Can I install games to external HDD for the Wii U?

DrOstler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrOstler
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Am I able to use an external HDD to install games from eshop on? I'm thinking of getting W101 as my free game and creating a partition on my HDD for it but im not sure if this is possible

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Yes. You just need a USB 2.0 hard drive that is AC powered.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I haven't tried creating a partition for the Wii U, as I'm pretty sure it just formats the entire device. Give it a try, though. It will work with an external HDD and, as PurpleMan mentioned, it needs to be AC Powered. Some USB 3.0 drives are compatible, such as this one. Most of the time, games don't take that much space. I got a sandisk cruzer fit to expand my storage without adding any additional wires and it's working great. Right now, I have Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Injustice, Trine 2, Little Inferno, Mario Kart 8, Lego: The Hobbit, and a bunch of virtual console games on my system between the internal storage and flash drive.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yes. You just need a USB 2.0 hard drive that is AC powered.

There's also certain flash drives that are Wii U compatible. If you're not going to need 200GB+, I recommend the Sandisk Cruzer Fit line. They're cheap and unbelievably tiny. Won't even notice they're there.

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

External hard drives that are AC powered are kinda hard to find now so what I did is I hooked up my USB powered external hard drive to an AC powered USB hub, which only cost 20 bucks and it works great! Give it a try.

ButcherChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 ButcherChop
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: They must be Wii U compatible. I have 2 external HDDs and they both freeze up intermittently and now each time I turn on my Wii U. Nintendo does have a very limited list on their website which will set you back $100. Not cool Nintendo Not cool.

FlasFlash drives will only last so long and you will need to go the HDD route eventually. Play it safe early

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Yep, it's actually been a life saver. I attached a fairly cheap 250gb external drive to it. Holds most of my games since the 32gb they give you is not so hot.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@butcherchop said:

@PurpleMan5000: They must be Wii U compatible. I have 2 external HDDs and they both freeze up intermittently and now each time I turn on my Wii U. Nintendo does have a very limited list on their website which will set you back $100. Not cool Nintendo Not cool.

FlasFlash drives will only last so long and you will need to go the HDD route eventually. Play it safe early

Do your HDDs have their own AC outlet? My understanding is that anything USB 2.0 that has its own AC outlet will work.

ButcherChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ButcherChop

Update: My Wii U was freezing with the external HDD connected.

How to Fix: Moving all games and saved game data to the external HDD has resolved the issue. Someone on YouTube had the same issue and Nintendo support and himself were trying different options. It has worked great and not one freeze up all weekend.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

I don't use an AC powered external HD because I'm an energy-saving freak, and instead use a Y-split cable for my HD enclosure. Since both USB ports on the back are neighboring, it not only plugs in fairly cleanly, but has been working perfectly for me for well over a year this way, now.

Essentially, you don't HAVE to have an AC powered HD, just make sure it gets enough power in general, and a Y-split seems to do the trick.

Jdoggwumbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jdoggwumbow

@PurpleMan5000: I am using a few year old 1T USB powered HDD the that hasn't given me any problems yet. I run fairly large games downloaded from the Nintendo store directly to the device with no issues.

sjimmie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sjimmie
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

I came to this post via Google.

Related question: Is it possible to save entire games from DVD on that same HD? I bought one today for my son, he's got a stack of games.

I'd like to know if it's possible to install those on HD from DVD. I hate those DVD boxes and games get screwd.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@sjimmie said:

I came to this post via Google.

Related question: Is it possible to save entire games from DVD on that same HD? I bought one today for my son, he's got a stack of games.

I'd like to know if it's possible to install those on HD from DVD. I hate those DVD boxes and games get screwd.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

No unfortunately.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

This thread is over a year old.