Confirmed: Star Fox Zero has no online multiplayer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

For the time, at least. Whatever that means.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/star-fox-zero-will-not-have-online-multiplayer/

Nintendo to its fans: HAAAAA GOTTEEEMMMM

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Change your title to "online multiplayer" not just "multiplayer". Because it does have some form of local multiplayer.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Without multiple Gamepads usable, how do we expect them to do multiplayer seeing as the main way that they want us to play it is with the gyro sensor? This no multiple gamepad thing is really coming to bite Nintendo in the rear hard.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jcrame10

: @nini200: Gamepad controls seem awful and I hope pro controller support is included. Staring at 2 screens is not fun for me.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jcrame10

@trugs26: fixed

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trugs26

@nini200 said:

Without multiple Gamepads usable, how do we expect them to do multiplayer seeing as the main way that they want us to play it is with the gyro sensor? This no multiple gamepad thing is really coming to bite Nintendo in the rear hard.

It's confirmed that one player plays in "cockpit view" using the gamepad, while someone else can control the vehicle using the TV and I assume another controller (like a Pro Controller).

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jcrame10

@trugs26: so the "Gamepad makes the experience better" doesn't really apply to the local multiplayer, much like how it doesn't in Splatoon.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 trugs26

@jcrame10 said:

@trugs26: so the "Gamepad makes the experience better" doesn't really apply to the local multiplayer, much like how it doesn't in Splatoon.

I haven't seen it in action. So I'm not sure how good/bad it is.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcrame10

@trugs26: i really dont see how you can play a game in third person and first person at the same time, but thats just me. maybe somehow they will make it work right, but for now i feel it would be a clumsy mess.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trugs26

@jcrame10: Sorry, I thought you were talking about multiplayer (since this thread is about multiplayer).

In terms of single player, yeah that confuses me too. I don't see how that will work. I'm waiting for impressions from the show floor before passing judgment.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jcrame10

@trugs26: I am talking multiplayer, it applies to both really since the Gamepad user would be playing the same- at least the first person part. It would be weird having one player in first person and another in third, though

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26

@jcrame10: In the multiplayer, one person is just playing an on-rails shooter and the other is playing a third person flying game. I think it will work fine, but whether or not it's fun is another question.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26

@trugs26: I could imagine a control scheme similar to Splatoon, which could be pretty cool. If it was the case, I'd probably just ignore the gamepad screen though.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

No online multiplayer is a big missed opportunity, not even competitive like the remake on the 3DS. A 4 player co-op would have been great, even if they couldn't do the story missions, separate arena like missions for 4 players would have been great.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I would love to see multiplayer in this game but it's not a deal breaker. Maybe it won't be a $60 game, who knows?

Am I the only one who thinks the game looks awesome? The controls look intriguing too IMO.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Nintendo to its fans: HAAAAA GOTTEEEMMMM

What? Did Nintendo say there was going to be multiplayer before and now they say there isn't?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Eh... I'm not even sure I want to play this to begin with because of that awkward control scheme.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcrame10

@JordanElek: shouldn't it be a given in this type of game?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Im happy they didnt do online, this game doesnt really need it. Maybe one day when tech is ready we can have an online multiplayer Starfox were we can travel the universe like an open world, would be amazing. But also would be crazy hard to do, no one has done it yet.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@jcrame10: In the multiplayer, one person is just playing an on-rails shooter and the other is playing a third person flying game. I think it will work fine, but whether or not it's fun is another question.

Nintendo Treehouse E3 2015 Day 1 Part 1

Loading Video...

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ooyoMrstE&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDU_Dk6KuW8in13DnxerYMU3&index=45

Day 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GusfUpoF-GM&index=60&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDU_Dk6KuW8in13DnxerYMU3

Gamespot Demo

https://youtu.be/DisuGIYVqv8

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jcrame10

@GameboyTroy: I don't see the point of the Gamepad. Wouldn't it be so much easier to have the option of switching between first and third person view on the television screen?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek

@jcrame10 said:

@JordanElek: shouldn't it be a given in this type of game?

An arcade score attack game? Not really...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jcrame10: Its to give you two points of view, a cockpit view and a cinematic view. You do not, i repeat, do not, use both screens at same time. This would be very hard to achieve, would need separate eye balls so could view both at same time.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Eh... I'm not even sure I want to play this to begin with because of that awkward control scheme.

