Done with Mario Kart (Wii)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts

I ran out and got Mario Kart (Wii) just as soon as it came out. I was so excited to play it with a motion sensitive controller. I began playing it and loved every second... of the Time Trials.

VS mode is totally stacked against the players; so much so that I'm pretty much done with the game. Even on NORMAL, I get constantly rocked by every shell and in-track annoyance in the game. A friend of mine borrowed it today, and I honestly don't care if he brings it back.

Done...

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#2 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I ran out and got Mario Kart (Wii) just as soon as it came out. I was so excited to play it with a motion sensitive controller. I began playing it and loved every second... of the Time Trials.

VS mode is totally stacked against the players; so much so that I'm pretty much done with the game. Even on NORMAL, I get constantly rocked by every shell and in-track annoyance in the game. A friend of mine borrowed it today, and I honestly don't care if he brings it back.

Done...

TheCyberKnight

I don't think it's as bad as they say. Double Dash was equally biased, items-wise, but in Mario Kart Wii enough skill will get you to finish first most of the times. Of course there are races when everything is against you, but I've driven plenty of races in 150cc without getting hit by something other than Lightning. I got a star on every GP within a week, so I don't think it was that hard.

Avatar image for Insane_Swordman
Insane_Swordman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Insane_Swordman
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Done...

TheCyberKnight

same here...

No! red shell!!! Yeah i got in first! *BOOM* BLUE SHELL :O

Yeah a starman! AW I GOT BUMPED OFF!

I'll throw a green shell! and... it hit me!!!

HOW DID HE GET A BULLET IN 2nd!?

those are problems

bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 bugbite250
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
i dont like how they took out the awesome battle, Bomb Battle, from Double Dash!!!
soxfreak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soxfreak42
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
The game is awesome, I bet theres millions of others out there who feel the same.
toonlinkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 toonlinkk
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts
This is the reason that I'm gonna buy Okami instead of mario kart. I was debating which to get, and with all the items going against you I'll just get sick of it and I know it.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

great game, and vs mode is easy

in fact it's not hard to maintain first position for the whole race in all classes.

get a good lead and even if you get blue shelled 2x you'll still win.

if you don't block red shells thats your fault.

bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bugbite250

i dont get what okami is about!! how is okami better mario kart wii??!?!?!

bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugbite250
hahaha!! ya i love the game!!!
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
If your friend likes it then try to trade it to him or something. You can only get so good in Mario Kart anyways. Not like it's a game with tons of depth in its gameplay anyways.
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bugbite250
wait...... who are talking to???????????????????????????????
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Games aren't supposed to last you forever.

The big clue is that they keep on making new games

You buy a game, play it for a month or two then go onto the next game.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Maybe you just suckSonicBalla
This.^^ The game is great. I felt the same as you the first week playing single player and unlocking things. Then, I went online, got my ass kicked a little, and was feeling still a bit negative toward the game. That it was unfair, but I noticed the 8000VR+ players who kept constantly winning and thought....maybe there's something I'm missing. Yeah, what I was missing was freaking skills. I got back to single player to unlock everything, starred the GP, unlocked expert staff ghosts in TT, took my ass back online, went from 6500vr to 7500vr to 8500vr to 9000+vr. Thought I would never rate that high. The game is excellent.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LINKloco

i dont get what okami is about!! how is okami better mario kart wii??!?!?!

bugbite250
You can't compare the two. They are both excellent games from totally different genres.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#16 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
i don't play on it as much as I use to. The only things thats amazing about it is the online mode.
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bugbite250
hmmm.... i gotta try Okami.... sounds really cool! (thinking)
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bugbite250
ya.... i love it when u rule the world in Mario Kart. ahhh.... (relaxed)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chocolate1325
You know I felt like that after a couple of weeks. I go on it from time to time so I don't get frustrated.
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bugbite250
yes! i do that to!
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts

Jaysonguy
Sometimes you don't have the money, or the time, orrrrrr there's not a good game that comes out in a month or two.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chocolate1325
I know it can get frustrating but overall it is a fantastic game epsically online it is extremly addictive. I haven't played it much recently but I always enjoy myself when I go on it but its not my favourite in the series but it is in my top 3 favourite Mario Kart games.
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bugbite250
ya! im not gonna get a wii game until X-mas!!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

randomguy15

Sometimes you don't have the money, or the time, orrrrrr there's not a good game that comes out in a month or two.

Then you revisit an old game and sometime when you're playing a new game you may revisit Mario Kart.

No game developer has ever intended for one title to satisfy a gamer, that's why they make a bunch.

