Any ideas on what Metroid Wii U will be like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

My hope is that with the better hardware, they can make a Metroid game that can be fully played in either first or 3rd person. It would be pretty cool, as long as neither perspective was lacking. I also imagine Dead Space -esque graphics (think parts when you're outside of the ship and can see outer space). I'm not obsessed over graphics but I think Metroid is a series that could really benefit from a more powerful system. Retro did such an amazing job with GC/Wii hardware, I'd love to see what they can do on Wii U.

Anyway, what do you all want for Metroid Wii U?

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

I sort of want a first person Metroid game on the Wii U. It would be pretty cool to scan around with the Wii U controller. At the same time, I feel like three first person Metroid games is enough. I guess I'd be happy if they made a game that resembles Other M in gameplay, but the Prime games in soul.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fluffy_kins

resembles Other M in gameplay, but the Prime games in soul

well said

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I don't expect Retro to develop, they've moved past Metroid. Other M sold significantly worse than the Prime trilogy IIRC, so I doubt Team Ninja will be involved, and Sakamoto probably won't be given free reign next time. I'd liked to see an improved Other M style game, but I expect either we'll get another first person game, or another side scroller. The series may be put on hiatus for a while until Ninendo figures out what to do with it.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts
i would love to see retro do a new prime (sorry retro...you poor souls must be sick if it by now :P). they did amazing things with the GC and wii hardware...all 3 primes look great and the attention to detail is wonderful. imagine what they could do with the wiius horsepower. not just in terms of pretties but also power ups and tinkering with combat n stuff. then there is the new controller. bring back the GC controller setup if they decide not to use the wiimote and nunchuck (not the usual DA setup...its bog standard, sloppy and limited). motion sensor, touch screen, IR pointer, lots of buttons....there is plenty there to play with. i would also like to see another stab at an otherM type metroid. underneath all the crud and nonsense there was a bugget of a good game. it would be interesting to see what team ninja could do with a bit less interference from ninty. with the new controller maybe a 3rd person metroid of some sort would be interesting. but...thats just what ninty would expect us to think. so itll either be a massive 120 hour RPG or a puzzle game like dragons sword :P.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I hope it's like the Prime series, because I hated Other M.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I was actually thinking about this last night!

You know in the Wii U trailer at E3 where you hold the Wii U up to the screen and you can see part of the big web browser on the TV screen on the Wii U controller screen? Well I was thinking that this could be like Samus' visor, so you can quickly hold up your WiiPad up to the TV screen, and it'll be your visor on the Pad screen, from here you move your pad around (maybe you should hold a button down to let it know you want to look around in this screen?) and scan things or what ever.

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Reminds me of that CryEngine hack a few months ago :P

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

resembles Other M in gameplay, but the Prime games in soul

well said

fluffy_kins

hell yes this would be awesome. with the added HD and the second screen and all, who knows what they could make of it.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

YearoftheSnake5

i didnt so much hate it, but i agree that it had many flaws. some being the story (absolutly terrible), the weapons, somewhat control, length, linearity.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Metroid Prime 4 would be nice,but a unique Metroid game would be cool.

Maybe a third person adventure?

She could have an energy sword coming out of her cannon for close encounters!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

probably awesome is what i think :P

if its 1st person..it better have wiimote support though...

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

Reminds me of that CryEngine hack a few months ago :P

pikaby

http://projectprime.wetpaint.com/

?

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Hopefully something with some actual non-linear level design and item progression. So essentially, the opposite of the last few Metroid games that were released.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

almossbb

i didnt so much hate it, but i agree that it had many flaws. some being the story (absolutly terrible), the weapons, somewhat control, length, linearity.

I know I am a bit late to the party because I just finished Other M but I am wondering what you hated so much about the story? I never played the Prime games so I do not know if I missed something but this game seemed like a love letter to fans of the original Metroid and Super Metroid. Was it just the characterization or the storyline itself?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="almossbb"]

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

Euaggelistes

I know I am a bit late to the party because I just finished Other M but I am wondering what you hated so much about the story? I never played the Prime games so I do not know if I missed something but this game seemed like a love letter to fans of the original Metroid and Super Metroid. Was it just the characterization or the storyline itself?

It was a mix of her redundant monologues, pathetic dependence on Adam, whiny back story, and breakdown in front of Ridley. Her character was completely unlikable.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Her character wasn't unlikable, people just didn't like that it didn't mesh with what they think of Samus. Your also exaggerating talking about pathetic dependance and of course she should be happy that her parents were killed in front of her, that's always an awesome experience.

