Anybody else not loving the 3DS library as much as the DS one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

I find myself just using my 3DS XL for DS games, likepokemon, GTA CTW, TWEWY etc. I have MK7, OoT, and KI Uprising but they don't get much attention. I am stisfid with my purchase because I needed a new DS regardless, but the 3DS just doens't have epic must have games for me like the DS did. I know the 3DS library hasn't been out as long but I'm still waiting for SSB 3DS, pokemon 3DS, and some epic 3RD party 3DS titles like on DS.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
You're comparing a fairly new system with one that has been out for a long time, of course the DS is going to have more quality games.
Bladebri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bladebri
Member since 2010 • 239 Posts

You're comparing a fairly new system with one that has been out for a long time, of course the DS is going to have more quality games.Toxic-Seahorse

Pretty much this. I've been lucky however as I never owned a DS, so I'm using this time to catch up on some great DS RPG's with my 3DS as I wait for Nintendo to release more games for their handheld.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
monster hunter 3 ultimate
luigis mansion

some decent games are coming

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
dude it's been out for a year and a half, cut it some slack.. it has better games than the ds had after a year and a half of being released.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
luigis mansion

KBFloYd
Bravely Default and Project X Zone got localization announcements?
shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
luigis mansion

FlamesOfGrey

Whatttt? :O

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
luigis mansion

FlamesOfGrey

I don't think Bravely Default got an annoucement but it is said that it is likely to get a release outside of Japan.

JustBoomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustBoomer
Member since 2012 • 188 Posts

I am looking forward to some new games in the future.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I'm looking forward to plenty of games. That being said, I've only ever owned 6 DS games, and I already own 9 3DS games (not counting eShop only games).

cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
luigis mansion

KBFloYd
is braverly default coming for 3DS? i mean, i thought BD was ONLY coming in japan. unless you know japanese then i can understand ur excitement.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm actually enjoying the 3DS quite a bit more than the DS given the same time frame. Seriously, a year and a half out and we have a very strong first party library. Third party is pretty decent too, but could be a little better.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

The DS has been out for how long? 7 or 8 years now? While the 3DS has been out for what? a year and a half? Give it some time, sure the 3DS probably wont get as many games as the DS did throughout its life, but with that said, Im pretty positive that the 3DS will be able to get just as many if not more quality games over the same amount of time. That is of course, assuming the world doesnt end any time soon :P

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Ah. This thread again.

I am enjoying the 3DS so far and still play DS games, but it is unfair to compare ~2 years to ~8 years. I am sure the 3DS will reach the plateau of an awesome library that the DS has enjoyed since its release. There is already a great lineup in the pipes - especially if many games see localization such as Bravely Default. Just give it time and we can have this discussion in another 3-4 years to compare on a more fair playing field.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

It's way to early to say that.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Its got some way better games then the DS had in its first year! I think it will probably end up surpassing the DS or reach about the same level as it did.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

bravely default
paper mario
epic mickey
smash bros
pokemon
castlevania mirror fate
project x zone
luigis mansion

dsrules13

I don't think Bravely Default got an annoucement but it is said that it is likely to get a release outside of Japan.

I hope so! Easy buy for me.

3DS has some fantastic games out and more coming.

In the meantime I need to start Tales of The Abyss.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Give it som more time, some more good games are coming around the corner. Like Fire Emblem, Super Smash Bros., Luigi's Manson, Paper Mario, & many other titles.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Anyone know if there are any recipes or anything like that in the new paper Mario? I loved finding all the recipes.

by the way, I thought it would be kind of cool to have some sort of laminating system, where you could laminate a select few stickers as rewards or something. You could use that sticker in as many battle as you want, but only one time each battle.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Regular DS games are better since they dont freakin rely on 3D constantly like the newer "3DS" DS games.

Avatar image for Userfrigginname
Userfrigginname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Userfrigginname
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Yeah. Most of my games are downloaded E-Shop games. I don't have but a few actual cartridges for the 3ds. The only physical games I have is Tales of the Abyss, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil Survivor 2, Chrono Trigger and Blaze Blue Contiuum Shift 2. I've had other 3ds games off and on, but I usually trade them in for other stuff after a while when I start getting bored with them.
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

The 3DS have about 6-7 must have games at this point were as the DS had 20+ at the same time-frame.

Much weaker library.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

The 3ds library started weak and is now getting stronger. Just be patient the good games are coming.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toxic-Seahorse

The 3DS have about 6-7 must have games at this point were as the DS had 20+ at the same time-frame.

Much weaker library.

JLF1MarkII
Proof?
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

Much weaker library.

Toxic-Seahorse

Proof?

Well it's all a matter of personal taste but most people generally talk about the same few games on the 3DS that admittedly are kick-ass.

Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Resident Evil: Revelations
Kid Icarus
Rhythm Theif
Theatrhythm
Pushmo

There are of course more high quality games on the 3DS but they're not really must have games that makes the 3DS stand out.

The DS had much more of those games at the same time-frame of it's launch.

Ace Attorney
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
WarioWare: Touched
Kirby Canvas Curse
Meteos
Trace Memory
Lost in Blue
Trauma Center
Mario Kart DS
Sonic Rush
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Metroid Prime Hunters

After this 1.5 years of unique fresh game that really used the hardware to it's advantage the library simply exploded with a never ending stream of quality games. The 3DS has had the opposite happen to it where there are no western games on it at all and barely any new announced games in Japan. It all kind of stopped this fall with new announcements. Hopefully some new games are announced in an hour when the Japanese Nintendo direct starts.

