Could you suggest to a female player some great games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mirror7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mirror7
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum! I am female and 30 years old...i have always loved video games when i was a kid, i had a Game Boy, but after because of school, work etc. i did not really follow the gaming world. Recently i have received from a friend a Wii console, because he was getting the new one (Wii U). And i would like to ask you if you could suggest me some great games that a female user would also enjoy. I do not like shooting games. I have Epic Mickey for the Wii, which i do not find too good, it is a bit boring. And i also have Rayman Origins, which is fun. I am intersted in great, exciting games :) Thank you for your suggestions!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Whatever looks interesting to you

Deciding what games to play because you have a penis or a vagina is the wrong way to look at it all.

If you're unsure where to start go to a site like metacritic and see what the top games are for the platform you want to play on and then look at reviews. Once you get the hang of it you can start looking into games that interest you but may not have received high marks.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Not into first person shooters or any fighting games. I recommend Super Paper Mario for the Wii. Animal Crossing it more of an experience than a game, but much fun. Both are my favorites.

Super Mario All Stars has Super Mario, Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3.  You may also like Super Mario Bros. Wii which is new to the Wii.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I don't know exactly where to point you, as everyone's tastes are different. My fiancee enjoys Mortal Kombat, but can't get into Mario. Some women are the other way around(gender is pretty irrelevant). What genre's do you like? Are there any franchises that you typically enjoy(such as Zelda)? It would be easier to recommend games if we know what you enjoy playing.

Mirror7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mirror7
Thank you for all your replies! I will also check metacritic, thx for the tip! ;) This Super Paper Mario game looks nice, i will consider it! I played back then on Game Boy Super Mario Land and Kirby i liked those, so i guess i would like this as well. Well I do like platform games and games where i would have to solve some puzzle maybe. I am not sure about Zelda, i mean i heard that it is really great game, but is it similar to Fable? I tried it once, and did not like too much.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
My wife likes games like Guitar Hero, Just Dance, Wii Party, New Super Mario Bros. and Kirby, so you may try those, but honestly everyone has a lot of different tastes, hard to generalize just by you being female :P
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I find recommending games difficult as a whole, not knowing what a person is into beforehand, but beyond that, I don't see much of a difference when it comes to male/female players.

That said, calway55's suggestion of Animal Crossing is one I couldn't agree with more. I've had friends and relatives, both male and female, that have enjoyed the series throughout the years, and it's a game that you can play and enjoy at your own pace and gaming mood. The likes of Mario, Kirby, and Mario Kart are also pretty easy to recommend to most new Wii owners, regardless of gender or skill level.

Based on your individual tastes and what you're willing to invest in, there are also lesser-mentioned games that might be worth a look. Fortune Street, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Trauma Team, WarioWare: Smooth Moves... those are a few games that I like to mention when it comes to really good under-the-radar titles, and I think they all have qualities any gender can appreciate. At the end of the day, though, it always come down to what it is you like as an individual and trusting your instincts when it comes to which game(s) you'll enjoy.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Basically any game with Mario is fun for anyone, regardless of gender or age, so give those games a try (Especially the Mario Galaxy games). I would also HIGHLY suggest you give The Legend of Zelda games a try, as they are incredibly good and I know plenty of girls that like that series as well as guys.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Try Sonic 4 Episode I, it is on the wiiware shop.

A game I can easily recommend is Mario Kart Wii.

p.s. You sound like you prefer sidescrolling games. If nothing else, it will be easier for you to jump right in into them since that's what you'd be more used to considering you played on Game Boy, etc.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 final_lap

Do not check metacritic, it is just that evil equivalent of gamerankings. Use gamerankings.com instead.

This site may also help:

http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-wii-games-33-p2.html

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Games I think you would like...

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Metroid Prime 3

Donkey Kong Country Returns 

Okami

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Super Paper Mario

and Sonic Colors

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
monster hunter tri ultimate...
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
New Super Mario Brothers Wii Animal Crossing The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess are some games my sister my loves! (also 30, also a gamer when younger, also getting back into games with the Wii :))
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Jeez, where to begin? You could start by downloading the Zelda games from the Virtual console (I reccomend A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask the most).  If you like RPGs, Xenoblade is one of the best ever.  The No More Heroes games are good if you're in the market for something different.  Silent Hill Shattered Memories is fantastic, not quite horror, mroe jsut supernaturally themed adventure.

