Do you agree with why Gamespot and IGN didn't give NSMBW a 9

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

It seemed to me after reading both reviews that they both refused to give a 2D non HD game a 9. They didn't really have many complants IGN didn't like no online and Gamespot the lack of classic controler for some reason. Do you think about this

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I haven't played the game yet, but the reasons are legit to me. A 2D game like that would do well with Classic Controller support, and co-op would be incredibly fun online. The lack of those features don't suddenly make the game lackluster or something less than amazing, but they're just a few missed opportunities. 9.x games don't miss those opportunities.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

I think for a side scroller being released on the verge of 2010 on a console, those are some pretty solid scores.

I haven't played it yet, so I can't actually say one way or the other it it deserves a 9. But look at other games that have gotten a 9 this year and tell me how those stack up to NSMB.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

It seemed to me after reading both reviews that they both refused to give a 2D non HD game a 9. They didn't really have many complants IGN didn't like no online and Gamespot the lack of classic controler for some reason. Do you think about this

Cruse34

The lack of ****c controler controls is valid but lack of online is not IMO.

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

i agree with gamespot's review, but not ign's review. Even though ign scored higher their review was a huge fanboy piece of crap >_>

bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts

I think both reviewers were just a little too nerdy for their own good, probably pissed off that they had to stop watching their Seaquest DSV Season sets to review a 2D sidescroller. When you call it "the best of the best" of Mario sidescrollers and give it an 8.9, you deserve to be laughed at and have your Star Wars DVDs and Batman comics taken away. It's a bias against a more traditional gaming genre. If I read one more review whining about no online, I think I'm gonna hurl. All these guys like to do is sit in the dark with Spock masks on and play their RPGs all night along with retread after retread of every FPS ever made. At least 2D Mario games are, what, 6 of a kind instead of a dime a dozen.

But, hey, at least both reviewers took a bit of time out of their busy schedules to post this video of themselves on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3njjD41f48

mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts

I agree for the most part. It wasn't ground-breakingly new but still delivered the fun factor.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Sure it's just a opinion after all and there really isn't much difference adding the extra .1-.5.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Gametrailers gave it an 8.9 as well.

carter15kd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 carter15kd5
Member since 2006 • 605 Posts

no i agree with both reviews

even though i would want online play now that i think about it there would always be that one person killing everyone and you would never beat a level

Sneaky_Gopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11 Sneaky_Gopher
Member since 2005 • 2440 Posts

No ones played the game. At least wait untill the game comes out, to question the reviews score.

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

I don't agree with either review.

IGN said itt was "a far better game than the DS version" but gave it a much lower score.

GS complained about classic controller support and frustration during multiplayer (because of poor players, not a fault of the game).

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

I've finished the game now and I definitely think the game deserves a 9. Mostly due to the fact that it's better than the DS NSMB in every way, and that holds an 89% average. Multiplayer is the clincher.. it really is lots of fun.

I can kinda understand the criticism for lack of online (whereas I didn't completely agree before) because random 4 player Coin Battles with a Mario Kart type point system and leaderboards would be quite addictive, a missed opportunity indeed. While it's not a huge deal, I do agree with noting lack of classic controller support because it would be very useful for those who don't have multiple Wiimotes.

HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

Not really. I don't think online would've been a fun experience for this type of game, and no classic controller seemed like a pretty small complaint to me, as long as the motion controls weren't that bad.

Does it really matter, though? We all know everybody and their mothers are going to get this game, so why bother discussing some random number countless Wii owners aren't ever going to see?:P

carter15kd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carter15kd5
Member since 2006 • 605 Posts

I've finished the game now and I definitely think the game deserves a 9. Mostly due to the fact that it's better than the DS NSMB in every way, and that holds an 89% average. Multiplayer is the clincher.. it really is lots of fun.

