Decided to jump ship to Wii-U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronaldmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ronaldmonster
Member since 2004 • 1109 Posts

So question. I have an unopened PS4 I'm going to exchange for a Wii-U because truthfully I just don't see much of it's library entertaining me at this point. I think I got it because I had tons of trade credit and just wanted it for it's popularity. But what I do see that I enjoy is Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Mario Cart, Mario Bros/3D world (Obviously), Windwaker HD (Which I'm getting in the bundle), Pikmin, etc and plenty of others including Luigi and Bayonetta 2. Long term for you all I want to ask a few questions;

1. How long does the screen controller last on average? Will I honestly be annoyed by it?

2. Is the online truly a hassle as everyone makes it out be? Purchasing, playing online etc. I mean truthfully I'm only worried about stuff mentioned in that thread where the guy killed his whole account by accident.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@ronaldmonster:

1st: Gamepad lasts about 3 hours on a full charge. Just leave it plugged it and its not a big deal. Or buy the Pro Controller and it lasts for 80 hours. I always just have my gamepad plugged in. Not a big deal.

2: Nope, Online is fine. Buying games digitally on the e-shop is pretty easy, making an account is easy, its pretty good. Not perfect but definitely very good.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Be sure to create a Club Nintendo account too. Nintendo is offering a free downloadable retail game when you register Mario Kart 8. Gotta love free games. Choices are Mario U, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and Wii Party U (assuming you are in the states). Don't forget Donkey Kong Country either!!

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@bdmckinley: Wow, the US has a disappointing selection. The UK has Nintendo Land, Mario Bros U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U, Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3 to choose from.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@spike6958 said:

@bdmckinley: Wow, the US has a disappointing selection. The UK has Nintendo Land, Mario Bros U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U, Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3 to choose from.

All of those games failed to sell, the third party games can be purchased for 19.99 in the US and the first party for 30

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@spike6958 said:

All of those games failed to sell, the third party games can be purchased for 19.99 in the US and the first party for 30

Where can you get Pikmin 3 for $30?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@ronaldmonster said:

2. Is the online truly a hassle as everyone makes it out be? Purchasing, playing online etc. I mean truthfully I'm only worried about stuff mentioned in that thread where the guy killed his whole account by accident.

No. People are generally worried about what happens to their digital purchases if their console explodes. That's the edgest of edge cases, and you're still able to get your digital purchases onto a new console; it just takes more work than it would on other services. You need to call Nintendo, which you'd be doing anyway if your console bites the dust.

I don't think people realize that screaming about the problem scares other people away from the console. Sure, it's a problem that should be fixed, but it's a problem that will affect very few people, and even then, it's simply a minor inconvenience.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#8  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The Gamepad's battery lasts for about three hours. However, you can play with it plugged when the battery runs low. It is not ideal, but it doesn't bother me much.

And the online is perfectly fine, though it hasn't really been tested when it comes to a very popular online game. Mario Kart 8 will be its first real challenge. As for buying games, it is pretty easy and Miiverse is great too.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

To add to the discussion about the GamePad battery life the GamePad is able to charge independently of the Wii-U as it comes with its own power adapter so if you have an outlet near your couch you are golden.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

welcome to the good ship lollipop :P

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts
@DarkGamer007 said:

To add to the discussion about the GamePad battery life the GamePad is able to charge independently of the Wii-U as it comes with its own power adapter so if you have an outlet near your couch you are golden.

It's 2014. Why should we tolerate wired controllers again?

The battery is dreadful but thankfully I bought an external battery for it that lasts twice as long. It's a bit more bulky and heavy but my play sessions are more refined.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@spike6958 said:

But if you're going to buy Mario Kart, free is free.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@thetravman said:

The battery is dreadful but thankfully I bought an external battery for it that lasts twice as long. It's a bit more bulky and heavy but my play sessions are more refined.