There are a lot of good games available on Wii.  Also, how does you being female make any difference?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 turtlethetaffer

Thank you for all your replies! I will also check metacritic, thx for the tip! ;) This Super Paper Mario game looks nice, i will consider it! I played back then on Game Boy Super Mario Land and Kirby i liked those, so i guess i would like this as well. Well I do like platform games and games where i would have to solve some puzzle maybe. I am not sure about Zelda, i mean i heard that it is really great game, but is it similar to Fable? I tried it once, and did not like too much. Mirror7

Zelda is nothing like Fable. It's an action adventure game where you solve puzzles and explore the overworld.  Fable is like a wannabe action RPG while Zelda is a truly amazing action adventure series.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Jeez, where to begin? You could start by downloading the Zelda games from the Virtual console (I reccomend A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask the most).  If you like RPGs, Xenoblade is one of the best ever.  The No More Heroes games are good if you're in the market for something different.  Silent Hill Shattered Memories is fantastic, not quite horror, mroe jsut supernaturally themed adventure.

There are a lot of good games available on Wii.  Also, how does you being female make any difference?

turtlethetaffer
Girls sometimes like less violent, more peaceful games. (not being sexist, just judging based on my sister who hates shooters and loves platformers/city builders etc)
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

heres a list of top games. work your way down

http://www.ign.com/games/reviews/wii-u?sortBy=score&sortOrder=desc

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 final_lap

turtlethetaffer

Seeing as she did not like Epic Mickey or Fable, what makes you think she will like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

As for why she pointed out she is female, that might be why, maybe she just wants suggestions to take into account what she might like instead of what everyone else likes or is "supposed" to like.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Thank you for all your replies! I will also check metacritic, thx for the tip! ;) This Super Paper Mario game looks nice, i will consider it! I played back then on Game Boy Super Mario Land and Kirby i liked those, so i guess i would like this as well. Well I do like platform games and games where i would have to solve some puzzle maybe. I am not sure about Zelda, i mean i heard that it is really great game, but is it similar to Fable? I tried it once, and did not like too much. Mirror7

Donkey Kong Country Returns. Super Mario Galaxy/2 No More Heroes, Xenoblade Chronicles (RPG), Kirby's Adventure, Sonic Colors and Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Mario Kart. I threw in a few OFF genre's/games you may like on Wii.

:cool:

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

final_lap

Seeing as she did not like Epic Mickey or Fable, what makes you think she will like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

As for why she pointed out she is female, that might be why, maybe she just wants suggestions to take into account what she might like instead of what everyone else likes or is "supposed" to like.

Because Epic Mickey and Fable are very different from Zelda? They might have some Zelda inspiration, but I've seen both games and they are hardly comparable to one another.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 final_lap

There isn't any need for anyone to buy Majora's Mask unless they've played and finished Ocarina of Time. So even if someone got Ocarina of Time and had Wii points left over, they could get a game in a different series/genre to cover their bases.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 turtlethetaffer

There isn't any need for anyone to buy Majora's Mask unless they've played and finished Ocarina of Time. So even if someone got Ocarina of Time and had Wii points left over, they could get a game in a different series/genre to cover their bases.

final_lap

Lol. Clearly someone hasn't played the greatest game ever made. It's superior to Ocarina in every way but music IMO. Even then, the music is still incredible.

Not only that but it's a loose sequel. The only reason you'd need to play Ocarina beforehand is to know that Navi left and that's why Link went to Termina. Aside from that it's almost entirely stand alone.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 final_lap

Lol. Clearly someone hasn't played the greatest game ever made. It's superior to Ocarina in every way but music IMO. Even then, the music is still incredible.

Same logic applies. If you really insist that MM wipes the floor with Ocarina then it would have made sense to simply recommend MM. Even if someone did get both, it's not like they can play them at the same time. There's a lack of logic going on here.

Not only that but it's a loose sequel. The only reason you'd need to play Ocarina beforehand is to know that Navi left and that's why Link went to Termina. Aside from that it's almost entirely stand alone.

Kinda missing the point there. Majora's Mask is OoT with a time limit. It's arguably the more demanding of the two titles so it's only logical to start with Ocarina of Time first, even excluding all other factors such as release date (OoT came first) and story (OoT comes first).

