Any ideas or advice on how to beat Kefka's Tower in FFVI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HauntJemimah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HauntJemimah
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

Hello,

So I'm pretty much stuck at Kefka's tower and most characters are at around level 55 for the most part, but the last team I'm working on is Terra, Gau, Mog, and Cyan.

The point I wanted to ask, is how to necessarily boost the magic abilities of all characters to handle the end game?

I tried the tower earlier but my characters don't know that much magic abilities so I figured it was tied to either Magic Points (no duh!) or Esper usage that I didn't account for early on.

Its been a while since I tried to play this game and this place really stumps me.

I've been trying to grind in the area south of Miranda that looks like a desert, but do you guys know any other tips of what to do before Kefka's tower?

Thanks a bunch and have a good one!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You have all the characters, yeah? Then you'll have to grind somewhere that gives out good AP. I basically made it so all my characters know all the upper tier magic, both Black and White. Plus, Ultima is your friend. It does more or less max damage every time you use it. Get a Celestriad (or Economizer if you're playing the Virtual Console version) from some dinosaurs on the Dino Island. I don't remember exactly where that is, so you'll have to look it up, but what Celestriad does is make it so when you equip it to a character, every single spell they know costs one magic point. I had one "Ultima user" in each party for my end game run of Kefka's Tower, and I swept through it pretty easily, with the other characters providing support and using other spells.

Yeah, the only real gripe I had with the game is the end grind. I had a comfortable party I liked by the end, and the game forced me to use characters I didn't like using, which was somewhat frustrating. But trust me, get some Celestriads (again, look up where Dino Island is- the Relic is a rare drop from one of the enemies, and it's actually a lot more common than it should be) and equip them to a designated Ultima User (I think mine were Tera in one party, Celeste in one, and Mog in the last- don't underestimate the little Moogle, he can wreck if you build him properly). YWith that, you shouldn't have very much trouble as long as your other members in each party know the upper level spells for support, buffing, and the like.

Hope this helps.

HauntJemimah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HauntJemimah

^ Hey thanks a bunch man!

Okay, I'll definitely grind at the Dinosaur forest and kill a bunch of brachiosaurs for some economizers and try to level up the magic spells for each character.

Should I strictly use a set of espers for all 4 members that will deal good damage or heal right?

I think I read that later on in the tower you can swap equipment between the teams, but are espers tied to a single party member or they can be easily swapped as long as you trained with them right?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@HauntJemimah said:

^ Hey thanks a bunch man!

Okay, I'll definitely grind at the Dinosaur forest and kill a bunch of brachiosaurs for some economizers and try to level up the magic spells for each character.

Should I strictly use a set of espers for all 4 members that will deal good damage or heal right?

I think I read that later on in the tower you can swap equipment between the teams, but are espers tied to a single party member or they can be easily swapped as long as you trained with them right?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... Here' Ill just give you a summary of what I did.

You NEED the Ragnarok Esper so you can teach people Ultima. In each of your three parties, have one designated Ultima user that you equip an economizer on. The remaining three should be taught high level healing spells and offensive spells. Of course, if you REALLY want to you can grind to get twelve economizers and give them to every character you plan on using and teach them all Ultima. You'll still need support spells, though, like healing and high level buff spells. Curaja, etc. And once you have a satisfactory set up, you can attack KEfka's Tower. Using this, and having your best mage on each team use Ultima, you should have no problem with this.

And I THINK you should be able to change Espers at the equipment change place. Not entirely sure, but I don't think you can change them in the middle of the tower otherwise. It's been about a year and a half since I beat the game.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

The Moogle Charm in Narshe can help you eliminate random enemy characters. If you go to the very exact spot where Moogle joined your party and then one space up that can greatly help you (well it may not be exactly one space up, but definitely in the room somewhere.)

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Cant remember what I did, but you have to strategize with right equipment and spells. Of course I had every spell for every character by this time

HauntJemimah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HauntJemimah

Yeah, so basically I've focusing on three teams so far:

1. Terra, Gau, Mog, Cyan

2. Celes, Gogo, Edgar, Strago

3. Relm, Sabin, Setzer, Locke

After like two days of just straight grinding so far, I've been able to get the first team to level 65, BUT I didn't power level with espers so I have to go back and force each character to learn spells lol, but it should be a little quicker since they're better off anyway and its not like a level is needed, its more or less progress towards spells.

But yeah, after really focusing on what the espers actually do, I'm starting to get the hang of leveling a particular spell up and swapping espers amongst party members. I think I read that espers were key to this game, but I had no idea up to this point that your summons truly dictate what spells you will learn --> I think I was so used to the fact that some characters are just built to be brutal lol (like Sabin)

Either way, I just got Strago to level 50 while those in the second team around near or around lvl 60 but they are being power leveled with good spells.

Its a shame that I have to go back and redo the spell work for the first group but at least now I know what I'm doing.

Though, a random question I had, would it be better to equip Strago with a fire staff instead of healing right?

Just a thought.

I do have that Moogle charm by the way, so you're saying it would help at the tower right?

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@HauntJemimah: It's been a while since i played the game, but equpping a reflect type item could help you reflect spells that the enemy casts on you.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

@HauntJemimah said:

Yeah, so basically I've focusing on three teams so far:

1. Terra, Gau, Mog, Cyan

2. Celes, Gogo, Edgar, Strago

3. Relm, Sabin, Setzer, Locke

After like two days of just straight grinding so far, I've been able to get the first team to level 65, BUT I didn't power level with espers so I have to go back and force each character to learn spells lol, but it should be a little quicker since they're better off anyway and its not like a level is needed, its more or less progress towards spells.

But yeah, after really focusing on what the espers actually do, I'm starting to get the hang of leveling a particular spell up and swapping espers amongst party members. I think I read that espers were key to this game, but I had no idea up to this point that your summons truly dictate what spells you will learn --> I think I was so used to the fact that some characters are just built to be brutal lol (like Sabin)

Either way, I just got Strago to level 50 while those in the second team around near or around lvl 60 but they are being power leveled with good spells.

Its a shame that I have to go back and redo the spell work for the first group but at least now I know what I'm doing.

Though, a random question I had, would it be better to equip Strago with a fire staff instead of healing right?

Just a thought.

I do have that Moogle charm by the way, so you're saying it would help at the tower right?

Do you not have Shadow in your party?

HauntJemimah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HauntJemimah

No, I don't have Shadow, is that an issue?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@HauntJemimah said:

No, I don't have Shadow, is that an issue?

Shiiiiiit. Shadow is boss. You can still do the game without him, but it seems you missed your chance to get him. You were supposed to wait til the last few seconds on the floating continent and he would run to you and join your party permanently. Let me put it this way: By the end of the game, Shadow could use his Throw ability with a basic Shuriken and do near 9999 damage to the final boss. Like I said, you can still do the game without him, but Gogo is really not that great when compared to the absolute boss- ness of Shadow.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Someone mentioned reflect that works good the final boss of the tower is really crazy you pretty much have to guess which magic to counter with because he switches so randomly. I didnt get shadow but I dont think it was for the same reason the other guy explained. Go to the dinosaur island to power level ur espers for all characters

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts

i am pretty sure i grinded t-rexes on a small island on the eastern part of the world map. they will power level you. they only appear in that one specific area, and you will level to max level in no time.