Boom Blox GS Review!! OMG.... :(

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/pqrs/review.html?sid=6190544&tag=recent_updates;title;0

i'm dissapointed

i thought this game would be atleast AA

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Definitely surprised by this.
epayps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 epayps2
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts
Wow.... I didn't expect that.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

Wow, way to go gamespot :|

Annoying characters? WTH!

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

well atleast the game is AA in GR

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
This is so funny. I blasted this game a week ago and called it kiddy and everyone including the MODS were on my back. I bought it today and have played it non-stop...i totally love the game....and now GS kicks it with a average score, and practically calls the game kiddy in its review. I cant win.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/941974.asp

Nothing to be sad over. Gamespot's in the minority.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

See I thought GS would score Boom Blox a 7 last week... then the flood of great reviews poured in and my expectations rose.

I had no interest in the game, but I was hoping for a higher score after the 10s and that A+ by 1UP.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

Not surprised at all...

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz

See I thought GS would score Boom Blox a 7 last week... then the flood of great reviews poured in and my expectations rose.

I had no interest in the game, but I was hoping for a higher score after the 10s and that A+ by 1UP.

TDLlama

Do you think their review is more superior than all the others?

Because it's been a AA-AAA game from all the other reviewers.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I don't really care how it scored, to be honest. My image of this game was formed long before I read any reviews.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
lol did they just count down for being repetetive...in a puzzle game?!? thats just stupid
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts

Not surprised at all...

Niff_T
Sadly enough, I'm not surprised either. This is the sort of thing I've come to expect from many Gamespot reviewer's. Even if the game itself is viewed as great and most likely is great, they stick a 7 to it, probably because it's too "kiddy" and it has one of those shovelware titles (even though it isn't a shovelware game itself). You can see the opposite happening too, I don't think No More Heroes deserved an AAA score, it was full of problems and was probably an 8.0 or something around that but Gamespot gave it way too much credit (probably because it was full of blood).
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
[QUOTE="TDLlama"]

BioShockOwnz

Do you think their review is more superior than all the others?

Because it's been a AA-AAA game from all the other reviewers.

No, definitely not superior than all. I seriously thought everybody (IGN, 1UP, etc) would be giving it straight 7s, but then the praise for this game surpassed my expectations and then surely GS would give it an AA since they've been scoring games pretty high lately.

Alas, GS decided to go their own way and lowball it... but Boom Blox is looking like a solid AA, maybe even AAA.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Meh, who cares. I'm still getting it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
I didn't know anyone took Gamespot reviews seriously.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
I haven't played the game yet, but I did expect better. GS hasn't shown me yet that they will discriminate against a game because it's "kiddy." Take a look at Zach and Wiki, they judged the game based on its gameplay, as I expect a reviewer to. I'm not going to form an opinion until I play the game, but I think people are over-exagerating. A site that gives WarioWare: Smooth Moves one of its only AAA scores should be applauded for breaking the mold, and the breaking of the mold shouldn't only be discussed when a game gets a disappoint score, especially not when the game is still being recommended.
mrcong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 mrcong
Member since 2007 • 3929 Posts
Just another example of the great rift between Gamespot's review team and reality.
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
Its a B+ game. Gamespot scored it a little lower. No suprise to me. I buy it anyway.
mrcong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrcong
Member since 2007 • 3929 Posts

I haven't played the game yet, but I did expect better. GS hasn't shown me yet that they will discriminate against a game because it's "kiddy." Take a look at Zach and Wiki, they judged the game based on its gameplay, as I expect a reviewer to. I'm not going to form an opinion until I play the game, but I think people are over-exagerating. A site that gives WarioWare: Smooth Moves one of its only AAA scores should be applauded for breaking the mold, and the breaking of the mold shouldn't only be discussed when a game gets a good, but still disappointing, review score.JAB991

Keep in mind, though, that both Z&W and WarioWare are well-respected and established franchises, trashing either of them would have gone AGAINST the mold, not broken away from it.

