Advance Wars- Days of Ruin vs Dual Strike for beginner

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts
I ahve just played a little bit of Advance Wars 2 Black Hole Rising on the GBa and found it hard too. So now my question is that lets say I can get my hands on either Dual Strike or Days of Ruin, which one do you think I should get as a beginner. Whats are the pros and cons of each game? Can I play online with Dual Strike? When playing online in either of the games, can I specify if I am a beginner or not and then I get to play with someone of my level rather than an insomniac 12 year old with no life (no offense intended to 12 year olds).
Seffora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Seffora
Member since 2005 • 1972 Posts

It's kind of a catch-22 with Dual Strike Vs. Days of Ruin. While Dual Strike is a sequel, so you should play though the first two to get the most out of it, it's the easier of the DS Advance Wars. Meanwhile Days of Ruin is a whole new plot-line so you don't need to know anything about the older AW games to "get it" but it's the harder of the two.

Overall I would recomend Dual Strike to a beginner over Days of Ruin to beginners, but, as a vet, I still think Days of Ruin is the better game.

here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Dual Strike:

Pros: more to unlock, easier, more COs, *Dual Strikes, more light-hearted story/artwork, 200+ hours worth of things to do

Cons: easier :P, **Less balanced, some new modes don't fit in well (I'm looking at you Combat Mode), no online

*Dual Strikes are special moves you use that allows you to have two turns in a row thanks to the new tag-team system

**unfortunatly it hurts the game's balance making it more about the dual strikes and less about your actual combat strategy

Days of Ruin:

Pros: More mature themes, harder, more balanced units, online play, 100+ hours of things to do

Cons: Less to unlock, *No War Room, **less units, less COs

*Room Room was a staple of the AW games, it was a mode that let you play though 40+ maps and attempt to get the best ranking you could, a favorite of vet players.

**There were a few units that got canned in Days of Ruin, but it ended up making the game more balanced so it's not really a "con", although some people do miss the old units.

Finally as to online play:

You are able to play against "Rivals" which is other people with the same win-lose ratio as you, to try to keep things balanced online. That or you can play with people who have traded friends codes with you. Friend matches let you use voice chat and gives you way more options for the match.

vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts
Dual Strike any day of the week. It is AMAZING.
greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts
thanks for the reply. hmmm so if i can get my hands on dua lstrike i will get that. but if i dont then should i get bays of ruin? i dont really get a lot of time to play so i normally like games which are quick and less story lined. thats why i nd to only like games above 9.0 ratings. its rare for me to like a game under 9.0.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Get Dual Strike first if you can, Days of Ruin can get punishingly difficult if you're not that familiar with the Advance Wars franchise.
arctrooper48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arctrooper48
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts

I say get Dual Strike first.

It took me 5 hours to do a mission in Days of Ruin.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

I don't see why everyone thinks Advance Wars is so hard :?

Anyways, Dual Strike has a normal and a hard mode option. Its normal is about the same difficulty as Days of Ruin, so it just comes down to which looks more appealing -- most people consider DS to be better, so go with Dual Strike imo.

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

None of the changes in Days of Ruin made the franchise better, if you ask me. Days of Ruin annoyed me pretty fast.

Dual Strike, however, is a blast. The best Advance Wars by far. The learnin curve and beginner's missions are excellent. If you're new to the franchise, definatly get Dual Strike.

jouvjouv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 jouvjouv
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts

I find Days of ruin easily better.

Although I've beaten the first game, and played a few others, the previous games felt too kidish for me. It's fun, and never felt like it was anything serious. Not that I'm complaining, but I just wanted a more realistic, with a darker there AW, and that's the DOR. In the previous Advanced wars, it never really felt like a war.

The gameplay has been greatly balanced, wifi, better music (The original music was again, too childish for my liking), better plot, darker theme, and so on. Although the only disappointing part was that there wasn't a War Room, and less COs, but the story made up for it. I haven't beaten Dual strike, but Days of ruin is still the best in the series, in my opinion.

This is just my personal preferance. Everyone has their own opinion, so this is how I am.

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
They are both pretty difficult. Uhh... I prefer dual strike honestly.
gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
I think Days of Ruin is a little easier...
...now that I think about it. Dual Strike.
titanium2108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 titanium2108
Member since 2008 • 305 Posts
I have played alot of the Advance Wars games (GBA and DS). You can play any of them without following the storyline. Get whichever game you want, it doesn't matter. I personally prefer Days of Ruin and here is 2 reviews to make you want it :D