Anyone else think they should have added a second analog slider?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I understand that Nintendo wants the focus to stay on the touch screen, but I think it would have added a whole new dimension to the 3DS.

With the beefed up graphics, its pretty much a given than we'll see more FPS especially, but then we'll be forced to used the stylus, or stretch our thumb to reach the touch pad......

Your opinions?

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

I don't think handheld gaming is meant to have the intense action of a FPS. It's suppose to have a seperate feeling than a console. That being said, I don't think the 3DS needs a second stick. Also just because it's relavent, the NGP is going a different route when it comes to handhelds. It's the same they took the PSP and one of the main reasons it failed was because the console still did it better because it had the second stick. Of course I think that the NGP is going to be as successful as the PSP but I think the idea of having a portable home console experience is better than actually having it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

A second analogy slider is not needed because the touchscreen can be used for camera control.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

FPS games should stay on PC.

Consoles, and especially hand held ones should be used to play those kinds of games that are best suited for consoles, platformers, puzzle games, adventure games and so on.

IMO, there's just no need for two analog sticks or pads.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17864 Posts
i love the touch screen for FPSs/TPSs. it may not be as comfortable as dual analogue but it more than makes up for it in accuracy and performance. its second only to a mouse when it comes to camera control and aiming imho. so no. if they didnt have a touch screen then absolutely (though id be asking for a touch screen first :P). but they do and its better. i try to avoid dual analogue for most types of games where possible.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

A second analogy slider is not needed because the touchscreen can be used for camera control.

dzimm
That's not convenient for every game though. Anyway, I think 3DS should have had a second analogue stick. This isn't just about FPS's or console experience on a handheld. Does it really matter though? No.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
cluttered button layout is a no no. you either have really small analogs like the PSP, or you have a large, comfortable one like the 3DS. and if you're having issues using the touch screen... then the 3DS is not for you. i mean come on my 8 year old cousin is the size of a 6 year old and he doesn't have problems using the Dpad and the touchscreen.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I think if they had a 2nd it would just be for people that are Left Handed so they can write with there left hand and use the analog slidepad with there right hand.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
Handheld fps = win As Craig Harris noted on ign last e3, the slider is like an iceberg, small on top, giant under water. The device does so much with so little room, no space left for it...for right now at least. Maybe if they ever release a 3nd version, a 2nd analog may be possible then :)
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BrunoBRS

I think if they had a 2nd it would just be for people that are Left Handed so they can write with there left hand and use the analog slidepad with there right hand.

Nintendo_Ownes7
the funny thing about lefties is that most games use touch screen + buttons, so we get the advantage. it's amazing how streamlined and simple a game like golden sun can be when you can mix the use of ABXY with the touch screen controls.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Nope. Pretty unnecessary for a portable, especially given the touchscreen
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

dzimm

I know we all make typos but I got a real funny vision of an analogy slider =)

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

No they should not add another one.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CyberKlown28
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

BrunoBRS
the funny thing about lefties is that most games use touch screen + buttons, so we get the advantage. it's amazing how streamlined and simple a game like golden sun can be when you can mix the use of ABXY with the touch screen controls.

*lefthanded and playing dark dawn*
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

CyberKlown28

so you agree? :P
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
No, it's not necessary for a system like the 3DS. Shame the lack of good battery lasting tough.
specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts

It definatley needs one no doubt, nintendo just forgot. NGP is gonna be sooo bossss.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dzimm

Shame the lack of good battery lasting tough.Rod90

O.K., look, we all know that the 3DS battery lasts around 4 hours with all the settings maxed and around 8+ hours if you disable 3D and turn down the brightness. We get it. So how about we stop bringing it up in every... single... thread... :roll:

Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

If they could fit it on the system, then sure, it couldn't hurt.

gamedude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamedude2009
Member since 2009 • 4657 Posts

[QUOTE="Rod90"]Shame the lack of good battery lasting tough.dzimm

O.K., look, we all know that the 3DS battery lasts around 4 hours with all the settings maxed and around 8+ hours if you disable 3D and turn down the brightness. We get it. So how about we stop bringing it up in every... single... thread... :roll:

Thank you! Why do people keep talking about it?

If they could fit it on the system, then sure, it couldn't hurt.

Nubukon
True dat.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

People keep on bringing it up because they think it will be too much work tinkering with the system's settings to make it last longer even though its pretty simple. Or they keep bringing it up because they dont understand why it cant last long, as if Nintendo dilibertly did this so that people would have to buy the 3DS lite whenever it came around. That might be part of it, but Im sure the rest has to do with them not trying to make the 3DS too big or heavy or expensive (like some people were predicting that it was going to cost more than $300 and complaining about it, so really, people should be glad)

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Yes I think they shoul've added one

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

after seeing some random dude dissect the 3DS I would certainly agree that Nintendo should have added a second analog. The bottom right corner doesn't have much other than the mainboard of tehs system. an extra slider would have fit.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

That might be part of it, but I'm sure the rest has to do with them not trying to make the 3DS too big or heavy or expensive (like some people were predicting that it was going to cost more than $300 and complaining about it, so really, people should be glad)

Gamingclone

If people think that $250 is "expensive," adding the second analog slider will increase the price. The 3DS would have to be bigger to include a second analog slider, and there will be more parts associated with it, reasons for the higher price.

Technology is not getting cheaper as it becomes more sophisticated and advanced, and people should not be surprised if Nintendo releases the successor of the 3DS that costs more. The fact that the cost of handhelds are approaching the cost of home consoles tells how handhelds are becoming like home consoles, and I predict one day the lines will be blurred in a way that the differences between the two is portability and energy use.

If the 3DS is "expensive," then do not buy it at its current price. People are not forced to buy it at $250.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CyberKlown28
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="CyberKlown28"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] the funny thing about lefties is that most games use touch screen + buttons, so we get the advantage. it's amazing how streamlined and simple a game like golden sun can be when you can mix the use of ABXY with the touch screen controls.

so you agree? :P

YEP :D RAGNAROK
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Yes, there's no excuse for one not to be there.

Nintendo really had a chance to take a leap forward and instead that stayed for the status quo

This means that the handheld is still unable to play certain genre's well and it'll be just like the DS where the only action games that are done well are top down RPG/adventure games and 2D platformers.

One control method was fine last gen but it's crippling to users now

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Nowhere to put it and its not really necessary with the touch screen, it can be used for camera control or aiming, making the dual analogue setup unnecessary.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nowhere to put it Sepewrath

So you think that the 3DS shouldn't have two control options on the left side either?

Either a directional or buttons on a side and that's it?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

The touch screen effectively becomes the other one. So I don't think it's necessary.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dzimm

Nintendo really had a chance to take a leap forward and instead that stayed for the status quoJaysonguy

Yeah, they're really maintaining the "status quo" by releasing the first consumer product ever to feature glasses free 3D on a system with unprecedented social networking features (Spot Pass and Street Pass), among other innovations.

"Status quo"? Seriously? :roll:

Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

Handheld fps = win As Craig Harris noted on ign last e3, the slider is like an iceberg, small on top, giant under water. The device does so much with so little room, no space left for it...for right now at least. Maybe if they ever release a 3nd version, a 2nd analog may be possible then :)CyberKlown28

That cannot happen because then all the early adopters of the 3DS wouldn't be able to play the latest games that use a second slider.

I agree 100% with the TC, it was a moronic move by Nintendo not to include two sliders, it was the main complaint about the PSP. As for everyone saying touch screen means no need - there's no comparison for ease of use and functionality, and if every game used the touch screen for camera control then there would be no point in a second screen at all, you may as well take it out and make it a 3D game boy WITH dual analog.