DS games for 4 year old

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Exardious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Exardious
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts
Hey there. So, im pretty new to the DS land. I got the original game boy at release though. Now about 16 years later, its my turn to churn out a hand-held for MY son. The circle is now complete. (Got it? :)) He turns four this month, and im hunting for some gaming device. So.. without any prior knowledge, the DS seems to be the most kiddie friendly of all the console incl. handhelds. Correct me if im wrong. As he is only 4 years old, id just like to know which games would suite his age the most? Also, he loves watching Pokemon in the weekend morning cartoons, but did they actually make a Pokemon game aimed at preschool kids? All of the pokemon games seem like highly advanced RPGs, and i dont think he posesses the attention span to play a game like that.
Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Giga-Goomba
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts

I would suggest pokemon and mario related games. I started Gold when I was 5 (my cuz gave it to mecoz he didnt want it) also he might like animal crossing wild world

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Hegna1
Member since 2007 • 6118 Posts
Isn't 4 a bit young to start gaming? That's just my opinion, take what you want of it, I'd wait at least 2 years. If he likes the Pokemon cartoons, can read reasonably (doesn't have to be perfect, but it kind of ruins the game if you can't read anything anyone says), and you insist on getting him a handheld gaming machine now, then Platinum or waiting a month til March for HG/SS will be fine. Pokemon is game that's easy to learn and hard to master. Basically anyone any age can learn to play, and if you don't have a problem with him watching the cartoons, you should be fine with him playing the games (despite the E rating from ESRB meaning 6+ XP) since it's not any more explicit. And yes, I do believe that almost everyone at the age of four should be able to read almost everything that would appear in a Pokemon game. It's easy language and won't be harder than those picture books you teach them with.
Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Giga-Goomba

I learnt how to read thanks to pokemon beleive it or not and it taught me new words like rage, parylize and Attack. Also the kid would know the pokemon if he watches the cartoon

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I know a 6 year old that plays some games better than I do and has been playing for 2 years.

You might research the PETZ series, which is rated E for everyone. And you can do a search on the best game sticky (see link). Or go to Gamestop and ask.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26936529&tag=topics;title

There are quite a few educational games out there which are simple enough.

If he wants to start playing, he will.

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

Get some mario themed games like mario party, new super mario bros, sonic and mario at the olympics etc.

I guess generally cartoony games.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

I would personally not get a handheld for such a young child. A console is one thing, it's stationary and a child is usually supervised, but 4 may be too young for the responsibility of a handheld. I certainly admire your intentions though, gotta get 'em hooked early ;) I'm just concerned the little guy would break it, unintentionally of course. He is 4, accidents do happen. If you're confident that he can handle it, I'd suggest Mario Kart DS. Mario Bros. would be fine and all, but the finer points of platforming might elude him, and frustrate him. However, with Mario Kart, he'll quickly feel like he's accomplishing something since he can see his character moving fast, shooting items everywhere, he'll get right into it. Just my 2 cents.

cookie_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 cookie_on_fire
Member since 2008 • 15872 Posts
I don't know...a 4 year old may not take good enough care of the DS...they are not the most tough built systems ever. I think the screens crack easily.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Nintendogs Tetris DS or Tetris DSiWare ( it will come out this year )
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Detroit222

You could probably buy a nice second hand gameboy. They're very sturdy and there are still a lot of kid friendly games out there. Plus they're very cheap.

Like the others said, except for the old DS PHAT (the first model), the others might be too flimsy for him, and the PHAT is probably too heavy.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
[QUOTE="Detroit222"]

You could probably buy a nice second hand gameboy. They're very sturdy and there are still a lot of kid friendly games out there. Plus they're very cheap.

Like the others said, except for the old DS PHAT (the first model), the others might be too flimsy for him, and the PHAT is probably too heavy.

Yeah I was going to suggest a PHAT also. As far as a game goes maybe Mario and Sonic at the Olympics seeing as that is mostly a bunch of minigames designed for a short attention span. Also possibly Nintendogs.
Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Giga-Goomba

You said you werea gamer right? If u have a wii dont bother buying him a ds. My little brother and I play on Mario kart wii and he loves it even tho he isnt very good. I guess ts just a thing young kids have with cars. If not Mario kart would be good since its quite simple (in my opinion) if you dont have one then I would agree with the others. Get him a gameboy advance because they are quite thick body. Plus There are some fun games available for it (I personally loved Yoshis Island)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

Four year olds generally don't know how to read. I don't think I can think of any games on the DS that don't require reading...

