Comments on the recent review of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

Hi everyone.  I know that there is space under every review for us to comment, but I felt that this review requires a lengthier discussion.

The current Metacritic score for Luigi's Mansion is 85, yet the Gamespot review score (here) is 6.5/10.

Now, I haven't played the game and I understand that everyone has different opinions...However, I feel that this review is unusually harsh toward the game, in that it's primary complaint is that the game is too difficult.  Why is difficulty playing such a large factor in the overall score?  It really disappoints me that Gamespot would let a review like this go out.

Thoughts?

*edit* Okay somehow I must have missed the recent thread about Luigi's Mansion.  Oh well.  I still feel the review itself is worth a separate discussion, but I understand if mods feel the need to lock/delete this thread.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I respect the reviewer and her right to an opinion, but her complaint on difficult spikes does not seem to be mirrored by other reviews. Even the lower ones. ... and yet she makes it out to be almost game breaking. The review seems to reflect her personal experience of the game, more than the quality of the game itself. I think the best reviewers are able to exercise good judgment in the recommendations they make to their readers. As more and more people play the game in the coming days/weeks, it will become more clear how valid this critique is.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I respect the reviewer and her right to an opinion, but her complaint on difficult spikes does not seem to be mirrored by other reviews. Even the lower ones. ... and yet she makes it out to be almost game breaking. The review seems to reflect her personal experience of the game, more than the quality of the game itself. I think the best reviewers are able to exercise good judgment in the recommendations they make to their readers. As more and more people play the game in the coming days/weeks, it will become more clear how valid this critique is.

I completely agree with this.
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I feel that this review is unusually harsh toward the game, in that it's primary complaint is that the game is too difficult.

RACiEP
looks at dark souls.. a 9.5 eh? something doesnt add up here
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

I feel that this review is unusually harsh toward the game, in that it's primary complaint is that the game is too difficult.

voljin1987

TEH conspiracy! Will be getting this game next month, screw the review score.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

GS reviews in general are probably the least impressive when comparing to other gaming websites in that the scores rarely seem to fit according to the flaws and some scores just come out of nowhere. I like having different opinions, but some here make me scratch my head sometimes.

The best way to remedy this is to randomly score some games you own and see a website that traditionally matches your complaints for the game and the accompanying score. IGN and I agree with the scores more than any other website. So for me, I listen to them and take their reviews more seriously than any other. The site of course will be different for each person's favorite type of gaming and preferences.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they stand out greatly from the crowd.

However, it was certainly one odd score, and I have yet to read a review that shares the complaints pointed out by GS. And even without having played the game, I think it is a little bit too much to highlight one frustrating boss battle as a big flaw of the game.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

label me confused and unsure. The same thing happened with the Castlevania review, only in reverse. IGN ripped that game apart and gave it a 4.7 and Gamespot gave the game a semi respectable 7.0. And now Luigi Mansion is a stellar 9.3 on IGN and a lowly 6.4 on GS.

I dont have a lot of money to throw around. I rely on reviews to make a purchase. Now i have to make a risky decision on wether i pick this game up this morning or not. I have it pre-ordered and paid in full, but i could put that money toward a better game in the near future.

I did not buy Castlevania because of reviews, and now maybe skip Luigis Mansion. I waited a year for these games only to be fully disappointed. WTF?

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

My thought is that the editor is insane, hate Nintendo, got personal issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
The supposed problem with difficulty is actually a huge positive for me. IMO it adds that risk/reward aspect to games, of which all seem to lack these days.
TriforceBowser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TriforceBowser
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
They should of gave fire emblem a 1.5 because you die after 1 turn in hard mode lol
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

label me confused and unsure. The same thing happened with the Castlevania review, only in reverse. IGN ripped that game apart and gave it a 4.7 and Gamespot gave the game a semi respectable 7.0. And now Luigi Mansion is a stellar 9.3 on IGN and a lowly 6.4 on GS.

I dont have a lot of money to throw around. I rely on reviews to make a purchase. Now i have to make a risky decision on wether i pick this game up this morning or not. I have it pre-ordered and paid in full, but i could put that money toward a better game in the near future.

I did not buy Castlevania because of reviews, and now maybe skip Luigis Mansion. I waited a year for these games only to be fully disappointed. WTF?

