Am I the only one who thinks the High Voltage graphics were just average?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Here's the IGN link for the tech demo: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/hightechwii.html

A lot of people have been talking about High Voltage's game called Conduit and how it will have these amazing graphcis never seen on Wii and blah blah blah. And now they are saying that they want to be the best developer for the wii which I think is great that a 3rd party wants to invest so much into the wii and I hope other follow suit.

That being said, I didn't think the graphics they have shown so far are that groundbreaking even from a wii standpoint.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there another video that shows Conduit off more?

I must add, just because the graphics are supposedly better doesn't mean the game is going to be good. Even if High Voltage has groundbreaking graphics doesn't mean Conduit is going to be a fun game.

Opinions please.

I'm done

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They built from scratch something that can compete on a visual level with the top tier of third party makers.

That's the impressive part in all this.

Literally each step they take from here can only look better as they add better and better layers.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
You aren't the only one, just look around and you'll see many people complaining as well.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

instead of complaining about graphics, accept that the Wii isnt going to be as good as 360/PS3 and get over it. It looks really good for a Wii game, much better then anything else we have so far, and this is just a tech demo showing some of the things they can do for the Wii, as the game gets developed, it will look even better.

wolfpackfrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 wolfpackfrenzy
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
Will graphics on wii ever be as good as 360/PS3? Not a chance. However, I think this tech demo's graphics were pretty good. But this was just a tech demo so I'm scheptical that the game will actually look and play like that. With more characters, items, and such I would imagine that the frame rate would go way down if they keep things that high resolution. But honestly, graphics don't mean much to me. I'm more interested in the story and gameplay.
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

It's a tech demo showing off what they can do with their software engine that the PS3/360 do with hardware.

If you watch the demo there's plenty of effects going on in real time that are quite cool for the Wii. I'm not even sure if MP3 uses some of the graphics capabilities that this tech demo is showing off.

Realtime flames, reflections, shadows, water transparencies, particle effects etc

I expect Conduit to be a bit like serious same, all relentless action showing off exactly what the machine is capable of, but the verdict is out until we see a demo of the game rather than just screen shots of it.

So the verdict is still out but I am particularlly excited by it.

Phil

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

Will graphics on wii ever be as good as 360/PS3? Not a chance. However, I think this tech demo's graphics were pretty good. But this was just a tech demo so I'm scheptical that the game will actually look and play like that. With more characters, items, and such I would imagine that the frame rate would go way down if they keep things that high resolution. But honestly, graphics don't mean much to me. I'm more interested in the story and gameplay.wolfpackfrenzy

They said that they're pushing for the engine to run on Wii at 60FPS.

wolfpackfrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 wolfpackfrenzy
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
They said that they're pushing for the engine to run on Wii at 60FPS.manicfoot
High FPS does not equal High Rez Graphics If they're going to push the 60fps, they may only be able to do that by decreasing the detail of the 3d models, reducing the number of items/objecter/vertices, etc...but this is all speculation.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts
Average compared to what?
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wintry_Flutist

instead of complaining about graphics, accept that the Wii isnt going to be as good as 360/PS3 and get over it. It looks really good for a Wii game, much better then anything else we have so far [...]

da_chub

No, it doesn't, and that's why we are complaining.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I'm not saying that graphics are the most important thing just for the record and I have not lost sleep over graphics that other Wii games have offered. I was just wondering for those who thought the graphics were so great what all the fuss was about.

I think a great game has good balance between graphics, gameplay and music. The most important thing to me is story.

I also think that a lot of people are exicited for this game because it looks like an FPS which seems to be the hot thing right now. Not my cup of tea other than the MEtroid Prime Series.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
No, not impressive. Nothing even close to SMG, it just looks so bland.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
It could be technically impressive for a Wii game, but to be honest, the art direction is pretty Halo generic... totally uninspired.
WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

I'm don't complain about the Wii can't do (graphically speaking) but rather what it can do that is not being utilized. I think that graphics are important, but they are not a factor that can pull an entire game into oblivion or bring it into paradise.

I thought the HV graphics were "average". But a litte tweaking and all should be well.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

Here's the IGN link for the tech demo: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/hightechwii.html

A lot of people have been talking about High Voltage's game called Conduit and how it will have these amazing graphcis never seen on Wii and blah blah blah. And now they are saying that they want to be the best developer for the wii which I think is great that a 3rd party wants to invest so much into the wii and I hope other follow suit.

That being said, I didn't think the graphics they have shown so far are that groundbreaking even from a wii standpoint.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there another video that shows Conduit off more?

I must add, just because the graphics are supposedly better doesn't mean the game is going to be good. Even if High Voltage has groundbreaking graphics doesn't mean Conduit is going to be a fun game.

Opinions please.

