! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:lol: Sorry for being so dramatic, but the moral of the story is "Be prepared". If you get the newest system, you are prepared to get the newest games and exclusives. It's Win-Win with the Nintendo DSi! :D Nothing can be released that you wont be able to play! Yippee! What Drama you've saved yourself! :D

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

Picture this: You go out and buy a DS Lite. You are happy as can be with your new handheld. You play with it for months, thinking it to be the coolest toy ever. Then suddenly, the DSi starts getting more features, and more exclusives. You start to think "That's okay, that's not much" But suddenly, some of the best DS games are being released as DSi exclusives, and your favourite classic game is now on DSiWare! You start to wonder if you should have bought a DSi when you had the chance. But now you have to buy a whole new one. Another $170 to spend on something you could have avoided by buying it in the first place! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:lol: Sorry for being so dramatic, but the moral of the story is "Be prepared". If you get the newest system, you are prepared to get the newest games and exclusives. It's Win-Win with the Nintendo DSi! :D Nothing can be released that you wont be able to play! Yippee! What Drama you've saved yourself! :D

Robbie8912

be prepared for what more gimmiky games coming exclusivly to dsi lol, you will never see a first party nintendo title utilize the dsi to its max because nintendo never had any intention of screwing over the original ds market. be prepared for next falls new nintendo handheld and be like wtf :P.

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Robbie8912

[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

merch

be prepared for what more gimmiky games coming exclusivly to dsi lol, you will never see a first party nintendo title utilize the dsi to its max because nintendo never had any intention of screwing over the original ds market. be prepared for next falls new nintendo handheld and be like wtf :P.

Oh we'll see then wont we ;)

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

merch

Ridiculous. Haven't you heard that Nintendo's next big move in the handheld arena is to release ANOTHER DSi? The XL will be relased in North America around April, so they certainly aren't going to release an entirely new format 5 months later. If anything, the DSi XL shows me that the DSi is Nintendo's weapon of choice to fight the handheld wars, and the XL is the one they will use to fully show off the device's new RAM capabilities......and at that time, we'll see a tidal wave of DSi only titles. These will still play on the regular DSi, but they will be times so that they can "wow" people on the XL's larger screen. And at that point, Lite owners will be confronted with the fact that the DSi is going to be Nintendo's chosen format for at least a few more years....and most of them will finally decide to upgrade.
NMQuirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NMQuirk
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I would opt for the DS Lite as of now. I bought a DSi which is a nice piece of hardware but Nintendo isn't making the most of it. The big features of the DSi are the camera / browser / DSiWare. The camera is very good and comes with apps for picture manipulation. The browser is slow but works minus certain plugins like Flash Player. Finally, DSiWare as of now is crap. All Nintendo is offering is overly prices games that are not that good, most of which are for the very casual gamer. If money is an issue, go for the DS Lite. If money isn't an issue, Nintendo may be able to turn the DSi into some competition against the PSP Go.
BackInCrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 BackInCrack
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts

DS Lite. I just wanna play some freaking games!

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 merch

[QUOTE="merch"]

[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

RichardWrite

Ridiculous. Haven't you heard that Nintendo's next big move in the handheld arena is to release ANOTHER DSi? The XL will be relased in North America around April, so they certainly aren't going to release an entirely new format 5 months later. If anything, the DSi XL shows me that the DSi is Nintendo's weapon of choice to fight the handheld wars, and the XL is the one they will use to fully show off the device's new RAM capabilities......and at that time, we'll see a tidal wave of DSi only titles. These will still play on the regular DSi, but they will be times so that they can "wow" people on the XL's larger screen. And at that point, Lite owners will be confronted with the fact that the DSi is going to be Nintendo's chosen format for at least a few more years....and most of them will finally decide to upgrade.

you have said twice now in another thread to so i will just reply here. i know the next move of nintendo lol actually there next move is a step back to get a different audience. older people that is what xl is targeted toward lol and it will cost more with no extra features added other than .75 inch larger screens from the dsi now and a bigger stylus and just bigger overall. lol april expect the XL out in Febuary/march of next year with a 199$ price tag.

now about them releasing a new handheld in the fall is very possible nvida is already working on the gpu. if you havent noticed the XL is now the third revision of a handheld that has been out since 2004. they will keep dsi/xl on the market and discontinue lites, which i know in the last thread someone said they wont keep 3 on the market but the dsi/XL are on in the same one is just larger overall. then launch a new handheld out around late november probably at 250$ while keeping dsi on the market, and the new handheld will have backward compatabilty with dsi ware, dsi, and ds carts.