Everyone needs some sort of variety. I'm not even talking NEW variety. Just a variety of games even if they're the same genre.

mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts
Done with Mario Kart Wii? Hmm, where have I heard that one before? Yeah, I get it how it can be really frustrating all the time. I kept getting ass whooped by coms and then I pretty much turned off the game for a couple days. I later thought to myself, "This game is so cuddly and cute, I'm NOT gonna let it get the best of me". So I went back, played for weeks, got better, and I'm now enjoying myself. Lesson here? PRACTICE
bugbite250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bugbite250
i havnt been playing Mario Kart Wii for a long time now. maybe ill try it on saturday.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I guess your just bad at it, and it might be because your using the wii wheel. If not I guess your just plain bad at it.

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts

Practice is one thing. Getting screwed is another.

I've got the tracks down (mostly). I've got drifting down. It's not a matter of making mistakes. It's a matter of being screwed.

I can be in 1st place and get screwed back to 8th - 12th some 50 (scale) yards from the finish line. Also, I can be in 8th - 12th place and continue to get screwed; even when I'm not the least bit threatening to the rest of the group. AND, I'm not even talking about online play... Just regular 'ol in-game VS.

I'm not saying it happens EVERY time. It doesn't. However it does happen more often than it doesn't happen.

It doesn't make me mad to get hit. It doesn't make me mad to come in NOT 1st - 3rd or 4th. What pisses me off is when I'm a) Getting screwed for no reason (I'm already in 8th - 12th place), or b) Getting boned from 1st or 2nd to 8th - 12th instantly (whether or not I'm on the 3rd lap etc.)

Like I said, the game has a lot of great content, but if I'm not enjoying it; it's time to call it quits.

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
I believe this belongs in your blog.
musicman748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 musicman748
Member since 2007 • 2754 Posts
The game can get ery furusted like when your in first online and get disconnected and loose 200 VR but dont give up just keep trying it.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

The game requires as much luck now as it does with Mario Party games. Lets be honest, the computers suck on all cc levels and the only way they can win is by abusing blue shells in particular. Who seriously wants to dominate a race only to be hit b y 6 blue shells and be pushed back into the pack.

The GP mode is the worst of all Mario Karts simply because they got rid of 2 player GP which i think was the best mode in Mario Kart games. Only reason they done this is to put the star system the DS version has which simply does not suit the Wii version because you don't have many decent vechicles you can use (like using ROB on the DS you can get 3 stars rankings without much trouble).

I also don't like many of the choices for the retro tracks but what they have done to them (Ghost Valley 2 in particular). Atleast the new tracks are great but the special ones are GC clones (i much preferred the GC special tracks). The lack of mission mode (or a choice to save missions offered in tournaments onto the Wii) is questionable.

The Wii wheel is rubbish though Motion Plus could of made it much better if it was released.

In the end the problems with Mario Kart Wii, DD and 64 was a lack of content. Not a problem with MK 64 because it was an early N64 game and was an amazing game. But MK Wii is missing so many MK DS features, doesn't push the Wii graphically and uses dual layer DVD. How can Brawl fit so much content and have great graphics and MK Wii doesn't?

Gregdawg08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Gregdawg08
Member since 2008 • 7384 Posts

You get used to blowing it. You should win at least 60% of the races, otherwise your just not good. Rule #1 is NO WII-WHEEL!

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#33 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

If your friend likes it then try to trade it to him or something. You can only get so good in Mario Kart anyways. Not like it's a game with tons of depth in its gameplay anyways.Lyphe2k

I think Mario Kart Wii is a pretty deep racing game, actually. You may not notice it when playing online in random servers, because the race is far too chaotic (although the same couple of people will nearly always be found in the top 3 places), but when racing one-on-one with someone on my friends list, or when doing VS. races on hard without items on, I really notice that knowing how to race well will pay you off much more than it did in games like Double Dash and Mario Kart 64, without having to resort to tactics such as snaking. Given, it's not Gran Turismo, but for a karting game this is a pretty deep racing experience, with all the different vehicles and ways to control them. It's a typical Nintendo game. Looking cute, and easy to roll into, but the depth is there if you go look for it.

