This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heinous-Uranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Heinous-Uranus
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts

What makes Mario a special character for you?

I have been thinking why he is such a popular character and have not been able to come up with anything except a nostalgia factor.

For me Mario is quite hollow. And I don't think that Nintendo should be using him in so many games.

I think that Mario should retire and give the position of iconic character to Sir Ike of the Fire Emblem series.

Discussion is most welcome.

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts

Ike... replacing... Mario?

:lol:

Ike is FAR from iconic. This better be a joke topic.

There's just something "magical" about Mario that makes people like him. He comes from a series that is overwhelming with creativity... and well, I can't say the same thing about Fire Emblem.

andrewham7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andrewham7
Member since 2004 • 440 Posts
No... just no
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Ike only fights for his friends so no.
Heinous-Uranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heinous-Uranus

Where did I go wrong when I'm not having any fun playing a Mario game?

frob1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frob1965
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
your kidding about all of this... right?
Whistlebuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Whistlebuta
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

I think that Mario should retire and give the position of iconic character to Sir Ike of the Fire Emblem series.

Heinous-Uranus

That's like replacing Bob Barker with Drew Carey.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Yeah the only reason Mario is popular is because has been in good games for a long time... Other than that his character is nothing special.

Heinous-Uranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heinous-Uranus

your kidding about all of this... right?frob1965

No, Ike is my icon.

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

Ike only fights for his friends so no.ZumaJones07

Plus you cant get any sympathy from him

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ECG_24
Member since 2008 • 1653 Posts

Remember this member is the one that brought us these craptastic posts that were eventually locked:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=909104101&topic_id=26469885

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=909104101&topic_id=26469869

Crazy Spyro fanboy...

Whistlebuta

I hated that! The show is now unwatchable IMO.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts
I get it. You just don't like Mario. Are you jealous that his games ALWAYS outsell Ikes games?
Heinous-Uranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heinous-Uranus

I get it. You just don't like Mario. Are you jealous that his games ALWAYS outsell Ikes games?
pjacobson21

I'm jealous that Nintendo lives and Amiga died.

I'm jealous that because so many adult gamers are excited about controlling this Italian plumber, I have less games of good plotting, good characters and good dialogue. Games like FE:Path of Radiance.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
[QUOTE="Heinous-Uranus"]

Whistlebuta

best analogy used...Price is Right isn't "Price is Right" anymore without Barker there...just like Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo without Mario...he's the essence of everything it means for video games to be fun...how many games (SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMB:World etc..) do you know of that are still fun to go back and play this very day.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
it's just his games are always fun.other characters would work too if they had tones of fun games.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
Super Ike Kart! Woohoo!
slgnbenchwarmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slgnbenchwarmr
Member since 2007 • 615 Posts
Dr. Ike Deluxe. I'm so gonna get that game.
Falco_648

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Falco_648
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts

[QUOTE="pjacobson21"]I get it. You just don't like Mario. Are you jealous that his games ALWAYS outsell Ikes games?
Heinous-Uranus

I'm jealous that because so many adult gamers are excited about controlling this Italian plumber, I have less games of good plotting, good characters and good dialogue. Games like FE:Path of Radiance.

Path of Radiance was one of the worst fire emblem games. FE 7 and 6 were great.
Heinous-Uranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heinous-Uranus

Path of Radiance was one of the worst fire emblem games. FE 7 and 6 were great.Falco_648

Path of Radiance was one of the best games I've played in a long time. It had good themes and a nice set of characters. And some of the dialogue was actually witty. The second half was quite bland though.

Radiant Dawn, now that didn't live up to the standard set by the prequel.

Avatar image for fireemblemgamer
fireemblemgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fireemblemgamer
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts
dude i love the fire emblem games, hence my name and my ike avatar, but you have to give mario some slack. He has been with nintendo from the beginning, bringing awesome games and quirky characters and amazing side genres, such as kart racing, and the mini/party game. I was brought to nintendo by mario, and although fire emblem is my favorite series ever, I would never diss the plumber. ever. he made nintendo what it is.
lolwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lolwaffles
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

mario is a cool character, hes creative, he rocks, at a certain point he is heroic and badass... extremely badass

he rox man D: and you suck

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

What makes Mario so special? Simple: He's the most recognizable video-game character of all time. A lot of gamers have played Mario games when they were young so over the years of being in great titles like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, he formed a sentimental bond with you. The titles he's in a typically fun and simple to play, but also have a lot of depth, in terms of level design and gameplay. His bright red outfit and large blue eyes mixed in with his silly mustach and overalls make him stand out and very appealing.