Anyway, doubt Retro will be on it, I wouldn't mind seeing another 3rd person game, with greater emphasis on mobility like in Other M. They did the story thing to explore her, they don't need to do another, so the game world can be more "open"

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

that is a really good question actually.

I like the series in first person and I liked the pointer shooting in Corruption. I would like to see the wiimote and nunchuck setup with some non essential stuff tied to the tablet screen. I could see having a map screen on there with the option to roll through some different menus.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Hopefully gameplay like other M but Story like...any other metroid game.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fluffy_kins

I definitely don't want her next mission to be a co-op one

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

[QUOTE="almossbb"]

meetroid8

It was a mix of her redundant monologues, pathetic dependence on Adam, whiny back story, and breakdown in front of Ridley. Her character was completely unlikable.

Well her character was not completely unlikeable because I liked it =D I think the breakdown in front of Ridley was the result of seeing something that was supposed to be dead all of a sudden coming right at you more so than any outright fear of Ridley himself. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. I liked the story =)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
One word: Epicallyawesomerifficgasmicoricallyamazing!!! Simple as that. Whatever they decide to do, will be awesome. I just hope that if they do a new FPS version, they still use Motion Controls. I can deal with no Motion if its Side Scrolling huge world style like Super Metroid.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hopefully extant. Metroid has never been a commercially successful title for Nintendo, and Other M was definitely a bomb compared to the Prime's (it sold about half that of each of the three games). With how Nintendo have been treating their less-successful franchises like Star Fox, I am somewhat worried that we may not even get a new one. For instance, 2011 is (technically) the 25th anniversary of the series, and nothing was mentioned or released on behalf of Nintendo. The first game did come out in 1987 in North America (where it sees most of its success), so I remain hopeful that they have something planned for 2012, and it involves the Wii U launch. I couldn't care less what kind of game it is. After Other M, and the moderately successful move into a voiced cinematic game, I hope they take it even further, but keep that "all alone" feeling that has become a series standard.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

full 3rd person action adventure...ever since playing Other M - you know the pointless third person view slow walking bit from point A to B.

they can do this for Disaster: Day of Crisis 2 too (if there was gonna be one)

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Euaggelistes

I just beat Other M last night and I thought it was a strong point for the series. I don't get the hate for the game either. I thought some parts in Other M the voice acting could have used... a little more acting instead of talking, but the gameplay was solid, and so was the story. Since the game was based on Samus character and her past, I could understand why she had to depend on Adam so much for most of the game. I hope they come out with a similar title to Other M for the next game. I did hate how Samus last name was pronounced though haha. I kind of say it like Are-An, but in the game is was said like Aaron.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I hope it's like the Prime series, but even more massive.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

I think it'll be kind of like Other M with more cIassic Metroid elements and sport a different art styIe.

I'd love something like this:

OR

(I think this 2nd picture would also make a nice 3DS game)

And the Wii U's controller could be used for things like scanning enemies and objects, first person puzzles (The TV screen would still be in 3rd-person/2D), mini map... etc etc.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I hoping for one last Prime, but it may never happen...
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I imagine they will go the Other M rout again.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Metroid HD should have the following.

Be like Metroid Prime 1,2,3.

Have 2 player Co-op for Campaign. (Online or local)

Have Multiplayer and GOOD multplayer. (Let me go into detail)

Nintendo could make Metroid HD there (Halo, or COD) What they could do is for example like Halos Team Slayer playlist could be in Metroid HD where you are on a Team of 4 and your all Bounty Hunters like Metroid Prime Hunters. Make it so you can level up and unlock stuff to customiz your character and its a win win.

A theater mode.

Custom games aswell to play with friends.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

Metroid Fusion i_i

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

I would imagine they will go with a similar Other M or the classic Metroid style with full 3D HD graphics. It would be pretty neat. The FPS games were good but I don't think the next game should be in FPS view.

Main Reason: FPS games have dominated this generation and has become pretty boring and repetitive.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Metroid Fusion i_i

killerneub

Agreed. I want Fusion 2. If I got a 2D sequel to fusion, that alone would be enough for me to get the console. I love Super Metroid too, but Fusion was definitely my favorite. Also I really want it complete 2D. Not 2.5D like other M.

Broburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Broburger
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I think it'll be kind of like Other M with more cIassic Metroid elements and sport a different art styIe.