It actually sounds intriguing to me, I think a demo would go a long way for Nintendo in selling people on the control scheme. I think your reaction is the one a lot of people will have, as on paper, it does sound cumbersome.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustPlainLucas

@Sepewrath said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

It actually sounds intriguing to me, I think a demo would go a long way for Nintendo in selling people on the control scheme. I think your reaction is the one a lot of people will have, as on paper, it does sound cumbersome.

That's all fine and dandy, but the thing is, I want to just play it like the Star Foxes of the past. If there's a traditional control scheme, then I'll choose that. I've never been a fan of having to divert my attention between two screens (which makes question sometimes why I bought a Wii U), so I'm just really hoping Nintendo understands that not ever gamer wants to play with this control scheme and lets us play it traditionally.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Sepewrath said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

That's all fine and dandy, but the thing is, I want to just play it like the Star Foxes of the past. If there's a traditional control scheme, then I'll choose that. I've never been a fan of having to divert my attention between two screens (which makes question sometimes why I bought a Wii U), so I'm just really hoping Nintendo understands that not ever gamer wants to play with this control scheme and lets us play it traditionally.

What does that even mean though? Controllers have evolved a lot since the 60's. By traditionally, do you mean 1 analog stick? 1 Joy stick? 1 joystick+1 button? Suped up joy stick with tonnes of buttons? D-pad and buttons? Analog stick and buttons? Etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Sepewrath said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

What does that even mean though? Controllers have evolved a lot since the 60's. By traditionally, do you mean 1 analog stick? 1 Joy stick? 1 joystick+1 button? Suped up joy stick with tonnes of buttons? D-pad and buttons? Analog stick and buttons? Etc.

Stop being mr. smartypants and bash the gamepad like the rest of us durn nabbit!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JustPlainLucas

@trugs26 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Sepewrath said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I mean without having to wave the frickin gamepad around in front of you for the first person mode. Let me use the left stick to move and the right stick to aim like any other shooter.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JordanElek

@JustPlainLucas said:

I mean without having to wave the frickin gamepad around in front of you for the first person mode. Let me use the left stick to move and the right stick to aim like any other shooter.

Wow, I haven't had to say this since the Wii days: If you're waving the gamepad around in front of you, you're doing it wrong. Watch the people play. The tilting is within like 10 degrees for regular aiming, and you pivot your arms if you need to look out of the normal range.

You sound like people who loved the N64 controller and resisted a second analog stick because "I don't want to wiggle both my thumbs all over the controller just to walk and aim at the same time."

If Nintendo lets you play without gyro, you'll have major issues, judging by what I've seen. If you'd rather handicap yourself than try to learn something new, then whatever makes you happy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@JordanElek said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Wow, I haven't had to say this since the Wii days: If you're waving the gamepad around in front of you, you're doing it wrong. Watch the people play. The tilting is within like 10 degrees for regular aiming, and you pivot your arms if you need to look out of the normal range.

You sound like people who loved the N64 controller and resisted a second analog stick because "I don't want to wiggle both my thumbs all over the controller just to walk and aim at the same time."

If Nintendo lets you play without gyro, you'll have major issues, judging by what I've seen. If you'd rather handicap yourself than try to learn something new, then whatever makes you happy.

The gyro is very smooth when aiming, anyone who has used the gyro so far will most likely agree the gyro is smoother, easier to control, and faster then traditional controls. I would even go full fanboy and say gyro is superior to mouse.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#31 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I admit, I'm pretty disappointed by that. But let's be honest, bar Assault, Star Fox's multiplayer has always been pretty crappy.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Starfox Zero allows you to turn off gyro controls if you want to.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236176-starfox-zero-allows-you-to-turn-off-gyro-controls

Online multiplayer might be considered for a later date.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236290-starfox-zero-a-few-more-details-on-the-supporting-cast-gamepla

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so this turned into another motion controls hate thread.

everyone wants a stupid dualshock controller for eternity.....

i always liked motion controls and im i think they are used very interestingly.

and yes i play splatoon with gyro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@GameboyTroy said:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236176-starfox-zero-allows-you-to-turn-off-gyro-controls

http://gonintendo.com/stories/236290-starfox-zero-a-few-more-details-on-the-supporting-cast-gamepla

Nice, thats pretty good to know. I heard a few people were interested in turning the Gyro controls off. I think this is a genius ideal as it was with Splatoon. I had a friend over who wanted to try Splatoon, he told me he didnt want to use Gyro, so i let him play for awhile, he liked it a lot. Then i told him to try out the Gyro, at first he seemed to not understand how it worked, so i showed him how to use it, and if the Gyro got out of sync some, how to use the Gamepad on the fly to adjust it, after about 3 matches this dude was praising Gyro as the greatest gaming innovation ever. I was like, whoa there buddy, i know youre happy, but Nintendo has done a lot of innovating things in gaming. But i kinda agree i think the Gyro is an epic addition to Nintendos success at implementing new tech.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Zero fucks given about no online multiplayer. I don't recall Star Fox 64 having online multiplayer either, so no probs on that end.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trugs26

