Buying games from a store is better then getting them from the eShop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

Okay, when making a physical game, companies have to pay to manufacter it, for the disc, the case, the instruction manual, everything, but if it is digital, they don't, meaning that the price should be lowered, logically.

So tell me, I am being literal, why are the eShop retail games MORE EXPENSIVE than ANY of the 3DS games you can get at the shops.

There is no place where the stores 3DS games are more expensive.

Also, N64 games on eShop thxbai

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
I agree it's better buying them in a store because you can find them on sale or cheaper but as a PC gamer I've grown to love digital downloads. I'm even willing to pay more to not have to worry about carrying cartridges.
Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts
I agree it's better buying them in a store because you can find them on sale or cheaper but as a PC gamer I've grown to love digital downloads. I'm even willing to pay more to not have to worry about carrying cartridges.Moloch121
I too am a PC gamer and I love digital download, mostly because of the value.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Moloch121
You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.jedinat
On the eshop? Yes we do at least I do. >.>
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jedinat
[QUOTE="jedinat"]You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.Moloch121
On the eshop? Yes we do at least I do.

Really? I'm sorry. No taxes for me on the eshop.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Moloch121
[QUOTE="Moloch121"][QUOTE="jedinat"]You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.jedinat
On the eshop? Yes we do at least I do.

What is your region set to?
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jedinat

[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="Moloch121"] On the eshop? Yes we do at least I do.Moloch121

US

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Moloch121

[QUOTE="Moloch121"][QUOTE="jedinat"] Really? I'm sorry. No taxes for me on the eshop.jedinat

US

Same here but from New York. Taxes for me even when I use a 3DS prepaid card.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Yep. It's ludicrious that even the PS Vita can cut about $5 slack on digital, but it's still $40 for Ghost Recon on the Eshop. If I had money to burn, and a way to move my save, I would however repurchase Mario Kart 7, just so I always had it avalible.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jedinat
[QUOTE="jedinat"]

[QUOTE="Moloch121"] What is your region set to?Moloch121

US

Same here but from New York. Taxes for me even when I use a 3DS prepaid card.

I'm on the west coast... I hope your taxes don't migrate over here like with Amazon... *makes warding gesture*
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Okay, when making a physical game, companies have to pay to manufacter it, for the disc, the case, the instruction manual, everything, but if it is digital, they don't, meaning that the price should be lowered, logically.

So tell me, I am being literal, why are the eShop retail games MORE EXPENSIVE than ANY of the 3DS games you can get at the shops.

There is no place where the stores 3DS games are more expensive.

Also, N64 games on eShop thxbai

XxOskarxXTBXx51

It should at the very least be $5 dollars less but it is the same price for it new.  Not to mention there is no cloud system to eShop I know of so once you lose your 3DS not only are the games gone you have on there but the saves too.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
The only DD purchases I make are on Steam, and those are for indie games. I don't really trust Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo with DD because those files may not always be there, and when I try to transfer them over to their next console/handheld, there is no telling if they'll charge me or not.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="jedinat"]You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.Moloch121

I get taxed too. >->

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Moloch121

[QUOTE="Moloch121"][QUOTE="jedinat"]You don't have to pay sales tax on digital downloads. There is that.Bubble_Man

I get taxed too. >->

Changed my zip code to 99551 in the eshop which is an Alaskan zip code. No taxes on Fire Emblem! I always thought changing it settings on the 3DS was enough. >.>
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

The only DD purchases I make are on Steam, and those are for indie games. I don't really trust Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo with DD because those files may not always be there, and when I try to transfer them over to their next console/handheld, there is no telling if they'll charge me or not.Minishdriveby

This is my problem too. Steam lets me take all my games with me, but transferring Nintendo games is a lot harder.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I too, think its absolutely stupid.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I'm afraid this is a sad reality. I had write Nintendo on this several times but they are just "looking at the issue", as their general policy is to price the games on the eShop at the same level as on retailers (full price I mean). Here in my country is ridiculously expensive so, all my hopes on having easier access to digital downloads went crushed when NSMB2 launched :( I really hope they realize soon how much are they losing by not promoting adequately digital purchases.
HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

eShop has to price more competitively in the sense that they're charging the same (in some cases more) as the retail physical copy. That and the fact Nintendo makes it difficult to just swap and play... you have to have your personal 3DS unless you transfer your profile over. What a pain! Seeing what is happening with the Virtual Console on WiiU and people I believe not being able to carry over their purchased games.... that's pretty sad if I read the article right (and charging people to buy it a second time). 

At the moment I would say PC games are the only reliable way of DD given most will allow you to keep your games even if they go bankrupt (Steam for example). Consoles and Handhelds still light years away from catching up to PC in that aspect.

Of course collection comes into account. I enjoy having my handheld games in physical forms, but I haven't bought a retail PC game besides Diablo 3 since probably Diablo II :P.  

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

theres your problem you live in new york one of the worst taxed states in the usa and just to live there you gotta be rich and ya i agree though i dont pay tax on eshop , i d rather have my collection , and not having to worry about buying more sd cards lol