I can kinda understand the criticism for lack of online (whereas I didn't completely agree before) because random 4 player Coin Battles with a Mario Kart type point system and leaderboards would be quite addictive, a missed opportunity indeed. While it's not a huge deal, I do agree with noting lack of classic controller support because it would be very useful for those who don't have multiple Wiimotes.

Erebyssial

doesnt the classic controller hook up to the wiimote? if im correct then you would still need a extra wii mote if someone wanted to use it

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

Erebyssial

But what about the parts where you have to shake the Wiimote to pick stuff up and the parts where you use it to tilt platforms? I really think that the Wiimote is by far the best way to play the game and should be the only style of control available. The only problem I had with the Wiimote was sometimes accidentally hitting the A button.

I think the game deserved either a 9 or a 9.5. It really is a TON of fun, especially when you have multiple people playing. It is definitely at least the third best Mario platformer of all time, with only possibly Mario World and Mario Bros. 3 being better. And this is coming from someone who has played every single Mario platformer out there.

tominator1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tominator1
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

I personally agree with IGN,s critique of no online play, I would have liked that myself an it does seem like a lapse of judgement for Nintendo. I think that the gamespot review knocking lack of classic controller to be absolutely rediculus. The game uses motion control, even with the extra buttons on the calssic controller I can't think of a way to seamlessly integrate those functions into the classic controller, maybe use the sholder buttons to act like rotation for those lighting levels, I don't know. I think it would be rather crude by comparrison, in that case gamespot probably would have said something like "while the classic conterller use was appreciated, it was not nearly as intuitive as the wii remote and was not really a good addition." Or if Nintendo decided to not include motion control so that the classic controller could be used they almost certainly would have knocked them for not using the most distinctive feature of their console on such a high profile game.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Even the best game play can't change the fact that it has an extremely weak soundtrack for a Mario game and the visuals are poor compared to Wario Land, Klonoa, Muramasa, etc. . My goodness, even Lostwinds on WiiWare looks better than NSMBW.

And if you actually READ the IGN review, you'd see that the presentation drags the score.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Erebyssial

doesnt the classic controller hook up to the wiimote? if im correct then you would still need a extra wii mote if someone wanted to use it

carter15kd5

Oh right, yeah. I was thinking GC controler as well.

But what about the parts where you have to shake the Wiimote to pick stuff up and the parts where you use it to tilt platforms? I really think that the Wiimote is by far the best way to play the game and should be the only style of control available. The only problem I had with the Wiimote was sometimes accidentally hitting the A button.

metswonin69

I'm sure Nintendo could find a way around the motion controls since the classic controller has more easily accessible buttons, but yeah the tilting platforms could be awkward.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts
Can't agree or disagree until I play the game, but I haven't seen anything particular that doesn't make sense.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#21 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Overall it does look a much better game than the original but maybe its because of the console its on. I don't see why it need classic controller support.

bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bcroger2
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
I think the game was overrated, Theirs no online, 2 of the 4 characters look the exact same, no story, and the gameplay is way so similar to the DS version. Over all I would still give it a 7.5 because its fun. An not sure why some wii owners care so much about 0.1 its not going to affect the game.
young80s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 young80s
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts
I think the game was overrated, Theirs no online, 2 of the 4 characters look the exact same, no story, and the gameplay is way so similar to the DS version. Over all I would still give it a 7.5 because its fun. An not sure why some wii owners care so much about 0.1 its not going to affect the game. bcroger2
have you beaten the game, yet? How much have you played?
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

No. The Wii remote sideways is as classic as an NES controller. I don't see why one needs two analog sticks and 6 buttons that do nothing for that. Frustrating to play multiplayer if you take it seriously is just silly. I question anyone who takes their games as "SRS BZNZ!". No Online isn't a huge deal to me. I think it'd be worse if it DID have online.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Litchie

Overall it does look a much better game than the original but maybe its because of the console its on. I don't see why it need classic controller support.

chocolate1325

It doesn't, but it would be a nice option for those who own one and think it's more comfortable than holding a wiimote on its side.. Also, since it would be incredibly easy for Nintendo to make the classic controller work for this game, it's a bit weird that it doesn't support it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Litchie

No. The Wii remote sideways is as classic as an NES controller. I don't see why one needs two analog sticks and 6 buttons that do nothing for that. Frustrating to play multiplayer if you take it seriously is just silly. I question anyone who takes their games as "SRS BZNZ!". No Online isn't a huge deal to me. I think it'd be worse if it DID have online.

