Big Wii Suprise this morning almost makes me certain

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bam2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bam2000
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
Well when Reggie first said there will be a suprise at the end of Sebtember. I first thought that there will be a Mario Galaxy Demo... Now this shows me all the possiblites Nintendo has (by relesing a video on the Wii Ware) so its pretty convincing if they put a demo out... I just hope its at the Middle of September with the lack of releses
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
I would love a demo. I would play it 99 times
ryustruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ryustruck
Member since 2005 • 3016 Posts
i could definitley see the launch of WiiWare a possibility for september. (i hope so at least)
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
well its possible, because you downloaded the channel but you didnt actually download the content on the channel. Hence the reason you need to be connected to the interenet to view the vids. Since Nintendo works with gametap for the online system, we could get a system similar to gametap where you download the player(channel) but actually play the game online, instead of downloading it.
bam2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bam2000
Yeah that makes sense but it also gives a possiblitie for Online Demos and alsoI think it would also decrese the size of the download
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
I think it is gamespy they work with not gametap.
halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts
What is WII WARE????
bam2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bam2000
its the download service for the Wii where its not VC games
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

well its possible, because you downloaded the channel but you didnt actually download the content on the channel. Hence the reason you need to be connected to the interenet to view the vids. Since Nintendo works with gametap for the online system, we could get a system similar to gametap where you download the player(channel) but actually play the game online, instead of downloading it.Sepewrath

I thought they worked with GameSpy, which is totally different.

And WiiWare is totally possible in September.

Just_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Just_Snake
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts
That would be cool I guess.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath
I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.
JonDohJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JonDohJersey
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
What is WII WARE????halo3-player
Like the internet channel or the voting thing
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.Sepewrath

YOu're not going to be able to play a game remotely, without executable code on the system, unless you're playing a flash or java based game or something. The internet just doesn't work that way, even with the "space age technology".

ds_wiirocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ds_wiirocks
Member since 2007 • 426 Posts
didnt it come out in july?
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
I would really love to see demos start making their way onto the Wii! I think it would be awesome marketing!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.Spelunker

YOu're not going to be able to play a game remotely, without executable code on the system, unless you're playing a flash or java based game or something. The internet just doesn't work that way, even with the "space age technology".

Do you mean remotely as in not at all, or are you talking about the wii remote, because in either case, I dont think your right.

ravemast117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ravemast117
Member since 2005 • 486 Posts

Still, even if demos did come along, what about the problem with memory?

rudynofear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rudynofear
Member since 2004 • 77 Posts
The addition of any new channels will be a welcome addition
Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts
a demo would be nice, but why so close to the release?
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spelunker
[QUOTE="Spelunker"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.Sepewrath

Do you mean remotely as in not at all, or are you talking about the wii remote, because in either case, I dont think your right.

"Not remotely" means "not at all".

And it's true: you can't play the game unless you have it on your system. Your whole notion of a 'hub' doesn't really make any sense, and isn't really applicable anyway: what you downloaded for Metroid were movies. You can watch movies over the internet, without them being local. You can't do that with an entire game, unless it's an applet or flash include. For a Wii demo to work, you'd need to download the code for the game.

What you downloaded today has nothing to do with demos, and in no way, shape, or form "makes them a possibility".

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
[QUOTE="Spelunker"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.Sepewrath

He means you can't stream demos over to your wii. The most you could stream would be videos or music.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't call the previews we got today a big suprise. It was nice to get, but it's not that big of a suprise. The best thing about today was the announcement that Super Metroid was coming to VC and that really wasn't a suprise since someone already found out about SM coming in advance.

harleyrulesall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 harleyrulesall
Member since 2005 • 1617 Posts
the suprise by the end of sept. is the check mii out channel
fowler75291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fowler75291
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I wish the MP3 preview was a demo. If they start making demos...how much will they cost...free?