Nintendo sells a high capacity battery directly from their website. So, you could scrap that external battery sometime and get a less bulky solution. :)

Note: Their online store is currently down for maintenance last I checked.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I would keep the PS4 and get a Wii U. There is a decent amount of games on the system. I just got one myself about a couple weeks ago. I only own Donkey Kong so far.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

You again? I'm noticing a pattern about how you trade in the PS4 for a device. First it was a Xbone, now it's a Wii U. The motif is about trading a PS4 for something else. I'm starting to get the impression you bought machines and tried to sell them or maybe it's an elaborate troll every few months.

Here's a previous thread of yours where you wanted to trade a PS4 for an Xbone:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/honest-inquiry-should-i-trade-my-ps4-for-an-x1-31206555/

TITLE: "Honest inquiry, should I trade my PS4 for an X1?"

----

Good luck with your choice. I own a Wii U. I had fun. Also, I don't buy ANY DD titles on Wii U, I don't support Nintendo's Network DD games, as they tie your games to the hardware instead of an account.

Physical Wii U games? Good to go though.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Where can you get Pikmin 3 for $30?

new Super Mario Bros. U, Windwaker and Pikmin 3 all seem to be full (or damned close) price these days. Regardless of the price though getting one thrown in when you buy MK8 is a nice bonus and much better than a foolish key chain, stylus, etc..,

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

I own both so I'll tell my honest opinion. Currently, best between PS4 and Wii U is Wii U. I played almost every game out there on PS4 except Tomb Raider and Ghost which I already owned on PS3. Best exclusive games on PS4 right now are Killzone and Infamous. Infamous is a blast you are going to have tons of fun and jaw dropping moments if you play it in1080p and Killzone has a really engaging and fun multiplayer. Why I said Wii U is better because you have 2 Mario games and Mario 3D world is best game I played last year. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is by far the best game on Wii U. Pikmin 3 is indescribable and this game will stun you with visuals and game play. You'll love the ideas the developers put in the game. W101 is not only fun, but you will admire the game a lot and you'd want W101 2 after you complete it. You will also have unusual games like Scribblenauts that have strange ideas that I've enjoyed. Zelda is another exclusive that you don't want to pass on. You don't see those kind of games on other platforms. There are other exclusives I haven't mentioned like Monster Hunter, but I am not into that type of gamepIay. I also played non exclusives like Batman, AC 3, and Splinter Cell and they all played great. Some non exclusive played even better on Wii U than X360 or PS3 like Batman Arkham City. I can't talk about virtual games on Wii U market because there are too many hits and they range from NES, SNES, GBA, and also DS games coming soon.So, there you have it, Wii U is more playable now and for me I love Nintendo exclusives more than anything. Get Donkey Tropical Freeze,Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World before anything else.

Regards Nintendo Network, it's fine and I haven't had any sort of problem with it. The only thing that I dislike is that once you purchase a game whether from 3DS shop or Wii U shop, that game you buy won't be downloaded on other 3DS's or Wii U's even if you use the same account you used to purchase the game. Say you purchase a game on Wii U and your Wii U can no longer operate, you can't download that game you purchased on new Wii U even if you sign in with your original account. It sucks.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

There's supposed to be a battery upgrade, which they should just switch to anyways because yes it doesn't last long. The wii u is great I play it more then the ps4 or xbone on a regular basis beside the honeymoon phase which is over. Don't forget Zombi u, it's fun it's difficulty is similar to dark souls and is better then the review states. The ps4 or xbone won't have anything great till Xmas or after the wii u has games now

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@fgjnfgh said:

Say you purchase a game on Wii U and your Wii U can no longer operate, you can't download that game you purchased on new Wii U even if you sign in with your original account. It sucks.

You can download it if you call Nintendo. They control that stuff from their end, for some reason. They basically just flip a switch that associates your new console with your existing purchase history. It's dumb and inconvenient, but at least it's possible to get those games back.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

@JordanElek: didn't know that, thanks for sharing it.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

@JordanElek said:

@fgjnfgh said:

Say you purchase a game on Wii U and your Wii U can no longer operate, you can't download that game you purchased on new Wii U even if you sign in with your original account. It sucks.

You can download it if you call Nintendo. They control that stuff from their end, for some reason. They basically just flip a switch that associates your new console with your existing purchase history. It's dumb and inconvenient, but at least it's possible to get those games back.

