Do you think Nintendo should start to create new franchises/games/mascots rather than reuse their old ones?

#1 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

Just thought I'd post on this board seeing as it doesn't seem to get a lot of love but has some great topics on it regardless.

Personally, I enjoy how Nintendo recycles a lot of their older franchises...and it's been that way for years. e.g. Zelda, Mario, Kirby etc.

But, I sometimes think it'd be good if they started to create more franchises and more of the "mascot" like characters. (I'm pretty sure Splatoon was the only thing we've had in years that was new from Nintendo. Was Arms from Nintendo also? I haven't heard anything about that game for a while.)

Either way, I haven't looked into it too much so maybe there's been a lot more variety from Nintendo lately but in terms of "the next big thing." I haven't really heard of it.

Keep in mind this is just an idea too. A lot of people enjoy the same stuff. But I think it'd just be great to at least see 2 completely new games. Platformers at that would be great. But I know if anything these days Nintendo has been focused more on multiplayer gaming. Obviously because of the Switch.

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

its not easy to develop mascots or icons. sony never could.

look at disney. mickey mouse is still the face of disney. Sure they have a lot more characters now but mickey is still the face.

No nintendo mascot will ever be bigger than mario. why try? disney couldnt do it.

there is olimar which is cool but wont ever come close to mario. same for shulk or a fire emblem character. just more characters but no nintendo franchise will ever surpass mario.

#3 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@KBFloYd: True. Mario is king.

#4 Posted by onesiphorus (2655 posts) -

Speaking of Mickey Mouse, he is now 90 years old and will celebrate his centennial in 2028. How many iconic mascots can be that old?

Even if Nintendo decides to create new franchises, how many of them will be successful and match those of Nintendo's older, but successful franchises?

#5 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@onesiphorus: I definitely don't want them to forget the classics. Just spice things up a bit. :)

#6 Edited by phbz (3952 posts) -

I think there's a prevailing fallacy that Nintendo just recicles stuff. I completely disagree, changing the skin of a character is something that a 12yo learning to mod can do easily. Changing a character in it self means little, there's plenty of developers that do just that. And game wise they have proven again and again that they can reinvent themselves and still be pushing the industry. Just because Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey are both 3d platformers featuring Mario it doesn't mean they are the "same game", not only did Nintendo made significant changes but they are absolutely above the competition. Same with Zelda BotW that even if a flawed game solved open world issues that developers that traditionally make then never got close to solve. In this case they picked up elements already used, mixed with their own ideas and just said "ok guys, this is how you do it, even running on hardware lagging one gen behind" (a very Nintendo thing I guess). Then you have Splatoon and Arms that did OK and are fresh franchises. And not only they are new to Nintendo but they are also not just coping any popular trend.

As for the mascots, they're not just something that you can throw money at. What makes them iconic is too chaotic to be replicated at will.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9132 posts) -

Nintendo has released new franchises. Last gen(Wii U) was pretty slow since the system wasn't worth investing too many resources into. We did get Splatoon out of it, though. The generation before that, we got Xenoblade and the Wii (insert subject here) series. The Gamecube introduced us to Pikmin and Battalion Wars. I'm sure there are things I'm missing here.

As @KBFloYd said, developing new mascots and icons is hard. Nintendo has created experimental titles that didn't evolve into franchises over the years. Take Geist and Disaster: Day of Crisis as two examples. They came, they went, and they didn't gel.

With the Switch doing miles better than the Wii U, I think Nintendo has enough wiggle room to experiment a good bit this gen. We already got Arms early in the system's life.

#8 Posted by robert_sparkes (2039 posts) -

I would love them to rekindle F-Zero but a new franchise could definitely spark the system even more on the wave they are on.

#9 Posted by Ovirew (8497 posts) -

I've made some blogs and thread posts in the past where I basically said....there are a ton of dormant Nintendo IPs that the company could bring back.

