Disappointed and furious with Gamestop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chunkyluver83
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
Today I go in to pick up Pokemon HeartGold, which I reserved February 19 and to my surprise the Gamestop employees did not hand me a Ho-oh figure. I asked for the figure and they said all the figures were gone. I was furious with this because what was the point of the reservation. Now I'm left without the figure and I ended up paying more for something that I was guarantee to get, by one of the employees prior to reserving the game, and did not receive it. If I would of known that I would not receive the figure I would of purchased Pokemon on Amazon for $35. Did anyone else have this issue?
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
This is a stretch, but if there's another GS location in your area, try calling them to see if they can furnish you with your pre-order item... you never know - they might have some kicking around...
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#3 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

Same thing with my GameStop. The figurines were limited. Only those who came early got theirs.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
I got a figurine without even pre-ordering. I just went in, grabbed a copy of SoulSilver off the shelf and wound up with a figurine in the bag.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
Today I go in to pick up Pokemon HeartGold, which I reserved February 19 and to my surprise the Gamestop employees did not hand me a Ho-oh figure. I asked for the figure and they said all the figures were gone. I was furious with this because what was the point of the reservation. Now I'm left without the figure and I ended up paying more for something that I was guarantee to get, by one of the employees prior to reserving the game, and did not receive it. If I would of known that I would not receive the figure I would of purchased Pokemon on Amazon for $35. Did anyone else have this issue?chunkyluver83
Paying more for what? The game retails for $34.99 .. and the Ho Oh was while supplies last. So what did you pay more for?
chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chunkyluver83
[QUOTE="chunkyluver83"]Today I go in to pick up Pokemon HeartGold, which I reserved February 19 and to my surprise the Gamestop employees did not hand me a Ho-oh figure. I asked for the figure and they said all the figures were gone. I was furious with this because what was the point of the reservation. Now I'm left without the figure and I ended up paying more for something that I was guarantee to get, by one of the employees prior to reserving the game, and did not receive it. If I would of known that I would not receive the figure I would of purchased Pokemon on Amazon for $35. Did anyone else have this issue?dotWithShoes
Paying more for what? The game retails for $34.99 .. and the Ho Oh was while supplies last. So what did you pay more for?

What I meant to say is that I paid the retail price of the game, which is $39.99 at Gamestop, in order to receive the figure. Whereas at Amazon, I could of bought the same thing as I did at Gamestop for $34.99. On Amazon the game alone just cost $35. Heres the link http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Software-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1268602536&sr=8-5
chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chunkyluver83
This is a stretch, but if there's another GS location in your area, try calling them to see if they can furnish you with your pre-order item... you never know - they might have some kicking around... 67gt500
That's what I'm going to do tomorrow because by this time most Gamestops are closed. The employees offered to call the stores around the area but I doubt it because with the attitude they treated me, they seemed like they didn't care.
truthiness1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 truthiness1
Member since 2009 • 336 Posts
I made sure to go right when they opened so I could get my figurine.When i saw the guy get it for me, they only had like one droor full of them (probaly about 50). I learned to do go early because when I pre ordered mw2 and they promised me a pre-order poster, i found myself in the exact position you are in now when i actually bought the game. I hear best buy is selling them for 5 bucks, so you might want to check that out if you really want it. It's pretty cool even though its really small.
truthiness1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 truthiness1
Member since 2009 • 336 Posts
best buy is selling the figurines individually***
chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chunkyluver83
I made sure to go right when they opened so I could get my figurine.When i saw the guy get it for me, they only had like one droor full of them (probaly about 50). I learned to do go early because when I pre ordered mw2 and they promised me a pre-order poster, i found myself in the exact position you are in now when i actually bought the game. I hear best buy is selling them for 5 bucks, so you might want to check that out if you really want it. It's pretty cool even though its really small.truthiness1
Yeah I seen pictures of the box, but haven't actually seen the figurine itself. I filed a complain with the store hopefully that helps and gets me a figure. Can you provide the link for the bestbuy figurines? I looked but did not managed to find it.
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
Most shop preorders are like this Whne Dantes Inferno came out, I asked at my local Gamestation how many Dante figures they had for the preorders.....15 preorders and 1 figure
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I had thought it was a guarantee with a preorder at Gamestop. When I preordered mine I was told I made it in time to receieve the figurine (after I asked about it) which could have meant there was a limited supply and now I was sure to get one. I went in and picked up my reserve this afternoon (one of each title) and got both figurines (again after asking). I have never had an issue with Gamestop so I am grateful for that after hearing some of the problems that others have had (like not even getting the game they preordered!).