Are you sure you don't want to get him like one of those leap frog things or whatever? A DS, that's quite a responsibility for such a youngster.

But if you're absolutely sure you want to get your kid this, get him a DS phat, you never know what will happen when it comes to little kids. A DS phat is sturdier than the DS lite, so go for that.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Seriously, just get him a GBC. DS games have way too much dialogue which will just bore him. It even bores me sometimes because it's like the developers wanted to write a book instead of a game.

The GBC has more young gamer-friendly titles, and introducing him to older titles will let him appreciate the roots of handheld gaming at it's best.

But if you still want to get him DS titles, then you can't go too wrong with sidescrollers. New Super Mario Bros. is the obvious one, and any others in the genreare basically variations. Stay clear of RPG's; he's unlikely patient or competent in reading enough for those yet.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

Four year olds generally don't know how to read. I don't think I can think of any games on the DS that don't require reading...

Are you sure you don't want to get him like one of those leap frog things or whatever? A DS, that's quite a responsibility for such a youngster.

But if you're absolutely sure you want to get your kid this, get him a DS phat, you never know what will happen when it comes to little kids. A DS phat is sturdier than the DS lite, so go for that.

magitekk
New Super Mario Bros
Avatar image for theholyrevenger
theholyrevenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 theholyrevenger
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts

Games for a 4 years old kid should be simple, easy to play, fun,and not involve so much on reading stuff.So i recommend some games here:

Nintendogs: a great game, quite simple ,you will raise and care your cute dogs

Mario Kart DS: racing game

New Super Mario Bros:

Kirby: Squeak squad and Canvas Curse: similar to New super Mario bros but easier

Wario ware Touch

Yoshi island:

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

I would have suggested Wario Was snapped if you had a DS. Nintendogs is a good choice, I spy fun house?

Toxicamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxicamo
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

I wouldn't get your hopes up seeing as most of the G rated games are shovelware.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I would recommend helping your son out by giving him a leap frog or some sort of educational gaming deviceto get him a good start in life. The next DS will be around by the time he's ready to read and play.

Exardious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Exardious
Hey all Thanks for some great answers. I have no doubt that he is ready. He plays lego star wars games on my PC, and we played Lego Batman on my ps3 together. He also has a V-Smile, i don't know if your familiar with that one? (yes, he also does other stuff than gaming.) But i'd like to give him a portable device, so he can sit together with us, but without occupying the TV. The DS as a choice was based mainly on the choice of games, as i said before the DS seems to be the most kid friendly. (and his dad could play it too. :)) Keep posting if you want to share...
Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Giga-Goomba

I gave my opinion from the beggining and I will stick to what I think. If he likes Lego. They recently released a game called Lego BaTTLES. I havent actually played it but A friend said he enjoyed it. But I must stick to what Ive said from the beggining. Mario kart ds and wild world great easy to understand games with special online features for when he's slightly older.

Exardious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Exardious

I gave my opinion from the beggining and I will stick to what I think. If he likes Lego. They recently released a game called Lego BaTTLES. I havent actually played it but A friend said he enjoyed it. But I must stick to what Ive said from the beggining. Mario kart ds and wild world great easy to understand games with special online features for when he's slightly older.

Giga-Goomba
And your point is well taken, thank you. :) Mario kart seems to be a must have game. Didnt even think about that, so thanks for bringing it up.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

Nintendogs. Simple, colorful, images for items so not much reading skill required, plus it teaches math a little with the money.

Pokemon taught me math and reading when I was 4 so that might be good too. (I didn't check but this thread sounds really old?)

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Detroit222

Loathe Nintendogs (sorry fans). As it's on "real time" you must always remember to feed, walk, etc. the danged thing - too much like having a REAL dog!

You might try the MySims. There are a number of different games. It's for the younger gamers.

Others:

Go-Diego-Go: Safari Rescue

Go-Diego-Go: Great Dinosaur Rescue

Carnival Games

There are also a number of games called "Smart Boys"

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

My 4 1/2 year old has:

GBA with:

Castlevania's

Karnaaj Rally

ZELDA: link to the past

Puyo Pop

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Yoshi's Island

Bomberman Max Blue

Super Mario Advance

Iridion 2

Sims Bustin Out

Snood

Sponge Bob Square Pants

Dora

Noddy

Bubble Bobble

Tetris Plus

Pacman

For his DS he has a few games but mostly plays both mine and his mothers.

His would be:

Drawn to Life:TNC

Bakugan

Mario Kart

New Super Mario Brothers

There are many Dora/Diego type games on the system but he has those on PC, PS2, Gamecube or Wii

Hope that helps somewhat. I'd also mention that he was crazy about Bomberman for a long long time and played it both on Gamecube and GBA.