dont say it hasnt happend before lol, lets track back to when the gba came out in June 11, 2001 , than had a revision in March 23, 2003 which is the SP and it was selling damn good. in November 21, 2004 the ds came out supporting backward compatability with the gba and they still kept gba on the market till about the end of 2007, they even had a backlit screen revision to the sp in 2005.

if they do intend to keep dsi as the successor than i will skip it till the next one because honestly it doesnt seem like a succesor in my eyes because all they did is rip out the gba processor and added to the ds one, the gba slot is out for a sd slot the screen was 1/4 of a inch bigger, dsi ware games, very minimal retail games and support for additional wifi and threw in 12MB more of ram none of these tech features add anything to ds games still coming out as the games do not run any smoother because of more ram as the games have caps on them as they play any way. the only features it adds is the use of .3 megapixel cams. and now the XL just adds bigger overall lol thats it.... we will see though give me till e3 2010 and i will come back here and eat my words and tell you i was wrong if i am wrong.

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Robbie8912

[QUOTE="merch"]

[QUOTE="Robbie8912"]

RichardWrite

You sir, should be given a Medal.A big pretty gold medal 8)

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 merch

although i would like a xl cause my hands got bigger and my lite hurts now xD but i would like them to increase the software on it :P

like put down downloadable gb,gbc,gba games on the dsiware and i will drop 200$ on a xl :P all i see at retail in febuary is Foto Showdown DSi

Robbie8912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Robbie8912

although i would like a xl cause my hands got bigger and my lite hurts now xD but i would like them to increase the software on it :P

like put down downloadable gb,gbc,gba games on the dsiware and i will drop 200$ on a xl :P all i see at retail in febuary is Foto Showdown DSi

merch

My hands are big now as well, (and I turn 20 next week) but I can still play the GBA SP :D Maybe you wont need the bigger version. I mean, the screen will only seem big for an hour anyway. Then your eyes will adjust

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RichardWrite

Finally, DSiWare as of now is crap. All Nintendo is offering is overly prices games that are not that good, most of which are for the very casual gamer. NMQuirk

Nonsense. I challenge you to find a better racing game at $30 than you'll find with Asphalt 4, available for $8 as DSiWare. There's a Mario platformer as good as the $30 ones, also for $8. The original RAYMAN, but with new features, just came out. Some reviewers are calling CASTLE OF MAGIC, an $8 game, a better platformer than any in the Mario series.

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RichardWrite

[QUOTE="RichardWrite"][QUOTE="merch"]

merch

you have said twice now in another thread to so i will just reply here. i know the next move of nintendo lol actually there next move is a step back to get a different audience. older people that is what xl is targeted toward lol and it will cost more with no extra features added other than .75 inch larger screens from the dsi now and a bigger stylus and just bigger overall. lol april expect the XL out in Febuary/march of next year with a 199$ price tag.

now about them releasing a new handheld in the fall is very possible nvida is already working on the gpu. if you havent noticed the XL is now the third revision of a handheld that has been out since 2004. they will keep dsi/xl on the market and discontinue lites, which i know in the last thread someone said they wont keep 3 on the market but the dsi/XL are on in the same one is just larger overall. then launch a new handheld out around late november probably at 250$ while keeping dsi on the market, and the new handheld will have backward compatabilty with dsi ware, dsi, and ds carts.

dont say it hasnt happend before lol, lets track back to when the gba came out in June 11, 2001 , than had a revision in March 23, 2003 which is the SP and it was selling damn good. in November 21, 2004 the ds came out supporting backward compatability with the gba and they still kept gba on the market till about the end of 2007, they even had a backlit screen revision to the sp in 2005.

if they do intend to keep dsi as the successor than i will skip it till the next one because honestly it doesnt seem like a succesor in my eyes because all they did is rip out the gba processor and added to the ds one, the gba slot is out for a sd slot the screen was 1/4 of a inch bigger, dsi ware games, very minimal retail games and support for additional wifi and threw in 12MB more of ram none of these tech features add anything to ds games still coming out as the games do not run any smoother because of more ram as the games have caps on them as they play any way. the only features it adds is the use of .3 megapixel cams. and now the XL just adds bigger overall lol thats it.... we will see though give me till e3 2010 and i will come back here and eat my words and tell you i was wrong if i am wrong.

Your own analogy is at odds with what you're saying. According to your own argument, the GBA SP came out in the spring of 03 and the first DS didn't come out until 19 months later in November 04. So even using your analogy, the next DSi, the XL gets 19 months before the next Nintendo handheld.....which meeans the DSi, starting from right now, has two more years left in it before we get something totally different.

