Does anyone like Nintendo's marketing technique?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
I find it very annoying they keep everyone in the dark, and dont tell anyone till the last minute. They dont release the release dates, or any announcments. Its getting frustating, i have nothing to look forward to, like people are saying, how about an upgradable Mii Channel? Well Nintendo wont announce it till the last minute and wont say a word, same with online....i just find it annoying....
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
I like it, it allows Nintendo to get stuff to the publci when it's ready.
When you rush things to the public just to make deadlines you end up with PR nightmares like the 360's having tons of defective units that Microsoft knew about but shipped anyhow.

We know they're coming we just don't know exact dates.
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 soulfood4
Okay you have a point but they should announce some info on things like new channels, online, and games.
the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts
i dont like it but i think its a smart thing to do
Kenshin112345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Kenshin112345
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
U do not like surprises?

I like it.  I like surprises.  I just need a gud internet connection to get all teh stuf from the shop channel that's free.....lol.
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 joespimpin
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
I find it very annoying they keep everyone in the dark, and dont tell anyone till the last minute. They dont release the release dates, or any announcments. Its getting frustating, i have nothing to look forward to, like people are saying, how about an upgradable Mii Channel? Well Nintendo wont announce it till the last minute and wont say a word, same with online....i just find it annoying....soulfood4

I agree that its annoying but it hasn't changed since the days of NES.  There is so much to go into on this topic that I am not going to go into it.

Basically Nintendo is taking the see for your self approach which might be working for non gamers, but is it selling to gamers?  I think that is the big hurdle in the whole thing.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Nintendo has previously commented on this. Sony likes to steal Nintendo's ideas so Nintendo wants to keep things a secret till the last possible moment to mimize Sony's chances of implementing the stuff before Nintendo does.

Also due to a pending stock trade finance laws make it impossible for Nintendo to speak of new things till the trade is complete.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulfood4
U do not like surprises?

I like it.  I like surprises.  I just need a gud internet connection to get all teh stuf from the shop channel that's free.....lol.
Kenshin112345
Lol no i HATE surprises, thats why when i was a kid i always tried to find out my gifts before christmas. But anyway, im just waiting for an announcement of a demo channel or that there wont be a demo channel that way i wont have to hold my breath...
xboxshenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 xboxshenron
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
Nope dont like it
They should have already released their online system because the Wii console number is a joke
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
Its smart as hell from a business prospect, but even still, it sucks for us gamers who want and need to knwo this stuff. And sometimes, i really don't think they know waht tehy are doing until last minute:P I like the philosophy of its done when its doen, not when we said it would be a year ago. But teh whole secret, non existant online, and the lack of info on key games for 07 is a little annoying.
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulfood4
[QUOTE="Goten_king"]Its smart as hell from a business prospect, but even still, it sucks for us gamers who want and need to knwo this stuff. And sometimes, i really don't think they know waht tehy are doing until last minute:P I like the philosophy of its done when its doen, not when we said it would be a year ago. But teh whole secret, non existant online, and the lack of info on key games for 07 is a little annoying.

Yah i agree with you 100 percent
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

I like it, it allows Nintendo to get stuff to the publci when it's ready.
When you rush things to the public just to make deadlines you end up with PR nightmares like the 360's having tons of defective units that Microsoft knew about but shipped anyhow.

Jaysonguy

Agreed. Nintendos strategy is very well executed. once your secret is out you have nothing. if you build up antisipation everyone is hyped and intrigued at your property. that way they spend some time researching it and get involved. which ultimately gives a higher purchase chance

360 just threw out a random TV special which showed what it had and left a lot skeptical. i know i was. True waiting for new info can be a pain but i liked to be surprised more than waiting for something to happen that i already know all about.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 soulfood4

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I like it, it allows Nintendo to get stuff to the publci when it's ready.

bofe1234

Agreed. Nintendos strategy is very well executed. once your secret is out you have nothing. if you build up antisipation everyone is hyped and intrigued at your property. that way they spend some time researching it and get involved. which ultimately gives a higher purchase chance

360 just threw out a random TV special which showed what it had and left a lot skeptical. i know i was. True waiting for new info can be a pain but i liked to be surprised more than waiting for something to happen that i already know all about.

But building up anticipation lead to hype, and when a game gets too much hype *cough* SSBB *cough* its going to disappoint which leads to flops AKA Motrostorm. Also I want them to announce new channels! Wheres my Demo Channel?
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bofe1234
[QUOTE="bofe1234"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I like it, it allows Nintendo to get stuff to the publci when it's ready.

soulfood4

But building up anticipation lead to hype, and when a game gets too much hype *cough* SSBB *cough* its going to disappoint which leads to flops AKA Motrostorm. Also I want them to announce new channels! Wheres my Demo Channel?

But you dont understand. the more hype the more people will buy. thats the companies main concern, money, and they think the best strategy (and so do i) is to create a lot of hype by keeping things secret. by people antisipaiting something they want it more.

it like going on a really awesome vacation. the week before you are super excited because you dont know what to expect but you know your going to have a great time.

But if your just going on the same vacation over and over youll know what to expect probably making you not have as good of a time.

Meaning the secrets make the game interesting and seem fresh. not somethign youve seen a million times. i think Nintendo does a fantastic job of this.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soulfood4
[QUOTE="soulfood4"][QUOTE="bofe1234"]

bofe1234

But you dont understand. the more hype the more people will buy. thats the companies main concern, money, and they think the best strategy (and so do i) is to create a lot of hype by keeping things secret. by people antisipaiting something they want it more.

it like going on a really awesome vacation. the week before you are super excited because you dont know what to expect but you know your going to have a great time.