I even spent a bunch of time making that picture the other year, gathering up artwork of characters from long-abandoned series. (I first released the image without the answers, and tested people to see which ones they could figure out.) My point is that if Nintendo wanted to, they could take a fresh look at any of these games, notice what made it unique, and build a modern sequel with its own unique, established world and atmosphere.

The reason why most of these series' have just kind of fallen by the wayside? Lack of popularity and, more importantly, SALES. Mario sells. Zelda sells. Pokémon? Sells double. Animal Crossing and Metroid sell pretty decently. You'll keep seeing sequels to Yoshi and Kirby games. Donkey Kong will stick around in some form or another. That's because these are established franchises with a fairly wide demographic appeal. It's a miracle to me that Fire Emblem finally became a big focus for Nintendo, though I don't understand why they don't see the appeal of a lot of these other games.

So when you ask if Nintendo should create new IPs... Well, sure, if they want to. Maybe a fresh concept works better for a new sort of game. ...But, I'm sure they could do more with any one of the above games and add on some new gameplay features to boot. Why spend time trying to conjure up an idea at the drawing board, when you have these decades-old characters sitting in the attic that you could dust off and bring back into the limelight?

#10 Posted by Reznik00 (6 posts) -

I get what you're saying TC but you've made the same mistake most others with your concerns have, and that's simply this : you haven't been paying attention. Nintendo typically delivers more new IPs than any other developer/publisher every generation, but when you have these far lesser known characters going up against Mario and Zelda for instance, you simply get excited for what you know. Most people view Nintendo strictly as an 'exclusive only' platform and when they do that they ignore anything they don't recognize and then make similar observations.

Have you played any titles in the Pushmo series, Dillion's Rolling Western, Codename STEAM, Sushi Striker, Steel Diver, Chibi-Robo, ARMS, Splatoon, or Bayonetta? All fairly new ( and a very brief list) of new IPs that wouldn't have existed if not for Nintendo. How about Pikmin or Animal Crossing? Geist or Eternal Darkness? Baten Kaitos? Battalion Wars? Animal Crossing is finally accepted as a 'big' franchise now, Pikmin is still very niche, and the rest have faded into obscurity, but all of those were new IPs ( again, off a very small list) for the GameCube where yet again people were saying exactly what you're saying here. Does nobody remember the Wii series? Nintendogs and Brain Age? How about Pokemon?

The funny thing is, even if you take out all the new IPs most would consider spinoffs ( the Mario sports series, WarioWare, Super Smash Bros., Link's Crossbow training, etc) Nintendo still has an enormous catalog of new IPs every generation. You can't expect each and every one of them to become as big as a 30 year old franchise though without them standing that test of time. Many of the old IPs mentioned by another poster here are dormant mostly because they lacked consumer interest. They still exist though, and if you simply dive into a consoles library you might discover just how many you've missed.

#11 Edited by judaspete (2692 posts) -

@reznik00: Yeah, Nintendo makes new IPs, people just don't buy them. Still, I like when Nintendo does something unexpected (Eternal Darkness, Giest, Pandora's Tower, Splatoon, ARMS) so I would be happy to see them try something new more often.

#12 Edited by Reznik00 (6 posts) -

@judaspete: oh most definitely. I'd hate for them to rest on their laurels and stop delivering, but now that they don't have to keep a system on life support I imagine we'll start to see many new ideas come to fruition.

#13 Edited by Ovirew (8497 posts) -
@reznik00 said:

Have you played any titles in the Pushmo series, Dillion's Rolling Western, Codename STEAM, Sushi Striker, Steel Diver, Chibi-Robo, ARMS, Splatoon, or Bayonetta? All fairly new ( and a very brief list) of new IPs that wouldn't have existed if not for Nintendo. How about Pikmin or Animal Crossing? Geist or Eternal Darkness? Baten Kaitos? Battalion Wars? Animal Crossing is finally accepted as a 'big' franchise now, Pikmin is still very niche, and the rest have faded into obscurity, but all of those were new IPs ( again, off a very small list) for the GameCube where yet again people were saying exactly what you're saying here. Does nobody remember the Wii series? Nintendogs and Brain Age? How about Pokemon?