/edit after reading some of the other posts above I concur as my son also plays Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars on his DS.

Last i'll leave you with NERF ARMOR...... My son is pretty good with his devices but I have seen him hand it to a friend only to have it on the ground a few minutes later.

/edit 2 forgot that he also has Super Hero Squad and Mario Party on his DS

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hegna1

Nintendogs. Simple, colorful, images for items so not much reading skill required, plus it teaches math a little with the money.

Pokemon taught me math and reading when I was 4 so that might be good too. (I didn't check but this thread sounds really old?)

Yoweeh
Just one day old =) Though you probably could find me in older threads. XP
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

I would suggest pokemon and mario related games. I started Gold when I was 5 (my cuz gave it to mecoz he didnt want it) also he might like animal crossing wild world

Giga-Goomba
Wow do you really think a four year's old will know how to play Pokemon games? They won't even know how to level up and manage all those stats.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="rgsniper1"]

My 4 1/2 year old has:

GBA with:

Castlevania's

Karnaaj Rally

Puyo Pop

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Yoshi's Island

Bomberman Max Blue

Super Mario Advance

Iridion 2

Sims Bustin Out

Snood

Sponge Bob Square Pants

Dora

Noddy

Bubble Bobble

Tetris Plus

Pacman

His would be:

Bakugan

Mario Kart

New Super Mario Brothers

There are many Dora/Diego type games on the system but he has those on PC, PS2, Gamecube or Wii

Hope that helps somewhat. I'd also mention that he was crazy about Bomberman for a long long time and played it both on Gamecube and GBA.

/edit after reading some of the other posts above I concur as my son also plays Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars on his DS.

Last i'll leave you with NERF ARMOR...... My son is pretty good with his devices but I have seen him hand it to a friend only to have it on the ground a few minutes later.

A boy of that age may have Zelda a Link to the Past and a Castle Vania game but i'm 100% sure that he haven't cleared any of them doesn't even know how to play them.
Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hegna1
[QUOTE="Giga-Goomba"]

soulreaper-4
Wow do you really think a four year's old will know how to play Pokemon games? They won't even know how to level up and manage all those stats.

Yeah, they could. I just wouldn't recommend it at the age. It's not a hard game to start playing. The 4 year old just won't pay attention to stats and such.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="theholyrevenger"]

Games for a 4 years old kid should be simple, easy to play, fun,and not involve so much on reading stuff.So i recommend some games here:

New Super Mario Bros:

Kirby: Squeak squad and Canvas Curse: similar to New super Mario bros but easier

Wario ware Touch

Yoshi island:

Yoshi Island? Are you Nuts? I guess you haven't played it but game is so difficult that it can make anyone frustrated, don't let the box art apereance fool you.
Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Giga-Goomba

[QUOTE="theholyrevenger"]

New Super Mario Bros:

Wario ware Touch

Yoshi island:

soulreaper-4

Yoshi Island? Are you Nuts? I guess you haven't played it but game is so difficult that it can make anyone frustrated, don't let the box art apereance fool you.

I must agree that yoshis island is difficult but kids would love it because it has such vibrant colours and its quite a cheerful game! I had yoshis island for my original GBA and it was one of my earlier games.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"][QUOTE="theholyrevenger"]

New Super Mario Bros:

Wario ware Touch

Yoshi island:

Giga-Goomba

I must agree that yoshis island is difficult but kids would love it because it has such vibrant colours and its quite a cheerful game! I had yoshis island for my original GBA and it was one of my earlier games.

Yeah but Yoshi's island for GBA was very easy wile the DS one is so difficult a kid won't be able to play it even if he like colors. The only think he will get is frustration from it.

Giga-Goomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Giga-Goomba

[QUOTE="Giga-Goomba"]

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"] Yoshi Island? Are you Nuts? I guess you haven't played it but game is so difficult that it can make anyone frustrated, don't let the box art apereance fool you.soulreaper-4

Yeah but Yoshi's island for GBA was very easy wile the DS one is so difficult a kid won't be able to play it even if he like colors. The only think he will get is frustration from it.

True.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

[QUOTE="rgsniper1"]

My 4 1/2 year old has:

GBA with:

Castlevania's

Karnaaj Rally

Puyo Pop

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Yoshi's Island

Bomberman Max Blue

Super Mario Advance

Iridion 2

Sims Bustin Out

Snood

Sponge Bob Square Pants

Dora

Noddy

Bubble Bobble

Tetris Plus

Pacman

His would be:

Bakugan

Mario Kart

New Super Mario Brothers

soulreaper-4

A boy of that age may have Zelda a Link to the Past and a Castle Vania game but i'm 100% sure that he haven't cleared any of them doesn't even know how to play them.

