Best DS games for a 5 year old??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jmallen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jmallen99
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

I bought a DSi for my son for Xmas, and he'll be almost 5 by the time the holidays roll around. I'm totally new to the DS myself having shunned portable gaming systems all these years for the "bigger brother" systems.

What are the best games for his age group - games that are the best overall, with suitable content (he won't be playing "GTA: China Wars" - but I might ;), and most importantly will be easy enough to play at his skill level?

Just from a quick search: definitely Mario Kart (he loves the Wii version) -what about Yoshi's Island?, Nintendogs?, Scribblenauts looks promising?,Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks?(I love the Zelda series but I don't know if he'll be able to get into it). Though I dread it, the Pokemon series seems pretty popular. Is it something I should look into for him?

Any educational games for his age group?

I got a DSi for the same price as the DS Lite, and I wanted that model because of the ability to download games online. Any downloadable games worth looking into for him?

Thanks for any helpful replies!

(PS: Is there a way to turn on reply notification, such that if someone replies to my post I'll get an e-mail letting me know? Thanks.)

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Something Mario. NSMB or Kart likely. Although my bosses six year old loved Bowser's inside story, but found it a little hard

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Sonic Collection, Super Mario Bros, Spongebob Truth or Square, Penguins of Madagascar, Mario Party, Mario Cart, All the Lego Games, Chocobo Tails, Batman the Brave and Bold, Marvel Super Hero Squad, Yoshi, Backyardigans, clubhouse Games.

If he's good at video games at that age he might start enjoying the Castlevanias, Pokemon, Nanostray, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles...

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
I know you hate it but Pokemon is the logical choice that new super mario bros and Mario Kart and he'll be set for awhile
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
Animal Crossing.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#6 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Animal Crossing
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • Sonic Rush
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I bought a DSi for my son for Xmas, and he'll be almost 5 by the time the holidays roll around. I'm totally new to the DS myself having shunned portable gaming systems all these years for the "bigger brother" systems.

What are the best games for his age group - games that are the best overall, with suitable content (he won't be playing "GTA: China Wars" - but I might ;), and most importantly will be easy enough to play at his skill level?

Just from a quick search: definitely Mario Kart (he loves the Wii version) -what about Yoshi's Island?, Nintendogs?, Scribblenauts looks promising?,Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks?(I love the Zelda series but I don't know if he'll be able to get into it). Though I dread it, the Pokemon series seems pretty popular. Is it something I should look into for him?

Any educational games for his age group?

I got a DSi for the same price as the DS Lite, and I wanted that model because of the ability to download games online. Any downloadable games worth looking into for him?

Thanks for any helpful replies!

(PS: Is there a way to turn on reply notification, such that if someone replies to my post I'll get an e-mail letting me know? Thanks.)

jmallen99
If he likes words(or if you'd like him to like words;)) Scribblenauts or Super Scribblenauts would be an excellent choice. New Super Mario Bros. Would also be a good one. Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Marvel Super Hero Squad both got good reviews if I remember correctly.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

My God Daughter is a big sonic fan, she likes that you help save cute little animals.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

Kirby games are pretty good for youngsters, too. There are four DS ones -- Kirby Canvas Curse, Kirby Super Star Ultra (a remake of the SNES game), Kirby Squeak Squad, and Kirby Mass Attack. I've only played Canvas Curse (and loved it), but Super Star Ultra or Squeak Squad are probably also great fits. Mass Attack might be a little hard for a 5 year-old.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I'd say Nintendogs, it'll get him hooked on games :P

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Mario Bros seems about right. But make sure he doesn't get addicted, video games in general can be too addicting for kids that age. I mean, look at us, when we're not playing games, we're talking about them. :P
poorb0y215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 poorb0y215
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
zoo tycoon
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Animal Crossing - addictive for children AND adults!

Any of the MySims games

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#14 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Pretty much any sonic or mario game, zelda games may be too hard for a 5 year old. Animal crossing is a lot of fun for all ages, nintendogs is great for for kids. He might also like the lego games, my 7 year old loves lego batman. There are hundreds of kiddies games to choose from.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts
i started playing pokemon when i was five.. so get pokemon. oh and some kirby games.
cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Kirby are probably the best choices.

LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#17 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

The legendary Starfy. Wonderful learning curve, and fun for any age.

vgamefreak225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vgamefreak225
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

Animal Crossing. UprootedDreamer

Yes. Definitely if u don't care about words like jerk and stuff. It's great for little kids.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

The legendary Starfy. Wonderful learning curve, and fun for any age.

LOSTLEAD8R
Yeah I agree with this guy Starfy is not only a great game but it really is fun.We need a starfy 2
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I dunno, are you sure a 5 year old would take good care of a handheld? Seems kinda young.
Matth3wXb0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Matth3wXb0x
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Requires Thinking) - Pokemon (Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Platinum, Black, White)
jmallen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jmallen99

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies! I definitely saw several titles mentioned over and over. I'll have to check some of those out. Now how do I narrow the list? :)

@rubber-chicken: Good advice on video game addiction. Unfortunately, I'm afraid my son has the same "disease" that I do. I was hoping Gamespot was the "spot" to provide counseling on how to overcome thisproblem.:)

@hydralisk86: One of my son's friends actually got a DS when he was 3!! I thought that was really young and the kid would have to be told to be careful about dropping it all the time. I guess we'll see. The DS models seem fairly sturdy, but I'm definitely not buying him a new one if it breaks! :)

blaze4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaze4545
Mario Kart, Super Mario and any of the Nintendogs games would be great !
jmallen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jmallen99

A couple of questions:

New Super Mario Bros (DS): Is the DS version as hard as the Wii version? I'm having a tough time with the Wii NSMB. I don't think my son would have the patience or skill for the DS version if it's just as difficult.

Pokemon: Which one is worth checking out first? I'm totally new to the Pokemon craze (except for Pokemon Snap, or whatever it was called, that came out for the N64 years ago). Which one is best, and should that be the first one my son should play?

Thanks!

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
If you're worried about him dropping it, you might want to invest in a nerf case. It will make it bulkier but has plenty of padding.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

You should be buying a 5 year old childrens books and board games not video games honestly

but i would say nintendogs, mario cart, pokemon maybe (if he knows how to read)