Do you think more games should allow you to add random people as friends?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
I brought this up, because it seems like this has been a pretty big gripe many gamers have had with the Wifi Connection.

So far, If I'm not mistaken only one non-EA-Nation Wii game has allowed you to do this. The feature is titled "Rivals List". This allows you to add random people you've played against to a list separate from the regular friends list (people you've registered as friends using friend codes)titled the "Rivals List". Your able to setup private matches where your friends and rivals (randoms friends) can play together, however, you are still unable to freely communicate with the rivals. The only exception would be pre-determined text messages when it comes to rivals.

So if a game allowed voice and text chat between friends, those on the rivals list would not be able to hear or see whats being said, with the exception of the predetermined messages.

This discussion also came up in regards to The Conduit. It is at the time unknown whether or not the game will utilize. However, thanks to ECC (IGN user), we do know the game will let you party up with friends (team up) and take on random people.

The only way things could possibly change is through a firmware update. I'm not even positive this could be done, but on the PS3 there is the option to totally restrict chat with other users in-game, which includes voice,text, and video. Maybe they could include this option in Parental controls, and require a pin (passcode) to take off the protection. This is probably the only hope for people not happy with the NWC.

What are your thoughts???

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I don't like it

Nintendo has a perfect system where you only have people you know as your "friends" to play with

All companies should stick to that.

valgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 valgear
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts

I don't like it

Nintendo has a perfect system where you only have people you know as your "friends" to play with

Jaysonguy

Yes, thats fine for kids aged 13 and under, but they should have made that an option in the parental settings, its not fair for others, especially older teens/adults to be forced to use this childish service. I just hope they change this with their upcoming system or it will make me think otherwise in purchasing it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I don't like it

valgear

Yes, thats fine for kids aged 13 and under, but they should have made that an option in the parental settings, its not fair for others, especially older teens/adults to be forced to use this childish service. I just hope they change this with their upcoming system or it will make me think otherwise in purchasing it.

If you're 13 and older you should be smart enough to add friends even easier

The system is a cakewalk the older you are

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
[QUOTE="valgear"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I don't like it

Jaysonguy

i agree with you jason, but i think it would be better if we had a universal friendcode for every single game. That way it would be both just playing with your friends, and very easy. Everybody wins
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
What games are you talking about doing this? Cause only for a few games then it will be a good idea.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GoDsSoN770
What do you mean only for a few games? On the other systems, even the PS2 and PSP, all online games have some sorta friends list, and also give you the option of adding people you've played against. Meanwhile on the Wii and DS, between the two, there are only 3 games total that allow you to add random people as friends.
boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts
I think that a new code for every game is a bit much, my idea would be to save a friend on the console would also save them as a friend for any online games. As for random friends I would like to see the ability to add random friends but only on games rated "M".
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="valgear"]

alexh_99

i agree with you jason, but i think it would be better if we had a universal friendcode for every single game. That way it would be both just playing with your friends, and very easy. Everybody wins

I've always had the idea of an update which allows your system to collectively add each game's friend code into a list of some kind which would then be registered to your Wii's Friend Code. Thus, once you become friends with someone and exchange your Wii Code, you gain each one of theirs including any which they may add in the future.

Friend codes aren't horrible, but I just don't think they are utilized completely. There are times when I would like to add random people to be my friends, which would always be a neat feature. Plus, there are always parental controls which parents can use if they want to protect their children.

Avatar image for MrStreetFighter
MrStreetFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrStreetFighter
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts
I honestly couldn't care less since whenever I play games on a PC or PS3 or any other online, I hardly ever use friend functions.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I'm tired of using ventrilo to talk to my friends while playing games like Mario Kart.

I don't really care about random people, but I think ALL online games should have a friend microphone talk feature.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts
I like the rivals idea. Overtime play the same people often satrt up a rivalry, but easily distinguish random adds from real friends.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
thanks to ECC (IGN user), we do know the game will let you party up with friends (team up) and take on random peopleGoDsSoN770
It would not be a good thing if you're on the team of random people taking on a team of friends with Wii Speak. I hope Wii Speak is disabled when this happens, otherwise it would hardly be fair for the random team and unfair matches aren't normally fun.
colecoavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 colecoavenger
Member since 2009 • 174 Posts
Nintendo definitely needs a more streamlined service. Having different codes for every game is tedious and ridiculous. And I should be able to add anyone I want as a friend with the click of a button. I realize Nintendo is trying to be family-friendly, and I respect that. But the answer is parental supervision, not measures on Nintendo's own part. I am a grown man and I don't need my hand held when I play games online. Parents need to start taking responsibility for what their children are exposed to.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
i think wii games should be allowed to add random friends because its much easier than searching for FC's, adding them only to find they are in a different time zone, lag, or the are really bad or too good for you. that way you can play with reasonably evenly skilled opponents all the time. FC's should be streamlined but separated from the wii one to stop unwanted mail etc. chances are they will never change this but you can always hope.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GoDsSoN770
Well the Rivals list feature has been used in only 3 games I know of so far, and 2 of those are DS games. Metroid Prime Hunters was the first Nintendo Wifi Connection game to use the rivals list. That game also featured voice and text chat, even though it only let you talk b4 games only (in the lobby), and not during actual gameplay. If you hosted a match, both friends and rivals could join, but only friends could see your text messages and hear you when using voice. So it has been done, but not nearly enough, and I'm really not sure why..
allgamer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 allgamer123
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
i agree nintendos wifi is very childish you cant add anyone in game, talk to your team or anything. psn and live allow you to send messeges in game have party chats and everything nintendo wifi you dont even get alerted in game if a friends on or if someone sent you a messege....
ratm247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 ratm247
Member since 2005 • 303 Posts

