Against The Grain--SMT: Strange Journey (Not Persona 4) -- 6.0, a Fair review?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

User Lists: 0

#1 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I dont have the game yet.. but I had a readthrough the written review--which rubbed off me abit, now skeptical getting it now.

Is Strange Journey worth having an Affair with behind SoulSilvers back?

Agree/Disagree?

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

The game isn't like Persona 4 because its like Etrian Odyssey.

The same grips the reviewer had with this game are what EO was praised for.

Buy this game while you still can, it will probably get a little cheaper but soon DS games won't be made anymore, and then you'll be outta luck.

Nobody complained when the series took on pokemon or Final fantasy aspects for the handheld games. This game is better than a 6. Don't let one website tell you not to.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
western critics dont like dungeon crawlers
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
If you want a first person dungeon crawler, I think it's the game to get. Unlike Etrian Odyssey or Dark Spire, it has a decent narrative going for it. Gamespot gave it the most negative review by far.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

The review automatically failed when the reviewer compared the game to Persona 4. Plus a 6 out of 10 is way to low of a score for the game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not a fair review at all imo. The game is among the best you can get for the DS. If you enjoy SMT games, and especially if you enjoyed Nocturne, get it. The only real difference from Nocturne is that it's first person with a different setting. I hear it's similar to SMT 1 & 2 but I've not played those games.

It's really not comparable at all to Persona 4 and Devil Survivor, so I have no idea why the reviewer did that.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Hmmm. Comparing SMT Strange Journey to Persona 4 is kind of odd because I know many SMT fans really don't consider the Persona series as MegTen games. Anyway, no big deal if the score is low. Gamepro and some other sites gave it a lower score too. There are more good scores over bad so I don't have any real problems with it as long we personally enjoy the game. Nostalgia got horrible scores, as well as Sands of Destruction and Glory of Heracles but I still enjoyed them for what they were.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Hmmm. Comparing SMT Strange Journey to Persona 4 is kind of odd because I know many SMT fans really don't consider the Persona series as MegTen games.ASK_Story

This cannot be said enough.

I was in the middle of making a far harsher topic with the title 'Gamespot reviews Not Persona 4!" when I saw this posted. I blame my need to link demon children for the delay.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

The review automatically failed when the reviewer compared the game to Persona 4. Plus a 6 out of 10 is way to low of a score for the game.

jasonharris48
omg he did?
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 illmatic87

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Hmmm. Comparing SMT Strange Journey to Persona 4 is kind of odd because I know many SMT fans really don't consider the Persona series as MegTen games.SirSpudly

This cannot be said enough.

I was in the middle of making a far harsher topic with the title 'Gamespot reviews Not Persona 4!" when I saw this posted. I blame my need to link demon children for the delay.

Like the new thread title? man I feel all guilty now---because I didnt put much effort into my thread, harsh threads are more popcorn worthy. I'll still get the game.. Ive liked all SMT game since lucifers call, probably gonna wait till I get other DS games wrapped up.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
a fair review? i surely dont think so.... complaining about getting lost and unsure of where to go in a dungeon crawler...thats pretty weak, apparently games have to hold your hand now to be better(although i still have a few more dungeons to go through, im sure they will get pretty hectic, but we'll see) an old and outdated negotioation system...i really dont understand this one, how is it outdated? if im not mistaken, something like this has only been in a few games, and a couple of those games(SMT1/SMT2) very, very few people have even played...its an aspect that still feels fresh to me...a lot of demons have interesting things to say too, and overall it is a great alternative to when u just dont feel like battling and need some new demons or some macca/items the story may come off as a bit "preachy" but ive been thoroughly enjoying and been sucked into it thus far leaves out a lot of important positive details of the game, such as... ON THE FLY/ANYTIME demon fusing and registering/buying from compendium which i found to be an incredibly handy feature tons of various forma to collect for creation of multitude of weapons/armor/apps/etc an alignment system based off particular dialogue choices that determines multiple possible endings, and coop demon attack in battle for any demons/you that are within the same alignment...which becomes a very useful in tougher battles down the stretch buffing/defuffing/statusailments continue to be a solid factor in battling like previous smt entries, which i love and the overall balance/flow/pacing of all the MC/demons/enemy's stats, exp, overall strength.....if that makes any sense :lol:hard for me to describe hell, i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt even finish the game...but i hope id be wrong about that
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It's just one review, an opinion. No need to get all worked up over it. Just enjoy the game.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]It's just one review, an opinion. No need to get all worked up over it. Just enjoy the game.

no need to tell me to just enjoy...i decided to write all that how i felt because i enjoy the game so much and because ive been coming to gamespot for a long time now and for the most part enjoy there reviews, and this is probably one of the most disagreeing ones ive come across here
Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Gamespot and IGN have flat out, no idea, how to review/rate a JRPG. Your better off getting honest, objective, better reviews about RPG's from dedicated RPG gaming sites.

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
that review was clearly rushed it is best to disregard it entirely. Besides look at the user votes and wat other critics have said. you will see that they are praising the game for wat it is..a GOOD game. The fact that he compared it to persona 4 and devil survivor is an utter joke and its even more hilarious when he says fans of those games will not like this one LMAO. i loved both those games, and i love this one too. This guy clearly had no idea wat he was talking about and was just anxious to get back to pokemon
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

its even more hilarious when he says fans of those games will not like this one LMAOreaver-x

he did what?
dont feel like reading the review but really O.o
I admit I am still kinda new to the entire series and back tracking is really hard but man.. I love the series so far and this game is no exeption

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
its a 10/10 get it its tough and hardcore though.
Regent192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Regent192
Member since 2009 • 6789 Posts

really they need another person to review this game

I got it and it's awsome.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
The story has been under-talked about imo as well. everyone is like "well its got a decent story" I think its a good story that makes you want to keep going. Especially compared to 90% ds games, it way better story-wise.
Celest-Jirachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Celest-Jirachi
Member since 2010 • 186 Posts

I agree and the game definately deserves a 10 out of 10.

Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Abecale

The people have spoken, someone must be fired for this insolence.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 illmatic87

Abecale
oh its you... welcome to my thread dude, yeah its just that the written review wasn't all to convincing---almost nothing good came out of it. Ah well cant complain.. getting the game and it was GS that informed me about it in the 1st place with decent coverage. thread discussion is done I think ps. how come my SMT: Strange Journey thread didn't have admins or mods like spazz? am I bad at this forum thing? is it my sig? webexeo:29 illmatic87: 22 :(
Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Abecale
[QUOTE="Abecale"]

illmatic87
oh its you... welcome to my thread dude, yeah its just that the written review wasn't all to convincing---almost nothing good came out of it. Ah well cant complain.. getting the game and it was GS that informed me about it in the 1st place with decent coverage. thread discussion is done I think ps. how come my SMT: Strange Journey thread didn't have admins or mods like spazz? am I bad at this forum thing? is it my sig? webexeo:29 illmatic87: 22 :(

Heeey long time no speak! Haha How ya been? Your like, the only other australian i know on here! Lol i was just annoyed at gamespot for their recent RPG reviews of late. I hope you enjoy the game tho! Thats what its all about :) Its a good game! And i dunno, i dont keep up with mods lol
webxeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 webxeo
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts

lol this is exactly what i had to complain about in my other review.. see how the poster is basing his decision of purchase on the game solely based upon 1 gamespot review.. ugh.. lame..

dude.. the review was meh.. some ok points but leaves a lot of the good stuff out.. almost as if it was deliberately left out? :/

well.. thats my "opinion" of the review at least :P

Get the game .. its worth it.. dont be a dumb dumb :P