I'm done

roboccs

Its because you a looking at the wrong thing they aren't showing off the power of the graphics like how the models look they are showing off the effects. With this the wii can do a lot of the effects the 360 and ps3 are doing but on a lower scale. Mostly in this demo they were showing of the lighting effects. What this engine does is produces real time effects that most people dont bother with on the wii. If High Voltage allows the engine to be used by others it means we will see a lot better looking wii games

IcE-Fu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IcE-Fu-
Member since 2005 • 3590 Posts

the first time I saw it I said to myself

"these graphics look pretty bad but not too bad.. The water looks nice"

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MaceKhan
If High Voltage allows the engine to be used by others it means we will see a lot better looking wii games webbut
That (imo) is the important part.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
personally I would go for below average at the moment
BaconBurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BaconBurns
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
I thought they were pretty impressive. Then again I don't own an Xbox 360 or PS3.
Ironre5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ironre5
Member since 2008 • 1164 Posts

well i basically was the first one on this site to make a thread against all the graphics hype...i had a lot of support from Wintry_Flutist...but a lot of people just seem to like to settle for mediocracy...those screens on IGN honestly look like theyre from a gamecube game..unfortunately on the thread i created there was this idiot named mrjam0 who kept misinterpreting all my comments, and basically turned the thread into a hostile zone...so if he ever comments on your thread just ignore him..cos he really just speaks without knowing what hes talking abt...

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Probably.
elektrixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 elektrixxx
Member since 2004 • 11804 Posts
I agree with you as well, however the water effects in particular was the only thing to catch my eye in the video.
Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

Opinions please.

I'm done

roboccs

I think for a Wii game Conduit is showing off more of what the system can do. Im sure you already know about the fact that Wii games are never going to look as good as HD systems like the 360 or PS3, but I think people are excited that a 3rd party developer is making a game like this (people think the Wii is shooter starved, although id rather keep it this way :P).

My only real complaint with this game is that they are going down an all too familiar route with aliens. Its become a really bad cliche in shooters these days. Other than that, its nice for Wii owners to get something different, even if it turned out to suck and just have nice graphics. It certainly wouldnt be the only game out this gen that follows that trend, although on the Wii that would be surprising.

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

I think the Wii will have some pretty graphically impressive games in the future... not that we haven't already seen some... (MP3, SSBB, SMG)

It took until 2005 to see amazing graphics on the Nintendo Gamecube with Resident Evil 4.

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

I'm just glad the game isn't a port...

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MaceKhan
Average compared to what?MaceKhan
That was a serious question! What games is he comparing them to, if he's comparing them to SMG yes they're average compared to nintendo games, if compared to far cry vengeance, (I looked at some screenshots just now because people were talking about it) then the graphics are much better.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

Why complaing about something you can not change. If you are only playing games because of the "cool" graphics, then you are missing out on tons of games that have better stories/gameplay.

No, it doesn't, and that's why we are complaining.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Yeah, they weren't so impressive, but at least I saw an advance, compared to past third party games.
ThatsNotKool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThatsNotKool
Member since 2006 • 96 Posts
Do any of you realize how early these screens are? They don't even have a publisher yet, so it can improve alot.
Alex_DJ30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Alex_DJ30
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Well folks, first, The Wii will never have graphics compare to Xbox360 or PS3 on all the system life, the hardware of the wii cant produce that, period. Right now i have not see a single game that i can say "the game cube couldnt have done it", maybe in due time (1 or 2 years more) but right now all the games i have seen on the wii i think actually could have be done exact the same on the cube. On this graphics of High voltage, they look OK, the problem will be running an engine in a room is easy, running that same engine entirely with people. objects, explosions lighthing, physics thats a different story andkeeping 60fps thats something else, until they show more videos of the game we can only speculate about it, nothing more.

By the way i think High voltage exagerated a bit the annoucment that they can produce equal graphics like Ps3 and Xbox360, maybe theymean use some technics like their big system, but graphics wise it cant be done.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

Do any of you realize how early these screens are? They don't even have a publisher yet, so it can improve alot.ThatsNotKool
\

Exactly plus THIS ISNT GAME FOOTAGE its a tech demo of the ENGINE.

People Keep comparing this too games like SMG. IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE ENGINE TO MAKE A GAME LOOK PRETTY. all the engine does is provide effects to save time in development. It gives real life effects to a game so the game can look like its real but also so people making a game wont have to do extra work putting those effects in themselves. The engine does things like make sure the shadows on the walls change when a ball of light is shot across the room and too make sure the color and brightness of that light affect everything in that room with out a programmer having to program that light for ever object individually

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the graphics may be just as good if not a tad better then xbox 1 graphics and ,,, thats pretty good enough, look at burn out revenge,,, it looks like most of the ps3 and 360 racing games todate,, not much has changed for them ,

or timesplitters future perfect,

how about re4 that had amazing graphics, still impresive today, thats a gc game and wii is 1.5-2x more powerful then the gc

ssbb metroid prime 3 mario galaxy cod3- show it, compare cod3 to cod2 the big red one, youll see ,

but the wii was not ever promised to offer ps3 or 360 visuals, nintendos said it several times now get over it ,, games can still be enjoyed ,,, even if they dont look like ps3 360 games.