Videodogg

So I don't know if you did or not, but I hope you ended up picking up the game. If you read the review, you'll notice that the prime complaint was the difficulty, which no other reviews seem to mention. It sounds like the reviewer was just bad at the game and poured all of her rage into her review. Even if it is difficult for some, I don't see how this warrants such a low score when the positive points of the game seem to be terrific.

I just really don't understand how the rest of the GS staff felt this review was okay and would really love to hear an opinion from them.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Gamespot hates 3DS. My comments.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Videodogg
I would just check the metacrtic http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/luigis-mansion-dark-moon I typically pay attention to the review distribution, and skim a few of the positive and negative reviews. ... if you look at the Castlevania page, you can see that some really liked it, others didn't. http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/castlevania-lords-of-shadow---mirror-of-fate/critic-reviews I would skim some of the reviews and see what you agree with most. You can always rent the game!
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#15 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I agree with what I'm seeing on here but I also know that the gamers can have much different experiences depending on their level of skill at a particular game; what might be easy for us may be difficult for someone who doesn't game as often. 

That being said, there's one line in the review that made me discount it: 

[Professor E. Gadd's] idea of humor is so groan-worthy that it may elicit a few reluctant chuckles ...

Carolyn Petit

How can you say that about the Professor!?! C'mon! If you find what he's saying is groan-worthy then was this game targeted to you? A score doesn't matter to me, I can shrug off complaints fairly easily because they are just opinions, but taking a jabb at the Professor? Not cool. :evil:

russiaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 russiaAK47
Member since 2011 • 447 Posts

dont mean to sound like an A-hole, but it was a girl reviewer complaining that the game was too hard..... to me thats what makes games memorable.  i hate flying through a game in 2 hours when i just spent $50 on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
 I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_

So those who have it, how is it?

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
I went in to read the review and took a look at the score first, then I looked at who had reviewed the game, that was my "AHA!!" moment. After taking the time to read her review on Trine 2, I can say I no longer care about what the lady has to say about video games. Sigh, went out looking for a copy of the game and it was sold out. I can't wait to play it, I've been waiting years for a sequel.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#20 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Epak_

The game looks and plays great on the 3DS. In the first two hours it controls better than the original did and has so much charm to it. The only thing this game lacks compared to the original is Luigi thrusting up against furniture. :lol:

But seriously, the first game had its problems. It was a launch Gamecube title that was short and a new idea; rough around the edges but the charm made up for those issues. So far it seems those rough edges have been washed away with and made into a much more solid, and longer from what reviews have said, experience. 

I also had a friend come over last night who hadn't played the original and picked this one up on a whim while preordering Bioshock Infinite. He was really enjoying the game and was eager to play more of it. 

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

Zassimick

The game looks and plays great on the 3DS. In the first two hours it controls better than the original did and has so much charm to it. The only thing this game lacks compared to the original is Luigi thrusting up against furniture. :lol:

But seriously, the first game had its problems. It was a launch Gamecube title that was short and a new idea; rough around the edges but the charm made up for those issues. So far it seems those rough edges have been washed away with and made into a much more solid, and longer from what reviews have said, experience. 

I also had a friend come over last night who hadn't played the original and picked this one up on a whim while preordering Bioshock Infinite. He was really enjoying the game and was eager to play more of it. 

Ah nice to hear. I never really cared for the first game, this one looks really good though.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Yea it was an odd review. I've only cleared the first mansion so far (loving the game) but I think the reviewer came off a little whiny. If there is only one real area where the difficulty ramps up then why knock off so many points? I get it that it forces you to replay 11 stages of a boss fight (if you don't have one of those extra lives) but you never see difficulty spikes taking off that much on a review.

If difficulty spikes like that can destroy a game's review score than Fire Emblem: Awakening would probably get a 4/10 by most people. Just an odd thing to fault the game for IMO.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bonesawisready5

I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/darkspineslayer

Damn. Why is that even necessary? I get it that people take review scores too seriously but she's just poking a user for fun. Really unprofessional.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Ever since the 3DS came out I've noticed that Gamespot's 3DS game reviews are almost always lower than the average critic score. Do they have some personal grudge against the system or something? Seriously, take a look at Gamerankings sometime and look at some of the major 3DS games. Gamespot's scores are always among the lowest for those games.
Coldpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coldpain
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

As I posted on the page of the official review: Carolyn consistently reviews games with poor scores despite their often contradicting meta and user scores. GameSpot needs to either re-adjust her game scores or ask her to stop reviewing games. It really hurts the developer when their games receive bad reviews on this site, especially smaller companies and sleeper titles. This is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm tired of seeing Editor's Choice games belonging almost exclusively to Kevin VanOrd.