Hope it works out for you, and if it helps, Frye's was selling the figurines seperately for five bucks a pop. If you have one of those around you I would suggest having a look.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Another reason why no one should shop there

I'm sorry about your situation, just remember next time to buy from a reputable retailer

chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chunkyluver83

I had thought it was a guarantee with a preorder at Gamestop. When I preordered mine I was told I made it in time to receieve the figurine (after I asked about it) which could have meant there was a limited supply and now I was sure to get one. I went in and picked up my reserve this afternoon (one of each title) and got both figurines (again after asking). I have never had an issue with Gamestop so I am grateful for that after hearing some of the problems that others have had (like not even getting the game they preordered!).

Hope it works out for you, and if it helps, Frye's was selling the figurines seperately for five bucks a pop. If you have one of those around you I would suggest having a look.

Euaggelistes
Yeah I went in and the employee looked for the figurine and then another employee commented that they have run out. I think they were just handing them out. I looked at Fry's and its the same deal with Gamestop, that you'll receive it when you preorder the game.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I do know that the Gamestop around here (NJ) are pretty strict and will only hand out bonus items based on pre-orders. The same went for the last Pokemon pre-order, i remember an employee saying to a customer that the bonus was for only people that pre-ordered. Just depends on the GS and the employees i guess.
get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

Yeah, I went there literally minutes after they opened and they only had 1 figure for HG and I pre-ordered SS. They said they will be getting more in Wednesday so call them back then. Hmmm. Dunno.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

gamestop sucks now. thats why i buy online.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#18 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you got shafted.
I stopped buying from stores a few years ago, due to that attitude.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes the employees know their stuff and will help you. But I cannot tell you how many times I had to recommend a family some games, when I wa sbrowsing the store. The clerks there did not know anything about games. Also, they weren't really eager to help out. Sad really, that they can work there.
Weird, but I planned to have another go at it today, perhaps I'll comment how it was like.

Other than that, I can only advise you to not buy their item if they did not fullfil their obligation.
If they give you grief about mandatory purchase, just note them that their end wasn't held.
And threaten to go up to customer services about this, they'll usually back off.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts
Today I go in to pick up Pokemon HeartGold, which I reserved February 19 and to my surprise the Gamestop employees did not hand me a Ho-oh figure. I asked for the figure and they said all the figures were gone. I was furious with this because what was the point of the reservation. Now I'm left without the figure and I ended up paying more for something that I was guarantee to get, by one of the employees prior to reserving the game, and did not receive it. If I would of known that I would not receive the figure I would of purchased Pokemon on Amazon for $35. Did anyone else have this issue?chunkyluver83
... you want mine? No seriously, I preordered HeartGold 'cause I didn't want the game to be sold out, but I couldn't really care less about the figurine. If you want it that much I can just send it to you - should be light enough to just stick in an envelope. Though, on the other hand sending your address to a stranger over the internet is kinda sketch. So your call. It's not in the box anymore though, so I hope you don't want it in mint condition or anything.
nergalman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 nergalman
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
wow bro, its a figurine. chill...
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
best buy is selling the figurines individually***truthiness1
That's illegal.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

Most shop preorders are like this Whne Dantes Inferno came out, I asked at my local Gamestation how many Dante figures they had for the preorders.....15 preorders and 1 figureWWIAB
That's a lie. When a company offer a preorder bonus they send one for each game. I think the managers or owners give them to people they know or take them for themself.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts
i just walked in and got my game.. never knew it came with a figurine...till they gave me1 lolz
Graboola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Graboola
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

[QUOTE="truthiness1"]best buy is selling the figurines individually***soulreaper-4
That's illegal.