Not sure what to say to this, I didn't say he's solved them and understands every little thing going on but he does play them quit well. Has fun playing them and only occaisionally asked me for help trying to get past a tricky part. Also I think you'd be surprised at how good kids of that age can be. I know for a fact that I grew up playing games like Mario and used to solve them. Now he's actually better at them than me a lot of the time. All I can say for sure is that those are the games he has and plays the most. He's got others as well but why list them if he's not interested as it wouldn't be a very good recomendation.

Last, I haven't "cleared" the castlevania games nor the gba version of Zelda but I still enjoy playing them. :)

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"][QUOTE="rgsniper1"]

My 4 1/2 year old has:

GBA with:

Castlevania's

Karnaaj Rally

Puyo Pop

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Yoshi's Island

Bomberman Max Blue

Super Mario Advance

Iridion 2

Sims Bustin Out

Snood

Sponge Bob Square Pants

Dora

Noddy

Bubble Bobble

Tetris Plus

Pacman

His would be:

Bakugan

Mario Kart

New Super Mario Brothers

rgsniper1

Not sure what to say to this, I didn't say he's solved them and understands every little thing going on but he does play them quit well. Has fun playing them and only occaisionally asked me for help trying to get past a tricky part. Also I think you'd be surprised at how good kids of that age can be. I know for a fact that I grew up playing games like Mario and used to solve them. Now he's actually better at them than me a lot of the time. All I can say for sure is that those are the games he has and plays the most. He's got others as well but why list them if he's not interested as it wouldn't be a very good recomendation.

Last, I haven't "cleared" the castlevania games nor the gba version of Zelda but I still enjoy playing them. :)

He's definitely not too young to play videogames; I started gaming when I was 3 and though I wasn't exactly skilled I could still get through games from sidescrollers to AGI games and was able to enjoy them with the occasional assistance. If he's gaming now then he'll probably look back when he's older and appreciate that about his childhood.
wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

i thought 4 was a bit young but i guess i started 5 or 6

devistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 devistic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Hegna1"]And yes, I do believe that almost everyone at the age of four should be able to read almost everything that would appear in a Pokemon game. It's easy language and won't be harder than those picture books you teach them with.

You obviously don't have a child... 4 years old is a bit young to reading sentences... picking up a few familiar words here and there is about all you can expect from a 4 year old.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

They should put a disclaimer on every page on Gamespot saying: LOOK AT THE DATE ON THE POST GENIUS.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
[QUOTE="devistic"][QUOTE="Hegna1"]And yes, I do believe that almost everyone at the age of four should be able to read almost everything that would appear in a Pokemon game. It's easy language and won't be harder than those picture books you teach them with.

You obviously don't have a child... 4 years old is a bit young to reading sentences... picking up a few familiar words here and there is about all you can expect from a 4 year old.

What country are you from?
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#41 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Make sure they don't lose it, but I would recommend-

• Mario Kart
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • Sonic Rush
  • Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulreaper-4

No offence, but i don't understand why people on these forums make a topic just to ask about games for little kids. You can go to gamestop, and browse the internet and read.

Thalasi3513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Thalasi3513
Not a great endorsement. Learnt is not a word. Spell check other maybe words also. My 4yr. old grandson can do better . Really?
Thalasi3513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thalasi3513
Spell check
Thalasi3513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Thalasi3513

I learnt how to read thanks to pokemon beleive it or not and it taught me new words like rage, parylize and Attack. Also the kid would know the pokemon if he watches the cartoon

Giga-Goomba
Thalasi3513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Thalasi3513
Never mind
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

Hey there. So, im pretty new to the DS land. I got the original game boy at release though. Now about 16 years later, its my turn to churn out a hand-held for MY son. The circle is now complete. (Got it? :)) He turns four this month, and im hunting for some gaming device. So.. without any prior knowledge, the DS seems to be the most kiddie friendly of all the console incl. handhelds. Correct me if im wrong. As he is only 4 years old, id just like to know which games would suite his age the most? Also, he loves watching Pokemon in the weekend morning cartoons, but did they actually make a Pokemon game aimed at preschool kids? All of the pokemon games seem like highly advanced RPGs, and i dont think he posesses the attention span to play a game like that.Exardious

New Super Mario Brothers, alway my favorite game, maybe a little hard for a 4 year-old kid, but it's the best answer i can come up with