Buying a DS for a 3 1/2 year old, need help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts
I am buying a DS for my little girl. She always wants to play my 360 and PS3 with me, and just recently started looking at all my video game magazines, so I figured she would love to have her very own system. Anyways, What kind of accessories should I get with it? And what games should I get? Remember it is for a young child. I was thinking nintendogs, but I am unsure what the game is even about. If I get nintendogs, which version should I get, I noticed a BUNCH of different ones.
Paully3433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Paully3433
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
The only difference with Nintendogs is the breeds the game has, for a 3 1/2 I don't know what games will really reach her age, the DS is probably still the best choice since it does have alot of kid friendly games. I would do some research on here with the ratings and see what you can find for games.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 snyper1982
Well I am definately getting nintendogs, but the sheer volume of games for the DS, makes it extremely hard to wade through them. The fact that I have never owned or kept track of the DS or it's upcoming game releases makes it all the more difficult. I appreciate your info on nintendogs though. I saw that they have some diego and dora games, maybe I will just picke her up nintendogs, and one of those games. I assume they are crappy games though, so if anyone can suggest another game besides the dora or diego games, I would greatly appreciate it.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 snyper1982

The only difference with Nintendogs is the breeds the game has, for a 3 1/2 I don't know what games will really reach her age, the DS is probably still the best choice since it does have alot of kid friendly games. I would do some research on here with the ratings and see what you can find for games.Paully3433

BTW, she plays The SImpsons hit and Run on my sisters GCN a lot, and I have let her play Assasins Creed and Uncharted on my PS3 and she did OK for being as young as she is, but I would like to get her a game that she can pick up easily, and play and have fun with.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

they would pry close this thread... (there is a recommendation thread stickie...) but...

I think that Mario would be good. I have a 5 yo lil cousin and he is pretty good at it. And if she was good with uncharted and assassins (which btw imo she should not be playing ... do not flame me :P ) she would be goo with mario.

and the one of small dogs if Nintendodogs is love my one of my lil cousin (she is 7, but... )

hope that help.... i can not think of more games for kids now...

EDIT: oh the Kirby ones... they are really cute and fun... imo :D

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#6 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9177 Posts
I would Reecommend Chocobo Tales for the DS becuase you can use the touch screen for most of the mini games and gameplay and very imaginative and creative for anyone who's into Fantasy.
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 snyper1982

I would Reecommend Chocobo Tales for the DS becuase you can use the touch screen for most of the mini games and gameplay and very imaginative and creative for anyone who's into Fantasy.benleslie5

I don't know about a FF game for her. I just don't think she would understand what is going on.

silver_986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 silver_986
Member since 2006 • 750 Posts
I sugest Mario Party Ds, Wario Ware and Nintendogs eigther Lab and friends or Dalmation and friends. It depends witch breed she likes, types of dogs.
bionisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bionisam
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Mario Kart, and Yoshi's Island might be good ones...

You will either need to buy some replacement styli, or find some way of tethering the stylus to the DS, though. Even my 10 year old brother loses some :P

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
If you can find it, maybe look into Quickspot. You are given two pictures, and you have to pick out what is different between the two.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e
deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#11 deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e
Member since 2006 • 1311 Posts
Also animal crossing is really good for a young child.
Matdredalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Matdredalia
Member since 2006 • 197 Posts
I wouldn'y really reccomend Nintendogs or Animal Crossing, as they require daily upkeep. If you don't visit your dogs for several days, they are starving, thirsty, and very dirty. You then spend anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes just getting your dogs back into decent health.

As for Animal Crossing, she'll be pulling weeds for an hour if she doens't pick it up for several weeks, or even if she just doesn't bother to pick her weeds daily. Very tiring on a 3.5 year old, methinks. However, if your little girl is one of those kids who is very staunch about her gaming and will stick with it, Animal Crossing is very family friendly and fun for little ones.

Some games that I think are stellar for kids are, amusingly enough, remakes of old cla$sic games I played when I was your daughters age. I would highly reccomend getting a copy of Tetris DS as it is challenging for children, but at the same time helps them with creative, quick thinking and hand-eye co-ordination. I've played Tetris since I was 3, and it is still one of my top 10 favorites.

Another great one is the NEW Super Mario brothers. The mechanics are quick and easy, and VERY fun.

I also would reccomend picking up several GBA games, including, but not limited to the Final Fantasy 1 & 2 remake & the Legend of Zelda Four Swords cartridge, which is a combination of Four Swords + "A Link To The Past" from the Super NES. Final Fantasy 1 & A Link To The Past were two of my absolute most favorite games as a kid, and while there is a bit of reading in them, it can actually be very beneficial -- it encourages the child to want to read and gives them tangible, quick results in their progress. Yes, I admit it, I learned to read via FF1.

MarioKart is, of course, a must for any DS owner, big or small. Very fun, easy to learn, and just an all around great game.

And, out of the "newer" games category....Cooking Mama is absolutely awesome, and would be perfect for a little one since you can whip out most recipes in 2-4 minutes, and get quick, tangible results. The only downside to this is the fact that it uses the touch screen EXTENSIVELY, so for the love of all that is good, get some screen protectors! And make sure to remind her that the screen is very sensitive so there is no need to jab at it or touch it hard.