@mesome713 said:
@GameboyTroy said:

Nice, thats pretty good to know. I heard a few people were interested in turning the Gyro controls off. I think this is a genius ideal as it was with Splatoon. I had a friend over who wanted to try Splatoon, he told me he didnt want to use Gyro, so i let him play for awhile, he liked it a lot. Then i told him to try out the Gyro, at first he seemed to not understand how it worked, so i showed him how to use it, and if the Gyro got out of sync some, how to use the Gamepad on the fly to adjust it, after about 3 matches this dude was praising Gyro as the greatest gaming innovation ever. I was like, whoa there buddy, i know youre happy, but Nintendo has done a lot of innovating things in gaming. But i kinda agree i think the Gyro is an epic addition to Nintendos success at implementing new tech.

Pretty much all of my friends are extremely skeptical about the gyro in Splatoon. It's hard to convince people with words. People just have a huge distaste for motion controls after the Wii/Kinect/Move era. But honestly, gyro controls in Splatoon is essential. It's so much better than dual analog.

So with Starfox, I'm not as skeptical. I'm keen to try it out with the gyro controls.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

I don't care for multiplayer in Star Fox so it's not a big deal to me whatsoever. Everyone complaining about gyro controls sounds like an old person who doesn't want to use an iPhone because they're too complicated, they just want to use a phone like the good old days where it flips open and you can make a call with REAL buttons.

Are you guys like 80 years old?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Online multiplayer seems like a perfect fit for Star Fox. They could do it. They should do it. BUT, they're not.

@fishpockets said:

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By L0rd_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 64 Posts
@fishpockets said:

I don't care for multiplayer in Star Fox so it's not a big deal to me whatsoever. Everyone complaining about gyro controls sounds like an old person who doesn't want to use an iPhone because they're too complicated, they just want to use a phone like the good old days where it flips open and you can make a call with REAL buttons.

Star fox assault had awesome multiplayer and gyro controls suck. Not everyone wants to be waving around for the whole game, its gimmicky...

@trugs26 said:

gyro controls in Splatoon is essential. It's so much better than dual analog.

I hated the gyro controls in splatoon... Always felt like a gimmick and less precise. Splatoon isnt really a game you get intensely into so really I dont want to have to re-position myself every now and then so I can get a clean shot off when I have two perfectly fine analog sticks that will do the job without any of the hassle

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

@l0rd_magikarp said:

Star fox assault had awesome multiplayer and gyro controls suck. Not everyone wants to be waving around for the whole game, its gimmicky...

You don't wave your controller around for an entire game.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@l0rd_magikarp said:

I hated the gyro controls in splatoon... Always felt like a gimmick and less precise. Splatoon isnt really a game you get intensely into so really I dont want to have to re-position myself every now and then so I can get a clean shot off when I have two perfectly fine analog sticks that will do the job without any of the hassle

You've gotta be kidding, lol. Gyro controls in Splatoon are the most precise for a console shooter, EVER. Even moreso than games like Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii. It's hardly a gimmick when gyro controls should be the future for any precision based games on consoles, like shooters.

It's really obvious when I'm playing Splatoon against people who switched off gyro controls. The action and movement is just too fast for them to get a clean shot in the heat of battle.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

No online multiplayer in 2015 is a complete joke. Star Fox is the perfect game for it. Everything about Star Fox screams of a rushed game with very little features (and poor graphics) just to try to fill the void of no games this year. I mean come on, even a bare bones online system like SSB would be nice. Either Nintendo is completely incompetent when making games, or they're desperately rushing Star Fox since Zelda got pushed back.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@nini200 said:

Really seems like an excuse on Nintendo's part. It looks like the game would control fine with a regular controller. The game still essentially flies like Star Fox 64. If anything it allows for a mode where the GamePad user has a different vehicle from everyone else and they all have to battle him.

I would say splitscreen multiplayer was a huge draw to SF64, seeing as this game returns to that form in many ways it would be a colossal disappointment to remove it and then use a terrible excuse like "not everyone can use the GamePad." At least Nintendo should just be honest and say we are killing ourselves to get this game out by 2015 so we have something on the table for this year. The graphics look mashed together from different generations and they clearly will not have time to do multiplayer.

