any RTS planned for the wii u? u think itd be a good idea?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

some games look like theyd be a perfect fit for a console, and i cant look at the wii u and not think "playing command and conquer on this would be awesome". at least if it was handled the way im imagining.

do you think a rts would be a neat experience on the wii u? if not why not? any specific genre of game you think would be perfect for the wii u?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think that actually would work.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The wii was in a much better position for an RTS than the wiiu is and it never got one. the chances of the wiiu getting one would be even less.

GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GreatExarch
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

RTS games do not translate well to consoles, that is, unless they utilize a mouse and keyboard. Someone would have to more or less reinvent the way those games are played for a controller, or touch screen alone, for it to work.

There are just too many commands, and too few buttons, for things to work out. I remember Starcraft for the N64...the control scheme was a nightmare. Halo Wars was better, I suppose, but after my long stint in Starcraft II, I just couldn't go back to that.

Sure, you could substitute the mouse for the Wii Remote, or gamepad, in this case, but the other hand still won't have quick access to enough buttons for the controls to flow well.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I think it sounds much better in concept than it would be in practice. I like the genre, but I don't think it would be as practical as you would imagine it could be.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Of course, you have the gamepad and Wii remote, two awesome RTS controllers. 

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Can't have any RTS with any depth without a keyboard.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

RTS games do not translate well to consoles, that is, unless they utilize a mouse and keyboard. Someone would have to more or less reinvent the way those games are played for a controller, or touch screen alone, for it to work.

There are just too many commands, and too few buttons, for things to work out. I remember Starcraft for the N64...the control scheme was a nightmare. Halo Wars was better, I suppose, but after my long stint in Starcraft II, I just couldn't go back to that.

Sure, you could substitute the mouse for the Wii Remote, or gamepad, in this case, but the other hand still won't have quick access to enough buttons for the controls to flow well.

GreatExarch
You could just put the map and icons for all of those commands on the touch screen, control the camera with your thumbsticks, and select units and move them from the map on the touch screen. It would work great, and if a game were built around it, could actually end up better than the mouse/keyboard.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa

[QUOTE="GreatExarch"]

PurpleMan5000

You could just put the map and icons for all of those commands on the touch screen, control the camera with your thumbsticks, and select units and move them from the map on the touch screen. It would work great, and if a game were built around it, could actually end up better than the mouse/keyboard.

If you're going to select units with the touch screen, then the whole game will have to be played off the TV.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

SMTxFE

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem should be out sometime this year if I'm not mistaken and it's my most anticipated title of the year.

If they're going to do any other RTS, the only other one should be Starcraft 2. It has the community (on PC, not so sure how it would fair on a console) and the touchscreen and WiiMotes offer just as much precision as the Mouse and Keyboard for that as long as the Touchscreen is implemented correctly that is.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Pikmin 3.

I would like to see a Advance Wars game for the U, which is a TBS but that doesn't really matter to me.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

SMTxFE

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem should be out sometime this year if I'm not mistaken and it's my most anticipated title of the year.

If they're going to do any other RTS, the only other one should be Starcraft 2. It has the community (on PC, not so sure how it would fair on a console) and the touchscreen and WiiMotes offer just as much precision as the Mouse and Keyboard for that as long as the Touchscreen is implemented correctly that is.

nini200
Considering both those series have typically been turn-based, I don't see why you think it'll be RTS. Unless word was leaked they were going to make it RTS.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I always wanted a solid RTS for the Wii, it just made sense to me.  The WiiMote would act like a mouse.  Of course there would be some major limitations due to the controller functions, but it was at least worth a shot.  A lot better shot than all that crappy shovel-ware that killed the Wii!

GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreatExarch

How are you going to use the touchscreen if your thumbs are on the control sticks?

That's a lot of icons you're putting on the touch screen. Think about this: You're actively watching the TV screen, because that's where the game is, and you have to feel your way among this maze of touch screen buttons. Without being able to feel where the buttons are, this would be a big problem.

As above said, how would you select units with the touch screen? That would involve looking down at it, and leaving all that other stuff on the main screen. That would irritate me to no end, and in Starcraft result in you being very dead.

Why does the moust work so well for this? You don't have to look down at the mouse. You can feel it, and move it around. Adjustments of the mouse are readily apparent on the screen in front of you.

Why does the keyboard work so well? You can operate it entirely by feel. That's how most of us type. You don't have to look down to keep track of where everything is, it's always in the same place. And if you do lose your place, you can feel around for certain landmarks to regain your composure.

Also, the gamepad screen would probably be too small for all this. It gives me a headache just thinking about all that stuff packed onto a handheld screen.

As I said, for it to work, the RTS genre would have to be significantly altered. Especially in the way it controls.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

i think rts wuld be fun, but i dont think it would be a big seller, so no, not good idea.

they need big hits right now.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 goblaa

How are you going to use the touchscreen if your thumbs are on the control sticks?

That's a lot of icons you're putting on the touch screen. Think about this: You're actively watching the TV screen, because that's where the game is, and you have to feel your way among this maze of touch screen buttons. Without being able to feel where the buttons are, this would be a big problem.

As above said, how would you select units with the touch screen? That would involve looking down at it, and leaving all that other stuff on the main screen. That would irritate me to no end, and in Starcraft result in you being very dead.

Why does the moust work so well for this? You don't have to look down at the mouse. You can feel it, and move it around. Adjustments of the mouse are readily apparent on the screen in front of you.

Why does the keyboard work so well? You can operate it entirely by feel. That's how most of us type. You don't have to look down to keep track of where everything is, it's always in the same place. And if you do lose your place, you can feel around for certain landmarks to regain your composure.

Also, the gamepad screen would probably be too small for all this. It gives me a headache just thinking about all that stuff packed onto a handheld screen.

As I said, for it to work, the RTS genre would have to be significantly altered. Especially in the way it controls.

GreatExarch

This is why the wiimote/nunchuck is way better suited for an RTS than the gamepad. You can select units with the pointer, the A and B button are essentially your left and right click. You can drag over multiple units, and attach multiple units to a d-pad direction as a quick select for groups. you can have a wheel of commands tied to the anaolg stick. It would be super convenient for a simple RTS.

GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreatExarch

The Wii was certainly better suited for an RTS, but it would still have to simplify things quite a bit for it to work. Just not enough buttons.

I can't really think of a good way to bring things in an RTS down to that level, and, to be honest, if it was that simple, you wouldn't have hardened RTS fans jumping at it. Without them, any RTS is going to have mediocre sales performance, since it's such a niche genre these days.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

and who said there needs to be alot of commands?  they could make a simplified rts  that is easy to play yet still so fun  ,   why is it everyone always thinks just cause a computer has all these commands that a console version must as well - sorry pal ,  if they want to do an rts its up to them  ,   i honestly dont care for it ,    if i ts not mario zelda 007 nascar mariokart marioparty fzero starfox 1080 kid icaris wave race pilot wings nintendogs etc etc its not really gonna sell systems 

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

The Wii was certainly better suited for an RTS, but it would still have to simplify things quite a bit for it to work. Just not enough buttons.

I can't really think of a good way to bring things in an RTS down to that level, and, to be honest, if it was that simple, you wouldn't have hardened RTS fans jumping at it. Without them, any RTS is going to have mediocre sales performance, since it's such a niche genre these days.

GreatExarch

Personally, I'd love to see an RTS on Wii U using either the GamePad or Wiimote/nunhuck. Even if it didn't have a depth of a PC RTS it would still be a considerable step up from using a typical console controller.