And on the topic of getting star ratings - it's pretty easy to get at least one star in GPs with bikes that have a relatively high top speed and drift inwards - Bowser Bike, Magikruiser, Bubble Bike, Dolphin Dasher, Mach Bike, Nitrocycle, etc. Even some karts like the Wild Wing and the Rally Romper can prove to be quite nimble. Note that vehicle names are different in the European version so I don't know exactly what they're called in North America.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chocolate1325

If you play it for just a little bit then you might not get annoyed that much.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Minishdriveby
I've actually never experienced an onslaught of items. So I really can't share the feelings with everyone else in this thread (and the whole nintendo wii board). I really don't find the game to be based on luck, and I find the AI to be easier then double dash.
SolemnJedi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolemnJedi79
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts

The common thread I'm seeing here and other forums is that if you dislike the game in any way you're automatically labelled as 'bad at it' or 'you suck' isn't it possible to simply firmly believe that the game has major flaws which make it unenjoyable for some to play?

Personally I haven't touched the game, nor felt the need to, for about a month now. I got it, unlocked everything, played online, got 2-Star ranking and 8000+VR, and then just decided that.. the game sucks. I'm not bad at it as my stats will show. It's just not fun for me. Which is sad because I played Double Dash for 5 years on a regular basis and it had not nearly as much content.

Then again, I had the same issue with MKDS, I never play that either. Perhaps it's something to do with the way they propel the CPU characters in DS and Wii as opposed to how they handled it in DD and 64. And the way that you are rewarded for sucking and punished for doing anything good.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#37 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

so, you aren't very good at mario kart...understood.

i love the fact that mario kart wii is truely seperating the good players and the bad players...people think the game is cheap/unfair/unbalanced...hahahaha

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Minishdriveby

The common thread I'm seeing here and other forums is that if you dislike the game in any way you're automatically labelled as 'bad at it' or 'you suck' isn't it possible to simply firmly believe that the game has major flaws which make it unenjoyable for some to play?

Personally I haven't touched the game, nor felt the need to, for about a month now. I got it, unlocked everything, played online, got 2-Star ranking and 8000+VR, and then just decided that.. the game sucks. I'm not bad at it as my stats will show. It's just not fun for me. Which is sad because I played Double Dash for 5 years on a regular basis and it had not nearly as much content.

Then again, I had the same issue with MKDS, I never play that either. Perhaps it's something to do with the way they propel the CPU characters in DS and Wii as opposed to how they handled it in DD and 64. And the way that you are rewarded for sucking and punished for doing anything good.

SolemnJedi79

It's one thing to not like the game, it's another to say I don't like the game because I think it's difficult or cheap. if people say option B that's when others will respond in "maybe your just bad at it".

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chex81
[QUOTE="SolemnJedi79"]

Minishdriveby

It's one thing to not like the game, it's another to say I don't like the game because I think it's difficult or cheap. if people say option B that's when others will respond in "maybe your just bad at it".

Exactly...thank you for pointing that out.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chex81

The GP mode is the worst of all Mario Karts simply because they got rid of 2 player GP which i think was the best mode in Mario Kart games.

The Wii wheel is rubbish though Motion Plus could of made it much better if it was released.

Nintendo_Man

I do agree with the GP mode comment...that really pissed me off as well because thats all i played with Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash.

I love the Wii wheel...i think the controls are tight, the sensitivity is dead on...i will never go back to playing mario kart any other way.

leader_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 leader_e
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
buying mario kart was my biggest mistake not becuz i dont like it becuz of my big brothers they wont let me play anything else & they r nongamers (by the way iam not a kid iam 24 years old)
Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
I agree, item wise it's rigged sometime. I go from 1st to rocked by a blue shell, I say hey I can dig I still got half a track to cover then I get rammed by a red shell and pushed back to 8th.. oh well.. Wifi is great,many great racers online. I am not very good at using the wheel however, I guess I need to practice I prefer wiimote & nun combo though. Overall it is a great game I still need to get characters and karts but in good time, I have about 5 other games that need to get beat and done over with.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LINKloco
buying mario kart was my biggest mistake not becuz i dont like it becuz of my big brothers they wont let me play anything else & they r nongamers (by the way iam not a kid iam 24 years old)leader_e
WTF?
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

The only thing I hate is playing against friends and getting rocked by blue shells the second you get into first, or 10 feet from the finish line, giving your friends bragging rights even if you're racing at a superior level.

Actually, I take that back, the worst is being in third, with a close race with number 1 and 2, THEY get blue shelled, you attempt to go around, and still get hit with a microfraction of the blue shell shock wave, and either fall off a cliff or fall further back into the pack, bullsh*t

Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="leader_e"]buying mario kart was my biggest mistake not becuz i dont like it becuz of my big brothers they wont let me play anything else & they r nongamers (by the way iam not a kid iam 24 years old)LINKloco
WTF?

Lol?