Maybe DLC is an option. I just hope they do not throw it off the option table completely as it was as beloved by 64 players as Mario Kart 64 splitscreen.

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 L0rd_Magikarp

@Sgt_Crow: The gyro controls are just awful, I tried to play with it, but I always felt more comfortable playing with it off. The wii felt like it had better controls... It feels like an unnecessary addition to me, but apparently someone out there likes it... to each their own I guess... (PS how did you know that they had gyro turned off, did you ask them over voice chat?)

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sgt_Crow
@l0rd_magikarp said:

@Sgt_Crow: but apparently someone out there likes it... to each their own I guess...

You make it sound like I am one of the few who like it, while it's actually the other way around: you're one of the few who dislike it.

They take some time getting used to, but they are critically acclaimed by nearly everyone who stuck some time in the game. Honestly, I would actually say that the gyro controls are one of the biggest contributors to the addictive nature of Splatoon, since they feel as unique and impressive as the gameplay itself.

@l0rd_magikarp said:

@Sgt_Crow: (PS how did you know that they had gyro turned off, did you ask them over voice chat?)

I play with friends a lot, from whom not all of them use gyro controls. It's also not very hard to notice the players who are standing point blank and just shoot left and right of you (while never actually hitting you).

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 L0rd_Magikarp

@Sgt_Crow said:

You make it sound like I am one of the few who like it, while it's actually the other way around: you're one of the few who dislike it.

They take some time getting used to, but they are critically acclaimed by nearly everyone who stuck some time in the game. Honestly, I would actually say that the gyro controls are one of the biggest contributors to the addictive nature of Splatoon, since they feel as unique and impressive as the gameplay itself.

I play with friends a lot, from whom not all of them use gyro controls. It's also not very hard to notice the players who are standing point blank and just shoot left and right of you (while never actually hitting you).

Now here is where we differ, Splatoon is a fine concept, but terrible executed. The game is riddled with problems and constantly is blocking the player. Maybe I just believe other games do what splatoon is trying to do, just in a completely better way, but I have conducted my own survey and find that people who are absolutely in love with the game, are very generous towards Nintendo franchises.

That being said about your friends. Did you consider maybe they are bad and not everyone who play with gyro controls off is bad also? I have played many games and have carried my team without the use of gyro controls... Until voice chat is implemented and you can ask if they are, your observations are biased because you are assuming

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I didn't think that event could get any worse. I'm not surprised there is no online MP though.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sgt_Crow

@l0rd_magikarp said:

riddled with problems and constantly is blocking the player.

Explain how the gyro controls are blocking the player. I feel like they finally gave me much needed freedom while playing a console shooter.

The game has a few hick-ups. The controls are not one of them.

@l0rd_magikarp said:

but I have conducted my own survey and find that people who are absolutely in love with the game, are very generous towards Nintendo franchises.

Ah, yes. My love for Mario and Zelda is totally the reason why I'm loving this brand new franchise that has nothing to do with other said franchises. Your argument sounds extremely shallow. People who love Splatoon MUST be Nintendo fanboys, why else would they like a control scheme that you obviously suck at or never took the time to learn.

@l0rd_magikarp said:

I have played many games and have carried my team without the use of gyro controls...

Unless you're using a (dynamo) roller, I find this extremely hard to believe.

@l0rd_magikarp said:

your observations are biased because you are assuming

So I'm biased, but you aren't? What is this? Kindergarten?

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 L0rd_Magikarp

@Sgt_Crow said:

1)Explain how the gyro controls are blocking the player. I feel like they finally gave me much needed freedom while playing a console shooter.

The game has a few hick-ups. The controls are not one of them.

2)Ah, yes. My love for Mario and Zelda is totally the reason why I'm loving this brand new franchise that has nothing to do with other said franchises. Your argument sounds extremely shallow. People who love Splatoon MUST be Nintendo fanboys, why else would they like a control scheme that you obviously suck at or never took the time to learn.

3) Unless you're using a (dynamo) roller, I find this extremely hard to believe.

4) So I'm biased, but you aren't? What is this? Kindergarten?

1. I didnt say the controls, the game in general (even though in my opinion gyro is awful)
  2. You miss the point, doesnt that sound shallow? Almost like saying everyone who does good in a game must use gyro controls. (See what im driving at here?)
  3. Nope regular gun, and I do it pretty consistently
  4. I am biased to a certain extent, but Im not the one claiming that everyone who does well in a game must use gyro controls from what little evidence I have to support such a claim