I do understand what you're saying though. Mario doesn't talk in his games (besides the wierd noises he makes that is) and a lot of the story in his games are simple, repetetive and don't have any depth. Along with the story, Mario lacks depth as well. It's hard to relate to Mario becuase he doesn't speak or show any real human emotions that a well-developed character in a, let's say, a movie does.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

What makes Mario so special? Simple: He's the most recognizable video-game character of all time...

I do understand what you're saying though. Mario doesn't talk in his games (besides the wierd noises he makes that is) and a lot of the story in his games are simple, repetetive and don't have any depth. Along with the story, Mario lacks depth as well. It's hard to relate to Mario becuase he doesn't speak or show any real human emotions that a well-developed character in a, let's say, a movie does.

Lyphe2k
I agree with this statement.

This is why mario can be pimped out all the way from Karts, Tennis, and Baseball, to platformers and semi-RPG's. And by doing so sells games. Selling = $$$...

Would it be nice for them to expand on Mario as an actual character and back story? No, because then I would have to figure out the time line of all his games and try to fit it in a 'series' of sorts. I can just accept mario as the best game icon to ever be pimped out. I'm ok with that.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Oh yeah, how could I have not recognized the TC from that Spyro topic!
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
mario is a symbolic character and because he helped found Nintendo (greates gaming company ever) i think hes a little higher than IKE who is cool but no where near mario hes even below MR GAME AND WATCH
mariofan456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mariofan456
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
That can't happen
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#29 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

What makes Mario a special character for you?

I have been thinking why he is such a popular character and have not been able to come up with anything except a nostalgia factor.

For me Mario is quite hollow. And I don't think that Nintendo should be using him in so many games.

Heinous-Uranus

Mario is likeable and can be used versatiley because his stature enables him to do many superhuman things. Because he is small and full of spunk, he can run, jump, wall-jump and swim with endless energy, and is kind of bouncy in a way - as are most of the denizens of Mushroom Kingdom - you jump on a Toad and you bounce off of their heads.

It doesn't matter that he's a plumber in his late thirties or forties, he's a cool character with a very cool universe built for him and all of his friends, and I for one think that it's pretty imaginative - mushrooms, dinosaurs, pipes, coins, blocks - it is the definition of a platforming adventure world.

Fire Emblem does not appeal to everyone, and Ike appears in the 9th and 10th game in that series - it's kind of hard to make him the face of a long-running strategy/rpg series when he had no part in the games until over 20 years into its existence, let alone a series of games that revolve around different fantasy nations and characters each title.

And this was a pathetic and worthless topic.

black_steel_4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 black_steel_4u
Member since 2006 • 904 Posts

Ike only fights for his friends so no.ZumaJones07

lmao yes thats true. and no if mario 'retires' then there woulnt be any happy people left in this world

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

That'd be like completely getting rid of Pikachu from Pokemon...

You can't just replace Mario with someone like Ike....it's just...no...it's just common sense....

And I guess it wouldn't be iconic character, it'd be "Ike"-onic character :|.

WiiTheLovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WiiTheLovers
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Im sure other people would surpass Mario if they had decent enough games. But Marios from the 2D Stages. So hes been around longer. In order for a character, or franchise/series, to surpass mario, they would need to have games that are way better than Galaxy. And Mario Kart. So let's say, they would have to make the game better than a bunch of games Mario is getting released in. It is very possible, but It is harder now because of the bar Mario has set for games to surpass him.
Shadowsouled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shadowsouled
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts

It's not only his long standing "biggest video game character ever" status that makes Mario what he is (in my opinion), it's also his simplicity. He always does what's right, he doesn't overthink things, he's just all action. He's kinda like a Paladin without the holiness and there's something endearing about that.

Also, it's not always depth and a great story that make a game great. Sometimes it's just that the game is just plain fun to play. That's what Mario games are about, fun.

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts

No.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

[QUOTE="pjacobson21"]I get it. You just don't like Mario. Are you jealous that his games ALWAYS outsell Ikes games?
Heinous-Uranus

I'm jealous that Nintendo lives and Amiga died.

Do not even try to bring Amiga into the discussion. That company deserves way more respect than this crappy attempt at calling for attention by a nobody.