This topic is locked from further discussion.

ninjasRuLe711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ninjasRuLe711
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts

I keep hearin stuff about dead pixels on a DS, what exactly is it and how is it caused?

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
If you turn your DS on and look at the screen really close, you will notice the screen is actually made up of alot of little squares all sitting beside each other. These little squares (pixels) all have their own little part of the whole picture to show. When somebody says it has a dead pixel, they mean one of those little squares isn't working and it just sits there black all day as you play. It never displays what it is suppose to display.
Zero_X5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Zero_X5213
Member since 2005 • 481 Posts

He's correct. Although it oes not have to be black. i've had one since i got a lite and it's a dead red pixel. 

some people can't stand them and some can't.

I cant and wish i knew how to get rid ot it. 

SkateLakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SkateLakai
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

He's correct. Although it oes not have to be black. i've had one since i got a lite and it's a dead red pixel. 

some people can't stand them and some can't.

I cant and wish i knew how to get rid ot it. 

Zero_X5213

ME too, i returned it and they sent it back with the same problem

Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
If you turn your DS on and look at the screen really close, you will notice the screen is actually made up of alot of little squares all sitting beside each other. These little squares (pixels) all have their own little part of the whole picture to show. When somebody says it has a dead pixel, they mean one of those little squares isn't working and it just sits there black all day as you play. It never displays what it is suppose to display.l-_-l
Mine is blue.
saturos_4_ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 saturos_4_ever
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts
if your pixel is red/blue or whatever, but not black, then it is not dead, it just broken. dead mens something is majorly wrong, eg no power, broken cicuit. If youts is just always blue or red, or changes but is not the right color (like mine shows blue when its meant to show red etc) then its just a signal or minor fault
PharaohsVizier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 PharaohsVizier
Member since 2004 • 889 Posts

Ummm... you all have the wrong terms.  A stuck pixel is one that displays a color, the wrong color.  A dead pixel is one that won't even turn on, this is different from black...

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
is there a way to get rid of this?
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
if your pixel is red/blue or whatever, but not black, then it is not dead, it just broken. dead mens something is majorly wrong, eg no power, broken cicuit. If youts is just always blue or red, or changes but is not the right color (like mine shows blue when its meant to show red etc) then its just a signal or minor faultsaturos_4_ever
I see! Perhaps that is why it does not bother me much, because it isn't black.
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
i have one black in the corner but its not even noticable and i were glasses.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 l-_-l
i have one black in the corner but its not even noticable and i were glasses.merch
I don't think mine would have bothered me so much either had it not been almost in the center of the screen.
rbur16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rbur16
Member since 2005 • 295 Posts
i got one in the top left. its white and not that noticeable when playing games. i read something online about how to fix them. just google it.
Snake_Vapour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Snake_Vapour
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
I have a purple one on my GBSP and i had no clue what is was. It's too late now, but can't you return the gameboy because of the dead pixel?
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

is there a way to get rid of this?xtn702

There is a fix that may or may not work, but it's not worth the trouble to try.  First off, allow me to make a note of the basics on LCD's.  You have to think of them on an X/Y grid.  The power to turn on each row is run through a series of resistors on each row for both X and Y axis.  Sometimes the resistor can have a voltage issue and that cause an errant (as in stuck) pixel or a dead one.  If you trace the proper row to it's parent resistor then you can try to replace it.  This may solve the problem.  Then again, if the display it'self had a spec of dust on it, imperfection in the glass substrate, or any numbr of other issues at the time the liquid crystal compound was layed out then there is nothing you can do about it.  In modern LCD's the resistors are called "surface mount" resistors and are very hard to remove without causing heat damage to other componets and getting a new one in place is even worse.  There are a number of methods, but one has to have a good deal of experience in dealing with surface mounted circuits.  You cant just grab any old solder iron and swap them out.  So the best answer to your question is that there is no practical way to repair a dead or stuck pixel on an LCD. 

especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts

thats alota text...

anyways. i've been blessed with a DS Lite without any dead pixels. I keep thinking i'm getting a dead pixel and then realizing its just some dust. 

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

Dead pixels are black. Frozen pixels show colors. 

Frozen pixels can be repaired if you're really lucky. You can download homebrew software that makes the screen loop different colors on the screen and that may unfreeze the pixel(s).

That kind of software exists on PC too...

LisaLovesSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LisaLovesSonic
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
Dead/Broken whatever, Its not working right :roll: But Yeah I have one in the Lower left hand of the top Screen, its kind  of annoying at times,I wish i could just Turn off the screen and when  I turn it on its all better :x
Korrgan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Korrgan-
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
I had this when I first got my DS Lite. I just took it back to the store and exchanged it for another without a dead/broken pixel.
jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
i have one black dead pixel. it only shows in the start screen and in MKDS for some reason. in other games it doesn't show. i don't get bothered by it, its in the top left corner of the screen. :P
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 l-_-l

[QUOTE="xtn702"]is there a way to get rid of this?kodai

There is a fix that may or may not work, but it's not worth the trouble to try. First off, allow me to make a note of the basics on LCD's. You have to think of them on an X/Y grid. The power to turn on each row is run through a series of resistors on each row for both X and Y axis. Sometimes the resistor can have a voltage issue and that cause an errant (as in stuck) pixel or a dead one. If you trace the proper row to it's parent resistor then you can try to replace it. This may solve the problem. Then again, if the display it'self had a spec of dust on it, imperfection in the glass substrate, or any numbr of other issues at the time the liquid crystal compound was layed out then there is nothing you can do about it. In modern LCD's the resistors are called "surface mount" resistors and are very hard to remove without causing heat damage to other componets and getting a new one in place is even worse. There are a number of methods, but one has to have a good deal of experience in dealing with surface mounted circuits. You cant just grab any old solder iron and swap them out. So the best answer to your question is that there is no practical way to repair a dead or stuck pixel on an LCD.

Wall of text, wall of text.........................Runs away. 

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 l-_-l
i have one black dead pixel. it only shows in the start screen and in MKDS for some reason. in other games it doesn't show. i don't get bothered by it, its in the top left corner of the screen. :Pjacob33301
You don't have a dead pixel then. A dead pixel NEVER works and ALWAYS shows (not just during the start screen).
jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts

[QUOTE="jacob33301"]i have one black dead pixel. it only shows in the start screen and in MKDS for some reason. in other games it doesn't show. i don't get bothered by it, its in the top left corner of the screen. :Pl-_-l
You don't have a dead pixel then. A dead pixel NEVER works and ALWAYS shows (not just during the start screen).

so its a retarded pixel? 

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 l-_-l

[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="jacob33301"]i have one black dead pixel. it only shows in the start screen and in MKDS for some reason. in other games it doesn't show. i don't get bothered by it, its in the top left corner of the screen. :Pjacob33301

so its a retarded pixel?

lol yes. Thats pretty funny.