Bad news about Animal Crossing New Leaf :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The Animal Tracks feature is back. What many thought was a game breaking feature that was implemented in City Folk is returning in New Leaf. The feature was suppose to deteriorate grass and create paths where your character walked the most; however, grass deteriorated faster than it grew back causing your town to become a desert. this feature not only affected grass but snow during the wintertime.

Supposedly they fixed the feature in New Leaf, but such a horrible feature which had a huge backlash from the community should never have been brought back.

tumblr_luf88mxZdO1qko1fmo1_500.jpg

Full blown desertfication of a town in Animal Crossing City Folk.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Let's just hope they really did fix this feature.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I'm sure the devs should learn their formula of grass like they did for their first DS release of Wild World(in that game,grass deterioration didn't exist)
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

The Animal Tracks feature is back. What many thought was a game breaking feature that was implemented in City Folk is returning in New Leaf. The feature was suppose to deteriorate grass and create paths where your character walked the most; however, grass deteriorated faster than it grew back causing your town to become a desert. this feature not only affected grass but snow during the wintertime.

Supposedly they fixed the feature in New Leaf, but such a horrible feature which had a huge backlash from the community should never have been brought back.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Let's just hope they really did fix this feature.

Minishdriveby
Wait, thats what the brown patches scatter across my town was?
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Well if they fixed it, we shouldn't have a problem.
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I sure hope they would
KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts
I have the Japanese version and so far the grass is holding up fine. No dirt paths as far as I can see, but I don't play it for hours at a time like I did with the City Folk version. I think I'll ready a grass pattern just in case. I'll likely be playing the game more once the NA version releases.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Oh this is just awful to have the grass act as real grass would if it's constantly trampled on. I can see if it was an issue of it deteriorating rapidly like on city folk but if they slowed the process down a bit, then it should be fine.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Minishdriveby
Oh this is just awful to have the grass act as real grass would if it's constantly trampled on. I can see if it was an issue of it deteriorating rapidly like on city folk but if they slowed the process down a bit, then it should be fine.nini200
Yeah it really is, especially when you can't buy new grass like in real life or use fertilizer to help it grow like in real life. Apparently when it rains it grows back a little bit, but it is yet to be seen how fast raining causes it to grow. In City Folk once your grass had deteriorated it was an extremely hard process/ almost impossible to get it back.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i think it's a nice idea, i just don't think that, even if applied right, it would work really well. as long as i don't have random pieces of dead grass (or full on desert) in my city, i wouldn't mind.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I think the OP needs to reexamine his definition of game breaking. :roll:

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
This was a useless feature, no need to bring it back, but whatever if they say it's fixed.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Yeah, it was obviously useless and there was no reason to bring it back. However, if they have fixed it, then it is not that big of a deal.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Minishdriveby

I think the OP needs to reexamine his definition of game breaking. :roll:

Euaggelistes
Taken from animal crossing wikia "Desertification, aside from being ugly, can be a game-breaking issue, causing some insects, such as the Dung Beetle, and furniture, such as the Snowman Series, to be impossible to collect due to the loss of snowballs." When a game is about taking care of a town and making it aesthetically pleasing, a defective algorithm that causes grass to die faster than it grows is something that I would consider game breaking. It caused a lot of players to stop playing animal crossing city folk.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I never played City Folk but it seems like from the blogs I've been following that grass wear is a lot slower in New Leaf and it grows back a lot more quickly. So it doesn't seem like it'd be that big of a deal.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Minishdriveby
I never played City Folk but it seems like from the blogs I've been following that grass wear is a lot slower in New Leaf and it grows back a lot more quickly. So it doesn't seem like it'd be that big of a deal.Aquat1cF1sh
Yeah, I've heard that too. It's just a shame that it's back at all really. I was looking forward to it not being in the game.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

How is it "bad news" if they've fixed it?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Minishdriveby

Bigboi500
It's a crap feature that should have been removed.
Zorn_Ate_Thorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zorn_Ate_Thorn
Member since 2008 • 270 Posts

I never played City Folk but that sounds like a terrible feature that I won't be looking forward to. Hope they fixed it so I won't notice it too much.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Minishdriveby

It's a crap feature that should have been removed.

If we only get small worn paths where rain helps the grass grow back at a fast rate I don't see it being any kind of problem.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Hmm, seems like a dumb feature. 

Hopefully they really fixed it. 

RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

I never, ever had that issue with City Folk.  I didn't even know that was a feature.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#22 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I never, ever had that issue with City Folk.  I didn't even know that was a feature.

RoniHot

Me neither, but I visited some towns that suffered badly from it.

My town was mostly intact because I did not play City Folk that much. :P

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I'm not worried about this. With designs being easily available with the QR code scan function, I'm just going to put down tile paths anywhere I walk often. This way, I won't have to look at any grass deterioration.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Minishdriveby

I'm not worried about this. With designs being easily available with the QR code scan function, I'm just going to put down tile paths anywhere I walk often. This way, I won't have to look at any grass deterioration.

Yoweeh
The system is definitely improved over city folk because putting down titles to walk on supposedly doesn't kill the grass this time.
-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

simomate

Wait, thats what the brown patches scatter across my town was?

Guess I never reall thought about it. I thought it was just the design for the ground and always has been there