take a guess at what game im still playing now,, and still enjoying it,

it was released in 1997 it became game of the year 1998 and 1999 ,

it sold over 8 million copies on n64

made by rareware/nintendo ,

and people today still want this remade or ported over to 360 and wiis today,

that right there tells you somthing

the game is goldeneye if you didnt know ,

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wintry_Flutist

[QUOTE="ThatsNotKool"]Do any of you realize how early these screens are? They don't even have a publisher yet, so it can improve alot.webbut

\

Huh? We're talking about the screens which are from the game.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#35 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

mario is not a sports simulator its just fun fantasy sports, , ,,

that said you should not compare it to the crappy ea madden series or any other football game or golf basket ball etc game,,

and no you do not have a right to come in gamespots forums to create multiple topics of the same thing as said in gamespots terms of service etc, forum rules sticky

you should look for a similar topic on the first few pages before posting , this reduces flooding, etc

and who said wii was for kidsonly this coming from the same person who said n64 was for kids only, but offered much more then that goldeneye007 perfect dark doom duke nukem hexen conker bfd etcetfc

as for wii same can be said but it is not fact

look at

re4 wii edition

the godfather

scarface world is yours

target terror

resident evil umbrella chronicles\

ghost squad

driver paralel lines

tom clancy splinter cell da

red steel

medal of honor vanguard

medal of honor heroes 2

call of duty 3

far cry vengace ya horrible voice and graphics, but that does not affect how fun the game is in all truth

as for nintendo caring for online play and competition that is where you are wrong

wii is free wifi online service, its third party who dont take advantage of it,

mario kart wii

ssbb

medal of honor heroes 2

mx vs atv unleashed

red steel 2* romured to have it

pokemon wii

a internet browser

a new and weather channel

.. those are some examples of how nintendo cares ,, and quite frankly they promised all this,

they lived up to it,

lets look at gamecube, this is the system i believe your referring to ,

no online play

not competitive, no multimedia functions

this is where wii improved upon it

free wifi

photo/weather news and internet channel which lets you watch you tube vids now, so theres your multimedia section

bowling without averages? bowling does not have averages, it just tracks your score nice try,

you are living under a rock,, right, because i ve been to a real bowling alley,

like wii sports and amf bowling , it only tracks your score by how many pins or if you get strike its 20 or spare its 10 ,

you either have bad taste or what ever,

but you complain about a game you know is bad, but you dont even play the good ones

like re4 wii edition manhunt 2 medal of honor heroes 2 etc,

and sports titles? just get the crappy madden series there,, done ,

but ya your wrong on every aspect in that whole complaint,

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
It's not so much the graphics in that tech demo, it's more the effects, like the real time lighting and stuff like that.
Ironre5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ironre5
Member since 2008 • 1164 Posts
well if the art direction sucks, and there isnt much deatil and stuff, nobody cares abt lighting and all those techinical advantages over other games...just make us a game with amazin art..thats all we want...
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
[QUOTE="webbut"]

[QUOTE="ThatsNotKool"]Do any of you realize how early these screens are? They don't even have a publisher yet, so it can improve alot.Wintry_Flutist

\

yes which are from an early build
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="webbut"]

[QUOTE="ThatsNotKool"]Do any of you realize how early these screens are? They don't even have a publisher yet, so it can improve alot.air_wolf_cubed

\

yes which are from an early build

And according to IGN/High Voltage they are the best thing since sliced bread.

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#40 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts
They are just average, but they are awsome compared to MOST third-party visuals, which is why some people say they look awsome, they don't mean that they look awsome compared to galaxy, but compared to most third-party games, this looks like a slice of heaven.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

I've watched the vid for the tech demo. I've read a LOT of people saying this and that about the Conduit and it seems as though most threads end up flirting with SW. Regardless of this I'll say that I think the demonstration was acceptable. It was not altogether unpleasing to the eye aside from some framerate drops but it was, as others have stated, just a demo. I think with time, I'll end up turning out alright.

It doesn't look like something that would be totally acceptable on some other platforms but compared to the graphics of the Wii library as a whole, it beats almost everything imo. To me that's something to be proud of. It doesn't have to look as good as the latest shooter on the PC. It just has to a) not totally suck and b) control well c) be interesting enough to warrant completing the campaign mode. For me that's at the very least a rent.

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#42 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
I'm not much of a graphical connosieur, but I do remember checking out that tech demo a while ago and being fairly unimpressed. That said, I know High Voltage, up until that point, had been funding the project themselves -- plus there's the fact that it'll be quite a while before The Conduit is actually released. That means plenty of times to make things look better, I guess.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

1 Ok first its just a tech demo, and has room for improvment

2 It has to be optomized as with everyother engine like unreal 3 or cryengine 2. I remember the first vids of unreal 3 had bad frames, but look at it now, after gears of war 1 the unreal 3 has been immensivly moddified. So this is the same with this engine it can improve.

3 it was just showing a few features not everything

4 We know that the Wii is slightly more powerful than the xbox 1 so we can have graphics like Conker Live and reloaded which seemed good to me even today, and even more.

5 the wii is capable of even better graphics for example sadness is utlizing the engine oblivion uses which is better than what we just saw.

6 There are other aspects of games beside graphics even though it gives it a nice touch.

End result: It should be obvious the wii is capable of more so dont get worried or dissapointed