I don't even want to play this game, I'm just disgusted with the fact that Carolyn's last two game reviews were way out of the ball park.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

RACiEP

So I don't know if you did or not, but I hope you ended up picking up the game. If you read the review, you'll notice that the prime complaint was the difficulty, which no other reviews seem to mention. It sounds like the reviewer was just bad at the game and poured all of her rage into her review. Even if it is difficult for some, I don't see how this warrants such a low score when the positive points of the game seem to be terrific.

I just really don't understand how the rest of the GS staff felt this review was okay and would really love to hear an opinion from them.

I did buy the game. It is definitely a "9" game for 3DS if i ever saw one. Top tier and first class. I dont know why i even listen to ANYTHING GS has to say about anything. Jesus. The reviewer is not even reasonable in the slightest. Disgusting.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

I did buy the game. It is definitely a "9" game for 3DS if i ever saw one. Top tier and first class. I dont know why i even listen to ANYTHING GS has to say about anything. Jesus. The reviewer is not even reasonable in the slightest. Disgusting.Videodogg

I NEVER care about what an official reviewer has to say, their opinions are worthless and are always biased whether it be personal or payment.  I look at the user reviews.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts
I believe she based more of her personal opinion on LM2 than an objective one. I can hate some games, but still see how they can be amazing to someone else. I dislike reviews that come off more personal than professional. I only played the game for 3 hours, but I couldn't find much to complain about. I'm sure I could give a 6.5 to any COD game ( esp. after 3) but thats just me. A lot of people love the style and rightfully so.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/bonesawisready5

Damn. Why is that even necessary? I get it that people take review scores too seriously but she's just poking a user for fun. Really unprofessional.

I agree, it is unprofessional and the "reviewer" needs to be slapped, repeatedly. People constantly say that Nintendo needs to "mix it up" and move away from proven successes, then when they do people write silly reviews like hers.

She's clearly just the token female on their staff. I wonder how she "earned" her job.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/bonesawisready5

That's embarrassing for Gamespot and herself.  If you're going to "respond" to a user's comment at least show some professionalism, some class and maybe provide some insight beyond your review in order to explain yourself if you're indeed standing-by your game.

Evidently, Carolyn is incapable of that.  The review is lousy, the score is completely unrelated to what she even wrote in her lousy review, and she shouldn't be allowed to review games period.  She has no concept of gaging scores correctly.

And why should we care about the Metacritic review? Or the average review scores of sites that actually matter?  Because that shows how reliable your review is Carolyn.  That is why.  See, if you're review is a significant outlier from the rest of the pack of reviews out there then that means something is inherently wrong with your review.  In this case it was the fact that hey, the game is hard-obviously I'm not good at it-got frustrated-buried the game.  Interestingly, no other sites lodged that complaint including Gamespot's new affiliate, Giant Bomb.

So by looking at the Metacritic scores, watching and reading other sites/reviewers take on the game I amongst many other Gamespot users, have come to the conclusion that your review is unreliable, Carolyn.

And as a Gamespot registered user for years, upon years, and some more years, not including the time I used to visit the site before registering (add more years), I realize that Gamespot is no longer a premier review site unless Kevin is reviewing, and even then I'm cautious.  Carolyn your review is in the vicinity of Tom's review of Skyward Sword and he didn't even know how to control the game properly.

I can't wait to purchase the game.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/Jurassic85

I agree, it is unprofessional and the "reviewer" needs to be slapped, repeatedly. People constantly say that Nintendo needs to "mix it up" and move away from proven successes, then when they do people write silly reviews like hers.

She's clearly just the token female on their staff. I wonder how she "earned" her job.

I hope you're not implying anything negative with that "earned" comment. She doesn't need to be slapped at all. Its not a review I agree with, I don't even think it is well-written but no need to take it so seriously and make sexist statements like that.