Also, Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales is an absolutely amazing game, no matter what age the person is. A 3 year old and a 80 year old can enjoy the game just the same, as it is comprised of very cute graphics, cute Final Fantasy adaptations of old fairy tales, and a very simple, but fun battle system via "card battles". The mini games are also a total blast and can even work your brain at times. While the game was actually geared towards little ones, I've found it quite enjoyable myself, so if you steal her 2nd save slot, don't be embarassed! :) Again, this one uses the touch screen quite a bit. I reccomend looking it up on GameSpot if you're a bit confused about what I'm talkinga bout, lol. Though really, looking up all reccomendations is a good idea! :)

If you want any more suggestions, feel free to drop me a note.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
The only difference between Nintendogs is what kind of bread of the dogs you get. I would go for Super Princess Peach, it's basicly like mario, but with peach.
pop_tawt_land

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pop_tawt_land
Member since 2006 • 349 Posts
Animal Crossing seems like a great choice at first... But three year olds can't read! That game is all text based unless you don't want to make any money or buy anything. My sister tries to play my ACWW (she's four) and she just runs around for twenty minutes then gives it back to me. New Super Mario Brothers is a great choice though.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

hmm, well besides Nintendogs, I have to second the Kirby recommendations. Other games that come to mind are New Super Mario Bros. (it comes with a slew of really fun minigames, besides the main game) and Mario Kart DS. Someone said Yoshi's Island DS earlier and the only problem I have with that (I own the game myself and love it to death) is that after the third world it gets REALLY tough imo. I'm just thinking that it would really be a bummer if she got to that point and lost interest because she kept losing. But that's just my two cents. I think she'd be really happy with any of the games I recommended.

Merry Christmas!

LusikkaMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 LusikkaMage
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts

This is hard to answer, mainly because all of the DS games I've played have had text.

My bf's 4-year-old cousin Natalie likes to play my copy of Picross, even though she doesn't play it strategically, it's more of a "click blocks to reveal a picture" game. She also likes My Sims for the Wii, but both Wii and DS version use text for the characters communicating.

People who are suggesting games should also keep in mind the motor skills of this age group, since Natalie can really only move around and maybe press "A". She likes running around on Dragon Quest Rocket Slime because it's bright and cute, but she can't really play the game for the game, so while animal crossing would be pretty decent in this respect, the characters on there also only use text for communication.

The virtual pet games would probably also be good, be it Nintendogs or one of the Petz offshoots (though don't buy Animates, it's very poor).

Bomberman may possibly be a good game (though get Bomberman and not Bomberman Land Touch)... it's game-play is very simple and the charcters are bright and cute, though the AI is pretty unfair in any bomberman game, even on easy.

It is very hard to know if any of the games made specifically for young girls are good since most gaming sites don't even bother looking at them, but you might check out user reviews for the Barbie, Bratz and Hannah Montana games ( if you want your little girl to get into THOSE types of games >_> ), and games based on random cartoons on tv.

Don't forget that the DS can also play GBA games! It already has a big library of games.

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Why not an educational gaming system such as the ones from leapfrog.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Try getting her the Crayola Treasure Adventures---it's basically coloring on your DS (don't forget to put a protective screen on it since the game is basically coloring and scribbling a lot on the DS screen). It's fun and my daughter loves it cause she can color and such. Keeps her entertained. :)

I am buying a DS for my little girl. She always wants to play my 360 and PS3 with me, and just recently started looking at all my video game magazines, so I figured she would love to have her very own system. Anyways, What kind of accessories should I get with it? And what games should I get? Remember it is for a young child. I was thinking nintendogs, but I am unsure what the game is even about. If I get nintendogs, which version should I get, I noticed a BUNCH of different ones.snyper1982

jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts
my little sister loves warioware touched, its pretty easy for anyone to play.
SUKMAIPAGODA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SUKMAIPAGODA
Member since 2002 • 86 Posts

My four and six year old enjoy Warioware, nintendogs, and Cooking Mama the most.

naimneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 naimneto
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

Kirby and the canvas curse is very cool, easy to pick up,is just draw and has a long lenght,but is she like very smart for her age, because 3 years is very litlle; but if she is ,just like more like people of her age: wario ware,cooking mama theyre all very enjoiable, but still let her play with you, videogames can be a family program..... Sorry for my terrible english.

Game_Druggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Game_Druggy
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts

Try to stick with games published by nintendo, Those are useally kid friendly

jessehh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jessehh
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
get her a beat up "phat" ds and if it doesnt get murdered in a few months get her a lite, as for games i dont why but kids loves this seires of games, horsez,dogz,catz,hamsterz, and disney games like hannah montanah, high school musical?
dsmomma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dsmomma
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I'm new to this, so this is helpful, as I am looking for some games for my 4 1/2 yo son. He LOVES Monkey Ball, tires easily of Nintendogs and Cooking Mama. I'm hoping the Mario Kart will be more to his liking. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
jb_22vols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jb_22vols
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts
I got my 4 year old cousin the game "Smart Girl's Playhouse" and she can play it and likes, I even think IGN gave it a 7. So you may want to consider that.
Thunderball37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Thunderball37
Member since 2007 • 1033 Posts
I've taught my 6 year old brother how to play mario. I say super princess peach ( why didn't anybody think of that?) and sonic, Mario, there are little kid games they have a cabinet at samestop that says in big letters CHILDRENS GAMES and that will help you a little. If you can find anygame that is'nt too violent or T-M rated you should be fine.I hope this really helped you. Even zelda is good. Pokemon is great and kingdom hearts.