Considering the to-be-released NX, is the Wii U Worth it Right Now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hailofarrows
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

Context: I bought the Wii U Splatoon-SSB bundle on Black Friday for USD 250 + tax. The purchase was spur-of-the-moment rather than anything.

The console's games and fun factor aren't a concern but after the purchase, I read up on the supposed-2016 NX.

Now that my return-by deadline for the Wii U is fast approaching, I'm wondering if I should return the system and just wait for the NX.

Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Depends on what games you will play. I bought one for Xenoblade chronicles and played 100 hours, console then sold. Not interested in Nintendo games to be honest, i was fortunate i had spare money and it was on sale.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hailofarrows

@Random_Matt: Yes, Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 were the biggest draws for me. I've already picked up the games actually, just have yet to open the shrink wrap haha.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

We don't know anything about the NX. You might as well hang on to that Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-578f2053b4a13
deactivated-578f2053b4a13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By deactivated-578f2053b4a13
Member since 2004 • 1671 Posts

@hailofarrows: at $100-150, yes. Definitely not at $250.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

We don't know what the NX is, I'd get the WiI U if I was craving a new Nintendo machine.
I have the Wii U currently.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Tough call without knowing what the NX is and if it is even coming out this year. For those who haven't owned or played a WiiU I hope NX is somehow backwards compatible. If it's not, then those people are missing out on some of the highest quality games out there.

I will say that Xenoblade Chronicles X is amazing and will probably give you at least 100 hours of fun.

Also, Mario Maker is also a game that is endless fun and hard to explain how addicting it is. Once you play it, you will understand the hook that it has.

Also, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart 8 are games that have never gotten old to me either. Smash Bros in particular. I was never a fan of the franchise before WiiU and I keep surprising myself at how much I go back to that game.

Again, I don't know what type games you like to play so maybe most of the games I mentioned are not your cup of tea. If that's the case then I may return the console because only 2 games does not make a $250 console worth it. Just know that you may be waiting awhile for NX because it still may not be coming out this year (although I'm starting to take the side that it is).

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I couldn't imagine gaming this generation without Wii U. Its essential as far as I'm concerned. Besides I'm betting that NX has BC so that Wii U games can play on it without issue.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Nintendo has always been awesome about backwards compatibility, if you are planning on getting the NX, it might be worth to wait until e3 where they will probably announce it. If it doesnt have BC then at least the price will go down a bit if you are still interested in the wii u

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchanumbers

@aigis said:

Nintendo has always been awesome about backwards compatibility, if you are planning on getting the NX, it might be worth to wait until e3 where they will probably announce it. If it doesnt have BC then at least the price will go down a bit if you are still interested in the wii u

But on the other hand you need to be racing out to get all the rare games now before its too late. Bayo 2, Lego Undercover, TW101, and Pikmin 3. I doubt anyone will be able to find Devil's 3rd in time. But this list of games you'll need to get if you are thinking of getting a Wii U library and you're serious about it.

If you decide to wait until NX it could end up biting you in the behind.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@aigis said:

But on the other hand you need to be racing out to get all the rare games now before its too late. Bayo 2, Lego Undercover, TW101, and Pikmin 3. I doubt anyone will be able to find Devil's 3rd in time. But this list of games you'll need to get if you are thinking of getting a Wii U library and you're serious about it.

If you decide to wait until NX it could end up biting you in the behind.

If you want to get physical copies sure, but there is always digital if there is backwards compatibility. Hopefully they will have a wii u mode for nx similar to the wii mode where you can retrieve it. Its all if you want to bet that the nx will have these features though. Its really a question about which games you would want for the wii u and how obtainable they are even now

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

If you like games made by Nintendo itself, then get a Wii U. Some Wii U games are hard to come by like Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3, so if you are planning to get the system, then do it now. If not, then wait for the NX. There is no point in a getting a system later on if Nintendo is going to stop print on a good amount of its games.

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I got the same bundle as you and I haven't been able to stop playing Splatoon. I'm not a Nintendo fan at all. I actually dislike a lot of things Nintendo does. Splatoon is probably the best thing Nintendo has done in a long time. To me the purchase was worth it for that game alone. I haven't played my other consoles since I got the Wii U.

I say keep it and just enjoy some of the exclusives on it.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#14 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@gamenerd15 said:

If you like games made by Nintendo itself, then get a Wii U. Some Wii U games are hard to come by like Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3, so if you are planning to get the system, then do it now. If not, then wait for the NX. There is no point in a getting a system later on if Nintendo is going to stop print on a good amount of its games.

This is true. I'd say get the system now and get the games you want before they become hard to find and more expensive. Look at the Gamecube. You can find the systems at any used/retro gaming store, but some of its games are getting up to crazy high prices due to limited print runs.

I have a hunch that the WiiU will become like the GC... largely ignored by the gaming community during its lifetime, but then after the fact people will see just how many great games are on the system creating a strong secondary market for it.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hailofarrows

@svaubel: Honestly, the limited prints of some of the best games is a major concern. At this point, I'm thinking of returning the Wii U and just keeping the Wii U games I bought.

If the NX has BC, then great, I have Xeno X and Bayo 2 ready to go. If there's no BC, then I can get a marked-down Wii U later and play these games.

Of course the secondary concern is losing out on the bundled digital games but SSB Wii U hasn't drawn me in as much as previous iterations of the title. Splatoon is cool but again hasn't had that addiction factor (for me) that so many great Nintendo titles have.