Mirror7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mirror7
Thank you again for your suggestions of games...wow there are plenty that sound so great! I have not decided yet which one to buy and try out, but once i did i will write here my review! :) So hard to choose :)
Mirror7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mirror7
[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

locopatho
Girls sometimes like less violent, more peaceful games. (not being sexist, just judging based on my sister who hates shooters and loves platformers/city builders etc)

Yeah, that is true :) And though this was not mentioned yet, how is the game Pikmin? I found that here where i live for a resonable price... Pikmin 1. I read it is a strategic game...is it fun? :)
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 final_lap

Pikmin did not hook me back when I played it on Gamecube, but I can say it is a very popular game.

http://www.unikgamer.com/games/pikmin-567.html

^There are more opinions on the bottom of that page if you're interested.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 turtlethetaffer

Lol. Clearly someone hasn't played the greatest game ever made. It's superior to Ocarina in every way but music IMO. Even then, the music is still incredible.final_lap

Same logic applies. If you really insist that MM wipes the floor with Ocarina then it would have made sense to simply recommend MM. Even if someone did get both, it's not like they can play them at the same time. There's a lack of logic going on here.

Kinda missing the point there. Majora's Mask is OoT with a time limit. It's arguably the more demanding of the two titles so it's only logical to start with Ocarina of Time first, even excluding all other factors such as release date (OoT came first) and story (OoT comes first).

Well of course.  But the fact is that the game can still be enjoyed without playing OoT... It is, essentially a standaone title. Of course, the best thing to do would be to play them both since they're both excellent but if I had to reccomend only one it'd be OoT.  That's my point here.

Also, MM is more tha just "Ocarina with a time limit."  There are several gameplay factors that make it pretty radically different from OoT, the most major one being the transformation masks.

Saying that MM is jsut OoT with a time limit is like saying A Link to the Past is just the original game with a story. Sure they have loads of things in common, but enough differences so that you can definitely tell the two apart.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 final_lap

Of course, the best thing to do would be to play them both since they're both excellent but if I had to reccomend only one it'd be OoT.  That's my point here.

If someone plays OoT and likes it then they are automatically going to try other Zelda games. So imo theoretically there's no need to suggest more than one. Even you just stated that it's better to go with OoT. This is not about bashing MM.

Also, MM is more tha just "Ocarina with a time limit."  There are several gameplay factors that make it pretty radically different from OoT, the most major one being the transformation masks.

I merely picked one difference that was most relevant to the thread, which I figured was the time limit. The object of the discussion imo was "which Zelda should someone new to 3D Zeldas start with?". This means that all differences between the games should be looked at primarily in terms of whether that makes them the ideal game to start with.

You mention the transformation masks.. putting aside whether that makes MM better or even different from OoT -- Does that make MM more ideal for being played/finished before OoT? Or does it make it less ideal? That's all it comes down to imo.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Mirror7

Yeah, that is true :) And though this was not mentioned yet, how is the game Pikmin? I found that here where i live for a resonable price... Pikmin 1. I read it is a strategic game...is it fun? :)

The first pikmin game, while better in my opinion, is considerably harder than the 2nd pikmin. There is no time limit in the 2nd game and if you get wiped out in a dungeon, for example, you can rebuild your pikmin army and get back to it. Honestly, this made the game boring for me cause there was no challenge. The first pikmin is timed and you have to be really strategic and coordinated to do well with it. You said something about not being really serious and playing games just to have fun, so I'd recommend the 2nd game, but it's up to you.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 final_lap

I haven't played the game enough to say if the time limit was a good addition or not, but I felt it was discouraging. It demeans any feeling of satisfaction to know you that will invariably get the bad ending on your first playthrough no matter what. (or to try to rush through the game and end up doing more poorly than if you had played normally)

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I haven't played the game enough to say if the time limit was a good addition or not, but I felt it was discouraging. It demeans any feeling of satisfaction to know you that will invariably get the bad ending on your first playthrough no matter what. (or to try to rush through the game and end up doing more poorly than if you had played normally)

final_lap
It is quite difficult. The time limit always bothered me until I played Pikmin 2 and then I realized that it was necessary. However, Nintendo definitely should have been more forgiving on the amount of time. Just a couple more days would have made the first game so much more manageable and fun on the first playthrough. Then they could have added a hard mode like in almost every other game, but alas they didn't.
Mirror7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mirror7
I bought Zelda: Twilight Princess for a starter now :) Only had a little time to check it, looks interesting, challenging for me :)