But if your just going on the same vacation over and over youll know what to expect probably making you not have as good of a time.

Meaning the secrets make the game interesting and seem fresh. not somethign youve seen a million times. i think Nintendo does a fantastic job of this.

Yes its great marketing, but as a gamer i dont like it at all. Sure they make alot of money but im starting to lose interest....while others may like waiting and hyping games, i dont, i dont hype the game i lose interest with it. So info would be great, no matter how much, even a little will do...
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
Okay you have a point but they should announce some info on things like new channels, online, and games.soulfood4

Well Nintendo might not be ready to give specifics about certain areas of the system.  If you note, companies like sony are always quick to push out their information.  This builds hype but you also get a lot of people who are annoyed with the end result because the game or service announced may have added or dropped some of the features they want/didnt want.
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bofe1234

Yes its great marketing, but as a gamer i dont like it at all. Sure they make alot of money but im starting to lose interest....while others may like waiting and hyping games, i dont, i dont hype the game i lose interest with it. So info would be great, no matter how much, even a little will do...

Well then your SOL cuz nintendo is very secretive and rarely release info. but now looking GDC is tomorrow and there is bound to be some great news from miyamoto so you got something to look forward to. i can understand why you would want more info as i do to but you have to accept there strategy and just be patient. because in the long run its usually really great.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 soulfood4

bofe1234

Well then your SOL cuz nintendo is very secretive and rarely release info. but now looking GDC is tomorrow and there is bound to be some great news from miyamoto so you got something to look forward to. i can understand why you would want more info as i do to but you have to accept there strategy and just be patient. because in the long run its usually really great.

Yah, i guess so, Miyamoto is suppose to talk on Thursday so till then.....
muhamaghat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 muhamaghat
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts
I find it very annoying they keep everyone in the dark, and dont tell anyone till the last minute. They dont release the release dates, or any announcments. Its getting frustating, i have nothing to look forward to, like people are saying, how about an upgradable Mii Channel? Well Nintendo wont announce it till the last minute and wont say a word, same with online....i just find it annoying....soulfood4
How long have you been a nintendo fan ?! they've done this since the start to keep stuff away from SONY, and M$ cause they try to copy.. not so much M$
ghostadv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 ghostadv
Member since 2004 • 3080 Posts
I agree, I don't particularly care for it, although I can understand it from a business POV. Still, it's one of many things I don't like about Nintendo.
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulfood4
[QUOTE="soulfood4"]I find it very annoying they keep everyone in the dark, and dont tell anyone till the last minute. They dont release the release dates, or any announcments. Its getting frustating, i have nothing to look forward to, like people are saying, how about an upgradable Mii Channel? Well Nintendo wont announce it till the last minute and wont say a word, same with online....i just find it annoying....muhamaghat
How long have you been a nintendo fan ?! they've done this since the start to keep stuff away from SONY, and M$ cause they try to copy.. not so much M$

This is my first Nintendo system since the SNES, and i was too young to care about certain games and release dates back then....
Psy236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Psy236
Member since 2006 • 973 Posts
THere's things I like and things I dislike about the way nintendo does things. I like that they don't always just give a bunch of info about things at once because it stops the suprise and doesn't give us anything to expect until the game is out, it doesn't let us figure out the cool suprising things because we were already told, it's like getting spoilers sometimes. I also like it because I am one of the ppl who love to be told about a secret but at the same time, love to go and find these things out themselves. I don't like it because I like to know when to expect to have what I've been waiting for, I don't like waiting and waiting then, oops, it's here and I'm not ready for it. I prefer to know when something's coming but I would rather a lot of the big info about it be a secret till release. like for SSBB, I would love a release date, but I would like them to keep some of the unlockable chars a secret, or maybe have some other cool features a suprise that u won't find out until u buy it, or when someone else blabs it to u. So I think nintendo should keep their current strategy BUT tweak it a lil to let out some of that basic info such as release dates, online features, and new Wii features.
_Devastator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 _Devastator
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

I understand your frustration, but the last date I remember was Twilight Princess due out 4th Quarter 2005, sorry I meant Feb 2006 oops July 2006, then 4th Quarter 2006.  :)

I don't know which makes me more aggrivated.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soulfood4
THere's things I like and things I dislike about the way nintendo does things. I like that they don't always just give a bunch of info about things at once because it stops the suprise and doesn't give us anything to expect until the game is out, it doesn't let us figure out the cool suprising things because we were already told, it's like getting spoilers sometimes. I also like it because I am one of the ppl who love to be told about a secret but at the same time, love to go and find these things out themselves. I don't like it because I like to know when to expect to have what I've been waiting for, I don't like waiting and waiting then, oops, it's here and I'm not ready for it. I prefer to know when something's coming but I would rather a lot of the big info about it be a secret till release. like for SSBB, I would love a release date, but I would like them to keep some of the unlockable chars a secret, or maybe have some other cool features a suprise that u won't find out until u buy it, or when someone else blabs it to u. So I think nintendo should keep their current strategy BUT tweak it a lil to let out some of that basic info such as release dates, online features, and new Wii features.Psy236
exactly, keep the games suprises secret, but get the release date out there. And some new channels info, EVC was a surpirse but wasnt a very good one....
flowingluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flowingluc
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
Its a great strategie. A game comes out they give u time to beat it and then the rest is waiting and hype for the next game to come out. Like now I beat WarioWare and now im waiting for super paper mario. im sure after spm they will announce another game...etc.
flowingluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 flowingluc
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
Its a great strategie. A game comes out they give u time to beat it and then the rest is waiting and hype for the next game to come out. Like now I beat WarioWare and now im waiting for super paper mario. im sure after spm they will announce another game...etc.