Best way to repair scratched discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by burnsdrew182 (25 posts) -

I bought a Wii off my friend a while ago, but 2 of the games are scratched pretty bad, and are basically unplayable.

I can't play through a game of Mario Party 8 because certain minigames give me a disc read error, and I can't get play Twilight Princess anymore because I get a disc read error when one of the cutscenes starts.

My friend bought it about 5 months ago, so I can get them repaired/replaced by Nintendo.

I was just wondering what the most effective way of cleaning/repairing a disc was. Preferably something homemade-ish. I don't want to go out and buy a whole disc cleaning kit.

#2 Posted by Duckman5 (18934 posts) -
Home-made disk repairing never works.
#3 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
I run the discs under a steady smooth stream of water from the faucet. Then dab it with a Kleenix and let it air dry for a few minutes. I've had a lot of success with that.
#4 Posted by BigWill123 (81 posts) -
I've heard that basic toothpast works. If you get the stuff with crystal it would probably make the scrathes worse. You basically rub it on with your finger and then wipe off the disc with a cloth and your scratches should be filled.
#5 Posted by viva_havarte (312 posts) -

I use a disk skip cleaner I found at GameStop, but there's this thing that fills in scratches like magic, but it`s made for eye glasses though

#6 Posted by Duckman5 (18934 posts) -

I've heard that basic toothpast works. If you get the stuff with crystal it would probably make the scrathes worse. You basically rub it on with your finger and then wipe off the disc with a cloth and your scratches should be filled.BigWill123

It fills it in but does not replace the information that has been scratched out.

#8 Posted by fraz1776 (2269 posts) -

I've heard that basic toothpast works. If you get the stuff with crystal it would probably make the scrathes worse. You basically rub it on with your finger and then wipe off the disc with a cloth and your scratches should be filled.BigWill123

it has worked for me on audio cd's never tried it with a game.

#9 Posted by uzevx (476 posts) -

I breathe on it, the when the lower part of the disk gets foggy i use a tissue and wipe it

although i never had scratched disks on the wii before

#10 Posted by 1Lonehawk (873 posts) -

Scratches in the plastic will NOT remove information burned to the disk. The reason disks skip when scratched is simply because the laser cannot penetrate the "frost" effect of the scratch for one, and light refraction for another.

You can try this (with caution) but I know it will work ( I use this method for cleaning sensitive, mirror finish stuff such as stainless steel and plastic at work). Wet a soft cloth and put just a pinch (and mean a very SMALL pinch, hardly any is needed) of ajax or javax on it. You now create a simple form of rubbing compound.

Place the disk on a flat surface and rub it liberally with the moist cloth with the "pinch" of javax or Ajax on it. (again by small pinch I mean just barely enough ajax to powder one finger tip).

Ajax???! Yes. It's essentially just calcium powder with some detergent in it. The detergent won't hurt the disk like any kind of solvent might. The calcium powder mixed with water now forms a light rubbing (or buffing) compound.

Good luck and I hope you get your gaming going. :)

#11 Posted by 3zoozM (828 posts) -
i got that error message a lot of times with The Godfather, i just eject, and put it back in, it would still say please put the Godfather disk back in or somethin like that, wait a minute, eject again, then put it back in, and it works :)
#12 Posted by roboccs (7847 posts) -

I've used toothpaste on old used PS1 games. I rubbed it on with my finger and scrubbed under cold water with my finger. Then dried it with a soft towel. Sounds funnyand I have no explanation why it works but it has for me.

Good luck.

#13 Posted by aransom (7408 posts) -
I've never understood how people can be careless enough to scratch up discs in the first place.The inconvenience of putting a disc back in its case isn't worth $50 to me. Just don't touch the shiny side of a disc with anything, and you won't ever have to worry about scratches.
#14 Posted by codemasterzxc (417 posts) -
the only game that scratched for me was wii sports cause of the crapy sleve, for some reaon it scratched, the ajax thing works like a charm, its amazing, but yeah do it with caution, a bit to much and ur screwed
#15 Posted by rooneypanzella (25 posts) -
My jeep wrangler had soft plastic windows and I used NOVUS scratch remover/polisher to fix them. It worked like a charm for the windows and I'd be willing to bet it would work for CD's. I'm going out to the shed to see if I still have some and I'll report later. I tried to find a link to show what it is but please don't think that I'm pushing any site's product. You should be able to get it at a local Jeep dealer or even a walmart or target store... http://www.xoxide.com/noscre.html
#16 Posted by elbert_b_23 (8247 posts) -
the only reason answer is not to scratch them up some sometimes it can't be helps, i have tried a few kits that clamed to fix them and non really worked best bet is to get it done by professionally done, i know that for 2$ a disk hollywood video stores has a great machine that does awesome job
#17 Posted by BerserkSauce (25 posts) -
Dude thanks! You are so awesome lol. it seemed very simple and too simple to work but it fixed my spore creature creator!!
#18 Posted by kungfool69 (2584 posts) -

youtube the banana scratch repair as well.

#19 Posted by shortiesp12 (25 posts) -
obviously you dont have kids or brothers n sisters. now do u understand?
#20 Posted by Gaming4You1990 (150 posts) -

this has always worked for me and hasn't failed me yet. Try using Tooth Paste. Just run Tooth Paste over the scratched section, and leave it there for about 2 mins, then wash it off with warm water using your thumb in a circle motion to wash off the tooth paste, or use a soft cloth.

#21 Posted by Gary4safc (77 posts) -

OMFG WOW!..... I had a scratched final fantasy x which is unplayable.... I just did this toothpaste trick.... I put some all around the cd and left for 2 mins to dry then wiped it off with some wet tissue.... The scratches are still there and may of made some more but the game plays as if its a brand new cd. This is fantastic thanks so much guys for this method.

#22 Posted by jippoxd97 (25 posts) -
Thanks a lot man! This fixed my all time favorite game, the legend of zelda, The wind waker. I almost cried when it worked. Thanks again <3