Does anyone else just want a Gameboy Advance 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theshonen8899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 theshonen8899
Member since 2006 • 592 Posts

When DS first came out I wondered, "Is that screen really necessary?" Fastforward six/seven years. The DS has some of my favorite games ever and I consider it a very important part of my gaming life. Do I still think the second/touch screen is useless? You bet I do!

So far the games I have played I mostly use the normal button controls (Pokemon, Pheonix Wright, blah). When they force me to use the stylus I moan, pull out the stylus, reorient myself on my chair, couch, bed, and think about how much nicer it would be if they just had a godamn analog stick. Often times if I can forgo the stylus and just use my thumbs, and it's actually quite nice. But generally the dual screen and stylus are just big letdowns.

That brings me to my main argument, why do console developers force these gimmicky controls on us. Sometimes it works, I'll admit. Nintendo Wii obviously worked most of the time. But with PSP2 and 3DS coming out, you can't help but feel terrified that you have to pay for these pointless controls that developers stuffed in there just because they thought climbing a vine would be cool with a back touch panel. No, it's not. It conflicts with the normal controls and ultimately pulls me out the game until I get off the vine, then tosses me back in. All this for what? Climbing a vine. Nothing much else it can do (wait, I forgot you can make hills and roll things). Pretty much the only new controls from PSP 2 I like are the right analog stick, gyroscope, and froint touch screen (oh hey R2 and L2 buttons, long time no see! Wait, you're not coming on the PSP2? Huh...).

Now that Nintendo has revealed the 3DS, I feel pretty cheated. I never cared about 3D, and I probably never will. Now included with my useless second screen and stylus, I get to pay premium for 3D, just to play console exclusive I know I'll want to pay. I'm hoping later on they realize "Wow, no one's buying this expensive piece of crap" and release a cheaper 2D version, but who knows, I'm willing to bet there are enough Nintendo fanboys who buy it, maybe I'll even buy it (damn you amazing launch lineup). It'll never happen but in the end, I just wish there was a Gameboy Advance 2 with dual analog sticks and a touchscreen, sporting my favorite Nintendo titles and the awesome "Gameboy" name that raised me as a child.

FORZA_GT_BOI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FORZA_GT_BOI
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts
Yeah exactly! That extra screen on the DS isn't needed and well 3D isn't that great to me either. I think Nintendo should of brought out also a Gameboy Advance 2 alongside the DS and have similar hardware as the PSP [and a better game library :)]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

So you don't want innovation in gaming?

You just want to play the same sort of games merely getting flashier as the years go by and never expanding past that in any meaningful way?

Sounds horrific to me.

Mitchell_1797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mitchell_1797
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

id prefer a portable console about as big as a 2 xboxs with a generator or sumthing so i could play games as good a quality as farcry 2 or something

novelgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 novelgamer
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

id prefer a portable console about as big as a 2 xboxs with a generator or sumthing so i could play games as good a quality as farcry 2 or something

Mitchell_1797
But that kinda the market to which the PSP caters. High power gaming on a handheld device? There are some great games though that make good use of the dual screens - Hatsworth for a start. But, I think for a lot of games the second screen on the DS can be unnecessary. Most games focus on a single screen design with the second screen used as a permanent menu or inventory. Having said that, though - the size of the screen and the resolution available means that pushing the inventory/health/menu whatever to a second screen frees up the main screen for action - cluttered interfaces on PSP was one of my pet hates. What will be interesting is the 3DS - it's not really feasibly to try and draw on a 3D display, so the balance will be how the 2d touch screen integrates with the non-interactive 3D display - and how the player copes with shifting eyes from one screen to the other.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I like having two screens. You can have the map on one screen with the action on another. Or you can have an inventory screen on the touch screen where you can poke around with your stylus instead of some clunky menu. Also, I can't imagine how a game like Big Bang Mini would work without two screens and a touch screen.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
In other words the OP wants the Sony answer to innovation, which is basically increasing the raw processing power without doing anything else even remotely interesting (or that hasn't already been done better by the competition). No thank you.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

In other words the OP wants the Sony answer to innovation, which is basically increasing the raw processing power without doing anything else even remotely interesting (or that hasn't already been done better by the competition). No thank you.dzimm

You forgot not making games for it.

But on topic if not for the touch screen the DS would have been a virtual boy.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I personally am fine with the touch screen. It is optional to use. Only developers decide how to make their software.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Mitchell_1797
well but that's not a "portable" console if it's 20 times the size of the home console.
Mitchell_1797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mitchell_1797
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

its portable if it can fit in your car

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I'm hoping later on they realize "Wow, no one's buying this expensive piece of crap"

theshonen8899

Fat chance of that happening, brother. This thing is going to sell like hotcakes.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

No I don't. I got into portable gaming mostly because of the ds. Never was in to portable gaming because the games were not in 3d. I like 2d games but the minute I played mario in 3d for the first time, that changed everything. I as amazed by it. And since I has a kid I really did not want to go back to 2d games. So I got the N64 and then the gamecube. Not worry about handhelds. My brother got a gbasp when it came. I liked it but not to the point of getting one. Then the ds was announced. Not allow did it have dual screens but it had 3d gaming. I bought it and now it is one of my favorite systems. Sure some developers like to use the touch screen for useless gimmickry but others really make good use of it. Some games I think really use it best are zelda games, the world ends with you, warioware diy, jump ultimate stars, and mario vs. donkey kong just to name a few. And with the 3ds things get a little more better. I know some people don't like 3d but I do. When I saw avator that was my first 3d movie. It made my eyes a little uncomfortable at first but it was good. Then I saw toy story 3 and knew 3d is not just a gimmick but a way to make the world you are looking at in that screen seem more real, even though it is not. The 3ds looks to take games to another level. If you want to play just a pure game machine now though just play the gba, but I like my dual screens and definitely would not go back to one screen (unless I am playing a console game or psp).

