Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Will they fix the controls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Everybody knows that Donkey Kong Country Returns is a superb platformer that suffers from one very unnecessary flaw. The cumbersome waggle controls are unintuitive in a game that requires a lot of precision. Having to waggle for three different moves could lead to ground pounding when you wanted to roll or rolling when you wanted to blow etc. Eventually I got used to it, but that's not to say the experience wouldn't have been better had these actions been mapped to buttons.

Just this year the game was ported to the 3DS and I thought they'd fix this problem, but instead they replaced one cumbersome button configuration with another. The game plays fine on 3DS except for one problem. The game uses the L and R buttons... Why? In order to grab items or cling to vines and grass, you have to hold the L/R button and that's also very cumbersome. The only other control method in this game has you using the L/R buttons for rolling and ground pounds. Let's face it, the L/R buttons on the 3DS are in a very awkward spot that forces the player to cramp their hands a bit to press.

Basically I hope that they manage a good controll layout for the next Donkey Kong adventure. I still cannot believe they won't just do the obvious and intuitive layout

B= grab/run

Y= ground pound/roll/blow

A= Jump

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#2 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Since they will use the Gamepad for controlling the kongs, even if only using the Wiimote will certainly be an option, I am sure it will have no waggle involved on that control scheme.

I am not too confident about the Wiimote configuration, though.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Unless it uses the touch screen in some silly, awkward way, I'm sure the controls will be standard.
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I got used to the motion controls in DKCR, and didn't mind using them for rolling, blowing, and pounding. I actually enjoyed them, but yeah they're likely not as precise as button presses. For Tropical Freeze I'll probably just stick to the gamepad control setup. I haven't tried DKCR 3D yet.
unreal223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 unreal223
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

I think this game will have pro controller support. 
The reason being that it has multiplayer and even the new mario game is going to have pro controller support in order to facilitate more players. If they do something dumb like require wii mote, I will not buy this game. They finally fixed NSMBU, there is no reason I should have to use a sideways wii mote just because the game is a 2d platformer. I loved Donkey Kong on wii but the controls were terrible. All they had to do was allow classic controller but they wanted to make players use the aweful motion controls.  

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Unless it uses the touch screen in some silly, awkward way, I'm sure the controls will be standard. meetroid8
Hopefully, the touch screen is only used for the standard off-TV play, or maybe some kind of boost mode for co-op. I think it'll be fine. NSMBU made the shaking for spin-jumps optional and even patched in Wii-U Pro Controller support. No reason why they can't do the same for Tropical Freeze.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
No waggle? I'm in.
calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but while listening to a podcast from one of the developers, it was recommended you play with the gamepad for the best game play.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Honestly, people who complain about DK waggle are just blowing things out of proportions. DKCR plays just fine with the wiimote. people just don't like anything different.

Still, gamepad. What's the problem now?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I don't know why they refuse to have some flexibility on their control schemes. They have so many controllers and it should be mandatory to make them all useable.

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

On the 3DS it's B or A to jump, X or Y to pound, and L or R to grab.  I expect something similar for this game.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but while listening to a podcast from one of the developers, it was recommended you play with the gamepad for the best game play.

calway55

That pretty much confirms a no waggle option doesn't it? I don't own a pro controller yet, but I'm quite positive it doesn't have motion functionality.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

In the latest issue of Game Informer the top fifty playable games of E3 are covered and DKC:TF is one of them. This is what the article had to say with regard to the control scheme:

"The gameplay is largely similar to Returns and seems to be tailored to use a Wii remote and nunchuck, though Nintendo said that Tropical Freeze can be played with the Wii U GamePad. However, the controls for pounding the ground and a roll attack are still done by shaking the Wii remote and/or Nunchuck."Â