am i the only one who thinks suber mario galaxy was not that great...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

senses_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 senses_blank
Member since 2008 • 532 Posts

it was fun for the time being but it dosent give any reason to go back and find all the stars...and it was incredibly easy

maybe the 360 has just spoiled me with replay value because of the achievements system

x_SuperMario_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 x_SuperMario_x
Member since 2008 • 1665 Posts

I don't need achievements for playing a game, so I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy. In my opinion, its one of the best games this generation has seen.

doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
Meh...I own a 360...and achievements don't do much for me. Either I enjoy a game or I don't; thus, either I attempt the achievements or I don't.
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts

i uh, did the same thing i've always done on mario games. saved the princess, wehnt head-first into star collecting, got bored, quit, and picked it up two years later thinking it was a classic, finishing all 120 stars.

except, it hasn't been two years yet, and i still don't have the coin star on that one rainbow level in the grandfather clock.

other than that, maybe i'm jsut getting too old for this, but it wasn't as fun...

-Sigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 -Sigil-
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

I don't need achievements for playing a game, so I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy. In my opinion, its one of the best games this generation has seen.

x_SuperMario_x

Well said

triforced3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 triforced3
Member since 2003 • 78 Posts

I loved super mario galaxy-

my only complaint was the end difficulty, personally i think it should have been much steeper.

The Bouts with Bowser were ridiculously easy, personally i thought the mole and bouldergeist were 10x more difficult.

(at least with the daredevil comet, which i found to be a pretty gimicky source of difficulty.)

i think the levels should of gotten harder as the game progressed, instead the core game is quite easy with the exception of a few harder missoins peppered through-out Super Mario Galaxy. A setting for Mario/Platforming veterans would of been appreciated.

doctores143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#8 doctores143
Member since 2007 • 3016 Posts

it was fun for the time being but it dosent give any reason to go back and find all the stars...and it was incredibly easy

maybe the 360 has just spoiled me with replay value because of the achievements system

senses_blank

Yea xbox has spoiled 75% of gamers. The 25% of gamers that have stuck with nintendo know that online play and acheivments arent important to a game. They are like sprinkles on ice cream and it dissapoints me how people today hate nintendo because theyre online isnt good. As for replayability of the game. I got all 242 stars in the game. It just felt good to get all the stars:D

blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
yes, yes you are.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
For any serious gamer I think 120 stars is the minimum to play through to get the overall feel of the game before making any final judgements. The minimum amount of stars to collect to access the final bout with Bowser is too easy. imo it was aimed for casuals to be able to beat it up to that point and not be turned away from any difficult levels. The difficulty gets pretty tough if you go for at least 120.
x_SuperMario_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 x_SuperMario_x
Member since 2008 • 1665 Posts

For any serious gamer I think 120 stars is the minimum to play through to get the overall feel of the game before making any final judgements. The minimum amount of stars to collect to access the final bout with Bowser is too easy. imo it was aimed for casuals to be able to beat it up to that point and not be turned away from any difficult levels. The difficulty gets pretty tough if you go for at least 120.LINKloco

Well said, I completely agree. Most people can acquire the 60 stars, but Nintendo left incentive for the dedicated gamers to go further, where it became more challenging.

blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts

[QUOTE="LINKloco"]For any serious gamer I think 120 stars is the minimum to play through to get the overall feel of the game before making any final judgements. The minimum amount of stars to collect to access the final bout with Bowser is too easy. imo it was aimed for casuals to be able to beat it up to that point and not be turned away from any difficult levels. The difficulty gets pretty tough if you go for at least 120.x_SuperMario_x

Well said, I completely agree. Most people can acquire the 60 stars, but Nintendo left incentive for the dedicated gamers to go further, where it became more challenging.

how much more challeging does it get ?

radicalplace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 radicalplace
Member since 2005 • 2010 Posts
Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
Didn't enjoy it as much as Sunshine and the N64 one, but I think it's still pretty awesome.
betsyfay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 betsyfay
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.radicalplace

how was it untrue? it seems l9ike people hate inovation, hate when things stay the sme, and hate both, I dont get it. I loved mario Galaxy and i realy do not see why people could not love its ingeinous levil desigh and gameplay. people are just never satsified.

oh and online does not make a game better.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Wat are you saying Super Mario Galaxy was the best game in 07 that Nintendo created.
radicalplace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 radicalplace

[QUOTE="radicalplace"]Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.betsyfay

how was it untrue? it seems l9ike people hate inovation, hate when things stay the sme, and hate both, I dont get it. I loved mario Galaxy and i realy do not see why people could not love its ingeinous levil desigh and gameplay. people are just never satsified.