You should really step away from sites like this and the gaming media if you're going to take a review like this that seriously.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
So many whiny users here, it's ridiculous.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
So many whiny users here, it's ridiculous.Blabadon
Isn't that part of what forums are about. It happens in all of them here on gamespot, specially system wars. I will say that I agree with what many have said here, the review doesn't reflect the score, in my opinion. Doesn't matter as many people could care less about the score and got the game, just like I did.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]So many whiny users here, it's ridiculous.Cesar_Barba
Isn't that part of what forums are about. It happens in all of them here on gamespot, specially system wars. I will say that I agree with what many have said here, the review doesn't reflect the score, in my opinion. Doesn't matter as many people could care less about the score and got the game, just like I did.

Yep, ditto to what you said. As long as people buy what looks like a great game in Luigi's Mansion, then they should be happy.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

GS reviews in general are probably the least impressive when comparing to other gaming websites in that the scores rarely seem to fit according to the flaws and some scores just come out of nowhere. I like having different opinions, but some here make me scratch my head sometimes.

The best way to remedy this is to randomly score some games you own and see a website that traditionally matches your complaints for the game and the accompanying score. IGN and I agree with the scores more than any other website. So for me, I listen to them and take their reviews more seriously than any other. The site of course will be different for each person's favorite type of gaming and preferences.

lild1425

I used to do this back in the day. GameTrailers was my best bet, followed by IGN.

Nowadays I don't listen to reviews anymore, I just play a couple, non-spoiler, videos from youtube and then decide.

I lost my respect after, a couple years ago, everyone found out a company was paying websites and magazines to score their games no lower than 9.0, after that, I just follow my gut. Worst case scenario, you lose 40 bucks.

towny_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 towny_
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

The reviewer that reviewed this game and said that it was too hard at times is the same reviewer that said in the other nintendo reviews they've done that the games are too easy

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/Jurassic85

Gee pal... she just didnt like the game as much as others did.. don get constipated over it.. live and let live.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

voljin1987

just shut up

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

Zassimick

Love the game so far, but it just doesn't stand up to the original for me. I prefer the controls and feel of the original. I think I just need to play and enjoy this new one without thinking about how it compares the orginal.
arfy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 arfy2
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] I defiantly think a little less of Caro after this show of arrogance. :/sonic_spark

That's embarrassing for Gamespot and herself.  If you're going to "respond" to a user's comment at least show some professionalism, some class and maybe provide some insight beyond your review in order to explain yourself if you're indeed standing-by your game.

Evidently, Carolyn is incapable of that.  The review is lousy, the score is completely unrelated to what she even wrote in her lousy review, and she shouldn't be allowed to review games period.  She has no concept of gaging scores correctly.

And why should we care about the Metacritic review? Or the average review scores of sites that actually matter?  Because that shows how reliable your review is Carolyn.  That is why.  See, if you're review is a significant outlier from the rest of the pack of reviews out there then that means something is inherently wrong with your review.  In this case it was the fact that hey, the game is hard-obviously I'm not good at it-got frustrated-buried the game.  Interestingly, no other sites lodged that complaint including Gamespot's new affiliate, Giant Bomb.

So by looking at the Metacritic scores, watching and reading other sites/reviewers take on the game I amongst many other Gamespot users, have come to the conclusion that your review is unreliable, Carolyn.

And as a Gamespot registered user for years, upon years, and some more years, not including the time I used to visit the site before registering (add more years), I realize that Gamespot is no longer a premier review site unless Kevin is reviewing, and even then I'm cautious.  Carolyn your review is in the vicinity of Tom's review of Skyward Sword and he didn't even know how to control the game properly.

I can't wait to purchase the game.

Very close to my words on this! Carolyn has no trust, credibility or respect to her review scores.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#41 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

YoshiYogurt

Love the game so far, but it just doesn't stand up to the original for me. I prefer the controls and feel of the original. I think I just need to play and enjoy this new one without thinking about how it compares the orginal.

Agreed, the original is way better because of human ghost bosses and better atmosphere.

Kwing1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 Kwing1983
Member since 2006 • 2325 Posts

I recently reviewed this game and gave it a 9/10 a must buy! I had a blast playing this game, and did a thorough review of it on my channel. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFk9TlQY36E&feature=youtu.be

Here's my channel for more ubiased reviews http://www.youtube.com/knightwing01

Abagnam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Abagnam
Member since 2013 • 122 Posts
I agree with the review