Glad to see I'm not the only one running around trying to clear this up, lol...

You don't lose your downloads just because your console burns to ashes! It just takes a phone call and a few days of patience!

To the OP:

The Gamepad battery lasts 3.5 hours for most people on 3-brightness. However, I don't know a lot of Wii U owners that play more than 3.5 hours in a sitting... It also comes with a charging cradle, so every time you're done playing, you just plop it onto the cradle. Chances are, you'll rarely have to plug your Gamepad in, assuming you always put it back on the cradle when you're done.

In terms of the game library, anyone buying a Wii U now has a lot of games to catch up on, there's no doubt about it. By the time they do catch up, new titles have been released, and a new Wii U owner now will probably be pretty occupied through the rest of 2014, considering Smash Bros for Wii U releases at the end of the year!

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@SolidTy said:

You again? I'm noticing a pattern about how you trade in the PS4 for a device. first it was a Xbone, now it's a Wii U. I'm starting to get the impression you bought machines and tried to sell them or maybe it's an elaborate troll every few months.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/honest-inquiry-should-i-trade-my-ps4-for-an-x1-31206555/

----

Good luck with your choice. I own a Wii U. I had fun. Also, I don't buy ANY DD titles on Wii U, I don't support Nintendo's Network DD games, as they tie your games to the hardware instead of an account.

He's a cool guy though. He managed to play all PS4 exclusives without even opening the box of the PS4.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

@nethernova said:

@SolidTy said:

You again? I'm noticing a pattern about how you trade in the PS4 for a device. First it was a Xbone, now it's a Wii U. The motif is about trading a PS4 for something else. I'm starting to get the impression you bought machines and tried to sell them or maybe it's an elaborate troll every few months.

----

He's a cool guy though. He managed to play all PS4 exclusives without even opening the box of the PS4.

That is a cool guy. What would be an impossible feat for most, he can do with ease. The ability to play games without opening boxes.

For that we should thank him for humbling us with his presence and maybe he'll teach us how.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
@fgjnfgh said:

@JordanElek: didn't know that, thanks for sharing it.

I own two Wii U's and I had to choose which system I could DL games, which is no good. I can't even toggle between them as a primary system with ease. Nintendo should have learned after the Wii how do handle digital distribution and networks, but in the design of the Wii U they goofed again with regards to digital content. This digital process benefits Nintendo over the consumer.

In fact, my Nintendo Network ID isn't allowed to be on my other Wii U. It's also why I refuse to buy digital content on the Wii U until they get their act together. I will support their physical efforts though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@nethernova said:

@SolidTy said:

You again? I'm noticing a pattern about how you trade in the PS4 for a device. first it was a Xbone, now it's a Wii U. I'm starting to get the impression you bought machines and tried to sell them or maybe it's an elaborate troll every few months.

----

Jeez, TC is trully pathetic. What have fanboys come to... tsk tsk

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@nethernova said:

@SolidTy said:

----

Jeez, TC is trully pathetic. What have fanboys come to... tsk tsk

I know the guy personally. He's not a fanboy, just a very indecisive gamer. But yeah, keep assuming.

ronaldmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ronaldmonster

@SolidTy said:

@nethernova said:

@SolidTy said:

----

That is a cool guy. What would be an impossible feat for most, he can do with ease. The ability to play games without opening boxes.

For that we should thank him for humbling us with his presence and maybe he'll teach us how.

Wow, leave it to SolidTy & Vatusus to show they know

A- Know absolutely nothing about how I ended up with a sealed PS4 (See, my PS4 was freezing and I exchanged it. At that point I started a new job and with my schedule lord knows I couldn't truly appreciate a console like the PS4 or XB1 and even recently the Wii U, hence why I never updated this thread. The sealed PS4 sat there for almost 3 weeks collecting dust.) I still hold my opinion that it has some of the better exclusives by comparison to the other consoles. I thought about going back to the X1 but I just don't have time anymore.