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

the suprise by the end of sept. is the check mii out channel
harleyrulesall

I dont see how its a surprise if we know that its coming.

A demo would be pretty cool, but a Galaxy channel(much like the Metroid one we got today) would be fine with me.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
well its possible, because you downloaded the channel but you didnt actually download the content on the channel. Hence the reason you need to be connected to the interenet to view the vids. Since Nintendo works with gametap for the online system, we could get a system similar to gametap where you download the player(channel) but actually play the game online, instead of downloading it.Sepewrath
Wiiware runs of the Shop Channel. There isn't a new one.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

I would love a demo. I would play it 99 timesSants412

why not 100? :P a demo would rock.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts
They have a video in Wii Ware??? When did this happen?
whitmanbball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whitmanbball
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what is Wiiware? My computer has been busted for weeks so I haven't been able to stay current.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what is Wiiware? My computer has been busted for weeks so I haven't been able to stay current.whitmanbball
Games made for Wii but on a smaller scale. Think Xbox live arcade and you've got the picture.
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Spelunker

[QUOTE="whitmanbball"]This might be a stupid question but what is Wiiware? My computer has been busted for weeks so I haven't been able to stay current.nintendofreak_2
Games made for Wii but on a smaller scale. Think Xbox live arcade and you've got the picture.

The size games that you could potentially stream files down for, akin to GameTap. MP3, demo or not, would be a whole different story.

And even for the (mostly) simplistic games that GameTap offers..there's a reason why it requires a minimum of 5gigs storage space.

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Spelunker"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.Spelunker

And it's true: you can't play the game unless you have it on your system. Your whole notion of a 'hub' doesn't really make any sense, and isn't really applicable anyway: what you downloaded for Metroid were movies. You can watch movies over the internet, without them being local. You can't do that with an entire game, unless it's an applet or flash include. For a Wii demo to work, you'd need to download the code for the game.

What you downloaded today has nothing to do with demos, and in no way, shape, or form "makes them a possibility".

Can I condredict a mod :-)

Well this shows the oppostie. sure you need a player and some file install on your memory. but the games themselve are not on your computer. You need highspeed to play those games. Also, I downloaded Disicples 2 demo some years ago and I didn't have to install it, it played remotly from StrategyFirst's servers. *edit

*Sure I had to install player, but not the game itself

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Nintendo can find a way to make it less then 5 gigs! :D

---

I noticed the difference between the SSBM kirby and the SSBB one, Is a slight shading in the upper lip. :D

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vnc20100

Nintendo can find a way to make it less then 5 gigs! :D

---

I noticed the difference between the SSBM kirby and the SSBB one, Is a slight shading in the upper lip. :D

WiiMan21

Lol, less than 600 meg you mean :-)

Super_Ska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Super_Ska
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts
I think that being able to download demos for games would be amazing. I really hope that that is the surprise for September, even if it isnt a demo for galaxy, it would be cool if they announced that we would be able to download demos.
SonicTheMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SonicTheMonkey
Member since 2004 • 2709 Posts

Well when Reggie first said there will be a suprise at the end of Sebtember. I first thought that there will be a Mario Galaxy Demo... Now this shows me all the possiblites Nintendo has (by relesing a video on the Wii Ware) so its pretty convincing if they put a demo out... I just hope its at the Middle of September with the lack of relesesbam2000

wasn't he talking about the Check Mii Out Channel? He said that was end of September.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Doubtful, have you noticed how small the hard drive really is? a N64 game takes like 1/12th of the hard drive on the system.
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Spelunker
[QUOTE="Spelunker"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Spelunker"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I thought it was gametap, but it doesnt really matter, its not they are using some space age technology, anybody can use thier system. The fact remians that we downloaded nothing but a hub today, and the content is sent to use through that hub, making demo's a possiblity.vnc20100

Can I condredict a mod :-)

Well this shows the oppostie. sure you need a player and some file install on your memory. but the games themselve are not on your computer. You need highspeed to play those games. Also, I downloaded Disicples 2 demo some years ago and I didn't have to install it, it played remotly from StrategyFirst's servers. *edit

*Sure I had to install player, but not the game itself

Feel free to contradict, but that doesn't make you right.

