can the wii u play blu ray 3d movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

can it do 3d or not?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
It doesn't even play blu ray movies
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

really? ok thanks

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays.
danavsbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danavsbelly
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
yeah,i think so,It doesn't even play blu ray movies ,thanks
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
pretty sure once it gets modded it will get some type of bluray player in it... since the original wii had a dvd player in it. Idk why you can't watch blu ray on it though cuz really the discs are blu ray discs -_- just a side note but the wii u only has 5.1.. not even 7.1 :(
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

can it do 3d or not?

monson21502

No.

It can't even play Regular Blu-Ray movies or DVDs...or even CDs.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays. AutoPilotOn
It makes sense. Paying for regional licensing would have forced Nintendo to jack up the price of the console. If anyone wants to watch Blu-ray movies, they likely already have a player. If not, they cost all of $60-80.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays. Zeviander
It makes sense. Paying for regional licensing would have forced Nintendo to jack up the price of the console. If anyone wants to watch Blu-ray movies, they likely already have a player. If not, they cost all of $60-80.

I use my PS3 for blu rays. Its one of the reasons I bought it. It would of been nice to have a 2nd blu ray player.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays. AutoPilotOn
its nintendo. its no surprise. =/
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

can it do 3d or not?

No.

It could in the future with a firmware update, same as the PS3 and 360.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays. Zeviander

A dollar, it would have cost them a dollar per console

Is there any particular reason you think that people would be willing to pay 299.99-349.99 and not 300.99-350.99?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]

can the wii u play blu ray 3d movies?

can it do 3d or not?

donalbane

No.

It could in the future with a firmware update, same as the PS3 and 360.

The 360 can't do 3D Blu-Rays or regular Blu-Rays with a firmware update because it doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive.

It's possible, although unlikely based on Nintendo's history and stance, that the Wii U could get an update to play 3D Blu-Rays though.

I wouldn'trecommend to someone to buy a Wii U for that possibility though. I remember having this discussion many moons ago about the Wii's possible future update to play DVDs for instance. I was possible, but alas it never came to fruition.

Of course, if you are talking about 3D itself, yes, that's true. Although the TC doesn't seem to be interested in 3D so much as 3D Blu-Rays. I was only speaking about Blu-Rays in my post, not about just 3D by itself.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
It doesn't even play blu ray moviesMonsieurX
I just assumed that it could, surprised to find out it can't but I guess that does sound like Nintendo.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]It's lame it doesn't even play regular blu rays. AIIison
You and Monsieur can go **** off and stop trolling us. You know that it would cost extra to get Bluray in the Wii U and Nintendo systems never played DVD/Blu Ray before. So just **** off if you are going to call the Wii U lame.

haha is all I gotta say. Nintendo is not perfect and pointing out something lame is not trolling. Wiiu already uses bluray only extra cost would be licensing. They could do what MS did with original Xbox and make u buy something extra (remote) or maybe a bluray app from eshop for a few bucks that covers that cost.
GunMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GunMonster
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The blu-ray player function used to be an intensive for PS3 buyers, but no more for Wii U, even it'd be nice to have it included.
sum_guy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sum_guy09
Member since 2011 • 668 Posts

i would've been happy paying a little extra $ for a blueray player.. especially if it meant getting a more complete entertainment system. kind of a big deal for ppl that do this thing called travel & can't lug around their ps3, wii u, laptop, etc. so next time i travel ill have to decide: do i want to take my ps3 so ill have something to watch movies on too or do i wanna take the wii u & have to buy some crappy blueray player only to end up giving it away when im done.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="AIIison"] You and Monsieur can go **** off and stop trolling us. You know that it would cost extra to get Bluray in the Wii U and Nintendo systems never played DVD/Blu Ray before. So just **** off if you are going to call the Wii U lame.

:? Monsieur only stated a fact, that the Wii U doesn't play Blu-Ray movies, which it doesn't. AutoPilotOn didn't call the Wii U lame. He said the fact that it doesn't play movies is lame. It IS lame that Nintendo won't pay an extra dollar per console for Blu-Ray licenses, yet they spent god knows how much on Nintendo TV, not to mention that you can use Netflix and Amazon Video as well. You can stream The Dark Knight Rises... but you can't watch your DVD or Blu-Ray of the same movie on the Wii U... which is lame. Derp.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

i would've been happy paying a little extra $ for a blueray player.. especially if it meant getting a more complete entertainment system. kind of a big deal for ppl that do this thing called travel & can't lug around their ps3, wii u, laptop, etc. so next time i travel ill have to decide: do i want to take my ps3 so ill have something to watch movies on too or do i wanna take the wii u & have to buy some crappy blueray player only to end up giving it away when im done.

sum_guy09
You wouldn't have paid extra money, because the cost of putting a license into the Wii U is extremely marginal...
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Nintendo has refused to put even the most basic features in since the n64....do you remember how badly they harmed themselves by not using a disc?

I always buy nintendo systems, but I know up front that they have really specific way of doing things and not to expect them to support x y z features.