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 merch

but its not starting from right now lol dsi came out April 5, 2009 12 months is next april then add 7 lol u got ur 19 months :P and what is that november 2010

i dont know why your thinking the dsi xl is any different from the original dsi lol, same cpu,ram,cams,flash memory,sd card slot,ds/dsi cart support they just increased the screens 3/4 of an inch and that is what made the handheld larger. and throw in 2 styli one pen sized and one that fits in dsi xl. apart from the bigger screens it adds nothing else except 30$ more from original dsi for the 3/4 of a inch bigger screens.

i also stated that gba made a revision of the sp in 2005 with a backlight screen and i forgot to add the gba micro also came out in 2005 about 6-10 months after ds launched :P

and one more thing here is the article from october that nvidia is working on next gen ds gpu it was even confirmed by nvida themselves :P

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

bekkilyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bekkilyn
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts
If you don't already have a DS or a DSi, then I'd suggest you just go ahead and get the DSi. The additional features aren't extremely useful right now, unless you need a camera or portable music player, but you can download DSiWare and supposedly more DSi exclusives will be released in future months. If this is a system you plan to keep for a while and you don't need the GBA slot, then get the DSi and be prepared for whatever may be released in the future. It also has a slightly bigger screen but keeps the small, portable size. (If you want a much larger size, then wait for the DSi XL.) Much better than getting the DS and then finding out 6 months from now that you should have gotten the DSi in order to play _____ . I really love mine, though if I'd already had a DS, I probably wouldn't have upgraded yet. Unless of course Nintendo comes out with another system that makes having a DS or a DSi useless. :)
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RichardWrite

but its not starting from right now lol dsi came out April 5, 2009 12 months is next april then add 7 lol u got ur 19 months :P and what is that november 2010

i dont know why your thinking the dsi xl is any different from the original dsi lol, same cpu,ram,cams,flash memory,sd card slot,ds/dsi cart support they just increased the screens 3/4 of an inch and that is what made the handheld larger. and throw in 2 styli one pen sized and one that fits in dsi xl. apart from the bigger screens it adds nothing else except 30$ more from original dsi for the 3/4 of a inch bigger screens.

i also stated that gba made a revision of the sp in 2005 with a backlight screen and i forgot to add the gba micro also came out in 2005 about 6-10 months after ds launched :P

and one more thing here is the article from october that nvidia is working on next gen ds gpu it was even confirmed by nvida themselves :P

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

merch

Let's not lose sight of what the question is. The question is this: is the DSi just some filler that Nintendo tossed out there to placate us while they work on their REAL next system or IS the DSi the next evolution. And once again, your OWN ARTICLE argues against your point. They never claim that Nintendo is working on a completely different non-DSi system....but on the next generation of DS. Notice these words: "we see no reason why you could not have 4x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering on a dual-screen system." Dual-screen still sounds like a beefed-up new DS to me. They then go on to say it will play all DS games. I see nothing in that article to suggest the DS is played out....only that they intend to keep adding more and more oomph to future models.

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 merch

[QUOTE="merch"]

RichardWrite

Let's not lose sight of what the question is. The question is this: is the DSi just some filler that Nintendo tossed out there to placate us while they work on their REAL next system or IS the DSi the next evolution. And once again, your OWN ARTICLE argues against your point. They never claim that Nintendo is working on a completely different non-DSi system....but on the next generation of DS. Notice these words: "we see no reason why you could not have 4x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering on a dual-screen system." Dual-screen still sounds like a beefed-up new DS to me. They then go on to say it will play all DS games. I see nothing in that article to suggest the DS is played out....only that they intend to keep adding more and more oomph to future models.

well of course its gonna have two screens lol they will need to support backwards compatablity. what did you think it would be the return of gameboy xD the dsi is just a filler for the next one... if its still a dsi with the new gpu the old dsi wouldnt be able to keep up with its graphics. just wait and see till next e3

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RichardWrite

My last comment: The DSi cannot, by definition, be "just filler" since they have already announced an expansion of the DSi line with the XL. You like to use the Gameboy Advance SP as an example, ok fine. If they had then come out with the Gameboy Advance SP Extreme that has some super new feature, let's say a built-in TV and radio tuner as part of the hardware, then you can no loner consider the original SP "filler" since they are expanding the SP line. Likewise, if they are expanding the DSi line, then it cannot be considered filler. Let me point out, as I did in another thread today, in November, the Nintendo DS (admittedly all versions) sold 5 TIMES as many units as its closest non-Nintendo competitor, whether handheld or console. That's 1.7 million DS's vs. 360,000 X-Boxes. If Nintendo said "Hey we're going to stop making the DS now, even though it murders every other contender" and started making something else totally different and totally unproven....this would be like the New Coke debacle of the 1980s (If you don't know what I'm referring to, just Google "New Coke").