BB, on the other hand, is a new and original IP, and open-game to GS's rabid dogs.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

I still have plans to purchase it however this is a dissappointment :|

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
It's just a 7... why is everyone freaking out about it. Endless Ocean got a 7 too and that's a great game.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

[QUOTE="JAB991"]I haven't played the game yet, but I did expect better. GS hasn't shown me yet that they will discriminate against a game because it's "kiddy." Take a look at Zach and Wiki, they judged the game based on its gameplay, as I expect a reviewer to. I'm not going to form an opinion until I play the game, but I think people are over-exagerating. A site that gives WarioWare: Smooth Moves one of its only AAA scores should be applauded for breaking the mold, and the breaking of the mold shouldn't only be discussed when a game gets a good, but still disappointing, review score.mrcong

Keep in mind, though, that both Z&W and WarioWare are well-respected and established franchises, trashing either of them would have gone AGAINST the mold, not broken away from it.

BB, on the other hand, is a new and original IP, and open-game to GS's rabid dogs.

Zack and Wiki was a new IP also. Even if a game is part of an established franchise though, GS has no problem giving it a score lower than past games of the series. WarioWare: Touched was scored more than a full point and a half lower than WarioWare: Twisted and Star Fox Assault was scored a point lower than Star Fox Adventure.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Well, a 7 is still decent. Guess this is just going to be one of those games that people will talk about in the future in threads that ask: "What is an underrated Wii game?"
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="JAB991"]I haven't played the game yet, but I did expect better. GS hasn't shown me yet that they will discriminate against a game because it's "kiddy." Take a look at Zach and Wiki, they judged the game based on its gameplay, as I expect a reviewer to. I'm not going to form an opinion until I play the game, but I think people are over-exagerating. A site that gives WarioWare: Smooth Moves one of its only AAA scores should be applauded for breaking the mold, and the breaking of the mold shouldn't only be discussed when a game gets a good, but still disappointing, review score.mrcong

Also, Boom Blox has a higher average on GameRankings than both Z&W and WW. It seems like Boom Blox is overall the better game.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts

They blasted the game for its story. Obviously they didn't get it, or refused to get it.

This game is GAMEPLAY, the heart and center of it all. It isn't storydriven, therefore it isn't hardcore, therefore Gamespot has a beff with it.

Screw em and buy the game anyways.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
Well XPlay gave it a 5/5 which is amazing because XPlay is like "if its something with crazy hype it gets a 5. everything else gets a 3"
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
[QUOTE="mrcong"]

[QUOTE="JAB991"]I haven't played the game yet, but I did expect better. GS hasn't shown me yet that they will discriminate against a game because it's "kiddy." Take a look at Zach and Wiki, they judged the game based on its gameplay, as I expect a reviewer to. I'm not going to form an opinion until I play the game, but I think people are over-exagerating. A site that gives WarioWare: Smooth Moves one of its only AAA scores should be applauded for breaking the mold, and the breaking of the mold shouldn't only be discussed when a game gets a good, but still disappointing, review score.BioShockOwnz

Also, Boom Blox has a higher average on GameRankings than both Z&W and WW. It seems like Boom Blox is overall the better game.

How many people have reviewed Z&W and how many people have reviewed BB? Its to early to call right now according to gamerankings.

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
meh, plenty of games that have gotten 7s on gamespot are my favourites, endless ocean, brain age 2, apollo justice...
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Hey, come on. A 7 isn't bad at all! Besides, gamespot's always tough..
Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
Aaron Thomas strikes again... Sure his review is essentially just an opinion like any other, but it's a shame he scored it so lowly especially considering the average review score.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

Well that gave me a good laugh atleast(no where near the Fire Emblem laugh, that was just a sad review).

Anyways I will probably get this game for Christmas.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Well, I honestly dont see how this game got a 7. Regardless, 1up gave it an A+, and G4 gave it a 5/5, and thats enough for me to buy this.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
7.0 is by no means a bad score. Plus, it's getting great reviews elsewhere (A+ on 1UP), so I don't think there's any need for concern. Bottom line, don't let a 7.0 deter you from what seems to be a great game.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Horrible review

Criticising story in puzzle game = lol

spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts

Horrible review

Criticising story in puzzle game = lol

Erebyssial

what there is a story too? I thought it was a puzzle game...

bombman07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bombman07
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
gamespot r wii haters
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

It may have to do with the reviewer. Its no big deal.