Pixel-Pirate

Some people may find it frustrating to not complete levels, or not collect everything because of stupid teammates. Not sure what's so weird about that.. It's a game where you need to co-work with people to get the most out of it, and if you play with people who don't want to do that, I believe it would be quite frustrating.

Ever played Left 4 Dead? Probably one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, due to teamwork being a must. Still love the game, though.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Doesn't matter. Although in the back of my mind I would think NSMB Wii would get a 9 because it's considered much better than the DS one which got a 9, at the end, it won't detract me from getting the game and enjoying it, OR the game outselling Modern Warfare 2 in the long run. The no option for using the classic controller does kind of irk me though. You'd think Nintendo would include this option since NSMB Wii is sort of like a special treat for core gamers, like Punch-Out.
yugiohfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yugiohfan99
Member since 2006 • 4298 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but I sort of agree. They should of added the classic controller, but this game does not need online. It would be ruined by the idiots.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="carter15kd5"]

Erebyssial

Oh right, yeah. I was thinking GC controler as well.

metswonin69

I'm sure Nintendo could find a way around the motion controls since the classic controller has more easily accessible buttons, but yeah the tilting platforms could be awkward.

Again I haven't played it, but the L and R triggers have different degrees of pressure, just like the GC controller. I'm not saying its ideal, but it may be possible that way.
bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bcroger2
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
[QUOTE="bcroger2"]I think the game was overrated, Theirs no online, 2 of the 4 characters look the exact same, no story, and the gameplay is way so similar to the DS version. Over all I would still give it a 7.5 because its fun. An not sure why some wii owners care so much about 0.1 its not going to affect the game. young80s
have you beaten the game, yet? How much have you played?

No, but i spent the night at my friends house (who's brother owns this game and works at gamestop) and i played a lot and from playing that much I would tell you that.
KzJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KzJoe
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Well 2d games are slowly going out of fashion, if it was to get 9 it would have had to of been something revolutionary ( IMO ) instead of a remake of a 10 or 20 year old game

betamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 betamon
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts
I don't think gamespot took into consideration that the classic controller doesn't have motion control built in, which this game requires for certain things.
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I don't...

That excuse where GS said that this game gets annoying with multiplayer is sort of biased...

Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2 are FAR more annoying with multiplayer.

But they didn't do anything to those games huh?

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

i havnt played it yet (obviously) but they're complaints all seemed reasonable.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

How is the lack of classic controller valid? It's a two buttone game. This isn't New Super Street Fighter Wii...

TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

I agree completely with high 8s. Why?

Missed potential.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

How is the lack of classic controller valid? It's a two buttone game. This isn't New Super Street Fighter Wii...

goblaa
I agree, why would you need extra buttons?
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Erebyssial

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Scythes777

I agree, why would you need extra buttons?

To replace motion gestures, eg. picking things up can be annoying (you have to hold 1 + shake the Wiimote) and simply pressing a button would be much more convenient.

Well 2d games are slowly going out of fashion, if it was to get 9 it would have had to of been something revolutionary ( IMO ) instead of a remake of a 10 or 20 year old game

KzJoe

Aren't 2D games coming back into fashion, not the opposite? And how is it a remake?

tpsy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tpsy0
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts

Should be a 9.0.

Lol and at that one dude. Its Mario. Not 10 or 20 years ago, but the reason youre playin' video games pretty much. AND it IS UPGRADED X 10.

It's so good.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
I haven't played the game yet, but the reasons are legit to me. A 2D game like that would do well with Classic Controller support, and co-op would be incredibly fun online. The lack of those features don't suddenly make the game lackluster or something less than amazing, but they're just a few missed opportunities. 9.x games don't miss those opportunities.MAILER_DAEMON
I think a game like this with online co-op would end ugly.
tpsy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tpsy0
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I haven't played the game yet, but the reasons are legit to me. A 2D game like that would do well with Classic Controller support, and co-op would be incredibly fun online. The lack of those features don't suddenly make the game lackluster or something less than amazing, but they're just a few missed opportunities. 9.x games don't miss those opportunities.psychobrew
I think a game like this with online co-op would end ugly.

i TOTALLY agree.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#42 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I don't see why a game deserves a 9 when it doesn't do anything that isn't expected? I think everyone knows what they're going to get with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. A 2D platformer that's challenging on it's own and has manic co-op for those interested. Otherwise, what is it that the game does to differentiate itself from, say Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

Look at Mario Galaxy, it is a wild reinvention of the series and while many might say, "Yeah, but you still run and jump!" It is the idea and the concept and how well all of that was executed that really propelled Galaxy to the highest levels of excellence. But Nintendo's goal with New Super Mario Bros Wii was to give us a traditional 2D platformer with 4 player support if anyone wanted to play together. I know what I'm getting when I pick it up, so I understand that it doesn't have to be one of the greatest games ever made or one of the best Mario games made. But it does sound fun and every review has communicated thus far that while it is fun, it technically isn't any different from Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 in any really wild way.

I'm not surprised at the 86 average it has, or the less than 9 scores at many places. But those scores are backed up with reviews that tell me this is a game I want to get and that's good enough for me.

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

It deserved it(its a good score) since they didnt put WiFi. No matter what the outcome was, Wifi would have been an excellent feature for this platformer.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
do the numbers really matter? they said the game's great and fun, the controls are good (minor complaints on the motion parts), and the multiplayer is good too (if you're not one of those boring "me hardcorez, me wantz to get to teh end, even if it means no freinds. GET OUTTA MAH WAY!" people >.>
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#45 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Haven't played the game but it seems NSMB Wii deserved the score. I never expected AAA from any reviewer so maybe that's why :P Reviews seem fair so far.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I haven't played the game yet, but the reasons are legit to me. A 2D game like that would do well with Classic Controller support, and co-op would be incredibly fun online. The lack of those features don't suddenly make the game lackluster or something less than amazing, but they're just a few missed opportunities. 9.x games don't miss those opportunities.MAILER_DAEMON
Why would it need to have CIassic controller support? And online I guess is a legit argument though considering Nintendo's online interface I don't think it would be as fun as playing locally.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Online play would had not been as fun, sure. And co-op online would had been a disaster. But, that's what firend codes are for. Trying to play co-op with random people and no voice chat would be terrible, but with friend codes and wii speak it would had worked fine.

Also, some more competitive modes would had worked both offline and online with random people. The vs mode from NSMB was super addictive and I'm sad to not see it in this game.

but yeah, CC support is not needed at all.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

why does everyone complain about games getting the scores they do? From what I have seen, the scores seem accurate. Nintendo played it too safe like they have been doing with the wii in general and lost some points because of it. High profile games that have a multiplayer coponent should be online. I am not the biggest fan of online myself either, but the game seems more catered to the multiplayer experience., so they should have done both local and online. People also forget that games are also scored based on the time period they came out and against what else is out as well. This game might be better than the DS version but, the DS version came out over 3 years ago. As time passes standards become higher. Even though this game might be better, it does not match up to the WOW factor that the DS version had when it first came out.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Every game does NOT have to be online, even in this day and age. Docking points for that plus not being in "hd" is just wrong in my opinion.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

GameSpot and IGN Reviews mean nothing for me. I'm still getting it.Saying that the lack c lassic controls and the missing online features are consis purely wrong. The wiimote sideways is very cool. It's confortable. The people who say otherwise don't play on the VC. I don't play online all the day toenjoy a game. The online thing is on my PC side.