Much like with GameTap, you're not really 'playing remotely' in the service you're talking about. The game is loaded into temp cache on your side: the software player you install is to allow you to synch with their servers and pull down the game files in a secure manner, and then load them onto your harddrive in a temporary fashion. That's why they quote the average hard drive space needed per game as 1.5 gigs.

And that's the average, including a lot of the smaller, older, simpler games they offer. The more modern games require at least 3-5 gigs of local space for game files to be written to.

All in all, the point remains the same: demos aren't run remotely. These services people keep linking to don't really run the game remotely, they load the necessary game files locally onto your machine on a per use basis. Nintendo can do that sort of thing, but it'd be a little silly (as they already control the means of access through the Wii interface), and there's no reason to not allow you to just download the game and offer the ability to play offline.

The limiting factor, now and until it changes, is storage space. There's no real getting around that very simple point: Nintendo can't do magic. Either they'll offer pratical large scale storage solutions, or there won't be large downloadable demos.

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vnc20100

Much like with GameTap, you're not really 'playing remotely' in the service you're talking about. The game is loaded into temp cache on your side: the software player you install is to allow you to synch with their servers and pull down the game files in a secure manner, and then load them onto your harddrive in a temporary fashion. That's why they quote the average hard drive space needed per game as 1.5 gigs.

And that's the average, including a lot of the smaller, older, simpler games they offer. The more modern games require at least 3-5 gigs of local space for game files to be written to.

All in all, the point remains the same: demos aren't run remotely. These services people keep linking to don't really run the game remotely, they load the necessary game files locally onto your machine on a per use basis. Nintendo can do that sort of thing, but it'd be a little silly (as they already control the means of access through the Wii interface), and there's no reason to not allow you to just download the game and offer the ability to play offline.

The limiting factor, now and until it changes, is storage space. There's no real getting around that very simple point: Nintendo can't do magic. Either they'll offer pratical large scale storage solutions, or there won't be large downloadable demos.

Spelunker

Oh well, at least I tried :)

But the size is still smaller than installing tho whole game on the computer, they could do that with the Wii too so that we could play demos without using all of the storage space.

Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spelunker
[QUOTE="Spelunker"]

vnc20100

Oh well, at least I tried :)

But the size is still smaller than installing tho whole game on the computer, they could do that with the Wii too so that we could play demos without using all of the storage space.

There's a pretty safe bet that any demo of a game like MP3 would be >300MB in size. Off the bat, even if you have no downloads, you have less than 500MB available space in internal memory. If you have more than a couple of games, then there's probably little chance of fitting a demo.

And that's not even taking into account that when you fill up that large a percentage of the internal storage, the Wii doesn't like it too much: the interface slows markedly.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 Garygok
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
I would really love to see demos start making their way onto the Wii! I think it would be awesome marketing!ice_radon
I agree. As long as Nintendo has some titles they have enough faith in to think that a chance to play a demo will lead to a sale.
moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

[QUOTE="ice_radon"]I would really love to see demos start making their way onto the Wii! I think it would be awesome marketing!Garygok
I agree. As long as Nintendo has some titles they have enough faith in to think that a chance to play a demo will lead to a sale.

agree

GameQ22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GameQ22
Member since 2005 • 182 Posts

ummmm... SD Card anyone? USB Harddrive? Memory expansion is already available for the Wii, So large demos are quite possable.

~GameQ

Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Spelunker

ummmm... SD Card anyone? USB Harddrive? Memory expansion is already available for the Wii, So large demos are quite possable.

~GameQ

GameQ22

Not without firmware and software changes by Nintendo, they're not. Those aren't operable storage locations, as currently constituted.