wii friends codes are ridiculous. the reason i play online is to have a wider range of opponents, of higher skill level. with the friend code i can only play with people i know, which defeats the purpose of online play. if i already know the person i dont need to play them online, i could just have them over to my house to play. the stupidist part is that every game has a friend code, so even with my established friends everytime we get a new game we have to call each other to get the friend code added for that game, because the message system for wii is useless fro sending friend codes.

CapedCod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 CapedCod
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts
I honestly wish there was more of a "lobby" function; scrap the friends idea, and just have random people who happen to be around. Like in Smash Bros. Brawl. I mean, the whole friends thing is just so Nintendo can cover their butt if and when a hacker bricks your game. I know they're all about trying to bring the world together, but...I'd rather just play with whoever's around than have some sort of bizarre relationship with people I don't know and probably will never meet.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GoDsSoN770

I honestly wish there was more of a "lobby" function; scrap the friends idea, and just have random people who happen to be around. Like in Smash Bros. Brawl. I mean, the whole friends thing is just so Nintendo can cover their butt if and when a hacker bricks your game. I know they're all about trying to bring the world together, but...I'd rather just play with whoever's around than have some sort of bizarre relationship with people I don't know and probably will never meet.CapedCod

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So your saying the Wifi Connection just needs lobbies basically like EA's server, but you don't care to communicate with anyone online you don't know, or care to meet people playing online?

To rat247... What happens if a friend moves to another state, or you have a friends in other countries, or even friends who live all the way across the city. Surely you can't invite these people over too often. So I don't see how that defeats the purpose of online play at all. You also speak as if there are no games that have leaderboards or the ability to play against random opponents.

I understand your gripe about entering friend codes for every game, but its really no different than what players use to have to do for the PC and PS2, where you have a separate friend list for each game, as well as a different username and password. You also had to have a unique name. So if someone took a name already, you'd to settle for something else. Thats not the case with the Nintendo Wifi Connection, and I kinda like that part. Entering 12 digits really shouldn't take anyone any longer than it does to type in a user name, which is about 10 seconds max. You also have to remember that Nintendo was in 3rd place last gen, and microsoft was already filthy rich, and sony was the big winner last gen. So while the PS3 also features free online, Sony probably had a lot more money to put into making their online, in which they also were try their best to rival xbox live.

Friend codes really aren't the problem people are having. I think its that people want more of an online community within the game like it is with the PS2,PS3,360,and PSP. If you could chat with random people, add them as friends, basically meet new people online, I don't think friends codes would get as much hate as they did, since people wouldn't have any problems meeting new people for that game, and having plenty of people to play with.

simplysweetx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 simplysweetx1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I think the friend codes are a little tedious. I think you should have the option to add random people if you want to, but you can only truly add someone if they accept your request. And if parents are uncomfortable with it, there should be a parental control setting. I don't know how effective that would be, but at least it's there.

It would be good if you could just like make a username instead of the friend code, so that way it's not like a bunch of random numbers you won't remember. That would make things a little easier. I mean I'm not an expert or anything, but I think Nintendo could still make it secure doing it that way.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GoDsSoN770
The rival feature does just what your talking about. After a game you have the option to check a persons name to add them as a rival, and if they do the same, you will be added to each others rival list. Back to what I was already saying. There are also downsides to having a usernames and password, which would also be required for each game, unless you have something as robust as EA's network infrastructure in which not many do. This also opens you up to possibly having your account hacked, or someone impersonating you. Also you don't have to worry about having your username taken, so you can pick any name you want even if someone is using it already.
simplysweetx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simplysweetx1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

That's true, I didn't think about that. I agree with what you're saying. I definitely wouldn't want to worry about someone hacking into my account, seeing that they could maybe get my credit card number or something like that, or just wreak havoc in general. I just wish the friend codes weren't as long though... although they probably need to be that long so that way they don't run into running out of codes for people.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it as long as there's an option in parental controls to turn it off. We don't want any lawsuits now do we?
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts
Personally i think FC's are pointless and take much more time just to add people. Not to mention adding random people you meet in friendlies should be allowed, every other system is able to do that and it's very convenient. We should all be able to add anyone by simply clicking on said X player and pressing add to friends list.