In truth, I haven't looked at many other Wii U games like Pikmin 3 or any of the Super Mario titles but the main draw of the Wii U was indeed Bayo 2 and Xeno X.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bunchanumbers

@hailofarrows said:

@svaubel: Honestly, the limited prints of some of the best games is a major concern. At this point, I'm thinking of returning the Wii U and just keeping the Wii U games I bought.

If the NX has BC, then great, I have Xeno X and Bayo 2 ready to go. If there's no BC, then I can get a marked-down Wii U later and play these games.

Of course the secondary concern is losing out on the bundled digital games but SSB Wii U hasn't drawn me in as much as previous iterations of the title. Splatoon is cool but again hasn't had that addiction factor (for me) that so many great Nintendo titles have.

In truth, I haven't looked at many other Wii U games like Pikmin 3 or any of the Super Mario titles but the main draw of the Wii U was indeed Bayo 2 and Xeno X.

I'd even hold off on selling the Wii U as well. Eventually the gamepads will end up being incredibly rare. In 10 years time I would not be shocked in the least if Wii U becomes one of the most sought after collectors items and systems in gaming.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hailofarrows

@bunchanumbers: That's an interesting thought actually. But I was under the assumption that there's such a surplus of the console that it wouldn't really become a collector's item.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchanumbers

@hailofarrows said:

@bunchanumbers: That's an interesting thought actually. But I was under the assumption that there's such a surplus of the console that it wouldn't really become a collector's item.

There's only 12 million of the system in the world. 2 million in Japan and millions in EU and the rest of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if there is only 5 million in the states. Then if you think about how Nintendo will stop repairing and producing gamepads when NX comes out and that number will only shrink due to broken systems and being sold for parts etc. This isn't so bad, but its the gamepads themselves and not the system that will be hard to get.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hailofarrows

@bunchanumbers: Yeah and without the gamepad, the console itself is useless. I've heard breaking the gamepads is relatively commonplace, too.

Thanks for the thought... Now I'm back to being on the fence with regards to returning it...

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

The NX will take ages to reach top speed, you made the right choice.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Metacritic lists 111 pieces of Wii U software as having scores of 75 or above. The argument that the Wii U has no games is ridiculous. If you want to purchase a Wii U, there are a lot of games you can play. If you feel you want to wait for the next Nintendo system, you can do that too.

If you think you only want games that will come out in the future, then the Wii U makes less sense, but there are more good games available for the Wii U then most people will ever play on whatever their preferred system is.

Now, I understand that personal taste in games narrows the list of games significantly. I still don't have enough interest in either the Xbox One's or PS4's libraries to justify purchasing those systems, but if you find enough games to push your gaming desires over the tipping point, any system can be worth the purchase. So, no one can tell you if a purchase will be worth it. You have to look at the games available and see if your interests are strong enough to justify the purchase for you.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

@hailofarrows: you made a great purchase...it will be awhile before NX handheld comes out then to be followed by NX console according to many reports(rumors?).

Why wait to have fun now when not much is still unknown what the NX will bring to the gamer. Those who bought Wii U day one had a long wait as games slowly trickled in. The Wii U has a great library now.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Tough call. I'd probably take it back since I think the NX console will release this year.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Wii U is the best Nintendo console yet, and it has the best games of all the consoles this gen. If you return the Wii U what are you going to play until the NX? The other consoles don't have a Gamepad so the same boring repeat experience of previous gens with them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I'd save it, since I'm currently playing Splatoon a lot and planning on jumping in XB:C X soon. But that's me. The only one who should know if the Wii-U's worth it or not for you - is you. And we don't know if NX plays Wii U games yet..

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Absolutely NOT! Just wait until the NX is released and then pick up a Wii U when they are selling it at a reasonable price.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I really like it, I play it more than my xbox one and ps4. I missed out on the wii last gen and it makes me happy that I can actually play those great games from last gen on it as well as the current ones.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Ofcourse! :) Who knows when it will be out

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

There already is a shortage of Wii U's among some retailers in Japan. NX will be awhile. Wouldn't you rather hold onto your own console instead of picking up a used Wii U down the road? At least you know your console hopefully has been handled with care.

I'm very happy with my Wii U.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

With the rumors of NX being portable and maybe being able to play Zelda U, I would wait for E3 to see what its all about. If it can play Zelda U, I would be inclined to beleive it will play other Wii U games also. Killer apps like smash and MK8 would make perfect sense to release on a console with bigger user base, considering it does as well as they want it to.

I have a U but I think it would be dumb to buy one now with at least the portable NX coming maybe at end of year. Especially if money is an issue.

Oh you already bought it, take it back if you can. Trust me, I think you will realize it would have been better to wait for NX in hindsight.

There are 2 different type of U owners imo. Ones like me who like the Zelda's and games like XCX, pikmin, 3d world, but not much else. The others love every game, but ones I wouldnt really need to play like Donkey Kong and Wooly World.

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

Mario Maker and ZombiU alone are some fantastic games you shouldn't miss.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Only Starfox and Pokken Tournament are coming out this year, if those games don't interest you, you may want to return it.

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

New systems usually take more than a year to develop a quality software library. There are quite a few games that you could be playing right now while you're waiting for games for this "NX" that we know nothing about.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Even if it comes out this year, I usually wait a few years till I get a console. I barely got into this gen this holiday season because I want to make sure the system has plenty of games, good price and a good UI. I got my ps3 back in 2008 when it was crappy as hell and didn't touch it for a long time. I think it's the best to let it ait and grab everything at a later time.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperTrevelyan

Everyone seems too think this guys rumor's are legit by way of neogaf. Check it out, Zelda U is confirmed for NX launch window. Also the rest of 2016 Wii U and 3DS games lineup is revealed.