Do you think Nintendo is sticking with cartridges from here on out?

#1 Edited by Speeny (1978 posts) -

I'm a digital only gamer now but I think it probably makes sense. Especially if their future consoles are going to be following the Switch.

#2 Posted by TJDMHEM (2164 posts) -

yes.

#3 Posted by captainzoli (13 posts) -

For the foreseeable future at least.

#4 Posted by Coolyfett (6100 posts) -

@speeny said:

I'm a digital only gamer now but I think it probably makes sense. Especially if their future consoles are going to be following the Switch.

Yes, Nintendo should stay in the handheld\tablet business. They excel at it. The rom\carts are the best option for software distribution.

#5 Posted by Ovirew (9125 posts) -

I really like cartridges. I think for as long as Nintendo is making game systems, they will use a cartridge format.

It's more expensive, but the games have no moving parts and can't be scratched. Discs have their definite advantages, but I think as time goes on and technology gets cheaper, we will even probably see other game companies consider alternative formats for physical games.

I also think a lot of people at Sony and Microsoft have to be looking at Nintendo and realizing... Wow, this company is really holding their own with less-powerful hardware, and maybe there are some advantages to not just making a console that is basically a gaming PC.

#6 Posted by Speeny (1978 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

I really like cartridges. I think for as long as Nintendo is making game systems, they will use a cartridge format.

It's more expensive, but the games have no moving parts and can't be scratched. Discs have their definite advantages, but I think as time goes on and technology gets cheaper, we will even probably see other game companies consider alternative formats for physical games.

I also think a lot of people at Sony and Microsoft have to be looking at Nintendo and realizing... Wow, this company is really holding their own with less-powerful hardware, and maybe there are some advantages to not just making a console that is basically a gaming PC.

Great points.

#7 Posted by Litchie (24346 posts) -

I hope so. They're tiny and cool.

#8 Posted by livingdeadman (372 posts) -

They're nice and just as portable as the Switch in a traveling case than your typical console library sitting on a shelf.