bought ds lite plus brain age, big brain

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CARL
Member since 2002 • 651 Posts

i havent gotten big brain yet,

brain age is ok, the sterile environment is a bit boing, but i guess i can understand why it's there, some tasks wouldnt work that well if it looked very colorful i guess, since u need to pay attention

why u need to unlock a lot of the tasks? as it is, there's too few from the beginning

the music is very midi... but still ok

the doctor is talking a lot, and repeating himself a lot... his talking even slows down the game... every time u reenter a task, ull hear the doctor sayig the same old line, something like "ive already saved ure progress for today, but u can go ahead and do the task anyways" or something like that... and after that ure allowed to start the task... it should have been possible to turn off all of the doctors advices, everything the doctors says...

it would have been better if u could use the doctor as a dictionary or something like that, where u could ask him what would be the best way to work the different tasks, or something like that, instead of hearing the same old same old "this activates the prefrontal cortex jada jada"

on the whole it's a nice game, and the ds lite is a great piece of hardware for this type of game, i like two screens now... although i still guess it's not for that many games...

hmm... i don't think there are any other games id like to buy now...

anyhow, id say this is a great game, and i hope big brain is just as good

Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
Those two are great, but there are much better games that you should check out for the DS (MKDS, NSMB, Pokemon, FFIII, ACWW, etc).
masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts
i really need to try that game
mtburdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mtburdell
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts

I have Brain Age and just got Mind Quiz. I don't think it deserves as low a rating as it got...it seems about on a par with Brain Age to me. The problem with these games though is what the poster above alluded to; there are better and more fun games to play so once you get over the newness of the game you'll likely pick something else to play over brain age when you have an hour or so to sit down and play your DS. I had played Brain age every day when i first got it but then got into other games more; EBA, Mario Kart and others so when i went back to play Brain Age after not playing for a month the professor said 'and who are you again?' ---that was kind of funny but that's the main problem with these games; they are ok but a little like just doing math problems out of a book and a little dry.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CARL

yeah, i agree, i guess that is one of the drawbacks, that it feels like doing math... but i think big brain is a bit more fun in that regard... although i haven't gotten it yet...

personally i don't have anything against that it's like doing math... but it feels like there's not that much too it, and if u buy brain age in europe it's like double the price, so having so few tasks to choose from isn't that great... but i think big brain is better in that regard as well, although not with much...

i saw some video of the big brain game for wii, i mean, a lot of those minigames could easily be made for the ds... i like that in the wii game u are sort of like presented with one minigame after the other without any interuption, maybe big brain for ds is the same... the tasks on the wii game also seems more fun... they should make that game for ds and have like... a hundred instead of a measily 16 that the big brain game has :)

so more brain games for ds! :)

Avatar image for AlphonseElric23
AlphonseElric23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AlphonseElric23
Member since 2006 • 991 Posts
Brain Age looks extremely boring...-_-
Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts

Brain Age looks extremely boring...-_-AlphonseElric23

You'd be surprised, it's really fun if you like any type of puzzle game. 

mtburdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mtburdell
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
I guess it's supposed to be like working out or running laps or something like that; it can be boring but the motivation is to exercise your brain, to think fast and make your brain quicker. (although if i want to do that i can play EBA or any number of other games i would think!) ...but yea it's just that when you sit down to play Brain Age may not be the first game you want to pick up. Like any exercise though if you decide to give it 20 minutes or so a day and stick with it I guess it serves it's purpose.
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CARL

hm, yeah, i guess... btw whats eba?

i think that the big brain game is actually fun too though...

the brain age game just felt... healthy ;-)

ok, so both are good, and there are some drawbacks with the big brain game too... like, why can't the game save ure brain weight result that u get from the training program from the first attempt every day, just like brain age does wih ure brain age? and show it next to ure name at the start up

and one thing that was pretty neat with the brain age game was that u held it like a book, pretty funny, but on the other hand the big brain tasks are more suited for holding the ds in the normal fashion, so...

u also don't use the mic at all, and some tasks feels a bit weak, although they still are challenging... luckily there's no boring "how many red numbers are there on the screen?" tasks like in brain age

on the whole it feels like the brain age game utilises the functions on the ds hardware more interesting than big brain, but i have to agree, that it didn't always work as good as it should have, and using a numbers pad as u do in big brain is both quicker and more accurate than the brain age game's writing the numbers with the pencil, though i suspect that it's a better way to learn when u use hand writing as well...

anyhow, i like that they are so different, but big brain is clearly better in most ways, pitty that it doesn't show ure current brain weight at start up though...