I like the innovation and the evolution but what it really lacked was the openness of the levels. This really annoyed me. I loved Mario levels for being open but in SMG your limited to certain planets depending on what star you choose. I would have rather been allowed to go to any planet I want. Missions were also very short compared to previous ones. The HUD wasn't very detailed either. Peach's castle and Delfino Plaza were very interesting places and had little secret levels here and there. There are no secret levels in Rosalina's space ship with the exception of the Green stars but they weren't very secret.

betsyfay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 betsyfay
[QUOTE="betsyfay"]

[QUOTE="radicalplace"]Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.radicalplace

I like the innovation and the evolution but what it really lacked was the openness of the levels. This really annoyed me. I loved Mario levels for being open but in SMG your limited to certain planets depending on what star you choose. I would have rather been allowed to go to any planet I want. Missions were also very short compared to previous ones. The HUD wasn't very detailed either. Peach's castle and Delfino Plaza were very interesting places and had little secret levels here and there. There are no secret levels in Rosalina's space ship with the exception of the Green stars but they weren't very secret.

to me it felt like more of the 2D ones. I felt that it did have some open ended levils two though. I liked the hud and the way it worked, but I do not play mario games for huds, I also loved the setting and it did not give me a hedache like delfino plaza.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
I loved it, but for some reason I remember Sunshine being a bit more enjoyable for me personally.
But maybe that's because I loved Sunshine's setting so much.

Galaxy was more impressing though, that's for sure.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

[QUOTE="radicalplace"]Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.betsyfay

Normally I'd make a rude comment and laugh at how much denial you're in, but I thought I'd make this logical.

I really depends on the game. SMG would not benefit from any online that I can think of, so in that case you a correct.

However, you're wrong when it comes to a game like SSBB. Sure the single-player has been tweaked, but it starts to drag near the end and doesn't leave much incentive for multiple playthroughs. Combine that with the fact that you can only face off against CPU's for so long... (some people longer that others)... This makes the online addition to brawl much welcomed. It adds tons of replay value and lets people with no friends in the immediate area capable to brawling with other people.

Now if you can't see how that makes SSBB that much better then go to an eye doctor, cause you are blind...

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I thought it was good, but nowhere near they hype it got. Yes the levels were linear and I couldn't choose where I wanted to go and accidently find another star than the one I was supposed to. The games difficulty is severely unbalanced. It goes from extremely easy to extremely hard. That is ridiculous. Doing the same star over again only under a time limit or with 1 hit really isn't a different goal. I thought it was also cheap how bowsers gave you stars instead of keys. It felt like they ran out of ideas and just slapped tweaks to things and said here is a different goal, even though it was the same. I thought gravity would have played a better role in what you did as in some planetoids had strong gravity menaing mario couldn't jump as high and some would have barely any meaning mario might jump too high. Maybe on one half the planet the gravity would be extremely strong and the other half it would be weak so then you would have to think about how to approach situations. The secret stars were dumb a lot of them were feed the hungry luma and that was just stupid. The find the luigi in a level was just retarded. The observatory was very boring and uninteresting. All the goals were very similar and unchanged from sunshine and 64. It was race this guy and so on. Ghost and Bee mario were horrible compared to wing cap and the others. The bee was real slow the ghost one was barely used. Since this mario game has been planned since before GC I thought it would have been significantly better than it was.

This game was supposed to be mario 128.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#22 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy was an amazing achievement in my opinion. Every single level felt different and it was amazing that Nintendo made every level different but still fun to play. Yes it was easy but still a fine achievement. A game that amazed me from beginning to end.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

This game was supposed to be mario 128. gamenerd15

Obviously, you're not as much of a game nerd as you claim to be. Mario 128 turned into Pikmin, NOT Mario Galaxy.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

senses_blank

If you need achievements while playing the brilliant Mario Galaxy, have your Mom stand behind you as you play and have her clap and yell "Good Job!" whenever you get a star.

There. Problem solved.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy along with MGS4 are the best games of this gen, so yes, you are the only one.
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
I hate 3D platformers. I found SMG extremely boring.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

The levels were neat, but I got bored with it.

Mjer885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mjer885
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It was a great game at the begging but it seemed to drag on forever so i eventually got bored
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
None the less, the space mario thing has been touted for awhile and I just expected better. No I am not as into games as I used to be because there is hardly anything that truly measures up anymore. Look at No More Heroes, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Worms on wii, Assassins Creed, and Halo 3. None of that lived up to what it was supposed to be at all. Even Mario Kart with no 2 player GP is very disappointing, especially when that is kind of a "core" crowd game. Anyway I stil stand by what I said about SMG. It was pretty good but didn't live up to the hype it got.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

I sort of agree with you.

I thought Galaxy was amazing but i dont think it deserved to be the 2nd best game of all time (now 3rd). but it was still a great game