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I think in some games the two screens and/or touch screen are implemented poorly. But in the ones that are great, it really works and I couldn't imagine playing without the DS features.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I am going to invest in one of those thumb styli. I hate holding the DS with one hand, gives you cramps after long sessions. and TC, the touch screen is more intuitive for new users and casuals just like the ipad. Plus having a screen for menus and whatnot is nice. I feel where you're coming from though. All this new hype about button-less gaming irks me because I just want to sit, be lazy, and play for hours.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Mitchell_1797
sure, my desktop is portable, MY FREAKING BED is portable, all it takes is some effort and i can fit it into a car. you really need some lessons on the definition of "portable".
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

No, I don't want Nintendo to be everyone else

DS is the GBA 2, just by a different name

Dropping the stereotypical name "Game Boy" in the 21st Century was a great idea

Even if they hadn't called it DS (developers system) it still would've ended up being a GB with two screens.

Nothing will change that. I love the touch screen, I loved the DS design, and I look forward to seeing the 3DS for years to come

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dzimm
I thought "DS" stood for "Dual Screen". The logo is even representative of the dual screen setup.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I thought "DS" stood for "Dual Screen". The logo is even representative of the dual screen setup.dzimm

It has Dual meanings.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

[QUOTE="theshonen8899"]

I'm hoping later on they realize "Wow, no one's buying this expensive piece of crap"

Euaggelistes

Fat chance of that happening, brother. This thing is going to sell like hotcakes.

They even sold out all the preorders in Japan. The world is not far off either.

SUPA_GLUSTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SUPA_GLUSTEE
Member since 2008 • 958 Posts

[QUOTE="Mitchell_1797"]

BrunoBRS

sure, my desktop is portable, MY FREAKING BED is portable, all it takes is some effort and i can fit it into a car. you really need some lessons on the definition of "portable".

More like:

If you can bring it onto a public bus and out again without getting stopped

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

why you afraid of change bro?

embrace it.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts

no I want a 3DS gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!!

And in addition I want Metroid Prime on my 3DS.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZachMasta

with 3D effects :)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

with 3D effects :)

ZachMasta
a great one though. hunters wasnt terrible but it lacked compaed to MP1. but yes a new metroid prime adventure would be very nice :D.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

No, I am personally Glad nintendo isnt like Microsoft or sony where they keep the systems name and just add a number to it (not counting the N64, which was because its games were in 64 bit).

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZachMasta

no i want a gamecube port of metroid prime on 3ds!!! i think they should incorporate the controls from prime into other similar games for the 3DS. where you move samus and the camera with the left thumb stick, then hold R to strafe. itd work really well on the system as well as with the circle pad

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

I couldn't disagree more, I'm a huge fan of the touch screen. It's annoying in some games, but in other stuff like Nintendogs, Advance Wars (though admittedly I play a mix of touch screen and traditional on that game), Ninjatown, Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, The World Ends With You, Mario vs Donkey Kong and god knows how many others it plays really well.

Even for non-touch games, the 2nd screen is great for menu or map stuff, so personally I'd hate to lose it.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

If they didn't have the bottom screen they would be like everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I'm buying NGP, it's just Nintendo does things their way and it works.

gamedude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamedude2009
Member since 2009 • 4657 Posts

Yeah, 2 screens are good. I like the touch screen, and going back to one screen would just be lame.

KONNER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KONNER123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yeah but are you willing to pay a ton more just to not use a menu and have it in front of you.
keno570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 keno570
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts
Dude, you are not supposed to bump a thread that is 5 months old....
ozspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ozspark
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

OP has a point. You can have innovation in video games, but is it really going to enough use to justify its inclusion into the console? Touch screen is pointless, maybe good enough for the DS but should've been dropped for the 3DS

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
the touch screen has opened up control options that arent possible without 15 to 20 buttons which isnt great on a handheld as well as several unique control schemes not seen on a proper console. look at some of the ports from DS to XBLA, none of them play nearly as well.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I like the second screen. It's very useful for maps, inventory management. Touch controls are easier with some games than standard controls. I also can't imagine Big Bang Mini working without a touch screen (and or two screens).

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dzimm

Touch screen is pointless...

ozspark

Really not sure how you arrived at that conclussion.

JamTKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 JamTKD
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts
Careful of forcing your opinion into fact. Nintendo will never realize"nobody is buying this cheap piece of crap" because a lot of people are buying the 3DS and are loving it, and even more will by Christmas when a lot more games are out. Also, 2D does not equal cheaper. Vita, or psp2 as you say, is $250. sorry, but as sony found out the hard way with psp, very few people pay for graphics on a handheld.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The DS was the unofficial GBA 2. The sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be. Even so, Nintendo cannot possible release a GBA 2 right now. That would be the only way Nintendo could be kicked out of the handheld market.. by beating itself. :P
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I see where you are coming from, but I really enjoy having the second screen for inventory, unit control, etc. And in addition, I love the touch capabilities for when the use of a keyboard is necessary in a game because typing is much faster when you can actually just make contact with the letter key.

That being said, I am happy to have the second screen and touch capabilites despite the fact that, given the choice, I always choose button control over stylus control.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I feel the same as TC.

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Not needed doesn't mean it isn't nice. I like some games with touchscreen or 3d. I like the innovation.

You'r right though. A new Gameboy Advance or whatever with 2 analog sticks and a only 1 (HD?, or touch screen) screen would be nice. Maybe in the future.

As you can see with PS Vita, 1 screen and touch can work perfectly together.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Yeah but are you willing to pay a ton more just to not use a menu and have it in front of you.KONNER123
No need to bump an old thread.