DQIX... 2 Cartridges

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Am I the only one who did not know that Dragon Quest 9 is going to be on 2 cartridges?? How are they going to do that? Is there some internal memory onthe DS or something that saves your info while you switch cartridges??

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Damn...this is news to me too. I'm guessing this game is going to cost 45 bucks?
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#4 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts

Am I the only one who did not know that Dragon Quest 9 is going to be on 2 cartridges?? How are they going to do that? Is there some internal memory onthe DS or something that saves your info while you switch cartridges??

roboccs

thats actually a good question cus the DS doesn't have any internal memory really.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 roboccs
Is it possible that it will also come with a GBA cartridge so when it is time to change game cartridges the data will be saved on the GBA cartridge and allow you to then access cartridge 2? Very intersting indeed. I wonder when the game is going to come out in the US because the trailers look awesome; one of the best looking DS games I've seen.
Jack_de_Farro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Jack_de_Farro
Member since 2006 • 71 Posts
Nintendo DS HAVE 128Mb of internal memory, otherwise how could be possible to play "Download play" multiplayer mode. So there is nothing strange in 2-cartridge games.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs

Nintendo DS HAVE 128Mb of internal memory, otherwise how could be possible to play "Download play" multiplayer mode. So there is nothing strange in 2-cartridge games.Jack_de_Farro

Oh... I honestly did not realize that the DS had internal memory. That answers my question.

hyro_the_pyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hyro_the_pyro
Member since 2004 • 34 Posts

Nintendo DS HAVE 128Mb of internal memory, otherwise how could be possible to play "Download play" multiplayer mode. So there is nothing strange in 2-cartridge games.Jack_de_Farro

Haha. beat me to it, I was just about to hit reply and say exactly that! So yeah, 2 cart games aren't that unusual and I think more ds games should definitely use multi-carts!

Jack_de_Farro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jack_de_Farro
Member since 2006 • 71 Posts
I think it's more reasonable to make game on one big (256, 512 Mb) cartridge. It's cheaper and more convenient
Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
2 things, ds accepts up to 2 gbs cartdriges, but games can be no bigger than 128 megs... and i dont think its 128 internal memory, it has to be much lower... well thats what i think, but im sure games cant be bigger than 128 megs
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts
i think as long as the save data isn't bigger than 128mb, then it should be fine. if you look at memory cards for PS1/PS2 and look at how big a save file is for an RPG, it's relatively small. all they have to do is save the character data and you'll be able to plop those characters into any setting.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barney_calhoun_

Lets see, a save data for ps1 final fantasys was about 8 kb... only status was saved

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

2 things, ds accepts up to 2 gbs cartdriges, but games can be no bigger than 128 megs... and i dont think its 128 internal memory, it has to be much lower... well thats what i think, but im sure games cant be bigger than 128 megsbarney_calhoun_

ASH-Archaic Sealed Heat was over 200 megs... so... ya.

barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 barney_calhoun_
Ok, let me check if you are right, be back is some minutes
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 barney_calhoun_

Indeed i was wrong, zipped the rom is 144 megs, im not downloading because i dont need more proof than that

I wont give any url of where i checked this because that would be illegal...

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

DS carts can go up to a maximum size of 2 gigbits (256mb) currently, and they're not as cost effective iirc.

Anyways, would a cart swap even work? Last I recall the system just locks up once you pop it out.

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ta11on
Well if you have a GBA cartrige with the game, you can save all your data on the first DS cartrige to the GBA, turn off the DS, then insert the other game, and load your save from the GBA to the second DS cartrige.
acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts

Dang dude, this sounds very epic, I hope so, I am a huge dragon quest fan, Ive played all of the dragon quests and I can't wait for 9, this is very exciting, I am just as excited as I was back when DQ8 was about to come out.

Please people, go buy this game when it comes out, Don't overlook it, dragon quest is an awesome series, there is no reason why it don't sell as good as final fantasy in america.

barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 barney_calhoun_
Whens is the release date for japan?
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 project-exile
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

Dang dude, this sounds very epic, I hope so, I am a huge dragon quest fan, Ive played all of the dragon quests and I can't wait for 9, this is very exciting, I am just as excited as I was back when DQ8 was about to come out.

Please people, go buy this game when it comes out, Don't overlook it, dragon quest is an awesome series, there is no reason why it don't sell as good as final fantasy in america.

acidic_dude

I will buy the game. I remember playing dq8 and it was a huge game. I hope many other dragon quest games come out over here. I hope we do not have to wait to much longer.

potterpipi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 potterpipi
Member since 2005 • 16597 Posts
I didnt know that, sweet. Though yeah, the DS has memory space.
vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts

Damn...this is news to me too. I'm guessing this game is going to cost 45 bucks? majadamus

Same. Reminds me of FFVII and FFVIII.

ZehhBR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZehhBR
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

The game doesn't need to use 2 cartridges, it can use a 2Gbit (256MegaBytes) card.

Sorry for my English, my primary language is Portuguese

barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 barney_calhoun_

[QUOTE="barney_calhoun_"]Whens is the release date for japan?Bio_Spark

Still uncertain, but the devs say it should be done around the end of the year.

As for the two-cartridge thing, some people think they'll just use a larger cartridge like in ASH. Most (maybe even all?) of the DS's internal memory is reserved for firmware settings.

end of the year.. and its a probability that wont get an english version... im gonna die waiting

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Couldn't it use the larger game cartridge? :?
Tokyo512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tokyo512
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts

There is!? Ok im confused, can you give me a link or something? I mean it makes sense and stuff, but why isn't this 128mb used for anything else exactly? It's not like these downloaded games are saved ANYWHERE, they disappear.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts
Didn't FF4 use a bigger than normal cart? 1024mb?
Why don't DQ9 just use a cart with larger storage for it's needs instead of spreading over 2 carts? =/
Tokyo512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tokyo512
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts

Didn't FF4 use a bigger than normal cart? 1024mb?
Why don't DQ9 just use a cart with larger storage for it's needs instead of spreading over 2 carts? =/foreversai

1024mb? Ugh my knowledge of this information stuff just seems useless just because I'm being so gullible. Dude 1024mb is like gigabytes of memory already isn't it!? Jesus don't disk-based games use like that much(probably more, but thats a dickload for a DS card)Btw a regular card is like 128mb(i think, don't quote me because i don't think I'm right) so having one thats like 8 x bigger doesn't even almost make half sense. It makes about much sense as my previous sentence. I thought i was a rumor that it was two cards btw.

yowvapa2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yowvapa2
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

I thought that DS games use memory cards, not cartridges. By the way, 1 GB is equiv. to 1024 MBs.

The game doesn't need to use 2 cartridges, it can use a 2Gbit (256MegaBytes) card.

2 GBs is equiv. to 2048 MBs, not 256 MBs.

barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 barney_calhoun_

No 2gigabits is 256 mbs, 2 gigabytes is 2048 mbs

And no, ff4 used an 1 Gbit cartdrige (128 megs)

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

I don't really care about how many cartridges it has, I just want a release date

Its a mood killer that they're throwing out online, it would've been nice, anything would've been nice

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ta11on
FF4 used a 128 mb card