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts
It was really, really easy, which was dissapointing for me. Awesome game, but should've had more difficult levels.
klarfis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 klarfis
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
I like the comments here that actually describe good or bad qualities of the game, rather than just declaring that it was good or not. So...it's true that the linear levels (of which there were many) didn't really feel like Mario. Yes, there were plenty of relatively linear levels in the 2D games, but those games were two dimensional; often they didn't SEEM very linear, because you could use different parts of the screen (high path, low path, etc.) Also, some elements of Galaxy were overly ONE-D, such as those vines that just carry you along a certain preset path. Some of those were boring. On the positive side, I liked the comets. I thought that they appealed to something a lot of gamers enjoy anyway: trying to go back and improve on their performance, or meet certain conditions. Beating a boss without getting hit forces you to learn everything about that boss. Likewise, for all of the boring or repetitive levels, there were also many innovative, challenging ones, mainly late in the game (stars 110-120). Think of Luigi's Purple coins, or the awesome and extremely tough garbage-bombing on the Dreadnought, which reminded me of Super Mario RPG. The sling-star galaxies were also totally new and exciting. I also thought that the Bowser battles (especially the last one) were really interesting. Sure, he wasn't exactly a killer opponent, but then again, that's kind of the point. Bowser has always looked silly when you face him (think back to his sad little foot shuffle when you knock out his bridge back in SMB). I may finally go back now and play with Luigi. Plus don't forget those opening titles!
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed Mario 64 when I was a kid but it was a good game. Some of the levels really got me excited and my favorite parts were the 2D segments (especially the one where gravity would change to left, right, up or down). I've always liked 2D mario more than 3D mario but w/e. It was a good game that motivated me to get all 120 stars but did not motivate me enough to go back and do it again with luigi. Maybe if I don't play it for a few years I'll come back and do the luigi version.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

senses_blank

I really like the 360's achievement system. However it's "achievement" point system certainly did not re-invent enjoyment and replay value in video games.

The difficulty in Mario Galaxy I thought was perfect (even though a difficulty setting is something that Nintendo really should think about to please less experienced players as well as more experienced players).

The first half of the levels for the most part were more enjoyable than challenging but many of the later stars were a pain in the butt to get. Some of those purple coin levels were a nightmare to complete. It's got levels that provide me with a challenge, while still being family friendly enough for my daughter to play and not get her butt handed to her.

Squire_Ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Squire_Ramza
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
Its no Mario 64, but the gravity effects were very well done and the game was fun even though it lacked any real difficulty. I'd say it was pretty fun and I'd give it an 8.
fon1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37 fon1988
Member since 2005 • 4325 Posts

After reading all the comments I can tell that the main complaint people are having is the difficulty. I agree on that because I think the game was too easy for it's own good. It took me FOREVER to get all 120 stars on Mario 64 but only about a week to get them on Galaxy. To me, it felt that Nintendo was trying to return the gameplay to it's 2-D roots while still holding on to what made the 3-D ones great. I loved the game and have played through it all the way about 4 times now but of course there is always room for improvment.

superdance14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 superdance14
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
Yes, yes you are. Now go back to your 360 you Xbox spamming fanboy.
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
i liked it dude
inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts

senses_blank
I completely agree, although there was that one boss that was a little on the tough side. I believe it was the rock golem or something like that.
Crows55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Crows55
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

I was impressed when I first played it, but like some of you have already said, it got boring after a while.

Is it worth completing the game as luigi or not really?? An answer would be greatly appreciated

radicalplace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 radicalplace

I sort of agree with you.

I thought Galaxy was amazing but i dont think it deserved to be the 2nd best game of all time (now 3rd). but it was still a great game

alexh_99

WHAT THE HECK? WHERE WAS THIS SAID?

meinink2y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meinink2y
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
I never played Suber Mario Galaxy, but Super Mario Galaxy is one of the finest video games I've ever played.
betsyfay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 betsyfay
[QUOTE="betsyfay"]

[QUOTE="radicalplace"]Well I disliked for other reasons. I felt Galaxy was really untrue to 3D mario games.Niff_T

Normally I'd make a rude comment and laugh at how much denial you're in, but I thought I'd make this logical.

I really depends on the game. SMG would not benefit from any online that I can think of, so in that case you a correct.

However, you're wrong when it comes to a game like SSBB. Sure the single-player has been tweaked, but it starts to drag near the end and doesn't leave much incentive for multiple playthroughs. Combine that with the fact that you can only face off against CPU's for so long... (some people longer that others)... This makes the online addition to brawl much welcomed. It adds tons of replay value and lets people with no friends in the immediate area capable to brawling with other people.

Now if you can't see how that makes SSBB that much better then go to an eye doctor, cause you are blind...

Actually It is just my opinion. I would not mind less lag and more online options but I seriously do not feel like hearing some whiny 12 year old kids. if you think I am in denial, then whatever, but That does not change how I feel.

And for everyones information I have pretty high standerds for video games and Galaxy surpassed mine. I think it did deserve its spot and still does. There is a thing I like to call obsessive fan syndrom. This can apply to many things like movies video games aand such. people often hype things to unrealistic expectations and wants seem to become expectations. it happens with many big franchises like star Wars, lord of the Rings, halo, metroid, legend of zelda, Smash Bros, and mario. I think people should just calm down sometimes. We do not always get what we want, and in video games we rarely if ever get exactly what we want. if you spend to much time with what is not there, then you might miss a ton of great stuff that is there.

betsyfay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 betsyfay
And Niff, that eye docter comment was uncalled for.
betsyfay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 betsyfay

I never played Suber Mario Galaxy, but Super Mario Galaxy is one of the finest video games I've ever played.meinink2y

I wholeheartedly agree.