Does anyone else think the DS was never pushed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

So, we are now nearing the end of the DS' lifespan. And due to its lacking in power, companies often brought retro style games to the system. However, the system never seems to have been pushed beyond an N64 level. In fact, the most powerful games running on it, were maybe a half step above PS1 graphics. Does anyone else think the system had some untapped power left in it that will go undiscovered? Or were the most powerful games really Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Mario 64?

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

So, we are now nearing the end of the DS' lifespan. And due to its lacking in power, companies often brought retro style games to the system. However, the system never seems to have been pushed beyond an N64 level. In fact, the most powerful games running on it, were maybe a half step above PS1 graphics. Does anyone else think the system had some untapped power left in it that will go undiscovered? Or were the most powerful games really Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Mario 64?

Nozizaki
That C.O.P. Recruit game looked good and metroid prime hunters.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

No. We saw some great looking games that were beyond N64 in ways, but the graphics suffered A LOT because of the resolution.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I think games like Dragon Quest IX and Tales of Innocence pushed it quite a bit

Sathnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sathnor
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

What about CoD?

BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32920 Posts

The lack of any sort of texture filtering was what really caused the 3D graphics to never be able to look very good.But some developers still did a fine job with what was there.The FFIV remake was particularly nice looking, thanks to a nice transfer of the JRPG graphic style from 2D to 3D.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
Chinatown Wars pushed the DS about as far as it could go.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Meh- lots of people, i'm sure, would disagree but I always felt that Lord of the Rings: Conquest made a brilliant push with the DS hardware- fully 3D rendered battlefields crafted with great detail and remarkable fidelity to it's console cousins' setpieces. Otherwise, Brothers in Arms DS was impressive, and I think if they had made another one around now, it would look even better.
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
Metroid Prime and a lot of Square-Enix games pushed the system tremendously I think.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

man people forgot about goldeneye and goldeneye rogue agent ridge racer ds apsphalt , super mario 64 ds mariokart ds lol man it was pushed you gotta find the games that pushed it thats all ,

sure they were not many but , i think thats because handhelds were always known for 2d ish visuals, over consoles,

even psp had its fair share of 2d games , and that had near ps2 visuals

so ya it kind of goes with what happens in the industry , they look at what sells the most and thats rpgs on handhelds ,

and msot rpgs are 2d

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I think Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword pushed it pretty far as well. And the Zelda games.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
I felt like Metroid Prime: Hunters looked pretty impressive. Definitely the best looking game in my DS collection.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

the DS was stronger than N64 in some areas but weaker in others. also you've gotta remember that the DS lacks an analogue sticks so many potential N64 ports never materialised.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

the DS was stronger than N64 in some areas but weaker in others. also you've gotta remember that the DS lacks an analogue sticks so many potential N64 ports never materialised.

CwlHeddwyn
Good point.