Can you put gamecube games on the wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GabeRamos (427 posts) -

Is it possible to save gamecube games to the wii hard drive or play them through an SD card?

#2 Posted by Michael-Smith (909 posts) -
Nope. Gotta have a GC memory card.
#3 Posted by GabeRamos (427 posts) -

I dont mean save data, i mean is it possible to actually save the entire game onto the hard drive like what microsoft does with the 360. You can put 360 games on the 360 hard drive so you dont have to load in disks. can you do that with gamecube games?

#4 Posted by intro94 (2623 posts) -

I dont mean save data, i mean is it possible to actually save the entire game onto the hard drive like what microsoft does with the 360. You can put 360 games on the 360 hard drive so you dont have to load in disks. can you do that with gamecube games?

GabeRamos
legally no, you cant
#5 Posted by GabeRamos (427 posts) -

why would it be illegal if i own the game?

#6 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

well the wii has 512mb of flash memory, and average gc game ranges around 236mb, and the max is 2.5gb. So obviously its not designed for saving GC games, but just because something isnt designed a certain way in the beginning doesnt mean it cant be modified or find a work around (external _____). im not gonna say how, but im pretty sure u get the point. lets just leave it at that. :P

#7 Posted by GabeRamos (427 posts) -

well the wii has 512mb of flash memory, and average gc game ranges around 236mb, and the max is 2.5gb. So obviously its not designed for saving GC games, but just because something isnt designed a certain way in the beginning doesnt mean it cant be modified or find a work around (external _____). im not gonna say how, but im pretty sure u get the point. lets just leave it at that. :P

painguy1
So i'm guessing that if what i am suggesting happens, it does so with a hastle and does not happen often?
#8 Posted by Cesar_Barba (3665 posts) -

GabeRamos

You still have to load the game disk in the system to play it, it just doesn't have to keep reading that disk if the content is saved to the HDD. I mean, in the 360.

#9 Posted by Ovirew (8117 posts) -

GabeRamos
The whole reason why Gamecube games are smaller than regular discs, is that is reduces loading times. Therefore, I don't see why you would be so eager to, hrrm, have them copied to HDD...
#10 Posted by creativeminded (1730 posts) -

GabeRamos
With copyright, often we are not allowed to make copies unless specifically stated that we can. Obviously this law is in place to prevent sharing copies with a friend who would have otherwise paid money for the product
#11 Posted by SSBFan12 (11981 posts) -

Is it possible to save gamecube games to the wii hard drive or play them through an SD card?

GabeRamos
You have got to have a GC memory card.
#12 Posted by xchurchillx (118 posts) -
[QUOTE="intro94"][QUOTE="GabeRamos"]

legally no, you cant

Even with a 360 you still have to put the disks in. Having the game on the hard drive just shortens loading times and makes less noise.Allowing people to play without disks would be a horrible idea. People would just borrow their friends games and install them to their wii. It will never happen.It takes all of 2 seconds to put a GC game in the Wii.
#13 Posted by BigBen11111 (1529 posts) -

What for? All you need to do is pop in a GameCube game & proper memory card & you're good to go. Unless you're scheming.

#14 Posted by starwarsjunky (24765 posts) -

[QUOTE="GabeRamos"]

creativeminded

With copyright, often we are not allowed to make copies unless specifically stated that we can. Obviously this law is in place to prevent sharing copies with a friend who would have otherwise paid money for the product

this is not true. you allowed to make a backup of a game or any other electronic media as long as YOU still own the game. LINK

#15 Posted by ozzsoad (2703 posts) -

GabeRamos
What's the point? Even with the 360 you still need the disc in the console, and the Wii is a hell of a lot less noisy and doesn't experience lagged loading, so why would the Wii need that capability?
#16 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

GabeRamos

So i'm guessing that if what i am suggesting happens, it does so with a hastle and does not happen often?

yes with a hastle and not very often lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
#17 Posted by deactivated-5967f36c08c33 (15614 posts) -

The whole reason why Gamecube games are smaller than regular discs, is that is reduces loading times. Therefore, I don't see why you would be so eager to, hrrm, have them copied to HDD...Ovirew

If I recall correctly,the main reason why GC game disks are smaller than normal disks was to prevent piracy.

#18 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16458 posts) -
I wish your post was the same question as the topic title. I wanted to answer it. :P
#19 Posted by Rocky32189 (8995 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ovirew"] The whole reason why Gamecube games are smaller than regular discs, is that is reduces loading times. Therefore, I don't see why you would be so eager to, hrrm, have them copied to HDD...VGobbsesser

If I recall correctly,the main reason why GC game disks are smaller than normal disks was to prevent piracy.

That is correct
#20 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ovirew"] The whole reason why Gamecube games are smaller than regular discs, is that is reduces loading times. Therefore, I don't see why you would be so eager to, hrrm, have them copied to HDD...VGobbsesser

actually they are called mini dvds, and u can buy them at Best Buy, Fry's, Radio Shack or any other electronic store. They hold up to 2.5 gb, and nintendo didnt use it to prevent piracy. they used them because they were extremly cheap to make, and didnt require the gc to have a larger dvd drive therefore increasing the system size and cost. I have a ton and they are rly useful for storing small files, and i can easly take computer tools i use to fix stuff on my friends comps. Its rly convinient storage disc. u guys should try them out.

#21 Posted by chang_1910 (16051 posts) -

GabeRamos
is not possible... and by legally I think he means without hacking the wii (thus I do not think that is possible atm, that hacking) Also, the "loading" time would pry be the same from the SD card, and you would not be able to put it on the HD. And the loading time is really short.. :) sorry thus...