I will say that it is kinda unfair to judge the two systems. They are in very different markets. Half of the really unique early DS games would either be E-shop games or simply not be made at all. It was a golden age of handhelds that will most likely never come back due to much more expensive budgets ot simple too small budgets when it comes to E-shop games.

Personally I don't care as I don't have time to play all the kick-ass 3DS and Vita games anyway. It's one thing to say that the 3DS will be weak compared to the DS it's a whole other thing to claim these systems don't have anything to play.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I find myself just using my 3DS XL for DS games, like GTA CTW

Jonwh18
god, I really do hope Rockstar makes a sequel to that game.
risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

Kid Icarus didn't really appeal to me.

I've been playing Tales of the Abyss since launch.

I've spent like 150 hours in ToTa ( 3 playthroughs ) and about 90 hours in Devil Survivor Overclocked.

And a few in SF IV.

I'm planning to get Zero Escape, because it is epic and the reviews are great!

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Eh... I was never in love with the DS's library. I am more content with the 3DS's games. Just because they're more console-like.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I think it's a preference on whether you like handhelds having full 3D models, or if you like handhelds with 2D sprite based artwork. The 3DS has some really cool games out, but personally I just haven't been bother to pick any up. I'm more of a fan of 2D games on a handheld, so I prefer my DS lite over my 3DS. I also like the ergonomics of the DS lite more, so I tend to never play my 3DS.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I think it's a preference on whether you like handhelds having full 3D models, or if you like handhelds with 2D sprite based artwork. The 3DS has some really cool games out, but personally I just haven't been bother to pick any up. I'm more of a fan of 2D games on a handheld, so I prefer my DS lite over my 3DS. I also like the ergonomics of the DS lite more, so I tend to never play my 3DS.

I'm not sure how anyone can like the cheaper feel of the DS Lite over the 3DS. The 3DS feels much more solid and better crafted. It also looks a lot nicer.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I think it's a preference on whether you like handhelds having full 3D models, or if you like handhelds with 2D sprite based artwork. The 3DS has some really cool games out, but personally I just haven't been bother to pick any up. I'm more of a fan of 2D games on a handheld, so I prefer my DS lite over my 3DS. I also like the ergonomics of the DS lite more, so I tend to never play my 3DS.Toxic-Seahorse
I'm not sure how anyone can like the cheaper feel of the DS Lite over the 3DS. The 3DS feels much more solid and better crafted. It also looks a lot nicer.

My biggest complaint about the 3DS's "feel" is the bottom piece which I think is too slim. Whenever I play Mario Kart my hand cramps up from holding the left trigger while steering.

A minor appearance preference that I have is I like the Onyx Black DS lite more than the Cosomo Black 3DS which has more of a greyer-shiny tint to it.

Another reason why I never play my DS games on my 3DS is the change in resolution which distorts DS games image.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I find myself just using my 3DS XL for DS games, likepokemon, GTA CTW, TWEWY etc. I have MK7, OoT, and KI Uprising but they don't get much attention. I am stisfid with my purchase because I needed a new DS regardless, but the 3DS just doens't have epic must have games for me like the DS did. I know the 3DS library hasn't been out as long but I'm still waiting for SSB 3DS, pokemon 3DS, and some epic 3RD party 3DS titles like on DS.

Jonwh18
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy, Amazing Spiderman, Heroes of Ruin, Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Dead or Alive Dimensions... excellent 3rd party games. Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate is on the horizon as well, along with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#35 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Give it some time. The DS had the best library of all Nintendo systems not named Super Nintendo, so it is hard to reach its level, and even harder to surpass it.

Right now, it is too early for comparisons.

cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts

Give it some time. The DS had the best library of all Nintendo systems not named Super Nintendo, so it is hard to reach its level, and even harder to surpass it.

Right now, it is too early for comparisons.

Pierst179
how would you define "early"? is there are particular set of time that must pass before the library can be critiqued for whichever category is chosen? the 3DS came out March 2011 and, apparently, it has been way over a year. is there a way to find out, through a side-by-side comparison, how many games came out for the DS and the 3DS? i dont mean bad or good games, i mean ALL games and only in a specific region (take North America). this way we all can have a better understanding of how 3DS is performing in the market. will it fizzle out or...?
HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

how would you define "early"? is there are particular set of time that must pass before the library can be critiqued for whichever category is chosen? the 3DS came out March 2011 and, apparently, it has been way over a year. is there a way to find out, through a side-by-side comparison, how many games came out for the DS and the 3DS? i dont mean bad or good games, i mean ALL games and only in a specific region (take North America). this way we all can have a better understanding of how 3DS is performing in the market. will it fizzle out or...?cayne_phoenix

It is still early in its life span by definition in comparison to the DS. The DS had a eight year life cycle (2004-2012)if you consider Pokemon Black 2/White 2 its last big title (2004-2012). Eight years is a long time to amass a stellar library and release dates are often a tedious thing when looking back upon eight years. That isn't to say people aren't allowed to critique its library, bur rather that it isn't truly a fair comparison if you're looking at DS vs 3DS. In that aspect it would be fair to give the 3DS another six years and then we can truly see which each brought to the table.

It's too late at the moment to dig for release and sales statisitcs by most sites after playing around can allow you to sort by year and date order if you want to do all the scrolling and number crunching yourself.