OR

And the Wii U's controller could be used for things like scanning enemies and objects, first person puzzles (The TV screen would still be in 3rd-person/2D), mini map... etc etc.

JollyGreenOne
this^
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killerneub

[QUOTE="killerneub"]

Metroid Fusion i_i

magnax1

Agreed. I want Fusion 2. If I got a 2D sequel to fusion, that alone would be enough for me to get the console. I love Super Metroid too, but Fusion was definitely my favorite. Also I really want it complete 2D. Not 2.5D like other M.

Ya, I get stuck a lot in Super Metroid, but in Fusion there is less exploration - they should combine those elements. Also the suits and power ups in fusion are just awesome, and should be revisited. The story could be that a station crashed on a small planet and the x-parasite spread throughout the whole planet. And it should most definitely have a Metroid pinball mini-game, haha.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
I want a classic Metroid on 3DS :D and I really wish for a new Prime on Wii-U with HD graphics :(
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killerneub
I want a classic Metroid on 3DS :D and I really wish for a new Prime on Wii-U with HD graphics :( simomate
I think they should move on from prime and start something new. A classic style 3D metroid would be pretty awesome.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
[QUOTE="simomate"]I want a classic Metroid on 3DS :D and I really wish for a new Prime on Wii-U with HD graphics :( killerneub
I think they should move on from prime and start something new. A classic style 3D metroid would be pretty awesome.

They need to include the exploration stuff, what ever type of game they move to..Other M lacked exploration imo.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Her character wasn't unlikable, people just didn't like that it didn't mesh with what they think of Samus. Your also exaggerating talking about pathetic dependance and of course she should be happy that her parents were killed in front of her, that's always an awesome experience.

Sepewrath

*nods* It's like Snake said in SSBB. "Underneath that cold, hard exterior beats the heart of a woman." ...or something like that. :P Samus' up-bringing wasn't exactly glamorous, and while her training under the Chozo (something I wish Other M would have touched on) and the Federation gave her considerable combative skill, it's unrealistic to expect her to be this totally emotionless woman. In that sense, I actually liked how Samus' character was developed in Other M, as it kept her from being just like all of the other dime-a-dozen soldiers/space marines/killers out there, while still giving her a persona that many have been wanting for all of these years. Her personal struggles only me me appreciate her more, to be honest.

Now, as for the future of Metroid, I can't really say. Given the lack of success from the series of late, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Nintendo truly did put the series on a temporary hiatus. The other side of me suggests that even knowing how much the series has struggled to remain relevant of late, Nintendo will want to put the Wii U's hardware to use as an attempt to revitalize the franchise's appeal. However, with the series being in the hands of other developers recently, it very possible that it could go silent much like some of Nintendo's other franchises have been known to do the past few gens. Do you risk putting the series in the hands of yet another developer, or do you invest significant time and money that could go into other games and get your own top talent to work exclusively on the new installment? These are the questions that Nintendo has to face, with no guarntee that the result will turn out worthwhile in the end.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
other m was a great game, it just had terrible voice acting. but gameplay wise, just great. it wasnt a true metroid game though. no getting lost for hours wondering what to do. Prime series was my fav metroid, but i really had to put up with the 1st person aspect. i prefer 2d metroid. However, metroid ranks in my top 5 series ever and i cant wait for another. it would be nice to see team ninja do a sequel, but with less talk, checkpoints, and more exploration.
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 killerneub

OR

JollyGreenOne

That artwork is awesome. A cellshaded 2D metroid would be really cool.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

After the disappointing sales of Other M, I seem to recall some mention of the series going back into hibernation for a while. Depending on just how long that hibernation is, the series could possibly skip the Wii U altogether.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 killerneub

After the disappointing sales of Other M, I seem to recall some mention of the series going back into hibernation for a while. Depending on just how long that hibernation is, the series could possibly skip the Wii U altogether.

Bubble_Man
That makes sense. If you fail to succeed, just give up for around 5 years. We don't need another system with the absence of metroid like the N64. But even then we had the GBA games. I doubt they take that long of a break, but even if that happens I'm sure the 3DS will get something.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Yeah I would love the motion sickness or complete lack of what is going on, rolling in ball form in first person.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
The controller to scan the environment is a given. Or at least it should be. To please everyone, the gameplay could be in a third person view with the first person view on the controller.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Yeah I would love the motion sickness or complete lack of what is going on, rolling in ball form in first person.wooooode
LOL! You just proved that you haven't played ANY of the Metroid Prime games. :lol: