Calibrating the Wii remote

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoltDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HoltDan
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
How do I calibrate the Wii remote so that the cursor will appear on the place where I am pointing on the TV? At the moment I have to point the controller directly at the sensor for the cursor to appear on screen.
cam2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cam2009
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
How big is your TV? and how far back are you standing?
HoltDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoltDan
Its a 52 inch (16x9) and Im standing about 3 feet back. The sensor is on top.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts

All calibration does is adjust the sensitivity to heat (a.k.a. sensor bar). As long as you don't have any lightbulbs close to the TV your remote will be fine.

And if you're talking about Zelda: sit further back and follow the damn instructions. ;P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
Check your settings and make sure you have the sensor bar set for being on top of the TV, not below it.
HoltDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoltDan

Ok, heres what I want:

Instead of pointing the remote at the center of sensor bar in order to get the cursor in the center of the TV screen, I want to point the remote at the centor of the TV screen in order to get the cursor in the center of the TV screen, as well as any other location.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts
To tell you the truth, you can't. The sensor bar's position is what determines the area of the screen you point at with the Wiimote. I'm sure you could do some weird setup to get it exactly how you want it, but it's really more work than you need to do. The mouse-style pointing works great, and I for one really don't care about pointing at the same spot as my cursor is (as if I'll trace a line to the screen to check anyway.) Topic over.
Guckyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Guckyy
Member since 2007 • 1227 Posts
Maybe if you sing to it...
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Instead of pointing the remote at the center of sensor bar in order to get the cursor in the center of the TV screen, I want to point the remote at the centor of the TV screen in order to get the cursor in the center of the TV screen, as well as any other location.HoltDan

It should work like that if the sensor bar is in the middle of your TV, if the setting is for the top of the TV, and if you're standing farther than five feet away. There really isn't any calibrating to do at all, unless you're concerned with sensitivity.

Edit: After playing a few rounds of Tiger Woods, I can say that Hyper_Shado was right... You do always point at the sensor bar. But it feels so natural that I never even noticed. You'll just have to get used to it.

Pantallica183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pantallica183
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
i think the reason behind it is that your standing 3 feet in front of ur tv. first of all its bad for ur eyes, and second of all thats teh way ur wiimote is gonna act that way inless u step back a couple of feet
Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
read the instructions its only 1 page and if has some pictures so you don't get tired of reading it
MrShenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrShenanigans
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Look everyone. I know what he's talking about. I have hate how in First Person Shooters, I see someone pop up off to the side and I think "I could have easily shot him myself if I could just point and shoot like with a real rifle!" (in the military). I was ecstatic when I heard that Wii had Call of Duty: Modern Warfare based on just such a principle. I was utterly disappointed when I found out that for almost $70, I had to point under the TV (at the sensor bar) to hit anything. It threw me off terribly, because I know exactly where I am pointing and that isn't close to where I am hitting. I hoped to use it for training, because the game is very realistic to much of my experience over seas (sans the suicide bombers). I am so disappointed, just like I think you are, because it is a huge blemish on such a great game. If I could calibrate it, then I would have the perfect game for me. There has to be a way to do this. Does anyone know? Range from the TV doesn't matter. I have tried them all. Above or below the TV (for the sensor bar) doesn't matter. It changes the point of impact, but they are both just as far off. Hurting your eyes??? C'mon. that doesn't even relate to the question at hand. Wii optimum range is 3-10 ft. 3 Ft is within that (but I have tried 10 ft to the same effect. When I point the zapper at the center of the screen (where the enemy is going to be), the curser (and the point of impact) flies way off the top of the screen. Does anyone know how to change the point of impact (cursor location on the screen) in relation to the remote. This guy has a legit concern (as do I) and he is doing everything the manual says. I have checked thoroughly. Can we find an answer for him? I'm going to ask a Nintendo rep. If I find anything, I will let you guys know...
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

The Wii has no settings that you can adjust so that your crosshairs is exactly where you are pointing the remote. Zelda TP, has extra settings that you can use to make it better than normal when you're playing Zelda. I don't know of any other game that does this, but there might be some out there.

MistiMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MistiMouse
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Wow! So even though this particular topic forum is somewhat old, I needed an answer on this topic & was brought here. I have to say that im pretty disappointed in the attitude here. Isn't this FOR getting help with something you just cannot figure out & any provided instructions or manuals have provided no help, or need a quick answer too? Im a little shocked because this is the first forum I have seen with the rudest egotistical know it all "help" (hyper-shado) I too was having an issue with Wiimote calibration. Thanks to this forum I did end up getting the answers I needed but no thanks to the hyper-shado attitude. Do you think that we would go through the hassle of this if we hadn't even read the meesly 1page "damn instructions" (again hyper-shado) provided with our system? Probably not! Theres no need to be such an azz, if someones legitimate question frustrates you so much, dont answer it!...Topic Over! LOL
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Wow! So even though this particular topic forum is somewhat old, I needed an answer on this topic & was brought here. I have to say that im pretty disappointed in the attitude here. Isn't this FOR getting help with something you just cannot figure out & any provided instructions or manuals have provided no help, or need a quick answer too? Im a little shocked because this is the first forum I have seen with the rudest egotistical know it all "help" (hyper-shado) I too was having an issue with Wiimote calibration. Thanks to this forum I did end up getting the answers I needed but no thanks to the hyper-shado attitude. Do you think that we would go through the hassle of this if we hadn't even read the meesly 1page "damn instructions" (again hyper-shado) provided with our system? Probably not! Theres no need to be such an azz, if someones legitimate question frustrates you so much, dont answer it!...Topic Over! LOLMistiMouse

Why did you bump a three year old thread?