I think some of the problem, also, is that a lot of the games you've mentioned performed poorly, or else performed decently enough but still don't have the established appeal of a game like Zelda or Mario. Codename STEAM, Steel Diver, ARMS, Geist and I'm sure several others weren't big sellers. Let's face it, a lot of gamers won't play a game like Baten Kaitos even though it is pretty decent, because it is a bit too niche. And you can't really fault people for not getting all excited over Pushmo even though it was a big seller in digital. It's simply not Smash Bros.-level material.

Nowadays, people have these really high expectations and think every game should be the next GTA or Elder Scrolls or what have you. They think every game should play like that, and look down their nose at anything different. It's unfortunate, but no matter what a lot of games just won't appeal to the gaming masses. So in order for Nintendo to really have a runaway new IP, it has to be impressive in more ways than one.

#14 Edited by Reznik00 (6 posts) -

@Ovirew: I actually agree with you 100%. A lot of the efforts were of a smaller scale, or more niche an idea than the market was currently craving. It doesn't detract that they exist though, or that they're necessarily bad games either, but I do agree that a bigger push into an IP would most likely yield far different results.

#15 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

I don't care as long as they keep making awesome games.

#16 Posted by robert_sparkes (2039 posts) -

Nintendo will do whatever whatever best for Nintendo. They always find a way to bounce back. After the GameCube the Wii after the Wii u the switch.

#17 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@robert_sparkes said:

Nintendo will do whatever whatever best for Nintendo. They always find a way to bounce back. After the GameCube the Wii after the Wii u the switch.

After the 3DS, the 3DS with a price cut...

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18137 posts) -

@phbz said:

I think there's a prevailing fallacy that Nintendo just recicles stuff. I completely disagree, changing the skin of a character is something that a 12yo learning to mod can do easily. Changing a character in it self means little, there's plenty of developers that do just that. And game wise they have proven again and again that they can reinvent themselves and still be pushing the industry. Just because Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey are both 3d platformers featuring Mario it doesn't mean they are the "same game", not only did Nintendo made significant changes but they are absolutely above the competition. Same with Zelda BotW that even if a flawed game solved open world issues that developers that traditionally make then never got close to solve. In this case they picked up elements already used, mixed with their own ideas and just said "ok guys, this is how you do it, even running on hardware lagging one gen behind" (a very Nintendo thing I guess). Then you have Splatoon and Arms that did OK and are fresh franchises. And not only they are new to Nintendo but they are also not just coping any popular trend.

As for the mascots, they're not just something that you can throw money at. What makes them iconic is too chaotic to be replicated at will.

Yeah, well said.

#19 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@dzimm: Lol. That was perfect.

#20 Posted by xantufrog (10362 posts) -

I would say yes. But as others said, not at the cost of abandoning their classics. Just try some new things again. Same with Sega

#21 Posted by Ezekiel43 (931 posts) -

I imagine the problem is that it was much easier to develop new IPs and characters when the experimentation only costed them a few thousand dollars. NES games are far simpler than Switch games. Because games are so much more expensive and complicated now, there is more risk. They won't risk making a bunch of IPs when their old ones keep selling.

#22 Posted by xwingz900 (27 posts) -

I'd like to see Nintendo revive some old IP's instead. I NEED a new F-Zero game.

#23 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@xwingz900: Even though I only played GX on the Gamecube, another game really would be a nice addition to the Switch. It's the perfect console for it. I still think their isn't enough to play on the system but that's probably because I'm selective with what I want to buy. Plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still popular. Lol

#24 Posted by D3n41k1999 (2 posts) -

Are you an ardent Nintendo fan? You want to play the good old Mario, but you don't have a console?https://romsmode.com/roms/nintendo-64/mario-kart-64-v1-1-383292 Download the games to your computer and enjoy the games you played as a child.

#25 Posted by robert_sparkes (2039 posts) -

To be fair to Nintendo they kind of have with splatoon. It's difficult when mario and the usual suspects sell bucket loads.