Bad news on wii speak your stuck with it forever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neji122793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 neji122793
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

Well it seems that when u install wii speak ur stuck with that one forever, here is the news

I'm sure you all know of Wii Speak by now, it's the peripheral that can be used with Animal Crossing: City Folk. But there's something odd you should know about it. Straight from Gizmodo, once you buy or recieve a Wii Speak, it's chained to you forever. Wii Speak comes with a 16 character code with allows you to download the Wii Speak channel. That's just it. You only get this code ONCE. If you lose it, sucks for you. Also, this means that when you use the code, this thing will basically be unable to be sold. You can't even buy it to replace an old one, because Wii Speak only works on the Wii that the Wii Speak channel was originally downloaded on.

I'm not saying that Wii Speak is a horrible thing, I'm just saying one of two things. As soon as you get your code, download Wii Speak. And NEVER buy a secondhand Wii Speak. Is Nintendo trying to limit secondhand sales because it makes no money from it? Nintendo is already ahead in the "Console Race", does it need the unnecessary boost at it's consumer's expense? Or is it just trying to stop people from reselling a bundled Wii Speak to prevent any would be loss of profit? Either way, Nintendo, it's my Wii speak, and I'll it if I want to.

So that sucks so just take really good care of it.

from

http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/news-and-notes/103510-nintendo-wii-speak-youre-stuck-with.html

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts

I for one wouldn't want to get rid of my Wii Speak. If I bought it, I wouldn't sell it. I see how this could anger people, but I don't trust used products because anything could have happened to them.

Anything...just think of the possibilities...

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
Yeah this was all over general gaming and system wars last week, Nintendo have got greedy along with some other companies although Nintendo are taking things more into their own hands, apparently the second hand market is the reason they are all living such hard lives at the moment :roll:. I see this causing problems, my first thought was what happens if somebody returns it after they used the code because they are taking advantage of a 30 day money back guarantee.
GamerTron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 GamerTron0
Member since 2008 • 561 Posts
Wii speak can be used 2 swear and yell at people that will be fun.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Wii speak can be used 2 swear and yell at people that will be fun.GamerTron0

only with your friends. Unless a 3rd party developer decides to use it for online.

Anyway i dont really care, im not going to get rid of it.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts

That's somewhat greedy on their part. They're creating an inconvience for people who have a broken wiispeak/need to buy a new one just to make a few extra bucks.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I already made a thread on this when it was announced, after further thought I can only say....

HOORAY FOR NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to show those second hand sellers that you better go to night school because you wont have a job for long.

Thank our lucky stars that one company is willing to stick it to these places that prey off selling second hand games.

k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
well it just sucks if you break it
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I already made a thread on this when it was announced, after further thought I can only say....

HOORAY FOR NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to show those second hand sellers that you better go to night school because you wont have a job for long.

Thank our lucky stars that one company is willing to stick it to these places that prey off selling second hand games.

Jaysonguy

I agree.

TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts
I expected something like this would happen. I'll be picking WiiSpeak up when The Conduit comes out.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
Didn't the Wii Speak channel was out yet.. but is downloading the channel REQUIRED to use the hardware? Wouldn't it be up the game to implement  the use of the Wii Speak hardware?
darthmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 darthmario123
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts
Hopefully nobody's breaks.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

My understanding is that the code is for a channel that can be used in out of game chat.  But, would still work for any game with chat built in (like AC:CF).  If this is correct, then it really shouldn't affect Wii Speak resales.  If I want to talk to someone when I'm not gaming, I believe that's what a telephone is for.  Unless Nintendo provides a way to use the Wii Speak channel while playing any game (backwards compatibility FTW) then it's a garbage channel taking up the precious little space available on the Wii.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
Wow, sux if you break it.
MrUn1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrUn1t
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

absolutely worthless. all this does is cripple the consumer, again.

if it's defective or it breaks (which will happen in many households, period) then we're screwed.

a worthless microphone if this happens. wow, never thought i'd see it. only nintendo can accomplish such a thing.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

if it's defective or it breaks (which will happen in many households, period) then we're screwed.

MrUn1t

No

Then you buy a new one, contact Nintendo about the change, and use the working one.

Just like Virtual Console games from the Shop Channel

Not complicated.

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts
Nintendo is trying to eliminate the possiblity of a third party headset.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Yeah, as someone said this is semi-old news. Idk whatever. I guess it prevents some of the hacking problems Nintendo has had problems with.
Akel777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21 Akel777
Member since 2005 • 999 Posts
yes, this is old. Wii speak channel is just a fun feature anyway, nothing important.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts

Well it seems that when u install wii speak ur stuck with that one forever, here is the news

I'm sure you all know of Wii Speak by now, it's the peripheral that can be used with Animal Crossing: City Folk. But there's something odd you should know about it. Straight from Gizmodo, once you buy or recieve a Wii Speak, it's chained to you forever. Wii Speak comes with a 16 character code with allows you to download the Wii Speak channel. That's just it. You only get this code ONCE. If you lose it, sucks for you. Also, this means that when you use the code, this thing will basically be unable to be sold. You can't even buy it to replace an old one, because Wii Speak only works on the Wii that the Wii Speak channel was originally downloaded on.

I'm not saying that Wii Speak is a horrible thing, I'm just saying one of two things. As soon as you get your code, download Wii Speak. And NEVER buy a secondhand Wii Speak. Is Nintendo trying to limit secondhand sales because it makes no money from it? Nintendo is already ahead in the "Console Race", does it need the unnecessary boost at it's consumer's expense? Or is it just trying to stop people from reselling a bundled Wii Speak to prevent any would be loss of profit? Either way, Nintendo, it's my Wii speak, and I'll it if I want to.

So that sucks so just take really good care of it.

from

http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/news-and-notes/103510-nintendo-wii-speak-youre-stuck-with.html

neji122793

I am not sure why all of the gloom and doom.  I would suspect that if your Wii is linked to your Nintendo account, you can transfer the Wii Speak if you ever needed to replace your Wii.  The same limitation applied to your VC/WiiWare purchases should apply here.  Nintendo isn't trying to screw anybody, but trying to protect their button line.  Let's face it, priracy is now affecting those of us how are honest. 

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
first of all this isn't new info and i don't buy used accessories if i can help it, most of the time nintendo makes accessories/systems that don't brake easy so i can see a wii speak lasting for a while
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Like dotWithShoes and Skie7 said, I was under the impression that the code is only required for downloading the Channel which is not necessary to use Wii Speak in-game features.

If that's the case, a number of people will probably be reselling Wii Speak with the code because they, like me and like Skie, view the Channel as simply a space-wasting gimmicky alternative to a telephone. I would really only want it for the convenience of talking to people in-game. So I really don't see how this puts as much as a crimp in second-hand sales.

Linkthedueler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Linkthedueler
Member since 2003 • 4389 Posts
I don't see the problem, the only thing i don't see as fair is that if it break then you're screwed, they need to find a way to counteract that imo
nubystubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nubystubs
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

Jaysonguy
Selling used games and accessories is big business because modern games and accessories don't usually keep people's interest very long, or the replay value is low (or they just suck to begin with). I mean, there are exceptions. Take the Power Glove for instance. I still use mine all the time... for playing with myself. It's useless for video games.