The game is fun as hell. Its not like GS is telling you not to buy it. They still think its good. I think they underrated it but whatever.

GO try the game out, I am betting this game will sell terrible because it does not have Nintendo's brand name on it.

JC___2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JC___2007
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

I dislike this negative point:

Can be repetitive.

Well on that basis they should list "can be repetitive" as a negative on Mario Kart because, really, all you are doing is driving a car (or a bike) 3 times around a track. And then doingit again. And again. Yawn. And there's only 32 levels

Didn't they give GTA4 a 10. Surely that is repetitive as its "just" running around shooting people?

What I find is, once I've played a style of game (ie racing, strategy, shooter) for an hour or so, its time for a break and perhaps a new style of game

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cyber-

I dislike this negative point:

Can be repetitive.

Well on that basis they should list "can be repetitive" as a negative on Mario Kart because, really, all you are doing is driving a car (or a bike) 3 times around a track. And then doingit again. And again. Yawn. And there's only 32 levels

Didn't they give GTA4 a 10. Surely that is repetitive as its "just" running around shooting people?

What I find is, once I've played a style of game (ie racing, strategy, shooter) for an hour or so, its time for a break and perhaps a new style of game

JC___2007

well your going way to broad. If you say MKW is repetitive (it is and so are all arcade racers) then so is any great multiplayer game. Look at halo, shoot at mid range recharge shield. In the grand scheme of things there are few deviations from that formula. Boom Blox is a puzzle game and all puzzle games have repetition. The idea is that Boom Blox makes it so every time it has a different resut which makes it cool.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
I still don't get the story part in the review. Does this game even have a story? Anyway it been getting great reviews from the other sites, so it not that big of the deal.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cyber-
though I dont really care because this is prett close to what it should have gotten, the Wii always seems to lack AA on this sight.
arthas242000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#46 arthas242000
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts
Gamespot always does this crap-o. They always seem to underrate awesome games and overrate not-so-good games. For example: Metal Gear Solid 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey etcetera. I guess the reviewers at Gamespot don't want to be seen as people that jump on the bandwagon. Seeing how I'm from America, the land of the free and the home of the wealthy; though I don't agree with your opinion, I will fight to the death to protect it!!
arthas242000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#47 arthas242000
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

Gamespot's rules of thumb on how to review a game:

Can you use chainsaw's to rip opponents in half?

Can you shoot hookers in the face?

Does it have online deathmatch that allows you to shout obsenities at others?

Did they buy advertising space at the site?

... There, it should have been docked at least 4 points already and you guys are complaining about a 7? That was generous of gamespot.

bugsonglass

Haha,..its so true, then again it seems that every site is like that now..maybe except Kotaku.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

lol did they just count down for being repetetive...in a puzzle game?!? thats just stupidriseneclipse

Said this in another thread, it's one of their silliest reviews I've read, they bash the physics for being floaty, something praised in every other review, yet they praise GTA's physics, which are great until you blow something up, then everyone flies 200ft into the air. Yeah really realistic. They bashed the characters and the story, yet I bet if it didn't have one they would have bashed it for not having one, and the levels for feeling to empty. Also since when did puzzle games need stories? Also the lack of detail? It's a game about blocks.What kind of detail do they expect. And I love how they compare it to his films at the end, how stupid. Just because Steven Spielberg came up with the concept doesn't mean it's going to be anything like his films.

shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#49 shaunmc
Member since 2003 • 1957 Posts

Is anyone even paying attention to the word under the 7.0? It says "good." We're calling it a good game. OMG THEY HATE TEH BLOOM BOX!

Really, now.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/boomblox

85 on metacritic - not sure what game Gamespot was playing but I'm getting it.

Phil