B- To show you two have nothing better to do with your lives than lurk Gamespot to "troll bust" seriously, do something with yourselves instead of trying to make yourself look superior on a gaming forum. Freaking idiots. Especially you Vas, what fanboys have come too indeed when you're constantly stalking me.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy

@ronaldmonster said:

SolidTy said:

nethernova said:

SolidTy said:

----

Wow, leave it to SolidTy & Vatusus to show they know

A- Know absolutely nothing about how I ended up with a sealed PS4 (See, my PS4 was freezing and I exchanged it. At that point I started a new job and with my schedule lord knows I couldn't truly appreciate a console like the PS4 or XB1 and even recently the Wii U, hence why I never updated this thread. The sealed PS4 sat there for almost 3 weeks collecting dust.) I still hold my opinion that it has some of the better exclusives by comparison to the other consoles. I thought about going back to the X1 but I just don't have time anymore.

B- To show you two have nothing better to do with your lives than lurk Gamespot to "troll bust" seriously, do something with yourselves instead of trying to make yourself look superior on a gaming forum. Freaking idiots. Especially you Vas, what fanboys have come too indeed when you're constantly stalking me.

My original old post was from 13 days, 14 hours ago in this thread. I noticed the pattern of your posts (trading PS4s for every other console) half a month ago.

I didn't call you an idiot, but it would have been very easy after seeing the two threads. In fact, I'm thinking you are an idiot to take my post above and go for the obvious ad hominem by calling me an idiot. Poor showing old chap. I'm better at insults but I kept my post clear of any name calling. I simply noticed a pattern and theme with your posts. My point (observation of you trading in various PS4s for Wii Us and Xbones pattern, anything but a PS4) was made half a month ago and the observation of your fanboy-like, troll, inconsistent behavior still stands.

I also took the time to I answer your OP about the Wii U possible purchase, just in case there was some strange sincerity to your frequently odd posts.

"Good luck with your choice. I own a Wii U. I had fun. Also, I don't buy ANY DD titles on Wii U, I don't support Nintendo's Network DD games, as they tie your games to the hardware instead of an account.

Physical Wii U games? Good to go though."

----

It seems all I had waiting was you calling me and other fellows *ahem* a "freaking idiot". That is a very poor showing old bean, but the joke is on you and this two-three week old thread. You just went from odd possible troll to butt-hurt fanboy troll on red alert. A simple observation with no name calling resulted in an emotional outburst using phrases like "fanboy" and "idiots". I just got back from the gym, but I do appreciate the humor you've provided.

If you go through my posts in this thread, think about how much time has passed since you created this thread (18 days, 21 hours ago), consider the fact the thread seemed abandoned up until today. I was fair with you but your anger was not fair to me. I understand others called you names, but I refrained from that and just made light of the situation in your very long absence. People don't come here 24/7, I understand, but the odd behavior comes up with dozens of trolls a day on Gamespot, so it's hard to know who's for real and who's just making threads and wasting time. To be safe, I usually try to answer the OP even if I'm suspicious of their strange behavior. I did so in this situation as well. Sometimes you luck upon what seems to be a possible true-blue strange situation but usually it's trolls. In any event, I covered both angles rather maturely all things considered.

ronaldmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ronaldmonster

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SolidTy

I knew with enough work you'd out yourself as the troll most of us figured you to be, lol...which is what this thread's premise always was.

Case closed. Thank you for playing.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah the thread creator seems to be just trolling to get a reaction out of ps4 gamers.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@Jaysonguy: What does your opinion about whether those games are commercial successes or not have anything to do with what the TC is asking?

Apply the energy you use for trolling for good Jaysonguy

ronaldmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ronaldmonster

@SolidTy: Virgin Alert.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@thetravman said:
@DarkGamer007 said:

Some people prefer them--isn't there less lag? I know every person that uses a fightstick uses a wired one.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@ronaldmonster: scraping thebottom of the barrel are we. Between the obnoxious replies of others and lucas giving you support I digured I would give you a pass and answer the question, but the virgin remark definitley places you at the lower end of the internet spectrum.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidTy

@ronaldmonster: Weak son, weak. lol.

You've certainly outed your inner troll, haven't you? Happy posting! :)

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#37 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Well, this thread certainly isn't going anywhere. So I will close it.