Is it really? Mine also sold them individually. In fact, that's how you preorder the game there: you buy the figurine.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

wow bro, its a figurine. chill...nergalman

Agreed rofl. No disrespect TC, but does it really effect your gaming experience? I mean you'll look at it for a couple minutes or something, then never really do anything with it ever again (I'm assuming).

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#26 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

It's the principle of being baited that's frustrating, not so much the figurine itself.
If the shop promised an item they did not give out, it's called false advertisement and that's illegal.
And yes, so is selling promotional items.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

amazon has S&H which would make the game about $40

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

[QUOTE="WWIAB"]Most shop preorders are like this Whne Dantes Inferno came out, I asked at my local Gamestation how many Dante figures they had for the preorders.....15 preorders and 1 figuresoulreaper-4

That's a lie. When a company offer a preorder bonus they send one for each game. I think the managers or owners give them to people they know or take them for themself.

Well.. no. This really does happen. Usually to the stores that are not at the top in sales. Beyond that a lot of stuff comes in quantity, so for certain pre-order bonuses they will often get more than the pre-order. Ie the cards with the codes often come in bundles of 10 so if a store has 22 pre-orders they will get 30 cards. I've been standing right next to the manager (friend of mine) before and watched him open a box that contained pre-orders. The store at that point had like 12 pre-orders on a game and only got 3 of the actual incentive item. Of course I asked him if I could pick up mine right then as I knew 9 people were going to get shorted.

Here's another example, since they let you pre-order until the day before the item gets in store what do you think happens when lets say 10 people pre-order on the last day? The items have already been alloted and shipped. But now they have 10 more pre-orders, who gets them? The person that gets there first.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

It's kind of stupid to blame an entire corporation instead of an individual store. Some McDonald's are better than others, some Walmart's suck compared to others. For me, I love Gamestop, but it depends which one I go to. If I go to the one in the mall, it's kind of crappy service, used game selection isn't too great, employees are like 40 year old women who thinks everything is Mario. However, if I go to the one a few streets over, there are guys my age behind the counter who know their stuff, good music playing, great used game selection. Can have a good chat with the guys in there while you're buying something. And when I went to pick up my Final Fantasy XIII pre-order, they had plenty of the free books and posters left in stock, and they said it had been a busy day for the pre-orders.

So it all depends on the individual store, don't blame the corporation cause the one near you sucks.

chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chunkyluver83

amazon has S&H which would make the game about $40

dovberg
If you purchase over $35 its free shipping
chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chunkyluver83

It's the principle of being baited that's frustrating, not so much the figurine itself.
If the shop promised an item they did not give out, it's called false advertisement and that's illegal.
And yes, so is selling promotional items.

Daavpuke
Exactly thats why this is frustrating, and also since it is also a limited edition figurine.
chunkyluver83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chunkyluver83
[QUOTE="chunkyluver83"]Today I go in to pick up Pokemon HeartGold, which I reserved February 19 and to my surprise the Gamestop employees did not hand me a Ho-oh figure. I asked for the figure and they said all the figures were gone. I was furious with this because what was the point of the reservation. Now I'm left without the figure and I ended up paying more for something that I was guarantee to get, by one of the employees prior to reserving the game, and did not receive it. If I would of known that I would not receive the figure I would of purchased Pokemon on Amazon for $35. Did anyone else have this issue?PoindeJ
... you want mine? No seriously, I preordered HeartGold 'cause I didn't want the game to be sold out, but I couldn't really care less about the figurine. If you want it that much I can just send it to you - should be light enough to just stick in an envelope. Though, on the other hand sending your address to a stranger over the internet is kinda sketch. So your call. It's not in the box anymore though, so I hope you don't want it in mint condition or anything.

If it is not a hassle, I would not mind sending the info. I already sent you a PM.
ausgamer529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ausgamer529
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

good thing i got mine:lol: